-
AuthorContent
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9084713

I'll be very busy this coming week planting but wanted to get this thread going. Here it is, the beginning of the 2012 RU thread. A separate thread will be started for trades. I have pretty much cut and pasted last year's invitation withur adjustments to the date...

Okay, back by popular demand, we're going to do it. The date is Saturday, June 23th, from 10:00 a.m.- 4:00 p.m.. Reread this post as needed. The guest list will be updated here.

Plant swaps will be conducted on a separate 2012 RU and White Elephant Swap thread. Please discuss plant info there to keep this planning thread from getting clogged. We can have another white elephant swap if there are willing participants. There is no garden gift, new or used, that goes unappreciated by a fellow gardener and none to small to share. It's a good way to clean out your garden closet.

The gathering will include a bagels, muffins and coffee greeting for arrivals before 12:p.m. and a pot luck luncheon afterwards. We are providing grilled kosher hot dogs, fixings, a variety of sandwiches, goodies from the garden, etc. for lunch. We are requesting help with side dishes and desserts. If you plan to come let me know by DMail ASAP. You may bring one non-DG guest. Please communicate with me by D Mail if you would like for anyone else to join your group. We reserve the right to have or not have additional outside guests.

Our location is within seven miles of downtown Cleveland, GA.. We will provide a map and directions to the final RSVP list right before the RU. We will provide information on motel accommodations if requested. There are several budget friendly options. The area and time are beautiful for weekending. If I hear from singles desiring to share space I will connect you for room sharing.

If you are new to DG or RUing and have questions, please ask. Don't be shy. Some of us have met at past RUs, some of us have never met but have become posting friends over the years here at DG.

Do not bring pets. We have two large dogs that are fenced during the RU. Our large game hound does not take to other animals on the property. When she's unhappy, everyone is unhappy.

*This is a reminder to bring sunscreen, a hat and a folding camp chair if you can spare one.
Thanks,
Laurel

GUEST LIST:

1) MaypopLaurel (Laurel) and SO (Steve)
2) Wholyhosta (Brenda) and Sandy bringing horcheta (wondeerful Mexican drink) and dessert plates
3) RandyRick (Randy) for sure & bringing ice and chips and salsa.
4) Kiseta (Etelka) Tabbouleh salad with couscous and a special Eastern European walnut roll.
5) JudyinGA (Judy) Hot dog buns and paper plates
6) Digger (Sally) and Johnny. Texas slaw.
7) Eufauala (Lynn) maybe if life allows
8) mqiq77 (Mike)
9) Cindy_GA (Cindy) and SO or guest
10) AdminTerry (Terry) and SO
11) DD (Emily) and Beau (Evan) soon to be bride and groom
12) Mud_Elf
13) kdfisher (Ken)
14) ChooChooGal and guest

This message was edited Jun 18, 2012 10:09 PM
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 17, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9085694

Thanks, Laurel! Sound good.

So the date is the 23rd, not the 28th!

Look forward to it. I have plants ready for a trade list!!! So does Sandy!

~Brenda
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9085754

Count me in - and my friend Bonnie who came with me last time. She has a lot of good plants too. I will post for her on the other thread.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9086425

Super. Sounds like a party already!
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

April 17, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9086660

Yeah, Randy, ya better after teasing us with all your garden photos...a mix of fellers and gals show up~ we trade like crazy, then sit around catching up and then we have a feast fit for royalty!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9086681

Count me in, hope to have still some plants and will bring goodies.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9087585

Great! You've been added.

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9087662

Do I dare even try again? LOL. I would so love to meet you guys. I do have portable oxygen now so I won't tire out as easily. Heck. I might even have something to share this year. Put me down as an iffy maybe, Laurel. I'm going to put it on my calendar IN INK! Will bring either pasta salad, potato salad or baked beans. Is that okay?

