Photo by Melody

Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants: Oh, nice one, Bev

Communities > Forums > Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plantsReplies: 14, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9088530

I love the bags!! Especially for potatoes as well as other things. I used the stacked tires years ago (OK, I'm old) and they do provide a lot of warmth for sweet taters especially, but the bags are so convenient if you need or want to move them around.

Good job, Bev. And a video tutorial to boot! Bravo. ^_^

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9088683

Carole,
I'm old too, lol! I'm discovering more plants to grow in the Totes and will have to remember about the sweet potatoes for next year!

Thanks so much for reading and your kind comments,
--
Bev

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 19, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9088726

I was going to say, "I used the tire stacks decades ago" (which is true), but that just sounded soooo old. ROTFL. Not just idle flattery, my dear. I meant everything I said. Since I do this stuff as well, I can vouch for it. I am certainly not opposed to gardening in the ground, but with all my Bermuda and "wildflowers" and other grasses and things, I might as well put up a sign that says, "Semi-weed garden along with a few potatoes". :-o(

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9088766

LOL, I know the feeling! My yard is sand and moss (not complaining) under these oak trees. The only spot of sun I have is right in the middle of the back yard and it's slowly diminishing as the trees age. My veggies have to be planted close together and I'm considering more vertical solutions now, too! Thanks again for your kind words.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9089182

Great article, I will have to try this!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9089565

LK, I hope you get a chance to try growing taters in totes!

Thanks for reading and posting,
--
Bev

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9089568

How long do they take to grow for harvesting?

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9089599

LK, The potatoes take the same amount of time in the grow bags as in the ground, just depends on the variety you plant. The 'New potatoes' only take a couple months, but the 'Old potatoes' will grow until they reach maturity or first frost. I briefly listed them in the Tater Chitting [ http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3671/ ] article sidebar (right side).
qterhrs
Friedens, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9094065

I will definitely try this. Will this work for sweet potatoes?

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9094067

Yes, it will work for sweet potatoes.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9094189

qterhrs, I haven't tried sweet potatoes yet, but trust Cville_Gardener to know, lol! In researching for additional article info, I found the Hessian sacks (big burlap bags) are used with holes cut into the sides with many types of veggies and flowers planted together. They're productive and beautiful, so there should be plenty of plants happy to live in a Tote.

Thank you for reading, and good luck with your grow bag gardening,
--
Bev

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9094279

Oops, didn't mean to answer for you, Bev. :-D)) I have a photo around here somewhere of sweet potatoes in a bag.

I have not made my own bags though. You're ahead of me on that.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9094287

Carole, I'm thankful you answered that question as you have experience with sweet potatoes and I do not, lol!!
Love the pic!!
qterhrs
Friedens, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9094378

Thank you. I bought 4 bags this year for my potatoes to see how easy they worked. Only bought 4 because of cost so you know I will be making my own now and planting my sweet potatoes in them also.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9094404

qterhrs, That's great! Now you'll have a comparison between the purchased bags and your homemade ones! Please post pics if you get a chance!! I have got to try sweet potatoes next year, we love 'em.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Other plants? martyR 1 Apr 23, 2012 7:36 AM
Terrific! thatswho 1 Apr 23, 2012 7:44 AM
Pests? quiltygirl 5 Apr 26, 2012 8:48 AM
Alternate Fabric? DesertRattess 5 Apr 25, 2012 8:07 PM
very intriguing . . . plantkiller46 3 May 2, 2012 4:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America