-
AuthorContent
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9083923

Finally have the seedlings out of the house, hardened off, and in the ground! 21 peppers, 10 tomatoes, and 12 okra plants. Feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. My first time starting my garden from seed and I started way way too many seeds. I was lucky though that a local non profit community garden took all my extra plants! I will definitely do a few things different next year but so far a success!

-Vaughn
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9083929

Congrats!!! At least you didn't make the mistake I made by having too few! I waaaay over estimated how much each plant produced, LOL! Ya live and ya learn. good thing I wasnt dependent on only what I could grow... I'd starve!
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 15, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9083947

Live and learn is right for sure! Next year don't start tomatoes in mid February, wait until March. I figured for a first timer I would lose a lot more seedlings but every one of them made it. Must be luck lol

-Vaughn
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9083952

LOL! here in zone 9a, March is a good time for tomatoes... otherwise, wait longer and it gets too hot. plant again in the Fall!

wish I were as 'lucky' as you!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9085038

Vaughn - I start tomato and sweet peppers around March 18th and the seedlings are ready to set out four weeks later.

I've already set out six tomatoes and twelve sweet peppers.

I'm keeping more back just incase the weather turns cold (again.) The weather prognosticator said it's going down to 42F next Sunday night!
rwaterspf1
Durham, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9085236

HB, I started a little earlier. hot peppers and tomatoes Feb 15 and the okra Feb 20. It was about the right time for the peppers as they were about 5-6 inches tall. The tomatoes I will start later as they are about a foot tall lol.

-Vaughn
scarletbean
Newport, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9088636

What a great idea for the "extra" plants! Maybe there is a similar organization near me. I have so many peppers. Happily this year, almost every seed germinated and gave a good strong effort. so, i have a lot of pepper starts and no more room. My friends have taken some but still, there are too many.
I put almost everything in the ground last week.Tomatoes,peppers, cukes, melons,green onions, green,lima and wax beans are ok, they were direct seeded. Now they have true leaves. So far so good. Temps have been on the cool side(50-60) at night. days are in 70s. Anyone think it will stunt the growth?
Yesterday was cool and rainy which gave me a happy surprise this a.m.- peas are flowering! yay!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9088653

My peas started blooming yesterday. "Sugar Sprint" seeds were sown on March 8th.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma regarding transplanting more tomatoes. We had some nice rain over the past two days, but the forecast later in the week calls for overnight temperatures in the 40's again. If I don't get them set out soon they won't bear fruit before August. We had triple digits last August and the tomato plants died.
synsfun
Lake Charles, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9099645

i am real leery about our summer here this year, we didnt even had a winter, just a couple of cool fronts. i think our summer will be brutal including the humidity.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9099660

I agree with you, synsfun. Our winter here was extremely mild, makes me very nervous about the upcoming summer!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9099995

If August has triple digits again this year, I'll have to change the way I grow tomatoes next year. I'll have to figure out a way to have older transplants ready in the house to go into the garden around the end of April instead of the 6 week old seedlings I've been setting out this year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America