Judy
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9088702

Judy, I applaud your efforts to get to Maypop every year. We'd love for you to come. Remind me, if needed, of your pot luck further down the line. You are added.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 19, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9089469

Put me down , I'll have to confirm later . I;m working around a lot of Dr appts for both me and Johnny .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9090037

I'll put you and Johnny down. Hopefully you won't have a Saturday appointment. Besides, you have my azaleas. :)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 20, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9090215

They are looking pretty good too . May not have to cut them back .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9090220

Must be the cool, wet weather. Tell Johnny to get his hot dog bib on.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 20, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9090263

He likes hot dogs better than getting his back scratched !
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9090516

Well, you'll have to scratch his back. I've got a garden to get in. lol
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 20, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9090672

I just walked the back yard and have a weeks worth of cutting , pruning, raking ,herbicide spraying , chipping to do . Oh, where will I have the time and energy ? He can scratch his own back .
I hope to get to the roundup and root some plants to share .I need a break with friends .

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9095572

Thanks for the invitation Laurel. Im so busy here lately with work and my traveling South to help my Parents, and obligations with the Atlanta Poultry Meetup group. I never know how to schedule any personal time! So if you would be so kind as to hold open my "Spot" I will definitely try to make it if Im in the north Georgia area that day! I never know from day to day where I might be! Eufaula ( Lynn)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9096212

Eufaula, your spot will be held as a "maybe". You are always welcome. I chuckled when you said you never know from day to day where you might be. I never know from day to day where I am. I've learned to open one eye before rolling out of bed. Might be I'm rolling in the wrong direction.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9096315

Hey Laurel, put me and Kenny down as a maybe! I would love to see everyone again!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9100196

Nutz, you and Kenny made our "A" list. lol
Chatters
Doraville, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9100222

I won't have my summer plans decided for a while, so I don't know right now if I will be in Georgia that week or not.
Please let me know if there is a deadline to RSVP. :D
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9100238

No deadline but it helps with planning to know as early as possible. Glad you found the link.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9100984

Save me a seat...I've got it on my calendar. (Fingers crossed that nothing gets in my way this year :-) I'll scheme up a side dish when we get a bit closer to the date, if that's okay.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9101693

Terry, a seat has been reserved for you. Bring a friend or family. Hopefully that old car will not present last minute problems. Now that you're in the new house you should put up a wish list. Georgia has some amazing gardeners. You can always add haves later.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9101932

Thanks, Laurel...I want to make sure my eyes aren't bigger than my gardens for now. I'll probably drive my "Bertha" rather than the old HIghlander. Unless gas prices shoot up again. Bertha has a bit of a drinking problem but Swimmer Girl will probably be working and need her "Nemo" that weekend. Maybe I'll drag my husband with me; any golf courses in the vicinity? He has been known to drop me off at Round-Ups, go play a round and come back in time for food :-)
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9102309

Terry, there are two courses within 15-20 minutes of the cottage. http://www.worldgolf.com/courses/usa/georgia/cleveland/mossy-creek-golf-club.html and http://www.worldgolf.com/courses/usa/georgia/helen/innsbruck-golf-club-semi-private.html EFGeorgia1/Elaine's husband played one of the courses when she did the RU one year. I don't know which one. Maybe she'll weigh in with a recommendation.

We are off to Maypop today. Round three of planting is about to commence. Moving along. Rumors of rain this week have proven false. Not good.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9127640

Digger has invited me to join you all this year. So if things work out, I will be comming up with another DGer Goldhillal.

I can make brownies,, if needed.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9127684

You will be very welcome at our RU, Mud. I recall you wanted to come last year and were unable to make it. Great that things are working out this year for you to join us. If you or Goldhillal have wants or give aways please go to the swap thread. Thanks. I will add you.

Laurel
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

May 18, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9128056

Hey, Kris, hope you can make it. Will you be bringing any of the munchkins?

