Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Peonies: Peonies 2012, part 2

Communities > Forums > Peonies
bookmark
Forum: PeoniesReplies: 247, Views: 1,617
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9085798

Please join us. We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1244998/
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 17, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9085914

Thanks Donna. Faster even for us DSL people.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9086127

Wish everybody changed chapters after 200 posts.

This is going to be an interesting spring. Half of the peonies are 2 feet high, which is pretty cool for the northeast. Dying to see if they truly bloom earlier. The tree peonies have large buds, so I'm sure they bloom early.

Donna, when you move a peony, does it usually rest and bloom the following year? Half of the peonies I moved last year seem to have buds (pea sized). (I did not move them to a new home as you did, just around the corner where they'd get more sun and probably more fertile soil.)

Mary, did you have any mice problems this winter?

Marcia
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 17, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9086180

No, thank heavens. The bushes and plants that are out from snow look in very good shape. Well, as good a shape as they usually look after being buried for several months. lol. I guess the mice infestation was simply God's way of reinforcing 'pride goeth before a fall.' I was so very proud of my tree peonies. If the new ones do well, mums the word. :)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9086221

Cathy,

No the peonies did not rest. Almost all of them have buds! Probably the most amazing is Lady Alexandra Duff. I planted it in 2005, pulled it out in September 2010 (damaging its roots) did not even pot it until October (the root was in the trunk of my car for several days!), and which is now still in its pot. I didn't expect it to even break dormancy, but look at her in picture 1! I have to plant her. She is larger than last year.

The second picture is Burma Joy, which doubled in height since I pulled it from the pot I put it in in April of last year, and put in the ground this last December.

The third is Lois. Also a much larger plant than before.

So no, most of them did not rest when put in pots. And all of them are bigger than the year before, even with torn roots. Some that did not bloom very well, because of originally being planted poorly (Moonstone) are bigger than they have ever been.

I think that the "rules" we are given are for perfect circumstances. I did not have a choice - I had to move them or lose them. I thought it was probably foolish to move Duff - I did it anyway. Now I have learned just how much abuse peonies can really take. I expected her to be dormant this spring. Now I have to get her into the ground.

As you can imagine, I'm thrilled.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2012 6:42 AM

This message was edited Apr 18, 2012 6:47 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click an image for an enlarged view.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9086659

I stopped by the Linda Hall Library today, hoping to see their tree peony collection in bloom. Unfortunately, most of the peonies had already bloomed, but there were a few specimen plants still bearing blooms.

Read about it here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1252926/

Photo: Sinfuso

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9086689

I am really surprised that the tree peonies have finished blooming so soon. Your spring must be a lot warmer than the spring here in my zone 9a in California. Hope you are able to see them next year! Maybe the Library can set up a facebook page and send out a Tree Peony Bloom alert LoL.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9086971

Donna, thanks for starting the new thread. I've got a few pictures I need to post this week, but I've been so busy at work I haven't had the chance. I'm glad your transplanted peonies are doing well.

Nice picture LG, sorry you missed the peony blooms at the library.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9087185

Looking forward to it, Cem. I've got some major budding going on, so that I can see the color of my peonies (and figure out if they are what I think they are!)

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #9087202

Subject of moving peonies-- I've been able to move peonies after the first year with no apparant problems to the buds or blooms. Peony books have mentioned "heeling in" which is giving a temporary location while the plant gets started, usually over winter. One of the catalog websites also mention it this year. Maybe Hidden Gardens? I'm not sure. They say to keep the plant happy, do not rotate its position any relative to the sun when replanting it, and that they mark a leaf when replanting a lot of them. Otherwise the prevailing wisdom probably holds-- better but not impossible to wait a few years so the roots can be divided when replanting.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9087238

Well, I understand your point, but I really believe that the catalogs and books (some written by peony hybridizers) are aimed at minimizing their losses, which I understand, but which my experience tells me has nothing to do with reality. Moving them was easy. And every one of them is bigger after the two moves, which took place within one year.

It seems a shame to me that people are leaving peonies behind because they believe this very conservative advice. I moved three year old peonies, as well as a peony that I planted in 2005. I didn't heel them in. I put them in pots, put the pots in an unheated garage, and then into the ground. Again, it was easy. Especially replanting them, because the entire root system is in a pot. If you heel them in you have to dig them up, which creates more root disturbance even if done carefully. They all started sprouting in the pots! And now they are covered in buds - far more than the last time they bloomed in the ground.

Of course, if you accept the conventional wisdom, you have to start over and buy new peonies every time you move. Which creates more sales. And prices go up every year. I did not have to buy eight new peonies. And go through the early years of will it bloom? Wondering if it is what I ordered?

The best thing about having to move is discovering how many things written by experts and authorities have nothing to do with reality. I'm going back to the things I have read in supposedly authoritative books, and it's amazing how many things that I have discovered that they insist upon are just not true. If they were right, 75% of my plants would be dead.

I'm really happy that I was forced to do this. I learned at lot. Especially from Lady Alexandra Duff, which was dug up after 7 years, had torn roots, was thrown into the trunk of my car for two days, and then put in a pot. It's bigger than ever. If I had listened to the experts, she would still be in the ground at my old house.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9087270

I moved mine simply because they were not thriving as they should, which I attributed to not enough sun, so the sunlight orientation doesn't work for me. And they are thriving.

Donna, I think love and attitude have a lot to do with it. My yard and gardens are far from decorators' dreams, but people come by and say "I wish I could grow that." Maybe I should not talk to the plants so much...
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9087399

The only problem I had was trying to move a tree peony - that was not successful. Given that experience, I would always recommend that when planting a tree peony, be careful that you choose an appropriate site for it at the very beginning.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9087495

Oh my goodness, I am ONLY speaking of lactifloras. I have never grown a tree peony, and my expertise there is 0.

Cathy, I agree about the love and attitude. People love different things, and most of the people around me are satisfied to use landscapers, but they have been stopping by to chat when I'm in the yard, and many people stop in their tracks to look at something (a great way to meet new neighbors!)

And, scientifically speaking, talking to a plant is great. This is from Ask Yahoo:

"It turns out that there may be some truth to the belief that talking to plants helps them grow, but not for the reasons you may think. According to ScienceNet, plants need carbon dioxide to grow, and when you talk to a plant, you breath on it, giving it an extra infusion of CO2."

There you go! I'm out for a chat with them now.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9087576

Donna - I knew you were referring to lactifloras. :).

I wanted to toss out that comment on tree peonies just so others won't assume that they will be the same.

I inadvertently give my plants extra carbon dioxide since I tend to mumble and talk to myself when I garden.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9087695

Mumble and talk to myself! LOL!

The neighbor's dog tends to go nuts when I'm gardening anywhere near him - barking and barking and barking - until I started a running dialog with her. I put roses, peonies and small shrubs near the fence, so I have to care for them. I just start talking to the dog about gardening.

Do you like this rose? It's my favorite.
Aren't the daffodils nice?
Where should I put the second rose? Here? There? What do you think? There? OK.
Gonna get those weeds now.

She lies down next to the fence and just gazes at me. I can be as little as a foot away. Right next to her territory.

Funny!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 18, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9087918

that is so funny. Our neighbor's dog can't see me because we have a wooden fence but I can sure hear him. I mutter also, but none that bears repeating here. Oh, and then the other neighbor's dogs start in. So pleasant at 6am on a sunny cool morning with your coffee.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9088159

I used to yell at her when she carried on, and then I found out that she lost her companion of many years. Which makes them territorial. With my new house I inherited a 16 year old cat who had lost his lifelong companion, and then his owners left. He stopped eating and seemed very stressed. I started brushing him and adding a little more food and flax oil to his diet. He was aloof before they left, but now he follows me everywhere and wants to either sit on my lap or be within about three feet. And he seems more relaxed. And he is back to a normal weight.

I also found that some schoolgirls were routinely teasing the dog next door and revving her up. So I waited one day until they were doing it and used calm voice to tell them that I would appreciate it if they didn't tease the dog because it disturbed me and my neighbors. It never happened again. I find more and more that I have to "discipline" other peoples' children. They respond to a calm, authoritative voice - undoubtedly different from the ones they hear at home.

