Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

plant bulbs too early

Searcy, AR(Zone 7b)

I planted my caladiums and elephant ear bulbs about a month ago they haven't came up yet . Does it need to be warmer? It's been in the 70 to 80's during the day and as low as 45 at night

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It needs to be now lower than about 60 degrees at night. 45 is much too cold. I don't know anything about your area, but I don't give as much credence to the air temp as the soil temp. My soils don't warm up soon enough, so I start indoors in containers.

Caladiums planted about a month ago are starting to sprout and grow. Still awaiting an elephant ear to sprout. It has been so warm that I take the kids outside for a romp :) during the day and then put them to bed in my kitchen at night. I can't wait for warm nights!

Marcia

Searcy, AR(Zone 7b)

So are the bulbs wasted ? Do they rot in the ground ? Do I just wait it out for warmer weather? It is mostly shaded there also. When I planted them it was in the 60's at night but it has gotten cooler since then. That's Arkansas weather for you.

noonamah, Australia

You could check some to see if any rot has started. If not I'd just keep them dry where they are until the weather warms up. Dry soil is a good insulator, wet soil isn't.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I'd take them out and put them in a pot. Soil in the shade takes longer to warm up and doesn't dry out too quickly, unless you live in Connecticut and it hasn't rained a good rain in weeks.

If they have rotten, get new bulbs.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Regina, were you able to save them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.