-
AuthorContent
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9084847

I'm going to start some canning this year, mostly tomatoes & blackberries to start. I've picked out my canner, an All American 921 21-1/2-Quart. Now I'm looking at strainers/food mills. So far, I've come up with 2 basic types: A food strainer, such as http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-The-Original-Sauce-Master/dp/B0000DDVMQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2EXJMPCAK1M75&colid=1YNPXA80JSPIY
or a Food mill, such as this http://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Foley-2-Quart-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000LNUM8Q/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT11_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I5V0EFYGVJZB4&colid=1YNPXA80JSPIY

I've watched videos of both kinds and each seem to have their own pros & cons. The strainer seems to be messy, but quick. The mill seems to be neater, but slower.

Which would you recommend?

This message was edited Apr 16, 2012 6:07 PM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9084851

Neither link you posted works.

I have a Foley type mill and like it okay except that it also grinds minute metal parts into the sauce. I always hope I have spooned them all off before I cook the sauce!
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9085280

Sorry about the bad link. I don't know what happened. I've corrected them in the original post.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9086130

I have an ancient food mill that still works well, except it tends to get rusty between uses (which is difficult to clean). Same with my old potato ricer. I am planning to get new ones that are stainless steel. I also have an equally old food grinder and have found that to be quite messy, particularly with juicy fruits like tomatoes. I've had best luck clamping it to a table outside and then just hosing it off afterward.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

April 17, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9086197

I have had a Foley food mill for years - I have the same complaint as darius. It will leave a dark stain in the center of the food that I have never figured out.
I do have another complaint about the Foley - I find it tiresome. It takes a lot of cranking and it get plugs easily. It also takes a fair amount of pressure to hold it on the container you are grinding the food into. I use it because its all I have and I don't do that much food grinding/processing. But if I have a lot to grind up I wouldn't use it.
The other model you are considering, the Norpro, looks nice. I would gues it would be easier to use complared with the Foley. Keep us posted on your choice and how it works for you.
Helen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America