Yes, the dog chorus. I get that too. At least it's a little further away.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9088302

Hey everyone, I chuckling about the conversation with the neighbor's dog. Too funny. I have no time to talk to the neighbor's dogs, I was too busy running inside from them as they chased me into my house. The owner seemed to think they just wanted to play, but those large sharp teeth that were showing as they ran towards me barking told a different tale. A few years ago one of them went after my 2 yr old god-daughter, and it certainly didn't look playful. Needless to say, I'm the proud owner of a very nice, expensive fence that I had no intentions of having to put up, but fear for my safety and that of my family spurred me towards that decision. They had also urinated and soiled and destroyed hundreds of dollars of my plants over time, and I figure replacing the plants repeatedly vs a fence was about an even cost.

Any old hoooo, back to the peonies. Here's Raspberry Sundae, it's still in it's pot and will get planted this fall.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9088304

Buckeye Belle. This was planted last fall, from the co-op.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9088306

Wladlislawa, I can't even pronounce it, LOL!!!!

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9088312

Red Charm as it's opening, then the bloom. I unfortunately stepped on the plant as it was emerging, so who knows if I would have had more than one bloom this year.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9088318

Fabulous. Keep 'em coming. We're getting close. Amazing. First bloom is normally May 31 - EVERY YEAR!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 18, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9088320

We crossposted. Your unpronounceable peony is gorgeous. I've never heard of it, and it's stunning.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9088324

Sea Shell. I love, love, love this plant. A totally unexpected surprise about how large the blooms are.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9088331

Thanks Donna, you will have blooms soon too ;~).

Bowl of Beauty is still blooming, but got beaten up by the rain the last few days.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9088333

Sea Shell, Kansas and Keiko, one happy family.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9088336

Bowl of Cream, the blooms are also huge.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9088347

Peony Gardenia, I like the streaks of color, and these blooms are fragrant.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #9088357

Itoh Yumi. It has an interesting yellow color, and a lot of buds yet to open.

So the bloom season continues here in GA, and the nice thing is that we've cooled off, so the blooms are lasting longer, and we finally have gotten some rain in the last few days. Who was it that predicted when the peonies started blooming, that the rain was guaranteed to come, so true, oh so true.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9088387

Cem...On the post of 4/18 @ 8:04pm, what is that iris a sib and what var???? Absolutely stunning!!! Oh yes, I do love the peonies also, tee hee hee.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9088564

Good morning Kathy, it is Siberian iris Caesar's Brother, however it appears more blue in the photo that it should be. I gathered a ton of seeds that were bee pollinated last year, dmail me if you want some of the seeds. I did winter sow some last year and they germinated well and have been planted in other parts of the garden. Annette

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9088571

This is one of the peonies I got at Lowes last year, unfortunately no tag. I'm hoping it's Festiva Maxima. Donna, how big are the blooms on FM?

The first pic is before I staked it this morning, drooping because the bloom is being weighted down by the rain drops.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9088577

My noid continues to bloom, and now the yellow cabbage rose as well. This is the best this rose has done since I planted it years ago. I hope that next year the weather cooperates and doesn't get too hot too early. I wanted to see both the peonies planted in front of this rose blooming with it at the same time, however, because of the early heat, one of the peonies finished blooming weeks ago, and the other is just about done as the rose is taking off.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9088665

Kinkaku with it's bud.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9088743

Everything is beautifful, but that noid cabbage rose is one of the most gorgeous flowers I have ever seen.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9088789

Cem, for the unpronounceable, drop the first and last letters, and that should work.

Soils, replanted tree peonies tend to look dead for a while. I thought I lost the one we put in last year, but it was just late in starting. The one put in the year before (amazingly) was dug up when my prince turned over the garden, so it probably looked dead. Amazing, because he was the one who planted it for me.

If the new one blooms this year, I'll post. It will be our only yellow peony.

Marcia
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9088864

Cem -very nice stand of irises.

Marcia - the one I tried to transplant is definitely a goner. Right after transplanting, it valiantly put out a couple of tiny buds, but died soon thereafter. I left the "stick" in place, but it has been 3 years now so it is safe to say it bit the dust. Glad yours survived.

Like clockwork, as soon as the pink tree peony fades into the dusk, the white one opens up. This one is in the backyard so it is only seen by a few. But, everyone who visits me this week gets dragged into the backyard. LoL

Thumbnail by soilsandup

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9088899

What a gorgeous white variety, Soilsandup! Do you know the name? I have several white peonies, but I love the dark foliage and it would make a nice addition.

My 'Coral Charm' opened the first bloom today. We're supposed to get rain and possibly hail today - I hope everything in the garden survives. It all needs a good drink, but not hail!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9089329

Nice blooms soilsandip and LG. I totally missed the one bloom on my Coral Charm, the rain took care of that. I'm not complaining, just glad we finally got some rain.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9089472

Thanks, Lea and Cem.

Lea - that is one nice specimen of Coral charm. I have maybe 3 buds on mines, nothing close to your numbers. Hope the hail does not do too much damage.

Unfortunately, that is another one of my NOIDs labeled as "White" tree peony when I got it. I tried taking some branch cuttings to root several times, but have never been successful. Anyone out there had any success rooting tree peony cuttings? The white one tend to bush out more, and the pink tree peony tend to grow more upright. I prune them maybe every other year. And it would great if I can find the secret to rooting them...

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9089550

Tree Peony is in full bloom now! And it smells wonderful!!!

This was sold to me as "Kinshi", but it looks more like "High Noon", so I'm calling it "High Noonish".

soilsandsup - I had to move this tree peony 3 years after I originally planted it, since the bed it was originally planted in was torn out and rebuilt, and while it looked like it wasn't going to make it, and I lost a lot of plant material, it came back fine. That was about eight years ago.

Thumbnail by Cybrczch   Thumbnail by Cybrczch

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9089561

Forgot to add - last year I took pictures of it on May 10th at this stage, so it's blooming three weeks early.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9089689

What a spectacular specimen! So it is about 8 years old?

I have always wanted a yellow peony, so I bought a Kinshi from Mamajack's coop this year. It has a looong ways to go to reach the stature of yours LoL.

Kinshi unwrapped (along with Koukamon), and Kinshi planted.

Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9090111

No hail - YIPEE!

But... no rain, either. (:-((

Things are so dry I'm watering in the border beds. What will the summer bring?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 20, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9090132

I do so hope you guys don't get another drought. Oklahoma and Texas will just dry up and blow away. Oh, wait a minute. They already did that, along with half the mid west. Not joking at all. I truly pray for rain for you guys -- just the right amount not a torrential downpour. That just runs off and makes a mess anyway.

Yup. My Kinshi looks just like yours. It is potted up as I am waiting for snow to leave the beds.
upallnightagain
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9090193

Hi, I'm brand new to DG and am looking around to get the feel of the place. I have a few Peonies that I treat like my children and brag about even more than my own children sometimes. I've added the peony forum to my favs and then saw this thread. I've skimmed down a few pages ~is this the designated spot to post pics of current year blooms? On the main peony forum page I saw lots of separate "help me identify this peony " threads...Do ya'll have one place you prefer to have these inquiries posted or is it fine to start new threads for each? Just trying to get the feel for the "posting etiquette" 'round here before I jump in an offend a bunch of folks with my lack of home training, Lol. I'm posting a pic of one of my babies that I DO know the name of, this is my favorite, Sorbet. Glad to be here!

Thumbnail by upallnightagain

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9090228

Your 'Sorbet' is gorgeous, UpAllNightAgain! Welcome to DG!

You'll find most of us are pretty laid back - no official protocol or etiquette handbook, as far as I know (just no 'flaming' - LOL). If I were you and I had an ID questions, I think I'd start a new thread because that might stimulate someone to view/respond.

Here's 'Coral Charm' today.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9090255

Greetings, UANA, and welcome!

This is the traditional place for posting peonies as they develop. But there are no rules. We are pretty flexible.

I have noticed that when people start a new ID thread here they get responses, but if I may observe, this thread we are on now gets triggered by everyone who has selected it. To see a new thread I would have to to the peony forum and look for it. You'll notice that there are hundreds of viewings on the peony 2012 thread. That a lot of eyes!

But whatever you like!

And your Sorbet is gorgeous.

Donna

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

April 20, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9090763

Ha! Upallnightagain...I know that feeling. Beautiful, everyone. Perfectly marvelous.

And Welcome!

This message was edited Apr 20, 2012 5:02 PM
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9091115

Welcome to DG upallnightagain, we're practically neighbors, I'm just a smidgen further north in GA than you are. BTW, your Sorbet is gorgeous. I hope that you enjoy DG, please let us know which peonies you have. Annette
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 20, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9091140

Welcome UANA -- it's a great place here to make friends and share knowledge. And for those of us who are still under snow, it is so nice to see your gorgeous flowers. My peonies will be blooming when they are all gone down south. but your fall flowers will be going strong when I am once again chipping ice off my windshield. lol
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9091351

Cybrczch, your "High Noonish" is stunning!!!! I have a Kinshi with one bud, finally, and it's only about 1 1/2ft tall, but I'll be glad to see it bloom.