Brenda

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

May 19, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9129393

Where is the trade thread or how do I find it? Never been to a RU before
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9129473

[quote="goldhillal"]Where is the trade thread or how do I find it? Never been to a RU before[/quote]

The one titled 'Plant and White elephant swap'

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252730/

Randy

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9129572

Brenda,,hi!!!!

No sorry Miss Goober will be at camp that week. So just me. and Crystal. You guys will really like her!!!

Is it ok just to bring what I can? As I am not sure what all we can fit in Crystals car. I have some stuff for Digger that I really need to bring that day too. So my plant space is limited. I mostly want to come to visit friends and show Crystal how fun a RU can be.

I know I cannot bring any lotus as it is to late to divide now. ;(

I still have every plant in pots since my move to the new place so at least I will not have to dig...LOL
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 19, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9129741

Looking forward to it , Kris .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9129969

Goldhillal, by now you have hopefully found the plant thread. If there are any questions please DM. No worries about the actually swapping. Put down what you want and if you have something to trade list that too. You can edit your list, if you'd like, over the coming weeks including adding that you are out of a certain plant or seed because of requests. First and foremost it's about socializing with like minded gardeners and not about horse trading plants. There's plenty of food, fun and plants to go around. It's a garden party in the truest sense.

Now for an appeal. Last year, after our super RU, folks left dozens (understatemnt) of unmarked and unclaimed plants. While some of the items were appreciated the clean up was more than we bargained for. Our daughter is getting married in Atlanta four weeks after the RU and we are having a weekend of festivities in and around Maypop cottage. Unfortunately there will be no time to plant out unplanned extras. If you bring plants to share that are not claimed be prepared to take them with you when you leave. Thank you.
Laurel
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9131094

Kris, don't worry about bringing plants. We are looking forward to you and Goldhillal coming to visit. There is enough to go around. I have been unable to propagate in previous years and thought there was no way this year but managed to pot up a variety of plants this past week. Now, if only I can keep them alive between now and the RU.
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 20, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9131330

I'm with you, just over loaded, as others are, but I am 70, and thats a great excuse. Look forward to seeing everyone again, and meeting new faces. Mike
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
3:31 AM

Post #9131446

You know we love to see you Mike. The coffee pot will be waiting.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 21, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9131625

By all means , put the coffee on . (You know how I am )
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 21, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9131918

Oh right, Digger. You're the gal with the bottomless cup. :) Check out the second photo. I was in the middle of potting up the honeysuckle shrub you gave me. to go in the corner of the garden tub and garden fence. The little "mystery" hydrangea in the pot is blooming the prettiest rose colored flowers.

With a little more than a month to go before the RU we are stringing lines for the beans to run and chasing off cabbage worms. The tomatoes are jetting along though there is talk of serious early blight in GA this year that has us concerned. There's a righteous double row of okra up and going. SO built a bower from saplings to run exotic beans from Cindy. Doubtful they will have reached the top by the RU, but you'll get the idea. You have to walk under it to go down the garden path.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel   Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Click an image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 21, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9132611

Looking good .
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9133138

your garden is so very nice! I'm going to bring you some lovely orange lilies to plant between the tomatoes!

I cannot believe I have tomatoes the size of half-dollars this time in May... I started my seeds inside and usually I would be putting in little seedlings about now but this super warm spring? These plants are 4' tall and growing!

edited to say - this pix was May 8th

This message was edited May 22, 2012 7:31 AM

Thumbnail by sterhill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9133429

Wowzers, Sterling, I can't believe it! Those tomatoes look great. Do you have lilies growing between yours. :>) Mine are 18"-2' at this point with just a couple beginning to flower. Mind you, at our elevations, we were in the thirties just a few weeks ago.

