Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Unable to germinate Hardenbergia

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 23, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

April 15, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9084183

Hi.

I think the question is related to seed germination but Hardenbergia being an australian native, maybe you guys could help me. I am unable to germinate seeds of hardenbergia violac. I tried boiling water, scarification, soaking in water(seeds did swell) but none worked. I have a temperature of around 20-25 these days, late spring early summer. any tips? Should i try zip lock baggie method after seeds swell up?

Khabbab
www.lahoregardening.com

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 15, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9084184

Rub them lightly with nail file or sandpaper just enough to break the skin,soak overnight then plant .^_^
Good luck.

chrissy
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

April 15, 2012
11:44 PM

Post #9084187

Crissy, thanks for the reply. I already did that. But no success. The seeds are from Chiltern Seeds UK.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 16, 2012
12:00 AM

Post #9084192

Khabbab, I took seeds from my Hardenbergia violacea and just put them straight into seedling mix and watered and up they came. Maybe the seed is not fresh. Your temps should be okay so the next lot you try I would do that. Good luck. Colleen
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9100869

Something came up but i doubt if it is hardenbergia seedling, instead something else. Can some one confirm if it is hardenbergia seedling or not? The second set of leaves does not look like hardenbergia but maybe true leaves still to come.

Thanks

Khabbab

Thumbnail by khabbab
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 28, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9100894

Khabbab it looks like a Cedar tree. I do hope you find those elusive Hardenbergia. Colleen
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

May 16, 2012
1:52 AM

Post #9125589

After i have failed all the tries for germination, i complained to the Chiltern seeds UK the sellers. This as their reply:

We think that they could take many months to germinate and they will also very probably benefit from stratification/exposure to cold.

Now should i try cold stratification? Because if seeds are good and seeds do swell after scarification and i tried all possible mixes for germination but no result.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 2, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9149787

I bought some packets of vermiculite which had been "Soaked in smoke". The explanation was that these Au peas pop up after fires, because of heat, and smoke, so mine have been scarified, soaked overnight in warm water, they are in moist paper towels and when the roots come out, I will mix the vermiculite with the potting mix & put them in that to see if that helps. Let me know how it works out for you. Judy Showers.
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9152633

Still waiting. I have had these packets of vermiculite soaked in smoke since last year. maybe the smoke all leaked out (smile). Guess I gotta look up one of my cigarette-smoking friends & see if I can get them to breathe on the vermiculite and/or the beans which have been nicked & soaked.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 4, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9152645

You put the seeds on 2 of sheets of newspaper and burn the newspaper, when cool soak in warm water overnight (or two nights) until you see the seeds swell.
The seeds may be no good if that does not work.
Fresh from the pod seeds do not require this treatment, but older seeds do.
Good luck with them. Don't use fertilizer on the seedlings and don't over water.

chrissy
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 4, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9152662

Chrissy, but I have already nicked & soaked the seeds. Will that harm the seeds once they are nicked & soaked? Some of them look green inside the shell. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Judy Showers.

p.s. I forgot to mention that I sprinkled a little of presmoked vermiculite in the moist paper towel with the seeds. Maybe that helped?

This message was edited Jun 5, 2012 8:52 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

June 4, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9152692

I don't know if it will harm them once the seedcase is penetrated.
Did you soak them in very hot water ?
I would imagine if they are green inside, they are still viable.
Soak in hot water overnight then place between wet kitchen paper into an airtight baggie in a warm place.
I can only tell you what I would do,
If the seeds swell in the hot water, then they are ready to plant out. You won't need a baggie treatment.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

June 4, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9152791

This link may help.
I know it contains most of the info you have been given, but may be helpful anyway.

http://anpsa.org.au/seed.html

Jean.
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

June 5, 2012
1:20 AM

Post #9152816

Well in my case, seeds do swell with scarification and then soaking in warm water but do not germinate afterwards. How can i check the inside is green or not?
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9153708

I guess I will be planting my seeds tomorrow. I looked up the mix & it said 80-85% washed river sand to 15-20% peat and that could have been part of my problem, not using the correct mix. Will let you know if they grow. Thanks for your help, Buttoneer (Judy Showers, Carlisle, Pa USA)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9153852

Well, I ended up planting the seeds a short while ago since they were beginning to sprout!!! Yea! I have had these seeds for a couple of years and am extremely happy that some of them are sprouting. The ones that I noticed Sprouting were the black Kennedya nigricans and white Hardenbergia violacea var. alba. Here's a picture. Not sure which one these are but they are rooting.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9153862

Khabbab, you can see the green color right through the seed coat but the key is making them swell. After mine had swollen, I put them in damp paper towels and put in a plastic bag for a couple days and planted when I noticed them beginning to root.
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

July 5, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9194877

This seedling came up from the soil bed where i had thrown some hardenbergia violacea seeds. Is this seedling hardenbergia?

Thumbnail by khabbab

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

July 5, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9194881

:) success !
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

July 5, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9194889

I am too glad to believe. Any chances it is hyacinth bean vine(dolichos labab)?
Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 8, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9268866

I think birds are dropping seeds in your garden!

This is Hardenbergia Violacea:

The leaves are long and narrow, about 2-1/2" long, flowers quite tiny, but very beautiful.

Thumbnail by Gabi65

khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

September 11, 2012
12:05 AM

Post #9271628

Gabi, you are correct, yours is hardenbergia but mine is not. Still trying to germinate the seeds :(
Gabi65
Newcastle(NSW)
Australia
(Zone 10a)

September 13, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9274678

The seeds need to be in the ground when a bushfire goes over, which is very quick. Try collecting a very dry grass and put it on top of the spot where you have planted the seeds and set fire to it! If you have any growing in your area, collect some dead gum (Eucalyptus) tree leaves and add those to the grass, it may help?? Then water in the ash.

Best I can do!

Good luck
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

September 16, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9277382

I will definitely do as you suggested. Will let you know if i succeed. I already tried smoke water but in vain. thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America