LG, your Coral Charm is about to put on a show. I'm glad you didn't get the hail. The rain here this week made the peony blooms look like a "hot mess" and really ruined the blooms. Annette
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 21, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9091649

The first official pip making it up for me is Julia Rose. Think she was first last year. Ahead of Red Charm right next door. RC always seems to have a frost cap that takes just a little longer to melt. I swear I have filled it in each year. This year for sure.
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

April 22, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9093146

Hi All,

Vermont returns to the fray! Took me a few days to read all the posting & catch up. We went on out annual "mud time" vacation and got back April 18th. Some peonies were 6 inches high and starting to leaf out. Considering that last year I saw my first pip on April 22nd, I'd say we were running about two weeks early. Some of my new peonies (bare roots from Klehm,s) are up to a foot tall and budded but we after a week of "summah" we are looking at rain/snow mix and as low as 22 degrees this week. Is there anything I should (can?) do for the precocious plants?

Loved following Donna Mack's comments on Peony Abuse! I transplanted for the first time last fall. Two very old peonies, one probably a Festivas and one a Sarah Bernhartish. They were old and well established when I moved in seven years ago but had begun to bare fewer flowers. I dug them up and had two root balls about the size and density of a bowling ball. Impossible to separate so I took a sharp spade and a sledgehammer to them and wound up with about six plants of each ( they all had lots of the small white fall roots). Result? I have a eleven new plants showing vigorous growth, 4-7 stems, some of which (most?) will bloom this year!! Now that is what I call Peony Abuse! :-)

This message was edited Apr 22, 2012 5:58 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9093311

Okcrow, you made me laugh. I thought I was mean to mine! Hum, maybe I should go back and get my beloved hugies, Festiva Maxima (I have a new one) Mrs. FDR and Cornelia Shaylor! From what you wrote, I should beat them with a stick. Some of them are a foot high and covered with small buds. Some of them have fewer buds but they are very large, and there are more buds than last year. Some of them are blooming for the first time.

It makes sense. There are 100 year old peonies in graveyards. They are probably competing with tree roots.

Oh, and I got some great news from my neighbor. His house is placed on the other side of his property, and my driveway is on the border. What looks like his lawn has about two feet that is really mine. He pointed out to me that he is not really taking care the area near my house - it's a bit weedy. So he told me to go ahead and plant it, and not to worry if I went beyond two feet.

GOODY - so far I have roses Marchesa Bocchella and Sea Foam, two Miscanthus sinenis Adagio, a feverfew, a Heuchera Firefly and I'm going to add some japanese anemones. And I have room for more peonies. Yes!

In terms of temperatures, we went below freezing too. I did nothing to protect the peonies - I did cover the lilies. I think these gals are tough!

Can't wait to see your peonies.

upallnightagain
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9093327

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and kind comments on Sorbet. I purchased the few peonies I have from the Springhill catalog 10 years ago this September and when I received the bareroot plants, I thought, "what the heck??? they sent me dead plants!" Ahem, then I did the research that I should've done before ordering, and the rest is history. The sad part is I'm not really sure which ones I have, except for Sorbet. I'm sure they're all common varieties and some names sound familiar to me when I hear them, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll post pics and if anyone can offer a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated~ maybe I'll actually write the names down for future reference this time!
Annette, my state sister, nice to meet you! Duluth is, like most places are to Jonesboro, "about and hour from here". Well, that's on a good day with no traffic and an extra person in the car maybe. I grew up right next door to where I live now...both the city of Jonesboro and Clayton County as a whole are unrecognizable from the "good ole days", but it's still home and I'll tolerate the sirens and negative press to stay in my little corner of heaven. Have you lived in Duluth long? Georgia?
Let me know what ya'll think about my kids, these pics are from this past weekend.
1. What I would call 'average' size blooms and the bush has LOTs of buds every year
2. Lilac-pink blooms that are HUGE, so that they usually wind up on the ground after a heavy rain
3. Another average size, fewer blooms every year than most of the rest
4. More pink than lilac in this one and the blooms are large, but not as large as #2, this one rarely has more than 6 buds/year (??)
5. Large white blooms with tiny portion of red in the center...This one looks like a Festiva Maximus (sp?) that I saw earlier in this thread.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thumbnail by upallnightagain   Thumbnail by upallnightagain   Thumbnail by upallnightagain   Thumbnail by upallnightagain   Thumbnail by upallnightagain

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9096218

Coral Charm in full bloom and a lovely, small pink variety I added last year. Of course, I don't remember the name - anyone recognize it?

This year Coral Charm had 13 blooms. Last Sunday, I took a couple blossoms in a silver vase as a birthday gift to the gardener who gave me Coral Charm 8 years ago. he was thrilled to see the blooms and learn how well the plant is doing. He had it for five years in his garden, but it didn't ever bloom.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9096604

Hey upallnightagain, you're so right about the GA traffic. Even if I'm going 2 traffic lights away, it's about an hour from here, LOL.
I've been in GA since 1996, and have always lived north first in Alpharetta, now in Duluth since 2004. BTW, your peonies are pretty, I'll let the experts weigh in on which ones you may have.

LG, I now have Coral Charm envy, LOL, I didn't get to see the one bloom that I had open because of the rain last week. Guess I'll have to wait till next year. It was nice of you to take some of your blooms to the person who gave you the plant.

okcrow, welcome back, looking forward to seeing your blooms this year,

Immaculee finally bloomed this week, it doesn't have as many buds as Bowl of Cream or Gardenia. The second bloom is Gardenia, and it does have a wonderful scent.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9096605

Garden Lace didn't last very long either, due to the wind and rain.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9096610

Inspecteur Lavergne in the first picture reminds me of Kansas. The latter pictures are Kansas.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9096615

I love the size of the blooms, and the color and texture of Yumi.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #9096619

And, Yipeeee!!!! Bartzella bloomed.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 24, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9096620

Why or why did I pay so much for Lemon Chiffon when you have a gorgeous (is it tree or herbaceous) yellow like that.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9096656

It's an Itoh that I got last spring from a local nursery here as a potted plant, a Monrovia product. It was pricey, but worth every penny. I can't believe how pretty it is. I liked Keiko and Misaka, but I'm thrilled with the fullness of these blooms.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9096669

Wow! That Yumi is spectacular. I have never heard of that variety before - what size pot were they selling them in?
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9096885

Thanks, soilsandsup, Yumi came in a 3 gallon pot, so did Keiko and Misaka, and I got them from a local nursery here called Pikes. They are products of Monrovia. All of them have done well this year. Annette
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9096933

What gorgeous pictures, everyone!

Very funny - some people have distinct color preferences, and purchase within it. I know I'm one of them. Cem yours have quite a gorgeous color range.

And your Bart is the most beautiful I have ever seen. I love that creamy yellow color.

This message was edited May 1, 2012 12:23 PM
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9097219

Thanks Donna;-). Now I'm off to play in dirt. Annette

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9099105

A white NoID I planted 5 or 6 years ago. It's loaded with buds - anyone recognize it?

I don't know the name of this lovely little pink variety either.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9101733

LG, both peonies are beautiful. The first one reminds me of my Gardenia blooms posted above, with a hint of red/fuchsia on the exterior of the bloom. Does yours have a scent? The second peony almost looks like Do Tell from a distance, do you have a closer view of the blooms?

Here are a few more blooms from my garden. This is Sorbet that was planted in 2009, blooming for the first time this week. It was buried too deeply, so I removed some of the soil from the tuber last fall, and it's blooming this year.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9101741

Hot Chocolate also bloomed today.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9101745

Paul M. Wild, I love this color, so rich, and it's not red or fuchsia, it has purple tones.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9101749

Pink Parfait.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9101765

The Mighty Mo was also planted in 2009, but buried too deeply, so with soil removed from the tuber, it's also blooming this year.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9101781

Karl Rosenfeld got beaten up by the unexpected thunderstorms yesterday. It's got a few more buds to open, so hopefully I'll get to see some proper blooms.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9101787

I clipped a few of the peonies to enjoy inside the house. The vase has Bowl of Cream's last bloom, Bowl of Beauty, Pink Parfait, and Paul M. Wild.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

April 29, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9102171

Your blooms are beautiful but I have scent envy! It will be a month before my first ones start to open and while I can feast my eyes, I want to inhale the perfume! lol.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9102234

When you see them in the vase, the size of Cem's peonies becomes apparant. Waft a bit of that fragrance up north, please. At least our buds are shrugging off the near freezing night time temperatures this week.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9102248

Cem, I just love the richness of your reds.