DD called last evening to say she is looking forward to meeting my online gardening friends. She tends her city yarden and has an additional vegetable plot nearby. She and her beau have arranged to be with us for our RU weekend and finalize their upcoming wedding weekend plans. We are thrilled!
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9133644

I can taste the BLT's already...
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9133888

You'll have to rearrange your taste buds, Randy, for grilled Nathan's kosher dogs with fixin's and a couple of types of wraps (unless you are bringing the BLTs). :) There will be vegetarian options on the menu for those who prefer meatless. We'll have blueberry, chocolate chip and double chocolate muffins as well as bagels and breads earlier in the day. People usually start noshing when they arrive. We transition into lunch around 1 p.m.. It's as much a food fest as a plant fest. Just ask Sally. Which reminds me, it's time for a...SHOUT OUT!

Below is a list of what I need and suggestions for what would round out the menu...
1. Beverages. We furnish our spring water, coffee and herbed mint tea. If you like soda, punch or other beverages perhaps you will bring some.
2. Sides dishes such as slaw, salads, pickles, baked beans, potato or pasta salad or your favorite recipe. Sally is bringing slaw.
3. Variety of chips and dips or crackers and spreads. Randy is bringing chips and salsa.
4. Desserts. Not too many though 'cause there always seems to be a lot left over.
5. Paper plates; dinner and dessert size. I have cups, napkins and plastic ware from last year so we are otherwise set.

I will add what you're bringing by your name when you let me know. If bringing something besides yourself is a hardship in any way don't worry about it.
Laurel

This message was edited May 23, 2012 3:52 PM
RandyRick
Dahlonega, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9134091

I'll bring 4 bags of ice and some tortilla chips & salsa.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9134150

I will put you down for ice and chips and salsa Randy. Thank you so much.

Wish I was savvy enough to know how to cross things out. Need Terry for that. Where are you Terry? I'll delete that line.
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

May 23, 2012
3:27 AM

Post #9134647

Laurel, I will bring the dinner and dessert plates we need and I'm working on a Mexican based drink, either fruit or herb.

Brenda
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
3:36 AM

Post #9134658

Laurel:

See image. It won't allow an example on the board

Add what words you want with a line through it between the brackets

This message was edited May 23, 2012 5:39 AM

Thumbnail by kdfisher

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 23, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9134677

If anyone doesn't care if I put garlic in it , I can bring southern Tex , sweet cole slaw . Gotta have garlic .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #9134692

Ken, 'splain me when you come.

Sally, garlic is one of the chef's trinities. The other two are chocolate and hot sauce! I'll put you down for slaw. Sounds great.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9134816

[quote="MaypopLaurel"]I will put you down for ice and chips and salsa Randy. Thank you so much.

Wish I was savvy enough to know how to cross things out. Need Terry for that. Where are you Terry? I'll delete that line.[/quote]

Did I hear my name? Here's the instructions for strike throughs: http://davesgarden.com/faq/forums/#131

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 23, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9135191

Oh yes , Laurel , food and friendship first , plant swap is a way to get and give goodies, and a good excuse to eat and visit with ,and make new friends
Laurel always puts a new twist to foods, most I can't pronounce, much less spell .Or ever have eaten .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 23, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9135458

My, what ears you have, Terry! Thanks for the instructional.

And Digger, thanks for the praise.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 23, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9135972

Sure , laurel , gotta keep that good food coming .LOL
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9156161

Laurel, I hate to miss the good times and old and new gardening buddies, I am going to have to cancel.

Brenda
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9157296

We'll miss you, Brenda. Hope all is well your way.
Laurel
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

June 8, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9157406

Sorry to hear you will not make it Brenda!! Please keep in touch!

Brenda
sterhill
Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9163352

I am having to cancel also - My son and his gf are going to move in with me for a month or two while her company relocates her. They are in Chicago and the landlord is insisting on another year's lease or triple the month to month.

Bonnie won't be coming as her mom died quite unexpectedly and she and her dh are clearing out the house.

Ya'll have a great time and be sure to eat one of those lovely hotdogs for me!

