Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Need help with flats

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 5, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lssfishhunter
Jonesville, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9088885

I am very disappointed with the quality of flats that I am having to buy every year. It seems to me that they are getting thinner and weaker and the prices go up everytime I buy them. Am I alone thinking this? Where can I get the most 'sturdy' flats for my germination? I am having problems with the flats with no holes getting holes in the corners. I am referrring to the flats that are solid black and I fit ones with the holes in them inside the ones with no holes. Can someone give me some help with the best place to buy some good flats online possibly? Thanks for the responses.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9089650

I've been using the ones from Gardener's Supply, 16.95.

http://www.gardeners.com/Self-Watering-Tray/38-561,default,pd.html

They are very sturdy, and come with a platform and capillary matting for continuous watering. They are a little bigger than the standard 1020 trays. I use cellpacks, and 2" and 4" pots, depending on what I'm growing and what stage the plants are in. I'm on year 3 with some and still going strong. I use them inside and out in the cold frame and even during the summer outside for things that need babying. I've replaced some of the matting on the ones that were outside all season, but except for that they look like they'll last forever.

Pam
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9089702

I use Perma-Nest 11 x 22 x 2.5 trays that I purchased online from IGS, because they offered trays in a selection of colors.

http://indoorgardensupplies.com/accessories-plant-trays-c-108_111.html?osCsid=a3557d462fbaf0647177c82acce9ab10

I chose the white ones. Mine have been in service for 5 years and they are still "going strong". They have become a little discolored with age and are a sort of ivory color now.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

This message was edited Apr 19, 2012 10:58 PM

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9097792

I've been planning to buy some thin plywood, or cheap wood panelling, to put under flimsy trays to make them stiffer.

You can patch cracks with Gorilla Tape. Duct tape might work also.

I usually use "insert trays", like 72 cells per tray. That way I can let seedlings grow for a few weeks and still plant them out without "untangling" roots. The tear-apart six-packs of cells are very haqndy when I go to p-0lant out, because I can turn just 6 plants upside down, and usually only 1-3 fall out at a time.

Or I use the stiffer "propagation trays", 50 or 128 cells per tray. Those, I usually cut into 3-4 pieces so I can turn 15-32 plants upside down at a time, or plant out 1/4 of a tray while leaving 3/4 under lights.

Usually I plant out or pot up when the root ball has formed, and pops out of the cell or insert whole. I gather that others "pric k out" the seedlings as soon as they have a few real leaves. I guess at that point, the root is just a little whisker. Trying to work with them that small makes me flinch. Aren't they really fragile & tender?

Grower's Solution sells Perma-Nest trays. 22" x 11", or smaller.

https://www.growerssolution.com/PROD/perma-nest-plant-trays/PermaNest

This message was edited Jan 8, 2013 4:35 PM

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

May 7, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9115025

I have purchased flats from Parks during the 80's and still have them. I think they are Perma-Nest and light green. Others I use I have purchased from Walmart and have no problems with them
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9121803

I have several 3 year old perma-nest flats (light green color) which were sturdy, however, if you live in a hot climate like I do, don't leave them out in the heat of summer, they become brittle and crack - I'm not talking about direct sunlight, just high temps in shade! I still like them though...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America