I have a couple of peonies that will bloom for the first time this year, because previously they were buried too deeply. Moonstone, for one.I've had it for years.

Our temperatures really dropped, and my peonies are in a state of suspended animation, waiting for warmer temperatures.
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

April 29, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9102390

Yes, 20 degrees last two nights, a warm 22 tonight. Hope it doesn't hurt them. I have several new ones (from Klehm's) that are budded!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9102424

"Lucky", a peony I bought last summer from a local grower (I bought it when I saw it in the field in May and received the root in October} has five blooms its first year! Here's the anticipation, as I watched the buds, and the reward, as they opened yesterday. They closed after the rain, but will hopefully still open again later today.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener   Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9102436

Thanks okcrow, Rosemary and Donna. Sorry to hear about the cold weather y'all are experiencing up north. Hopefully it will warm up for you real soon, with peony blooms soon to follow

LG, Lucky is also gorgeous, you're fortunate to get so many blooms the first year after planting. Annette

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9102676

It's from a local grower - http://www.peonies.net/

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9102680

Here's another that's just starting to bloom - "Color Magnet"

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9103212

Color Magnet is another beauty. BTW, thanks for the link to peonies.net, I've added it to my faves.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9103225

Happy Birthday RosemaryK, I hope you had an amazing day. Annette.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9103248

Thanks, Annette! I got to walk along the peony plants today and there were buds even on the newest ones. Thankfully they weren't ready to open when the cold evenings hit this area.Our time will come! It was an amazing birthday because my two daughters also had to make their final college picks, and I am very proud of how grounded they were in assessing the choices..
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9104753

Rosemary, I'm glad you had a good day yesterday, and congrats on your daughter's choosing their colleges. Such a major life decision. My DS made a verbal commitment to Duke in February, and it was a wonderful feeling. He now has us getting him Bluedevil gear, it's too funny.

Here are a few peony blooms from today. 2 of the 3 Torch Songs are blooming.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9104812

Congratulations on DS going to Duke, Annette. You must be very proud of him.

I love all the colors in your lovely peony blooms.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9104833

Thanks Rosemary, we are very proud. Now he just has to stay focused, and finish up well in HS.

The peonies here have done well this spring, despite the fact that we haven't had much of a winter. I'm looking forward to when some of the plants mature and give more blooms over the next few years.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9104875

Me too. Each year they get more robust. Just like kids. At our house, it will be nice to enjoy the beauty in the post kid era to come.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9105371

for those who got tree peonies from cubits? Mine are still rather curled up. Have them in pots for the time being. Should they be uncurling this year or is this the year for them to just settle in and get their roots going.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9105556

Hey Mary, my tree peonies are doing fine, Kaoukamon took the longest to settle in. How much light are your plants getting, and has it started warming up for you to put them outside yet? Annette

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9105607

Wow, Cem, those are doing beautifully.

Getting close. Burma Ruby, one of my earliest. We are about to get temperatures in the 70's and perhaps 80's so that should do it!

This plant has been dug up, put into a pot, and then put into the ground. It has doubled in size.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9105654

I had them in the dining room window for quite a while, then moved them to the garage so I can just open the door and let my plants get sun plus I move them out of the garage (what a chore for all of the plants and flats) to the driveway for sun. It is in the 40's here so I could plant them out or just leave them out where they would get sun as soon as it is up. I don't have the bed where I want to plant them yet.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9105683

I moved out mine in pots for a few weeks and they did very well. But it will accelerate their growth! It puts pressure on you to choose a location

But do bear in mind that you can leave them in pots for quite a while. Some of mine were in pots for a full year after being dug up and put in pots
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9105686

Thanks Donna, your Burma Ruby looks soooo healthy, you're going to have some lovely blooms soon.

Mary, you could put them outside in their pots to get the sunlight, if its not going to get too cold. I'm leaving mine in their pots till when fall when it gets cooler here before planting them in the garden. I can control the watering better that way. It's gets blazingly hot here during the summer, and I want to baby them a little.

Edited to add: I pulled up the Festiva Maxima that I had planted in the peony bed. It was struggling, so I potted it up and will leave it there till it behaves. We had the garden pine strawed a few weeks ago, and Nymph and Vivid got covered, and stepped on. I may pull them up as well if they don't start looking better soon.

This message was edited May 1, 2012 1:50 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9105734

Cem,

I put some struggling ones in pots to get better control. Some peonies that had never bloomed are in major bud now. I was going to leave them in pots, assuming that they needed to recover. The great part is that you can get the entire root system into a pot. On the other hand, three peonies on which I tore up the root system are in bud.

These guys are tough! It gives us peony grower all kinds of opportunities. I'm so glad I was forced to go through this experiment.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9105752

I have a couple that are really slow coming up and I think I planted one too deep. Would you suggest leaving it there til fall so it can at least develop more then dig and replant then?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9105803

If you planted it too deep (as I did with Moonstone) you actually have the option of removing soil above it to automatically lessen the depth. I did that and got one flower, and a plant about five inches high. But it never really popped until I dug it up and put it in a pot. Last year at about this time I did just that - dug it up and put it in a pot. It is now a foot tall.

I personally would dig and replant. Can you get it all? I was able to. If you can dig it up with no root disturbance.

Pic 1. In 2010, buried too deeply, no flowers, and not much of a plant. It had been installed in 2002. I removed earh and got one small flower.

Pic 2, In 2011, into a pot in April.

Pic 3. Replanted in the ground on March 23 - a very funky root I put up high.

Pic. 4 April 20, 2012

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 1, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9105830

I did remove excess dirt. I believe I can get it all. Wasn't a very big tuber. Will have to disturb some daffys near it but no big deal. They will recover. Will give it a try. Thanks

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9106244

All the talk about tree peonies made me want to try one again. Many years ago I bought a pricey one (for me) that was puny and promptly died. I tried again about 10 years ago, but still no tree peony.

Sunday I was at a nursery, spending a gift certificate I'd received 4 months ago, and they had just received a bunch of tree peonies - the price seemed reasonable (earlier in the day I'd stopped at a local peony grower's market and purchased four 'must-have' beauties}, so I bought one. It's not a name variety (it's called 'dark pink'), but it looked healthy and seemed worth the money to experiment one more time.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 1, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9106472

That's a good looking tree peony LG, what's the white tag around the trunk? That's where the names of all of my tree peonies have been. Annette

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9106798

It's just a generic 'tree peony' tag. The stake in the pot just says 'Dark Pink'. I bought it because it was healthy and only $25. If I can keep it alive, I'll try some of the pricier name varieties next year.

This message was edited May 2, 2012 6:02 AM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9109177

My "bad idea to buy from Breck's" Peonies. Top Brass is a no-show.

#1, Barrington Belle
#2, Santa Fe

Thumbnail by kwanjin   Thumbnail by kwanjin

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 3, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9109411

I bought Blue Star dahlias from them. The pictures had been photoshopped to look blue. But if you read the text it says they are lavender. Of course I didn't read -- bad habit of mine. Gets them off the hook for pure misrepresentation. But they are a lovely lavender, dark on the top and light on the bottom (or vice versa - can't remember.)
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9110238

It pays to check out the Garden Watchdog. If a company has negatives, I like to read what the problems are before I make a decision.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9111435

I do, too. 2 out of 3 from them is better than average.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 11, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9119884

Lois is getting ready to pop!

Pic 1 today.

Pic 2 2009, first season after planting

Pic 3, 2010, Still in the ground (sorry about the horrible color clash)

Pic 4, 2011, dug up and put into a pot in April, 1 bloom only, June bloom

Pic 5, 2012, after replanting

I'll send another pic when it's fully open.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9119904

Donna, #5 is just about the bud size we have now. I think they'll open soon if it will only warm up soon, which it promises to do.

Marcia
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9121490

Woooo Hoooo!!!! Blooms from the north. Donna, I can't wait to see your blooms fully open this year.

My Kinkaku and Lady Orchid peonies bloomed in the past week, but I just haven't had th time to post them, DH was in the hospital after a knee replacement, and came home today.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9121773

Cathy, with our changes weather, warm to cool, the peonies are developing and opening very slowly.