Sterling
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9164049

And you will be missed as well, Sterling. However, your son and his GF are welcome to come if you are up to it. Please send our condolences to Bonnie.

Directions will go out later this week/weekend. Please check my May 22nd post to see what is needed. Right now we need sides, desserts and paper plates. No styrofoam or plastic please. I've not purchased hot dog buns if someone wants to bring those. We have a boat load of hot dogs to put them in. Sally's DH is going to eat all the extras.

Laurel

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

June 14, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9164532

I am going to have to withdraw my name from this event also. I am between joy and disappointment. My daughter is coming for a few days (joy), but I have never been to a roundup and was looking forward to my first one (disappointment).
Assuming Kris is still able to come, I hope to send the quince seedlings and a few other things with her. AShe is busily working on her house right now, but I know she is still hoping to come.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9164543

This is disappointing news. Enjoy your visit.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 14, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9164656

That man loves hot dogs . I buy very few of them . Durn , if I can't have Chinese buffet every day , he isn't going to get hot dogs . YEA for Laurel ! LOL. Johnny isn't going to be with me this R U . He has a coin show to visit that conflicts . To each his own .

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9164772

I am still planning on being there!!

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
9:24 AM

Post #9164836

Still on for me (can you believe it?). There is a Democratic Committee function that evening here in Newnan with Andrew Young that I'd REALLY like to attend, but I REALLY want to go to the RU too. Hard decision, but still planning to come to the RU. Since I'm coming such a long way, it would be better for me to bring non-perishables, so put me down for hot dog buns and paper plates ... and anything else on that order that's needed. I never bake and rarely eat sweets so desserts are out for me ... unless it's "store-boughten."

As for sharing plants, there is nothing here that I would think anybody wanted ... "Becky" daisies, plain old purple coneflowers (both just getting ready to bloom), no-name Hostas (and Knockouts) are all I have right now that are big enough to divide. And I'm really not sure how to even do that and keep them alive. LOL. Remember I'm a beginner. I really just want to meet the great people who are on this forum.

And, when the time comes, I'll need somebody's phone number. I'll be driving a 15-year-old van and, if it quits on me, need somebody to call and let you know I'm not gonna make it ... just so you won't think I backed out again. LOL Actually it's in pretty good shape and has very low mileage for its age (157,000). Will also need detailed directions which I think Laurel sends via D-mail. Woo hoo ... I'm excited.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 14, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9165112

I'm counting on you Kris . Can't wait to meet you .
Judy , if you want , you can come to my house and ride the rest of the way with me , or follow me . I'm straight up 400 and two turns .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9165139

YEA to all who plan to schlep from all over Georgia and beyond to eat hot dogs! I only buy them once a year and this is it. Of course there will be other food. I have several wrap fillings on standby, store bought cookies and one box of pastry. There are bagels and muffins for the early birds.

Judy, so cool that you are actually making it up. I'd be torn too but just think...there are lots of functions with Andy and only one a year with us. :) When the time comes you will have contact information. Not to worry about plants. Thanks for the offer of buns (we'll need about two dozen) and paper plates.

Kris, we know you are driving all these miles to meet DG celebrity, Sally. SO and I work the kitchen while Sally works the crowd. We heard she'll be signing autographs in addition to bringing plants. Better come.

Okay, just got a call from our house guest for the next five days. She's on her way from the airport to Maypop. Better go get her room and dinner ready. What a whirlwind; we got here an hour ago.

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9165207

Actually, hot dog buns are perishable, aren't they? I meant something that will keep ... doesn't need to be refrigerated or kept hot. Will bring three dozen for good measure and a boatload of paper plates --- not plastic. And, Digger, I may take you up on your offer to ride part of the way with you. What time are you going to leave? I can't leave the house before daybreak because I can't see!! LOL. And I may have to spend the night up that way. I know there are motels in Dahlonega because I stayed there when we had our 50th NGC class reunion last year. Just depends on how long the RU lasts and whether I can get home before dark. Of course, it will be right at the beginning of summer and the days will be at their longest, so that will help.

