Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

April 19, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9088990

We had these little critters shack up in our yard twice last year which left me pulling my hair out by Fall. This year I had built a 2 foot high netting around my big raised bed and cleared the unneeded and excess herbs out of my other beds to keep the bunnies out. I thought it worked until I see 4 of these little guys all around my yard hunched behind my plants and up against the slab. The one in the picture was quite tame so to speak seeing how it let me pick it up 3 times and take its picture before finally carrying it off and letting it go further down in our tiered neighborhood. I finally found the nest after I was questioning why these things like my yard so much and wondering if they were coming from my neighbors yard. As I walked on the side of our yard that I completely neglect except for mowing there I find the nest right against the downspout of the gutter splash guard. Now the funny thing about this is that I just mowed this area 4 days ago and the mower went right over the top of this nest!

All is and was well and now we simply have 4 more bunnies to add to our ever growing population of these furry critters. Looking like it's nearing the time for me to permanently rabbit proof my yard before I get deemed the rabbit breeder.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9089043

Wonder if they dodgin snakes, the young ones are docile til they get older- we used to cart them out of the hayfield and feed em til they ran off- that one is cat bait size and cats love em
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

April 19, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9089159

Yeah this was the only one that let me hold it as the other three were running all around the yard and bouncing off the fence while I was trying to scoop em up to move them elsewhere. He was cute but I really do not like the bunnies anywhere near where I grow anything or even seeing any. So to my surprise while I was sitting on my semi porch step I looked down and saw a 4 inch bunny hunkered in the corner of my step and slab. I have been seeing cats running about so I am guessing that all these baby bunnies may get picked off one by one and the ones that survive the cats may end up as dinner for the owls.
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

April 19, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9089700

I don't like rabbits either (they will eat all the leaves off young pepper plants) but those little bunnies sure are cute! Too bad they don't stay small and only eat grass...
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9090302

Poor things, they're so cute! I don't have any around my gardens or I might feel otherwise.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

April 28, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9101691

I hate squirrels! They break my flower pots, knocking them over. They dig up my Hostas! I ordered two of those ultrasonic repel devices to put in my yard. It is suppose to repel all animals, the dogs and the cats. I sure hope it works.
Anyone had any experience with them?
goofballTex
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9102136

Ooh, them dang rabbits! I swear, they are the very creations of the devil. It's infuriating how ridiculously
cute they are. I do a lot of container gardening, so my plants are pretty much in limited supply per species.
The cottontails wreak havoc if I get careless. Perkos, if you do end up rabbitproofing your place, be sure
to share some pointers with us!

Sylvia, I hear that the ultrasound devices work pretty well at driving mammals away. But apparently, it
also works on some insects, too, like butterflies, for instance. Birds, too. I guess you should make sure
they don't drive your neightbors' pets crazy, first.
Brandon
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

April 29, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9102667

Kewl on the neighbors pets! I am tired of them running through here crapping all over the place!
But my Birds, I will miss my birds! My big Red Jay ... oh Woe is me! ... and I got bird houses all over the place. I saw a egg on the ground one had dropped. Maybe I can keep it on long enough to keep the squirrels, cats and dogs out ... just remembered my stray cat I feed. :(
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9138747

Their "crap" is very expensive if bought by the bag at your local nursery!!
lizzieshome52
East Texas, TX

May 25, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9138833

mine don't mess with my plants but they do come and sit under my bird feeders and eat the sunflower seeds and stuff that the birds drop. maybe that is why I don't have problems with them eating my plants,lol.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 26, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9139174

I'm not sure , but the "crap" she's talking about is from neighbor's pets .
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 28, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9141609

Ooops, misunderstood that one.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 28, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9141868

See there , Sweet , you have a clean mind . lol
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

May 28, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9142209

Thanks Digger!:)`
jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9142261

I almost stepped on a few at my land.
I pet them and walked away.
If it were my house with my garden, I would have relocated.
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9160186

I have a rabbit convention going on here, adults running all over the place, they even "follow" me out to the garden, dig under the fence and eat everything I plant with such an innocent look on their face. I have bobcats, owls, hawks, and coyotes - they're falling down on the job! Rabbit stew anyone?
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

June 11, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9160818

Sounds like its time for a visit to the Humane Society to pick up an energetic/playful dog. Our dog is about three years old; she stalks and chases rabbits like a cat (sneaky.) The only time we have a rabbit problem is when the rabbit manages to get inside the garden (which is fenced). But we solve that by letting her in the garden to chase the varmits out - they hightail it outa there right quick like. If only there were such a solution to keeping the birds out of the peach tree...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 12, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9161770

And the squirrels out of the bird feeders , the ants and wasps out of the hummingbird feeders . LOL
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

June 12, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9162701

Yep, those too!
cr0ak
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9165083

My problem is the squirrels getting the apples (the few that the OFM's didn't nail), and the mockers off my fig trees (and BB tomatoes).

I'm soon going to start a crusade to rid my cul de sac of the squirrels. There are way too many of them. Of course, it doesn't help that a neighbor has fed them over the years. I think she stopped, though, since they seem to be hitting my gardens and bird feeders more than usual.
Ladypearl
Iowa Park, TX

June 14, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9165717

In Alabama we had the same problem - the squirrels ate all our apples (and quite a few peaches.) We probably got less than ten apples over the years because they would take them before they were even ripe. So we started one of those "crusades" you mentioned around our place. Our neighbors joined in because the squirrels were getting into their attic causing problems.

Wouldn't it be fantastic (pun intended) if we could communicate to hawks, foxes, snakes and other predators to go after the rats, rabbits, grackles, crows, cowbirds, squirrels and weasels and leave the chickens, quail, and bluebirds alone...
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

June 15, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9165988

And something for fire ants so the baby quail and doves could hatch
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #9167498

Try spreading diatomaceous earth in your yard for the fire ants. You can find it, fairly cheap, at swimming pool stores. I've been using it for about 6 months and it really works better than anything else I've used. Plus, it's organic and doesn't send nasty chemicals into the ground water.
My dogs are my best defense with the squirrels. Too bad the dogs can't climb trees!
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9167585

Here is a link explaining how dt works:
http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America