And Cem, I'll be sending more pics, and little Lois when she she opens more fully and the sun comes over the bed. With a flash camera, the color isn't true. . And, wow, I didn't know that she has a scent! And it's wonderful. I walked past the bed and it wafted over me. And because of her color, I'm getting a lot of rubber necking from passers by, which is great.

I hope your DH is not too uncomfy. He's got's someone wonderful to look after him.

By the way, when Lois last bloomed it was on June 20! It is FIVE WEEKS ahead of schedule!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9122084

Here is Lois this morning. The sunlight takes away some of the subtlety of the coloring, but not the scent!

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9122262

She looks delicious. Can't wait to see her sisters.

If you're a mom or not, enjoy the day.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9122458

Thank you Cathy. I had a lovely day.

Burma Joy offered it's first flowers. Another one that was dug up, put in a pot, and then moved again. It's actually in a somewhat shady spot. In past years it has bloom anywhere from May 24th to June 9th. And previously, it was my earliest peony. Now it's Lois.

Seeing my "old" peonies in new locations is really exciting!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9123793

Sarah Bernhardt opened yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 14, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9123955

She's beautiful!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 14, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9124109

Oooohhhhh, Donna, Lois is just gorgeous, and your Burma Joy is about to put on a show. Just lovely!!!!

Kwanjin, your SB is pretty as well, I seen no signs of blooms on mine this year ;-(

DH is doing well, second day home from the hospital today, and he started PT.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9126905

Cem, best wishes to your DH.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9128457

Like a proud parent, I am pleased to introduce our first herbaceous peony this year. I think it is Nymph. It must be a "preemie." While it was not the first to show pips, once it sprouted it took off in the warmth. It is under a huge, old shade tree. While I've never been able to figure out which are early, mid and late bloomers, I could not be more pleased. I think it was planted about 5 years ago. I was so certain it would not bloom until Memorial Day, but it must be in love with the warmth of the past few days. In other years May has been very warm, but they have NEVER bloomed this early. I'm sure her sisters will be opening soon. Generally the last to open are the doubles.

Thumbnail by cathy166

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9128471

What a lovely sentiment! I feel the same way about my "babies". Thank you for all of the detail. I love to hear peoples' peony stories.

And she's a beauty!

My double opened before my single. It has been a weird year. But what an adventure.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 18, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9128536

I am anticipating a bumper crop of large bushes and flowers this year judging by the huge stalks coming up on all my old peonies - well, planted before last fall. And all those planted last fall have sent up something so I breathed a sigh of relief there.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9128563

Mary, when do you expect blooms, sometime in June? I can always tell when the stalk contains a bud, just can't tell if the bud will mature. I can't wait to see your photos.. It is one thing to see photos of early bloomers in Texas, ours are typically end of May beginning of June and colder country makes the blooming time last for us all. Do you plant annuals as well?

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9128574

While looking through old invoices for plants I bought in 2006-2010, I came across an invoice for this peony, which now has a name - "Do
Tell" - I bought bare root it in February, 2010 (a bag of three roots) and this is the first year it has bloomed. Since I have three of them in my border, I plan to move one to a new, sunny bed I'm just building.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 18, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9128648

Way to go, Mary! It's alway nice to be assured of the presence of them.

Almost all the peonies I moved have budded.

If I could talk about annuals around peonies, I have a few. I want plants that will bloom all season. Although it's seeds tend to stick to your clothes as you move around the yard (thereby distributing them) I love cynoglossum as a foil for peonies. It comes back every year, from it's own seeds.

And yes, Leawood, that's it!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 18, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9129146

The first of my peonies bloom at the midle or end of May. Theyu go on through June. I have added many to my peonies striveing for a full blooming periond
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9129586

Mary, your microclimate must be a true 5b! I'm guessing you have a longer growing and flowering season than the rest of your general area and generally across the state. Do you do lilies too?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 19, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9129931

Oh yes. I love them. they are huge and robust. I move things around so much that I have them coming up almost like weeds. lol. I have big ones like Conc d'Or and smaller ones like Bon Bini and Star Fighter. Pretty much some in each garden bed. I ordered a bunch last fall to assure I got what I wanted. Some sell out so fast. I counted my dahlias and I am up to 64 with some repeats. Really went nuts this year. Good thing the new bed is getting put in. I would like a combination of peonies, lilies, dahlias and even some iris with begonias along the front edge. Hope it works.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9130469

It sounds spectacular, Mary! Post some pix when all is in bloom.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9130524

White Cap is starting to bloom. I had one flower the year after I put it in and then one flower in a pot. This year it has multiple buds. I'll let it expand a bit more and then send pics.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

May 23, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9136096

Any one going to the American Peony meeting and show in Omaha, Nebraska? I am planning on being there. The show is open to everyone on Saturday afternoon and Sunday. HPS is taking a bus to Omaha to tour several gardens and to view the show. I believe they will be there Sunday afternoon.

I hope to aquire some seeds while there????

My season is over except for one plant so I will not have any flowers to show. One of these days I hope to have some available at the right time.

Alana
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9136219

The people I went with before haven't been in touch, so I won't be attending. I would be very curious about the Adelman's peonies, though. Several people who ordered them last year communicated to me that they had very poor results, and I realize in retrospect that I ordered three over the years that didn't appear. I wonder what the quality of their peonies will be this year. When I attended, they were outstanding.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9136439

Hope you're wrong Donna. I got 8 from them last fall. All have appeared above ground, more or less. It's difficult not to compare them to the monsters that have been in the ground for three years or more. I can hardly wait for MacKinac Grand. It has had single blooms the first two years but this year the stems are huge and many. Same for Lemon Chiffon. As long as the peonies from Adelman's grow and are healthy I will be content. I got Cora Louise from them a few years ago and it took three springs to become huge (last year) with many many blooms. But now it is just huge.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9136538

Almost all of Steve's didn't appear. I had the same problem years ago but blamed myself. I may have been inept. But Steve?

If they have appeared then you have no worries!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9136587

I certainly hope so. I may transplant a couple to the new garden out front so I can have a mix of dahlias, peonies, lilies etc. I hate to do it. Probably better off just ordering more. LOL. what an excuse...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9136893

I can't find a thread about tulips, so I figured if I couldn't rely on the advice you the guys here, well, who could I rely on. :)
I want to buy some really nice tulips. Can anyone recommend an online place that they have used and trust. Or do you think I might as well just go to Lowe's and get what they have.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9136960

I plant a lot of tulips and other bulbs that I have ordered from VanBourgondein for the last 18-20 years. I feel their quality and service are excellent and the prices seem reasonable to me. Their retail site is www.dutchbulbs.com or, if you're like me and plant large quantities, you can order from their wholesale site www.kvbwholesale.com.

You can read about my adventures here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241176/
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9137147

Check Garden Watchdog on Van Bourgondien Dutch Bulbs. They seem to have picked up some really bad reviews in the last year. Perhaps, Leawood, you ordered bulbs from an earlier period. They filed for Chapter 11 reorganization in February.

129 positive reviews
66 neutral reviews
281 negative reviews, 25 of them in the last year.

I recommend John Scheepers as a source of relatively inexpensive and extremely high quality tulips. They are just as good as, say, Brent and Becky and a lot more affordable. I have ordered spectacular bulbs from them. They have a $35 minimum order but they also have an astounding selection of bulbs.

If you are ordering at least $50 woth got to Van Engelen. Same spectacular bulbs with just unbeleivable pricing.

Steve Fort Worth/Greenville swore by them He also had very good things to say about Easy to Grow Bulbs, another highly rated company.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3636/

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/43/

132 positive reviews
8 neutrals
7 negatives, none of them in the past year.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/452/

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9137152

I will give them a try. Van Engelen won't ship to Alaska unfortunately. I will take a look at Scheepers and Brent and Becky.

Thanks to you both.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9137154

Well, Scheepers must have some relationship with Van Engelen as they have precisely the same format and terms. No shipping outside contiguous US. Pooh.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9137201

Well, three strikes and you are out. Brent and Becky's will only ship FedEx or UPS - both would cost more than the cost of the tulips. Well, off to Lowe's I guess.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 24, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9137215

My experience with VanBourgondein has only been positive. I order $800 - $1,200 bulbs per year from them.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9137245

I'm sure that's true, but I wouldn't recommend ordering from a company that entered chapter 11 in February. Did you look at the Garden Watchdog listing? Every review from March on, except one neutral, is negative. I'm sure they've been great in the past. I got terrific Crystal Blush callas from them. But I wouldn't encourage anyone to order form a company that is having the kinds of problems they are having. People are very explicit in their criticisms. These are amongst the worst reviews I've ever seen. Whatever they were, they no longer are.