OMG. I'm going to meet the famous Digger. OMG. OMG. :-)
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9165229

Judy, you have about 120 ml and should be no more then 3 hours. I have much longer then you and last time we finished about 3:30 pm and I was home before dard. If that help you anyway. Looking forward to see you. Etelka

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9165616

And I'll bring whatever travel-stable item our hostess deems she still needs. (I've already ruled out deviled eggs :-)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 15, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9165985

Judy , If you don't mind house dogs , you could spend the night . They aren't allowed in the bedrooms so you'd have that to yourself . We also don't smoke in the house , so that shouldn't be a problem for you . I'm taking it for granted you don't smoke . Me and D H do. Your're welcome to stay .
If you leave early , we should have loads of time to get there , Maypop isn't but about 20-25 miles from here .
Laurel , you're just funny . Everyone will expect a diva and I'm just a fat old lady with a ponytail .(and lots of street smarts ) Got my education in E Dallas . (Tex )
Private joke . Love ya ,
-
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9166646

The only side dish we have so far is Sally's coleslaw. Bean dishes, green, pasta or potato salad, etc. would be nice. No desserts, that I know of, are on the list except what I have in the freezer. It's a window of opportunity. If you see your name and nothing next to it let me know if I forgot to list your contribution. I do have a bit of updating to do.

Judy, according to MapQuest it will take you two hours and fifteen minutes to get here whether you go 85 or 400. We go 400 and think it's more relaxing. If you go 400 you'll be passing near Sally on the way.

I will probably wait 'til Monday to send info. Very busy with our company and the garden. She's an engineer and has spent the day helping SO replace a rotten beam on Maypop cottage. I mowed the weeds (what grass?) and climbed all over the banks with a string trimmer then unloaded umpteen tractor bucket loads of wood chips into the yard cart and in the garden. Gonna be hurting tonight.

I checked the weather for next week and it's supposed to be good. Overcast so we won't be too hot.

Anyone up for a white elephant swap? I can do it.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9166681

Laurel, how is Tabbouleh salad with cuscuss sound. The other day I have found the recepi and I would like to make some. I know you know how to make these kind of things, but I thought it would travel in the cooler good. I am also making the nut roll (enough for the freezer too) and another walnut pastry that I started to make latley and everybody likes it. I am bringig some plants and some white elephant items too. I always cover all the possibilities. Have a good weekend. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9166700

A tabbouleh salad would be wonderful, Etelka! We love tabbouleh. I've never had it with couscous though. Sounds good. Just told SO about the walnut roll. He says his day is now complete.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9166712

He is sure easy to please, you lucky duck. Ha Ha

Thumbnail by kiseta

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9166730

I am a lucky duck, for sure. Here is a guy who spends endless hours helping me in the garden, then jumps right into this DG RU thing and he is but a vicarious gardener! He is also our hot dog chef. I better be nice to him.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9166930

Ah, then some sort of dessert it shall be.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 16, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9167435

Oh , goodie , lots of sweets .
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9167487

Oh boy...Hot Dogs? I'm ready for an unhealthy eating day! How about adding some deep fried french fries? Like the crinkly kind they serve at Sonnys Bbq...Lot's of ketchup too

white elephant swap?

I must live a sheltered life. What's that?

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9167508

If you're missing sides, I could bring my (family) famous "Top o' the Stove Baked beans." They get rave reviews ... even from my persnickety brother-in-law. Sinfully unhealthy. :-) You start with several jars of B&M Baked Beans and add butter, onions, bacon, brown sugar, Worcestershire, garlic salt and a dash of seasoned pepper ... all simmered in a skillet on the stove. Really good and will go well with the hot dogs. I'll bring those in addition to the paper plates (a gazillion) and hot dog buns (3 doz).

