Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Frost damage-?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9084628

We had a few freezes last week and now some of my potato plant leaves are sort of wilted looking with black edges. There are no bugs on them or any (other) signs of disease. They were due to be covered with more dirt (about 8" tall) so I watered them, which perked them up a little and covered them with soil. The day before the first freeze I had noticed that they were a little dry, so I watered them thoroughly. I didn't cover them because I thought potatoes could handle a light freeze/frost. Am I correct in suspecting that this may have been freeze damage on the leaves? If so, do you think my potatoes are okay?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9084748

Sounds like frost damage to me. I think as long as the potates under ground were not affected by frost, they will be okay. I don't grow potatoes, so perhaps someone who does, and is more knowledgeable, will come along with a different answer.
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9084792

Yes, your desciption sounds like frost damage. They should bounce back.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9084876

Thanks y'all!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America