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/452/
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9137330

Holy Cow! Even American Meadows isn't that bad. course, they aren't in Chapter 11 either. Or is it 7 - can't remember which is a reorg and which is 'forget it we are done.'
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9137350

Chapter 11 is reorganization. The company tries to renegotiate its debt. Sometimes companies go through more than one. Chapter 7 is asta la vista, baby - we are liquidating. Some companies handle chapter 11 better than others. But in this case the consumers are seriously affected.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9137368

You would think they would make it 7 for we are trying to get straightened out, then 11 for not going to make it. There was a bar in Fairbanks called Chapter 11 owned (oddly enough) by some lawyers. Great place. Kind of upscale. and Long gone.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9137703

I've heard nothing of the bankruptcy, so I was shocked to read everyone's posts. I'm sorry to see them go.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 25, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9138094

I just confirmed an order for another 5 peonies from Hidden Springs. I thought I had only ordered Prairie Afire but for got I had also ordered Athena and Early Scout. Good thing I have two new beds going in or I would be putting them in pots floating in the pond. lol
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9138403

I see you are in Anchorage. I no longer buy tulip bulbs, but when I did, Costco had great varieties. Alas, as with all Costco bulbs, the best (prettiest and most unusual) go first. I wonder if that would work for you. When I know it is time, I go frequently to try to get them when they first come in. Around here I start looking end of August for fall bulbs and end of January for spring bulbs. I would check with the Costcos near you to see if that is an option. The price is always right.

I don't plant tulip bulbs any more, but many still come up. I am accustomed to buds with bite marks and worse, so what comes, comes. I would not mind it if the deer would eat the daffodils. A few years back I planted "Angelique" tulips. A smaller plant, a bloom that looks more like a peony. Each year few come up, and they seem to get smaller, or it might be my imagination.

Mary, you might want to check the bulbs forum, but I love seeing you here.

Marcia
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 25, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9138487

thanks Marcia. You are right. I hadn't thought of Costco. And I think they have healthier fresher bulbs than Lowe's or Home Depot (whom I suspect of holding over such stuff year to year). I will also try the bulb forum. I looked for a tulip forum but there isn't one.
ah3815
Kansas City, MO

May 25, 2012
11:25 PM

Post #9138934

Marcia, a word about tulips, years ago I read that it takes about 4 years from bulblet to bloom size. What happens according to a speaker I heard many years ago, When you purchase blooming size bulbs they bloom nicely for perhaps two years. They then start dividing and growing new bulbs. As the bulbs grow they take nurishment from the main bulb. After a time the new bulbs will start blooming. The first years are a reverse. First years will produce small flowers and with age the flowers will increase in size until they reach their peak. They then repeat the process. For some this takes a year or two others longer.

The speaker suggested that you plant deeper than suggested and add fertilizer each year after they bloomed then in the fall.

I have purple and white tulips that have been in the ground for at least 15 years and still go through the cycle. Probably if I dug them I could have more bulbs but too lazy and busy in the fall.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9139146

Do you want to see some of my blooms? Here are TPs

Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9139150

Herbacious-- coral charm, M. jules Elie, Do Tell

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9139154

Roland, a bonus plant from Hidden Gardens, Eden's temptation, the Faun, a baby peony this year, with parchment like color

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9139162

Better view of the Faun, a brand new Athena plant, and showing the buds with wild geranium

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9139168

Moonstone early and late, and Paula Fay was pretty small this year, having been moved.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

May 26, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9139262

I ordered Athena just ahead of Hidden Springs closing the door on her with a sold out sign. Mine are all up, some quite big. Mackinac Grand, Lemon Chiffon and Julia Rose will have the most and largest flowers looking at the stems and buds. but it will (should) be the end of June at the earliest for flowers to open.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 26, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9139263

Very, very nice! Gorgeous, in fact. I moved my Moonstone and it was itty bitty too.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 26, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9139325

Ah3815, thank you. That answers a lot of questions. Sometimes I am surprised that tulips bloom faithfully after this long time.

Rosemary, the tree peonies are gorgeous and so are the herbaceous peonies. Are all the herbaceous peonies from this year?

I remember choosing my wedding gown more than 30 years ago. It was so beautiful and just what I wanted. I described it to my best friends. When I went back for fitting a few months later, the gown was nothing the way I had described it. Still beautiful, but most of the details I had recalled were wrong. So it is with peonies. I had forgotten how beautiful they were until this morning. With the warm weather upon us, I do believe the double peonies will open soon as well.

Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166   Thumbnail by cathy166

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 26, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9139340

Hi again. yes, the herbacious ones are in bloom now, except tiny Athena just finished, and the pink TP finished a few days ago. A few more opened today, and the "white garden" is mostly in bud, only, as well as in weeds that are taunting me.There are tiny blooms on most of the new ones or the ones I moved, but that way i can see if I like the color, so pics later. Several of my "established" peonies such as M. Jules Elie and Sarah Bernhardt are actually three years old. Majority of the others are new this year, and a bunch are two years old.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9144828

Rosemary, do you still have peonies in bloom? Last night's rain took out a bunch of our, but we are fortunate that there are still more to come. What is it with peonies and rain! And how could something so beautiful on a stem look so sad on the ground?

Most of the peonies have buds or blooms, some for the first time ever. I don't know about the Itoh purchased this February if I should expect it to bloom this year, but am starting to doubt it.

I laughed to myself when you mentioned the "white garden." In the spring before the peonies and lilies, that garden becomes the blue garden, then the purple garden. Not planned by us; planned by Mother Nature I guess. Blues from the Muscari, reticulated iris and I guess Squill. Purple/lavender from the Allium, wood hyacinths and Lunaria.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9145178

My peonies, having been moves, or new, are small. My White Cap, which in the year after I planted it in the ground, produced one bloom, produced one large bloom when I put it in the ground. This year, it has about ten flowers, but they are small. I put lots of lilies around them this year, to get a pop. It's funny how much more easily lilies return to form.

I am please d that every peony I moved bloomed, except that my new Festiva Maxima, which did not bloom in the ground or in a pot, is probably not going to bloom. But Lady Alexandra Duff, torn up roots and all, produced a flower.

I look forward to next year.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9145760

Fortunately here the peonies are still going, but in a transition to the next bloom period. I'll post later and you'll see why the wind and rain aren't overly serious here. The spent ones do get washed away though. Not that I wouldn't prefer them to last forever!
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 4, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9152246

Cathy166, what is the last peony pictured above? I love that lavender color and don't think I have anything like it! Finally getting into bloom time here in Vermont but with all the rain we have had I am way behind on getting the gardens in shape.. We do what we can. I think three of the peonies I got from literally chopping up two plants last fall will bloom. Most of the 14 plantlings I created mad buds but, of course, they just blasted. Here is my first bloom of this year. It is the Russian Red Charm that always blooms first. It came from Russia as a seed, was supposed to be red Charm, but is a pretty bloom in any event. Expecting Paula to open tomorrow.

Thumbnail by okcrow

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9152281

OK's Russian Charm still delights.

Here are a few more from last week. Rain today has them sagging. First one, lost it's label. Either Humei or Dr. Alex Flemming? I forgot, but maybe someone else knows. We got a huge bush in just one year.

Thumbnail by RosemaryK   Thumbnail by RosemaryK

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9152288

Also first year for White Cap, which I learned about from the Peony thread

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9152295

One bloom on brand-new Cora Louise. Next is what I planted thinking it was Elsa Sass. Clearly I don't know what I actually got. Any ideas? It looks like a paler version of orange lace.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9152298

Sarah Bernhardt came out well this year

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9152303

Misaka was planted from a huge Monrovia pot last year. It seems to like its spot just fine.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9152313

Nancy Nora, and then the true Orange Lace

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9152317

The white garden is starting to show too. Brand new Krinkled White, second year Douchesse de Nemours I think, and Nick Shaylor

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9152393

Here's my hill that is somewhat protected from anything but the heavy downpour we had this weekend. Pics are from last week, with Green Lotus and Do Tell starting to fade in first shot. Then you can see the pinks in the second as they were just starting.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9152446

Rosemary, those are just lovely. I think Nick Shaylor may be my favorite.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #9152898

Thank you Donna. Last year's Nick Shaylor was much more of a white with red edges on the petals. I love variety in that it doesn't branch or have side buds--all the effort went into one glorious blossom. This year, the fragrance on the Douchesse de nemours and Eden's Temptation, all planted in the same row at the same time, got my attention. FM, which I know you love, didn't do well this year.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 5, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9153179

I found out that Lemon Chiffon has side buds. This is the first year. I pinched maybe 80% and left some. Ants are all over the biggest buds on several of the plants. The oldest ones. Any day now...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9153325

Rosemary! Peonies with alliums and salvia! Love it.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9153476

Okcrow, I believe that last one is "Bowl of Beauty" and it is sort of lavender with an ivory center.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9153485

Thanks for the complements, Donna. I am still looking for plant combination for the white garden. So far, white and pink allium, rhubarb, money plant and Lambs ears, for once the bulbs fade.

