Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Frail Tomato Plants for 2-3 year. Disease or not enough Sun?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
fishin4fun
Brooklyn, NY

April 16, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9084805

For 25 years I've been planting tomatoes in my small 3' X 30' Garden in what used to be 8 hours of sun but due to overhanging high trees is now 6 hours of sun. I add composted manure and new topsoil every year in the spring. The past 2 or 3 year's plants started out fine as before, but never really took off as in past years. The leaves, at about 50 days started to turn yellow/brown and die off and the stems were thin with a low yield of vegetables. Planted from seedlings were Beefstreak, Big Boy, and Better Boy varieties in the 3rd week of April thru September, it's over 120 growing days. Zone 6 (NYC) All suffered the same fate at the same time of the summer. As the leaves develop at above 5 feet, they soon start to die off high on the plant in the sunlight. I was told to skip tomatoes this year due to a fungus that is going around to try to break the cycle. Or is this due to the lower daily sun they recieve? Can anyone help me? (See Pictures of last year's plants). Thanks...Marc (fishin4fun)

Thumbnail by fishin4fun   Thumbnail by fishin4fun   Thumbnail by fishin4fun   Thumbnail by fishin4fun
Click an image for an enlarged view.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9084961

I'm going to do some guessing:

1) You have a disease in your soil that carries over from one year to the next.

2) The manure you have delivered contains weed killer. Some weed killers can go through the animal and turn up in their manure.

3) The manure has not been aged enough so the tomatoes have nitrogen burn.

4) The manure has enough nitrogen, but you have added more.

5) They are not receiving enough water.

Any one or a combination could be your problem, but I doubt that it's caused by too little light.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

April 16, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9085399

Looks a lot like mite damage. Might wanna get yourself a magnifying glass(x10-x30) and look underneath the leaves. Mites are barely, if at all noticeable without a magnifier. Neem Oil does a pretty good job.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9085485

Spider mites would have been my assessment also. I battled them on tomatoes and on brugs will similar foliage appearance.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America