Photo by Melody

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Electric vs propane stove for canning?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 27, Views: 140
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9087538

Which do you prefer to can on? I am going to be building a house and we are deciding what will be gas and what will be electric.
I had a smoothtop electric before and liked the way it cleaned up easily. But I had an idea that the propane was easier to regulate the temp and cooks better?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9088016

I hate trying to regulate the heat for canning on electric glass cooktops, plus many say NOT to use a canner on them either.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9088107

I've used wood, electric, and propane - prefer propane. Wood was good for moving pots to just the right spot, but much too hot for canning (the whole kitchen turned into a sauna). Electric is too hard for me to control, although I think those who really know their burners are successful. I currently have a gas burner, electric oven combo which I like a lot. If you have the opportunity to actually COOK on what you plan to buy, that would be great - I discovered a very annoying 'snap-snap-snap' on my Thermador burners which may have pushed me up to the next level (the wolves and their ilk). Too late now, bought installed and paid for.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9088243

I must be the only person that finds a gas stove harder to cook on that electric. On any electric stove that I've cooked on much I can easily set the control so that the canner pressure moves less than 1 psi in half an hour. with a gas stove I have exam the flame and decide every time I make an adjustment weather it is the same as the last time I did it. I figure if I had to use a gas stove I'd find some graduated knob for it.
The other factor I dislike about a gas stove is the amount of indoor pollution they create. I was reading about one study that was don't in LA. It started out with the team trying to measure how much pollution was working it's way into apartments around some of the worst intersections in LA. What they found out was that in apartments with gas stoves the air quality was poorer than the air in the middle of the worst intersection
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9088870

My parents had a gas fireplace and mom got a head ache every time they ran it. got rid of it, and put in an electric fireplace.
I had not thought about that. I am susceptible to headaches, and I cook a lot, so maybe electric would be better for me. I just wasn't sure if you could can on a smooth surface cook top. I have heard some call them glass tops, others call them ceramic tops, is there a difference I wonder?
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

April 20, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9090876

They are a ceramic glass and many makers of the stove tops list canning as not an acceptable use.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #9091192

I've had electric and gas stoves, and I prefer the gas for canning. It's simply easier to control and hold the temperature. :) ...I have a brand new 5 burner gas stove (bought it this past Thanksgiving) and have had NO problems with it giving me headaches or smelling gas in the house. I love it and really enjoyed canning on it! Also, all the grates on the top connect together making it one large continuous grate, so you can set any size pot on it without fear of the pot slipping off the grate. :) For whatever it's worth, h
ere's the stove I got... http://www.sears.com/ge-profile-30inch-freestanding-gas-range-w-double-convection-oven/p-02264942000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9098546

http://www.lowes.com/pd_377091-83-PGB910DETWW_4294788368+4294965819+4294796430_41_?productId=3558684&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_White_4294788368%2B4294965819%2B4294796430_41_%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=White|GE

This is the one I am looking at on Lowe's website. I actually found someone here locally that has one for sale, they moved or something and then didn't get to use it again. I think it is basically the same stove and they are wanting $500 for it. I am going to look at it tonight.
Would LOVE to have TWO ovens :)
Does the top clean up good, or is it hard to clean?
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 26, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9098579

I've got a smooth top range and can on it all the time. And I can LOTS. I love the smooth top because if stuff overflows it's not going down in the stove. I use the razor blade to scrape stuff up and then use the polishing liquid. I've also taken a fine brillo pad to it. I've probably done everything that they tell you not to on that stove. I love the expandable burners on mine. One is extra large which accomodates my 20 qt industrial size cooking pan.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9098589

I loved my smooth top because it was so easy to clean and looked nice.
I really wish I had that 5th burner though, 6 would be nice. I cook a lot. I have never canned but may in the future. That is interesting that some have canned on the smooth top and have had no problems. I have heard that they get too hot and can crack. Knowing my luck it would!
I also like the idea of being able to cook in a power outage. Our architect told us, 2 yrs ago there was an ice storm here and some people IN TOWN were out of power for almost 2 weeks. He got power restored quickly because he is on the same line as the hospital. With 5 of us and food allergies, that is almost a must have. I can hardly eat much at a restaurant and anything with flour or corn products I have to make homemade. Well wheat or corn syrup is in almost everything nowadays. I found myself shuffling pans around to try to cook 5 or 6 things w only 4 burners :( Would love the double oven, but I am afraid that is way out of the budget...
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 28, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9101177