I wonder if Bowl of Beauty is what my Elsa Sass impersonator is also. The other one i suspect is a faded Color Magnet. My verified Bowl of Beauty is a little more pink, but it also has a little more shade.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9153522

What about feverfew Tetra Strain aka Virgo, white borage, and a little rose, like the polyantha Marie Pavie, which blooms from April into December if it's mild? The feverfew and borage bloom all season, and as a bonus, come back the following year. Double feverfew is actually hardy here. Plant it once, and that's it!

I grew Madame Hardy, a once blooming rose, and surrounded it with all of the above, plus lilium Chystal Blanca.

Pic. 1 Feverfew Tetra Srain (Virgo ) in bud.

Pic 2. Massed.

Pic. 3 With Madame Hardy

Pic. 4 With white borage and the stems of Crystal Blanca.

Pic. 5 Just being gorgeous.

And you can pull out the excess easily.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9153662

Is it a problem to control? It sounds invasive.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9153710

Thanks, Donna. I'll try these ideas.

I guess the peony show must be moving up North now.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9154115

It's easy to control. It's not taprooted at all. I just pull it up if I don't want it there. And it comes up in clumps. Harder to control are plants I love like verbena bonariensis, which is a delight but removing the extras is a matter of pulling up a billion single stems. This forms plants. When you pull one plant up, you are in fact removing dozens of flowers at a time. The pic on the right is 3 plants. And it doesn't dislodge other plants. I love nicotiana alata, but the roots are so big that they can dislodge other plants when you pull them up..

And it goes with everything, and is extremely drought tolerant. And unlike nicotiana, or four o'clocks (another favorite) it is open during the day.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2012
10:55 PM

Post #9154157

All the northern peony blooms are just lovely. My last 2 plants to bloom this spring were Lady Orchid and tp Kinakaku. This was the first year for Kinkaku, and it had 2 blooms.

Rosemary and cathy, you both have an excellent selection of plants. Them make me want to add more to my wants list ;~)

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9154421

Sounds like a winner, Donna! Thanks.

cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9154519

Cem, those are beautiful. The tree peony is outstanding.

When we moved to this house in 2005, there were 3 tree peonies and about 8 double peonies. I filled in, mostly from Costco, with about another 20 or so non-doubles and recently another tp. The Costco roots had about one to 2 eyes and took four years to really take off. The first Bowl of Beauty purchased (in a pot for a lot more $$) is going to be dug up shortly as it has never bloomed where it is, and it was planted by a landscaper. While it is with the original double peonies, I'm guessing it needs more sun and is probably too deep, but I don't know for certain. I purchased an intersectional this year, but the bed has other peonies in it as well as a lot of tall growth from lilies and mondarda

I know you mentioned earlier that you purchased new peonies this year, and I caution you not to be discouraged if you don't see a bloom for a year or two. Even then the buds might not mature and bloom. I also had others that grew nicely but did not bloom, so about 18 months ago we dug them up as they were too deep. I was amazed at the size of the woody roots. When moved to a sunnier site, they came to life.

I have always gardened, but I have learned so much from DG, Mother Nature and life experiences.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 6, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9155105

Leawood,

You're gonna Love it!
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 11, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9161267

Too much rain then a very busy weekend at the Inn but the Northern Peonies have finally arrived. Each day a couple more open, some only to beheaded so the fragrance can come inside! Here are a few from today: Buckeye Belle, Show Girl and Kay Tischler, all from pots last year, and Burma Ruby & Cameo Lullaby, both bare roots from Klehm's last Fall. The Burma Ruby is just spectacular, the redist red ever and I love the way the Cameo Lullaby changes color as it opens. Very happy with Klehm's.

Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9161279

Ohhh! Love them all. Cameo lullaby is a new one to me, and very unique. Mine from Klehms have been pretty reliable too. If its one they developed anyway, I just assume buy it from them. I bought from several places this year, and there was no pattern for which ones didn't come up.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9161313

Beautiful blooms okcrow. I've never ordered from Klehms. How big were the peony tubers that you got last fall?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9161398

They rreally are beautiful. I'm a big fan of Burma Ruby, which blooms really well in semi-shade.

okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 11, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9161504

Cem, The group of three are so called "rock garden" peonies including Memorial Gem, Squirt, and Easy Going. The group of four are the herbaceous ones, Over Easy, Burma Ruby, Cameo Lullaby, and White Cap. It looks like those four will bloom this year. The others are the first rock garden type peonies I have. They are lovely looking plants but won't bloom this year. I will wait til next year before thinking about whether they are too deep or somesuch.

Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9161719

Thanks so much for posting the peony tubers. They do send good size tubers. I may just have to order from them in the future. Annette
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9162121

Boy those are skookum tubers. I lost Nosegay. I should have dug it up weeks ago. It rotted. Soil was too hummusy and I watered too much. Crapdoodle. I have 7 more coming this fall so maybe will just let it go. It WOULD be one of the more expensive ones. :( Red Charm is jusssstttttt about ready to burst open. My Itoh's are running a lot slower than last year. Julia Rose bloomed concurrently with Red Charm last year but not even close this year. Oh, and my ferny guy is way tall with lots more stems and buds.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9162426

How wonderful to see all the northern peonies blooming. My last peonies bloomed about a month ago. This was one of the new peony "beds" that I put in last year - beds being in quotes because I am not sure if 5 peonies constitute a bed LoL

Here are some of the plants blooming late April/early May in that bed -
Red charm in foreground, Festiva maxima in the back, with an unopened Bowl of Beauty to the left.

Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup   Thumbnail by soilsandup

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 12, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9162478

Beautiful flowers and a really nice peony 'bed' :)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9162575

You bet five peonies constitutes a bed, especially when they are as beautiful as yours!
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 14, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9165264

Everyday we get a couple more. Looking atr my records I would say they are about a week early compared with past year.

Here are a couple that are new, planted from pots last spring. Coral Supreme and Coral & Gold. An old friend, Paula Fay and one of my favorite, Martha W who is very prolific. Also random shot of the peony patch:-)

Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9165451

OK Crow, love your blooms. Lupines bloom with the peonies here too. Love the combination. If we didn't know better, you'd think it was a fortunate accident of nature to see those lovely blooms.
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 14, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9165481

If you look closely, in the middle of the picture there is a Delphinium in bloom! That is rather strange in my experience:-)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 14, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9165488

I would love to have lupines but they go nuts up here and become invasive. Is there a different kind. I keep seeing them in gardens in the Lower 48 and no one mentions invasion.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9165565

I've seen them heavily established in areas of Minnesota. Duluth, which I have visited several times, comes to mind. They can get pretty relentless. In my part of the midwest they are difficult to grow, and the baptisia trend here started partially as a substitute for lupines.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9165698

Thanks, Mary and Donna.

OKcrow - beautiful patch you have there,

Mary - in response to your invasiveness comment on lupines - I have been trying for years to grow them - no luck. I finally have a few plants that is still alive now that I started from seed, and may bloom this year. Now Japanese anenomes - they get into everything in my garden...

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9165871

Lupines are not very prominent in my region. It took several years for the seeds I sowed to produce just a few plants in my garden. Looks from the amount of seed pods that I have plenty more now if I don't cut the seed pods off.

