Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

High Yield Gardening: New Raised Beds-Black Walnut Trees

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 19, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9088593

Last summer we lost a huge black walnut tree in a storm. This transformed an incredibly shady area into a perfect site for a new raised bed veggie garden,which is something I really need since my entire yard is quite shady. I wonder about the soil though-that walnut tree had been growing on that site for at least 50 years-I've had hostas and a few other shade loving perennials growing underneath it. When I put in my new raised beds I will be adding fresh soil, but my question is, do I need to put some kind of barrier down to keep the black walnut toxins (juglone?) from affecting my new veggie plants (I won't plant until next year)?
Thanks!
Deb
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9090460

Sorry I can't give you a good solid answer, though I have heard that juglone is water soluble and that if you compost the leaves, they should be safe after one year.
I'd be concerned about how well the soil would retain the juglone.
Many veggies are tolerant and you might go that route; corn, beans, pumpkins, squash, etc. You can do a search for juglone tolerant plants online.
Those of the nightshade family are at a high risk and should not be planted; tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc.
DMurray407
Buffalo, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 20, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9090912

Thanks for your reply, Yardener :)
Jim41
Delhi, LA

January 22, 2013
12:03 AM

Post #9393257

I would think that if your bed was eight to ten inchs deep, you shouldn't have any trouble. I wouldn't be afraid to try it. Anytime I build a new get I layer the bottom with a heavy layer of news paper. It helps to keep grass from coming up in the bed and after a few years, it rots.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America