FrillyLily, yes, the top cleans up REAL easy! I love it! :) ...Oh, I forgot to say, that my stove also came with a Lodge cast iron griddle that fits where the center grate is located. It has the oblong burner underneath it! Love...it!
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9104028

I purchased a stove almost like it from Home Depot and it is going to be delivered next week!

well almost like it, but only one oven :)
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 30, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9104060

Hey Frilly I have a friend here in Se Ok that cans a tremendous amount as she and hubby are the best gardeners in this part of OK ..She cans because she loves to do it and most of here canning is done outside on her patio on a cast iron gas camp stove ..This is done mostly to keep from over heating her home ,basically she has an outdoor kitchen that has just kinda evolved over many years...
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9104866

YAY!! I'm excited for you, FrillyLily!! Make sure you post a picture of it when it comes!!! :-)
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9107019

[quote="grits74571"]Hey Frilly I have a friend here in Se Ok that cans a tremendous amount as she and hubby are the best gardeners in this part of OK ..She cans because she loves to do it and most of here canning is done outside on her patio on a cast iron gas camp stove ..This is done mostly to keep from over heating her home ,basically she has an outdoor kitchen that has just kinda evolved over many years...[/quote]

That is an AWESOME idea! you know the temps around here are outstandingly hot during the summer, and this would be a great way to keep the house cooler. Now I just have to find a way to keep everything from blowing away while I am working! (we have lots of gusty wind here) Not to mention the problems I'd have with the neighbors 12 dogs...lol

My mom cans in the winter. She cans meat mostly. Turkey, pork and chicken. Very convenient for making soups, casseroles, and gravies when you are in a hurry. She also cans potatoes. I guess you could do pumpkin and other things that you could grow in the summer, and then can up in the winter, great way to save your canning for a 'rainy day' and you have to heat the house in the winter anyway.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9107031

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Kitchen-Appliances-Ranges-Gas-Ranges/GE/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZbv5rZ1z141fzZ1z0yhyoZlo/R-202965763/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=stoves&storeId=10051&superSkuId=203023666

This is the stove I bought.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9107077

I freeze my berries for making jam in cooler weather. They need to break down anyway, and it's a nice warm project on a cold day.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 2, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9107170

Frilly If I recall right you just moved to Oklahoma a few years ago is this correct ?? If so how do you like the heat and over where you are there is a bit of wind ..Now mind you there isn't any place in OK that is exempt from wind..We live in Talihina which is in the heart of the mountains so ifin Y'all ever get to wanting to visit some awesome country come on over ...
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9107193

thanks for the invite!
I like the heat, not so bad, LOVE the sunny days. Back in MO we had a lot more cloudy weather and gray skies.
I can't stand the wind, I am certain I will never be used to that. I hate it because it just ruins my plants.
Just moved here last July, so not a year yet.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 2, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9107437

I thought I remembered that about you and that you were searching for info on soil types seems I can remember anything to do with gardens but some times forget my own phone number..
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9107831

ha! sounds like me.

I think apples and sweet potatoes would also go on the list of things you could store and can at a later date.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 3, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9108205

The thing I like to do with the apples is peel/slice/dry and then freeze that way they don't hog the freezer space ,i don't over dry them ..I put them in a gallon freezer bag and then can easily removed as many as I need ...
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9108414

And then can you rehydrate them and make pie filling?

grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 3, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9109340

Yes I can and have but mostly I just like stewed apples My wife is diabetic so don't make many pies anymore ,but the stewed ones are sweetened with splenda and are just great to have in the frig for a snack or with oatmeal in the mornings
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9109506

or icecream!

grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 4, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9109857

The Ice Cream fairy died here Nowadays our needs run more to plain fat free yogurt
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 4, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9110843

Frilly, I LOVE your stove!! It's SWEET!! Love, love, love 5 burners!!! :) I'm happy for you!! Happy canning!!! ;)
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

May 5, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9111637

thank you :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America