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9165889

Ha! I find the discussion of lupines as 'invasive' quite interesting. I've tried them several times and finally gave up after reading an article that said lupines won't grow in Kansas. I think it's our high overnight temperatures that does them in.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9166063

In Duluth you see them on hillsides, on the sides of roads, and in wild places by the hundreds. Aptly described as invasive there, but beautiful to outsiders (and perhaps to them as well). It'so cool there that lilacs bloom in July! They also like very well drained soil, and a lot of midwesterners have somewhat clayey soil.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 15, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9166092

Interesting. Maybe they need cool weather. I can't grow Japanese Anemones just Sylvestris that is on the edge of invasive as it seems to sends tendrils everywhere. But easily pulled up. Could probably get rid of it all in one or two seasons. I thought about growing lupines in a container but the seeds would probably get away from me even if I tried to deadhead religiously. Sorry to get off topic but was curious about your experience with lupines. I have two Baptisia 'Blue Smoke" bushes, but no small plants.
okcrow
East Dover, VT
(Zone 4b)

June 22, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9176193

I posted my condolences on the Memorial Threat for Carol (FancyVan) but I have had some issues trying to post to this thread.

It seems that all the peonies wanted to bloom at the same time this year. Here are some from the past week. Here for DonnaMack. It is one that I hacked apart last fall. Four of them bloomed!! White Cap is one I learned about on this forum and put in bareroot last fall.

Thumbnail by okcrow   Thumbnail by okcrow

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9176508

Oh, thank you. They are gorgeous! And isn't White Cap the most amazing peony?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9177103

It's been a while since I have been on this thread, and I have to say your peonies are all magnificant. Okcrow, soilsandup and Cem, I hope you are proud parents.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 29, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9186684

My first three peonies: Fernleaf, Red Charm, Lemon Chiffon (not completely open).

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9186712

Oh, I've been looking forward to this!

I see that the bees love Lemon Chiffon as much as I do.

Please don't hesitate to repost the semi-open. I'm ready for my northern peony fix. Most of mine were transplants so most of them were just OK. Yours are always wonderful.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 29, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9186877

I counted five bees in one of Lemon Chiffon. I really need a beehive. I can't believe how tall the peonies are this year. Mackinac Grand should go next.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 29, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9186995

Mary, they're gorgeous! Do you know the name of the plant behind the fernleaf peony? I've got tons of it.

Marcia
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

June 30, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9187391

Should be ligularia 'The Rocket', or a rhodendrun, or some columbine. Thanks.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 2, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9190606

Here are a few more of Lemon chiffon open more, Red charm and now Mackinac Grand

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9190884

Lemon Chiffon looks almost edible, and Mackinac Granl almost poppy-like.

Gorgeous.

Please keep them coming.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 3, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9191139

I keep asking myself what is so special about Lemon Chiffon. As more and more make it to the market and growers can start growing their own (hmmmm. I wonder if that is legal yet. Is Lemon Chiffon still, uh, 'copywrited' so to speak/) it is coming down in price. But back to what makes it so interesting. I was looking at it from my bedroom window and remembered a description I read a long time ago. That looking at it from across a field ----- it seems to glow. And by gosh, that is true.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9191438

I think, realistically Mary, that you can feel comfortable propagating it for yourself, and perhaps friends. Not sure it's legal, but it certainly practical. What is probably risky, and you wouldn't do it, is to advertise it on Ebay or even a swap site.

It really is stunning. I have never been particularly interested in intersectionals. Just my eye, but Bart didn't do much for me. But Lemon Chiffon! I'm not even a "yellow" person, and I am looking around for a seller.

You enabler, you!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 3, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9191549

LOL. Be prepared for sticker shock...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9192069

Oh, oh!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9192683

D.onna, do you ever just dig up your peonies and split them? Or just let them get bigger and bigger
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9192805

Mary, you're having a great peony season! They are beautiful. Does it also rain in your area in the summertime? We can almost guarantee rain on our peonies.

That dark red peony is fabulous (Mackinac Grand?). Thank for extending our peony season vicariously. Have a grand 4th.

Marcia
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2012
11:31 AM

Post #9192854

I have never split them, and some of them were enormous. My house with the killer peonies is under contract, but I only dug up two of my more mature ones - Lady Alexandra Duff and a Kansas, in for YEARS, that had never bloomed properly. I did feed them well with low nitrogen fertilizer, and I keep them watered.

I dug up all the peonies Steve gave me - they had only been in 2-3 years. Lois completely rocked out and bloomed better than ever. Burma Joy returned to her former splendor. White Cap too. But most of them took a step back. Well, if I'd been dug out of the ground, shoved into a pot, stored in a garage for the winter and then replanted I'd pout too!

Lois, in the first pic, had never formed more than one flower, and they were pale. She blew me away. I nestled her in the midst of some salvia ssp tesquicola I had grown from seed.

The second is, of course, Burma Joy.

I love Mackinac Grand too. It's such a beauty.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9192886

Okay. I had wanted to break apart one of my peonies to send a piece to someone else. I have two of them so if one is set back I don't mind. Thanks.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9193010

Mary, I would go ahead and do it. You are not selling them, or widely distributing them.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9193117

Nope. No interest in that. Just want to share a little back.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9193292

Sounds pretty sweet to me!

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9197212

Oberon, I believe if you dig carefully into a fairly young peony it is possible to find a root to cut off without disturbing the whole plant. I've divided my 20 yo peony by digging it up and replanting. Best to retain at least 3 eyes on a piece, same as the sellers do.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9197655

Okay. thanks Rosemary. I was thinking of trying what you suggested and just expose part of a root. It has only been in this spot two years. I have two of them. One out back of the house that comes out of the snow a full two to three weeks before I dig the other out which is where the snow from the driveway gets thrown, although in full sun other than that. The one out back bloomed a week ago. The one out front has buds but not close to popping yet. Interesting that the snow cover delays them so long here in the same state.

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9198368

I have no idea what that much snow and cold does to a peony, but I guess it's mostly just dormant much of the time!
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 9, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9199324

Pretty much. Here are Julia Rose and Cora Louise, the next two for this year.

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9199369

Julia Rose looks like a water lily. Here is one from The Botanic Garden last year.

Cora Louise is shaped rather like a Joseph Rock (sp?) I once saw, but much prettier. Is it the same type?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 9, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9199425

Sort of. it is an intersectional but not a rockii. Huge difference in price. Mine being much less expensive. I have really steered toward the simple form of flower. In fact Red Charm is probably the only one I have that is a full ball or double I guess you would call it. Roselette only had one little flower so I guess she will take the full three years to start to take off. Bride's Dream, Sunset Charm should go next. According to the 7 weeks theory.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9199591

Yes, I was with an individual who was purchasing a rockii and the price was pretty headturning.

Please keep posting, and thank you/

RosemaryK

RosemaryK
Lexington, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9199752

Last year i bought a little Rockii for $39 at Eidelweis Nursery through DG. it's tiny, but i can say i have a pure Rockii. The story about how they were saved from the Monastery by Joseph Rock is just too interesting. I don't know the actual parentage of Cora Louise, but i was wondering if there was some Rockii in it too.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 10, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9200349

This is what wiki says:

Tree peony hybrids with Paeonia rockii as one parent are called Rockii-hybrids. In China there are several cultivar groups of these hybrids, called Gansu Mudan and Zhongyuan Mudan, or North-West Chinese cultivar group. The European-grown Suffruticosa Group (Paeonia suffruticosa) also belongs here.

So the rockii are all tree peonies. Since Cora Louise is an Itoh (intersectional) I guess it could be possible that one of the parents was a rockii. Will keep looking
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 13, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9203925

Mary, are your peonies still blooming?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 13, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9203954

Oh yes. Cora Louise and Julia Rose started a week ago. Coral Sunset opened yesterday. I planted some new ones last year that will open late but will still have at least one bloom. They usually last til around the middle of August. I have tried to get some from each week 1-7. I have four more coming this fall and that should finish it. I have no more room appropriate to peonies.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 13, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9204253

I always loved the idea of having blooms each week. I was lucky enough to get some earlies (Burma Ruby and Lois,) I think it's fun to have something forever going on, but if I had the room, I think I'd grow three of each one I wanted, to get that color explosion.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

July 13, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9204320

Next one up is Coral sunset

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 14, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9204701

Nice, vibrant color!

LeawoodGardener

LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9225678

ATTENTION BARGAIN HUNTERS!

I just discovered the nursery where I bought several of my peonies is closing - the owner is retiring and has announced a HALF-OFF SALE of all stock. They have lovely varieties and excellent stock.

Check it out!

http://www.peonies.net/index.php
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 1, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9225689

Thank you!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9246904

Happy Birthday Donna!!!!

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9247065

What a gorgeous bouquet!

Thank you, sweetie.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9247128

Happy belated birthday, Donna. Hope it was a great day.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9247288

I heard from so many of my DG friends on threads and in Dmail, so it was a LOVELY day!

Thank you.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Dried out "cover" on peony buds DonnaMack 28 Jun 8, 2007 12:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America