Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: planting creeping phlox.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
harms5
Waterloo, IA

April 18, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9087314

I just purchased 3- 8" pots of creeping phlox. Can I divide the pots when I plant them. If I divide them are they fast growing? I have a fairly large area that I would like them to cover.
GreeneLady
Oak Island, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9087475

I wouldn't divide the plants until fall. Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to divide plants while they are still blooming. They will do so much better if you put them in the ground now, let them finish flowering and establish a root system. When cooler weather comes back, you can dig them up and divide them then by cutting the plant in halves or thirds. Make sure you use a sharp knife, and sterilize the blade with rubbing alcohol before you cut. This will help prevent viruses and fungus attacking the plant when it is most vulnerable.

Depending on what variety of phlox you have, many varieties self sow. The common varieties that you find at your local greenhouses are usually hybrid phlox that have been bred for a certain color. They are usually propagated by cuttings to retain that desired color. When hybrid phlox varieties self seed, the plants that grow from that seed will usually not be the same color. Not really a bad thing, it will give you a a little variety of color, even if they won't be as brightly colored as the original plant. If I may suggest, try growing native phlox- Phlox drummondii. In my opinion, they are superior to hybrid phlox, keep their colors much better, and come in a gorgeous array of color variations. They are also super easy to grow from seed. They also spread much quicker than hybrid phlox.Good luck!

This message was edited Apr 18, 2012 12:54 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9088400

On the subject of creeping phlox..are they in bloom or done? If done you could take them out of their pots and check to see if there are several stems in various parts of the pot. If there are, you could let dry alittle then will be easier to break apart. If you happen to break any stems just stick them in the ground and keep them moist, they will sprout new roots in no time, give em a few weeks, then a light tug to see if there's any resistance, if so they have rooted, if not stick that stem back in the ground. They truely are a very easy plant. When I do spring cleanup, I brush the mat of phlox hard to get all the old crud off and if I happen to break any stems they go back into the ground to root, thus more plants... Hope that helps... Oh also, as the mat gets larger, you will find that many stems have rooted to the ground, thus more plants to spread about, just break any stem that keep he two plants together.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

harms5
Waterloo, IA

April 19, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9089079

Thanks for the tips! They are in full bloom so I did plant them. Glad to hear they grow easily.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America