Which Food mill/strainer

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm going to start some canning this year, mostly tomatoes & blackberries to start. I've picked out my canner, an All American 921 21-1/2-Quart. Now I'm looking at strainers/food mills. So far, I've come up with 2 basic types: A food strainer, such as http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-The-Original-Sauce-Master/dp/B0000DDVMQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2EXJMPCAK1M75&colid=1YNPXA80JSPIY
or a Food mill, such as this http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Foley-2-Quart-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000LNUM8Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT11_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I5V0EFYGVJZB4&colid=1YNPXA80JSPIY

I've watched videos of both kinds and each seem to have their own pros & cons. The strainer seems to be messy, but quick. The mill seems to be neater, but slower.

Which would you recommend?

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 6:07 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Neither link you posted works.

I have a Foley type mill and like it okay except that it also grinds minute metal parts into the sauce. I always hope I have spooned them all off before I cook the sauce!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9a)

Sorry about the bad link. I don't know what happened. I've corrected them in the original post.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I have an ancient food mill that still works well, except it tends to get rusty between uses (which is difficult to clean). Same with my old potato ricer. I am planning to get new ones that are stainless steel. I also have an equally old food grinder and have found that to be quite messy, particularly with juicy fruits like tomatoes. I've had best luck clamping it to a table outside and then just hosing it off afterward.

Decatur, GA

I have had a Foley food mill for years - I have the same complaint as darius. It will leave a dark stain in the center of the food that I have never figured out.
I do have another complaint about the Foley - I find it tiresome. It takes a lot of cranking and it get plugs easily. It also takes a fair amount of pressure to hold it on the container you are grinding the food into. I use it because its all I have and I don't do that much food grinding/processing. But if I have a lot to grind up I wouldn't use it.
The other model you are considering, the Norpro, looks nice. I would gues it would be easier to use complared with the Foley. Keep us posted on your choice and how it works for you.
Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images