If the three hour drive from Newnan is right, I could leave here at 8 or 9 and still be there by 11 or 12, so I guess I'll drive the whole way. I will probably come up 400 since I hate I-85 going through Gwinnett County. And even if I'm the last to leave the party, I could still get home before dark. So, Digger, I really appreciate the offer of a pillow for my head, but I think I'll be okay. Dogs don't bother me at all, by the way. I used to raise, train and show German Shepherds --- for 30 years. So I'm used to dogs being in the house. That would have been no problem.

Really looking forward to this!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9168137

Judy, the beans sound wonderful and will be appreciated. Thank you.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 16, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9168149

Sounds good Judy . didn't want you trying to drive in the dark . You should have plenty of time to make it home .
I had G S for awhile , years ago . Sweet babies !

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9168151

Digger since I may have to drive alone, I just might want to spend the night up your way.. trying to figure this all out.. Really afraid to make the drive alone...sigh
mqiq77
Danielsville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
8:45 PM

Post #9168215

Hey Judy, I'll bring the buns, and paper plates, you fix those,"Yum" baked beans.C-ya, Mike

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2012
11:30 PM

Post #9168315

Mike, I really don't mind bringing buns and paper plates, but if you'd rather, that's fine with me. I'll just bring the baked beans.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9168411

I will put Mike down for buns & paper goods. Thank you Mike.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9168419

Laurel, you seem like doing the Hoki-poki dance, you know the part of turning your self around and that is wat's all about. You are a better woman then I am, I would say, the kitchen is closed due to illness, I am sick of cooking. But that's just me. Have a real relaxed day. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 17, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9168502

The bed is open Kris . If Judy gets in a bind , I can double both of you up in twins , share room .One bed is VERY hard .

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9168767

Mud,
Looks like Alexander City's not far from LaGrange and I-85. I'm just north of there. You are MORE than welcome to ride with me (or I with you if your car's in better shape than mine) if you can get here. I'm just 5 miles off I-85 at the McCollum-Sharpsburg Rd. exit ... one exit north of the main Newnan exit. And if we get home too late, you're more than welcome to spend the night ... if you're not allergic to cats. I have a Siamese.

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9168791

Laurel,
No need to send directions. I just found your directions from JULY 2010! LOL

Y'all just don't know how excited I am about this. FINALLY!!!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #9168878

Okay, I just sent Maypop address and phone info. to all who need it. Let me know if I left anyone out.

Ken, from my first post on this thread..."We can have another white elephant swap if there are willing participants. There is no garden gift, new or used, that goes unappreciated by a fellow gardener and none to small to share. It's a good way to clean out your garden closet." The swap can be either a new or used garden related gift. The gift should be wrapped or bagged and is given a number when delivered. At some point numbers corresponding to the number of gifts are put into a bag and there is a drawing. We have seen old garden books and magazines, pots, tools, yard art, etc. end up in the swap. Many of the gifts would be considered under appreciated re-gifts. Thus the name "white elephant".

Participation is voluntary but you need at least two people.

white el·e·phant
Noun:
A possession that is useless or troublesome, esp. one that is expensive to maintain or difficult to dispose of.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9170651

Etelka, I was born doing the hoki poki. Loved your last picture post, BTW. :)

We stayed at Maypop to take care of chores 'til late yesterday though we needed to be in Atlanta early this morning. We pick up food from bakeries, grocery stores and restaurants and deliver to various charities around the city. We broke our personal record with 698 pounds of food that went to the local community assistance center. We have more pick ups tomorrow and Wednesday; then return to Maypop to have fun with all of you. Our house guest exited with us this morning but is returning here tonight so I still have company. Fortunately she has a business/social engagement tonight and I have a little break.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9172555

We have another new participant and guest added to our list...ChooChooGal.
Chatters
Doraville, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9173013

Looks like we won't be making it- prior engagement. Sorry!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9173019

white el·e·phant
Noun:
A possession that is useless or troublesome, esp. one that is expensive to maintain or difficult to dispose of

You just described most of my family,,,lol

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9173073

Chatters, was wondering why we haven't heard from you but understood that you were in doubt about making it from the beginning. Thus you were not on the list. Hopefully you can make it to a future RU.

