Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: My new duckies...

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 19, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9087447

I got my new duckies in the mail today. Two cayugas, two swedish, two khaki cambells and one pekin.

They are so cute...then they will be all teenager looking in a few weeks, but they will still be my babies!

I got all girls since I have 3 boys already. My one girl needs a few girlfriends to take some of the heat off her. It's going to be quite a few weeks before they can go out with the big ducks, but they will have outside days soon.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8
Click the image for an enlarged view.

titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9087461

Also, I wanted to give you guys an update on my other flock...my chickens!

I gave away all but one of my first hatch of chicks in the Brinsea. Kept one and it is part wyandotte and part EE. The second one was the one born on St. Patties day and was almost my broodies lunch. It is part Faverolle and I think partridge rock. They are doing well and I have been able to put the older one in with the rest of the flock without much trouble. Got a couple of them that like to chase it, but the little one has learned how to get up on the roost to escape. The younger one is now where the older one was...in a large kennel in the main coop. See pics below...

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8   Thumbnail by titaniumRX8
Click an image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 18, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9087601

Nothing cuter than a duckling. Almost nothing as obnoxious as a teen-age drake!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 18, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9087870

porkpal - no drakes in this bunch - already have 3 boys chasing my mallards around. Just wanted to add some girls so my lone female doesn't get over mated. She is already missing feathers on her neck.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 18, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9087926

Yes. I was applauding your choice of an all female order. I once adopted four stray Muscovies that all turned out to be male...

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9088666

Ahhh duckies!! My first experience with them has turned out very well! My two little impulse buy Pekins in March are now almost fully grown and both are female! I wish they didnt grow up sooooo fast!
T-Rx , I love your baby duckies! But these two Pekins will be my last for a while. Too many other birdie frying pans in the fire right now! LOL! I just lo-o-ove that Wyandotte /EE cross!!!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 19, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9089405

I don`t know what cuter baby ducks or baby chicks,I guess its a tie
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9089853

Depends on which ones I currently have...:)
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9090010

Sad news this morning. My rooster Turkey died sometime last night/this morning. Found him in one of the nest boxes...looked like he just fell asleep and never woke up.

You will be missed Turkey.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9090120

You will be missed Turkey Old Fella!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 20, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9090192

Oh so sorry for your loss
smedgekles
Conroe, TX

April 21, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9092232

Cute little duckies.

Sorry about Turkey, always hard to lose a pet.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9093056

love the duckies. I am having a time with them this year. Geting late cold nights. Lost 1 Ringed Teal duckling, all 3 Bahama Pintails and as of today I have lost 2 of the 4 grey runner ducklings. I took out the big water pan and just left a drinking bowl and 2 very shallow pans. Will fill up the big pan during the day so mom and dad Chiloe can bath then empty it for night. Supposed to go down to 49 brrr. So cool breezy outside side today turned a/c off and have doors and windows open.

I only have a couple more days to catch the other Chiloe broody off the nest and exchange her unfertile eggs for the White Mandarin eggs I have in the incubator. I don't want to have to hand raise them ugh!!! I stayed out there 2 hrs yesterday waiting for her to come off the nest
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 22, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9093318

Is it the wild temperature variation that is killing the ducklings? Best of luck with the eggs!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9093455

yes them getting wet and cold. They got in the big pan of water, got chilled and then couldn't get out
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 22, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9093481

Oh that is so sad!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9094018

With this CrAzy windy weather were all having Im worried that we may all see some losses! I was so afraid for my almost completely feathered out duckies that I emptied their swimming pool! I wasnt sure whether they should or could handle the sudden drop in temps and the wind! they were mad and madder this mrning when they found their pool empty!! But I wasnt going to take a chance! So for now they will have to just drink from a waterer!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 23, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9094358

I can just picture your irate ducks complaining and stomping their feet!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9094441

Eufaula make sure they have enough water while you are gone. I dry brooded the 4 I raised over winter and they drained a 1 gal water a day dabbling in it all day long. I filled it first thing in morning and again in the evening. I put them in the bath tub 2 or 3 x's a week for a few minutes. They do need water to groom and get the feathers in the right condition

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #9095553

I placed a bucket full of water for them Donna, plenty of water until I get home from work! they were confused but didnt waste a minute figuring out how to drink from it! If they had still been tiny like they were just amonth ago, I would have put them into the shed and back into a brooder...but in just a short 1 and a half months these girls are grown!!!!!! fully feathered and BIG! theyu pretty much are taking care of themselves now.
I refilled their pool this morning. the temps are going back into the 60's so all should be well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America