Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Handyman: Basement just waterproofed, new foundation problem?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 2, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jaileelsw
Massillon, OH

April 18, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9087655

Last week the construction began for interior basement waterproofing. They used jackhammers for a full day to dig out a trench around the perimeter of the basement. i could hear every word they said down there, and heard one of them say "I can't believe this house has no footer". I questioned them, and they said that it does. Later my husband asked, and they told him it does not have a footer, but not to worry, it didn't matter.
They completed the task. Dug the trench, installed the drain and gravel, then concrete. They installed the sump pump into the sink to drain to the sewer which was apparently illegal. It also blew out all of that plumbing and this week they came back to run the pump out to the downspout instead and fix the damaged plumbing.
It was a stressful week around here, I'm not sure if this started to happen right away or if it took a week, but on Monday this week I noticed very large plaster cracks, a little bit of ceiling cracking, and plaster pillowing in two second floor rooms and one first floor. On the first floor the damage is under a window. On the second its mid wall, then under and above a window and into the ceiling.
This house was built in 1930 and i know plaster is fragile. I hope that it was damaged simply from the vibrations of the jackhammers, but I fear that it's foundation damage from not having a footer. How would I be able to tell the difference? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9088235

If your county has a building inspector ask.The only way to tell is someone with experience with foundations and walls, that can look with they're own eyes.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9104045

My opinion which doesn't mean anything, because I am a nobody :)

But if your house was built in 1930 and has stood fine this long, with OR without a footer, and within one week of having these guys work on your house, you notice problems, I would be HIGHLY inclined to KNOW it was something they did that caused it and they are at fault. Of course if there is no footer and something went wrong, they are going to blame it on that, because they do not want to be responsible for what could have been either a poor job on purpose, or a poor job due to lack of knowing what they are doing--but either way, a poor job.
I would find someone right away who can asses the situation with PHOTOS and a copy on paper of what they determine.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America