Kris, we are empty nesters so don't leave any white elephant family behind.

I'll be super busy the next few days. Don't ask me anything complicated. lol
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 20, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9173096

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only slave around here . Lots of clutter right now . Packing up things to transport to Tex and the more I put up , the more I drag out .
If I had parking , I could have a yard sale .
frausnow
Winterville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9178567

So how did the RU go? One of these years I'll get to go to one.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9178720

Pictures!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9178785

Aside from learning that I should NEVER apply for a traffic controller position, it was so much fun. Thanks for inviting me, y'all!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9178926

People have posted a few comments on the plant and white elephant swap thread. It was wonderful! Don't know who has pictures but Ken was making a RU "how to" video. Aside from the plant fun this is a crowd that really gets along. There was lots of laughter. Stories and conversations roamed far and wide. So sorry you guys missed it. Our kids loved meeting everyone. We probably would have been completely out of control if Terry wasn't here. :>)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 24, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9178951

I'm not sure it was a female voice I heard . Whatever it was , I should have been watching the mirrors closer . DUH !
kdfisher
Ellijay, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9178955

Laurel:

More of condensed "what's a roundup about" Terry was classical. Should have it up Monday AM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 24, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9178958

If I could load these pictures I could post also . I'll try tomorrow .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9178961

Sally, you've been hearing voices for years.

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9179011

I think I posted mine on the other thread. Had a wonderful time! Met so many great folks. Thanks so much to Ralph and Kris for the ride up. Those two are hilarious. Laurel and Steve are wonderful hosts. Maypop is a fairyland of flowers and veggies. Loved it all!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 24, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9179076

Those voices give me insight to people . They told me that you and Steve along with a host of other people I would meet on D G would be special to me the rest of my life and we would have lots of laughs together . They haven;t been wrong yet ! hugs
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 24, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9179078

Terry , you and D H just have to be regulars in the future .

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9179293

Sally, only if I vow to never, EVER help you back up again. Ever. Whew.

So I'm classical, huh? Is that anything like "vintage"?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 25, 2012
3:23 AM

Post #9179486

More like collectable. :)

Sally, you're special too.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 25, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9180050

This is what I love about you people .
We can laugh .

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9182150

I want to thank our host and hostess too. Ralph and I had a great time!! Judy was a wonderful companion on our ride up and was just to funny!!!

I got load of new plants and friends so it was a great day!!

JudyinGA

JudyinGA
Newnan, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9182210

Kris, I am so glad I got to know you and Ralph (even if I did keep calling you Brenda ... you look just like my preacher's wife, Brenda) and had a blast even though I did wear myself out. I think you and I are both such comedians that we are almost dangerous together. Ralph is a great straight man. LOL. Look forward to seeing you both again.

I just love all you people. :-)

Judy
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 26, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9182610

Laurel made a hit again !!!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9183786

Well, thank you all. We did no more than provide the place and some food. All you good gardeners give yourself a pat on the back.

So where are the pics?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9184164

I haven't downloaded my camera yet. And I need to get out there and snap some pics of my gift plants in their new homes. By the weekend, I promise!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Georgia Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite Local Nursery? violabird 23 Apr 17, 2007 9:17 PM
Corn Gluten Meal SusanCalvert 10 Aug 11, 2009 7:40 PM
wild roses teateacher 11 Jun 1, 2007 4:31 PM
Grass out, Moss in soupcon 15 May 14, 2008 4:28 PM
powdery mildew remedies soupcon 4 May 31, 2007 3:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America