Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Vegetable Gardening: Planting small gourmet potatoes

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9085621

I have a package of tri color gourmet potatoes,red, purple & yellow, that I have let sprout, and plan to plant them. They are about the size of a walnut. Do they just grow to that small size, or are they just harvested when they become that size? They have sprouted very well.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2012
1:50 AM

Post #9085644

Could be either one or grown with the plants really crowded.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9085843

I had a reply typed, then my ATT useless connection died, so here goes again.
When we dig potatoes, there are always several large ones, some medium ones and quite a few small, golfball and smaller size which we separate out and package separately. Some varieties are smaller normally, some commercial growers either spray something, or cut the tops early to harvest small potatoes. I think the variety Rio Colorado was designed for harvesting this way.
If you have "regular" potatoes, the All Blue and Purple Majesty varieties are blue inside and out with Purple Majesty being the normally smaller of the two. Cranberry and Mountain Rose are red outside and pink inside, with Mountain Rose being the smaller variety.
In fingerlings, Peruvian Purple is the only purple one I know of. It is a long season potato, taking about 120 days to mature, is dark blue inside and out with very dense, crisp flesh that is excellent roasted. There are several red outside, pink inside fingerlings. Blossom and Red Thumb are two that come to mind with Red Thumb being the smaller variety. These take 70-90 days and are both excellent as far as easy to grow, good yield and flavor.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America