Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Japanese Maples: Green palmatum that weeps?

Communities > Forums > Japanese Maples
bookmark
Forum: Japanese MaplesReplies: 12, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9089024

Is there a palmatum, hopefully one whose lobes are not too deeply divided, that weeps?
I could swear I ran across one this past week while browsing vendors but now cannot find it for the life of me.
If not truly weeping, at least easily trained to a very wide, multi-layered canopy?
I am Zone 6b, and the site I have in mind receives sun from 9am until about 11am, then a bit of dappled light the rest of the day.
There is ample space for a tall tree but my vision is something I can keep under six feet or so.

Failing that, what might be a good weeping dissectum with not too finely divided leaves?
I'd like a good bright green but don't much care what color it opens or closes the season with.

Note: Davidsan, the Golden Full Moon you cautioned me against buying in '10 is doing well!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9089322

Ryusen is a new weeping palmatum below is the picture of the leaves on mine.

Thumbnail by wha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9089492

That's a really weepy cultivar!!
Wonder if staked and trained carefully it would eventually hold its own as far as horizontal growth?
Because all of the pics I am seeing on an image search are decidedly vertical unless it is left as a ground cover.
I see Davidsan sells them on Pine Bark Maple rootstock with a trunk, too...

I'm not 100% certain that is what I am looking for but it sure looks like something fun to play with- thanks for bringing it to my attention!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9089848

mine is about 3.5' tall and very full horizontally, will attempt to stake to get it taller - branches are really tender so staking will be to new growth only for more vertical height - horizontally it will grow wide and spread as ground cover on its own. leaf shape is very interesting
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9089972

Sorry to be unclear, I meant "hold its own as far as horizontal growth" as in horizontal growth in the air-- branches.

I have another shrub that I had to stake and train every branch like a bonsai until it was around four years old and now it holds that shape on its own.
Just wondering if anyone had ever tried this approach with a Ryusen.
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9092860

OK- how about 'Jiro Shidare'?
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9094419

Ryusen was going to be my suggestion too. But since that's been mentioned, how about Germaine's Gyration? I don't have one myself, but it seems to be well-liked.

I have a Waterfall and an Emerald Lace and both are nice weeping trees but the leaves might be too dissected for you in this case.
GardenSox
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9094421

Oh, and you might want to check out 'Ground Cover' too. I don't know if you can call its shape "weeping" though. It's more like the name implies.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9095211

I have a Germaine's Gyration that I like very well. It does weep and the leaves are really pretty. Mine is about 5 feet tall and will probably stay that way although it has grown like gangbusters horizontally. I think that it will eventually be a pretty big tree so I'd give it lots of room.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9095215

i believe cearbhall was looking for a non-dissectum weeper. still nice tree choices
Cearbhaill
Russell, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9101348

Haha- found it!
It is Davidsans listing for 'Jiro Shidare'-
"One of the two true weeping uprights along with Omureyama..."

So I'm looking at either of those two.

marymyers
Poulsbo, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 16, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9243633

Hi, I have both Jiro Shidare and Omureyama. Omureyama does much better for me, Beautiful weeping tree. I will send pic if you are interested.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9244351

i would be interested in seeing them marymyers - how old is the Omureyama? I have one here that is about 6 years in the ground and is now about 7' tall - i trim it every year as the weeping can look a bit messy.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Japanese Maples Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Japanese maple Ginger_H 6 Sep 13, 2008 11:19 PM
Threadleaf Japanese Maple hczone6 6 Mar 1, 2010 1:36 AM
MY jm's that survived and thrived last winter zone 5b Davidsan 38 Feb 26, 2010 12:05 AM
Largosmom's Japanese Maples largosmom 62 Nov 22, 2007 8:55 PM
Can you tell me what kind this is? nikki_conway 23 Apr 17, 2008 1:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America