Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Brittle branches on heritage river birch saplings

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 0, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
michelleinAL
Madison, AL

April 17, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9086338

We live in Northern Alabama - home of red clay. Our builder planted two 9 ft Heritage river birches in our front yard last June (2011). I have no idea how wide the planting hole was, but the trees don't seem to have been planted too deep. They have two and three trunks (clumps), and are situated in the middle of the lawn and mulched about 4-5 inches deep and two feet out from the base of the trunks (I did this, to extend the mulch out to the then drip line and keep the turfgrass at bay). The mulch forms a little "bowl" around the trunks, and does not touch them. Both trees have grown about four feet in height since last June, and are double as wide as when planted. Other than the past two weeks, we have had good rainfall, and I was careful to give them plenty of water last year after being planted. The problem I am having is that now half of the stems are bare and brittle. A branch will be mostly bare, yet have a few stems with leaves. Others have half the stems bare, and others are fully leafed out. I don't see any borer holes. My husband can't get close enough with the mower to cause damage, and does not weedeat around them, and we do not "treat" our lawn. I called three garden centers, and they all said you can't overwater river birches - even in our clay - and with all the rain I sure don't think they were underwatered! We did have a hard frost April 11, three weeks after the leaves first came out. But the branches were already bare... I thought maybe they just hadn't sprouted yet. Oh, and there is also a lot of green algae/moss growing on one of the trees. What could be wrong? And what can I do to help my trees?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America