-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 19, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9089293

Here we are moved again. We dont need to walk all that way down the road to the Tea Room . My legs get tired.

we came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1248493/#top

Another lovely day yesterday but hubby says maybe a shower later.
Its quite cloudy now.
Lots of weeds starting to show their ugly little heads now. Doesnt take much to get them started.

I planted more seeds yesterday and will save all the rest for spring.

I will get out today and move a few of the brugs down the back for the colder weather. They will enjoy new faces to talk to.

I am still watching a couple of buds on my brugs and now I see more nerines starting to flower. Lots of little green bulb leaves coming through all over the garden.
I hope you all have a great weekend .
Enjoy your gardens and any sunshine you get.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 19, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9089324

Good morning. Jean, what a beatiful picture of Autumn leaves. Here, everything just turns brown and falls of making a mess. It must be great to have such rich colour in the fall as they do overseas. Love the new tea room. That we keep moving is a sure sign of how popular it is.

Louise, enjoy a safe drive. Looks like such beautiful country to drive through. I guess you are looking forward to reaching your destination though.

Colleen, the boys might have lots to tell you about their camping experience. I hope they had good weather for it.

Its half sunny, half cloudy here this morning. A few drops of rain have fallen but nothing to get excited about. The plants will like it, and it means I don't have to water, so I like it too.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. I might escape the house for a while and go do some window shopping.

Karen

The last of the frangipanni before winter, even as the leaves begin to fall from the tree.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9089326

Getting a little rain, but we sure need it.
AT has a sore hoof but I think it is getting better. Saw him running across the pasture. Must have seen a dog.
You all have a great day.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 19, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9089720

Same here Charleen, it's as dry as a chip...we need rain too...
Beautiful scenery Jean, we go up to Mt Macedon thru Gisborne in the Autumn and the colours are lovely..

I did a lot of weeding this morning, not weeds really, just plants that have come up in the wrong place or annuals that are ready to be removed...lots of them though.

The bulbs are starting to come thru...the Crepe Myrtles are starting to show their Autumn colours which are lovely, they still haven't finished flowering...it's been a very good year for them...
Hope the birds are giving you some peace Anthony...
Have a nice evening all
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 20, 2012
2:24 AM

Post #9089779

I've had a good week of afternoons in the garden 'got on top of the weeds'[yeah sure],..,man alive, there are going to be a lot of seed produced bulbs this year,..,and sadly, ive lost a few as well[dems d brakes'],.,.and next year !!-lets not go there!!!Mini daffs are starting to bud up---and i swear, 'i will have an entry in the ''3 miniature daffodils ameteur championship '' this year!!!,.,.,.Dianne, i finally got 'Narcissus Cyclamenius' the most sought after mini in the world[with a baby on the side]..and i added 6 minnow bulbs this year.,,.,.,.That brings my total count of miniatures to :'way too many' + 300 more,.,.-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 20, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9090668

Good morning everyone.
A light fog here this morning. I do love these mild autumn days but the plants want rain.

Anthony, you will need a GPS to find your way around your garden soon.
My little mini daffs are all showing their green through now.

Dianne, Crepe Myrtles are so lovely. I have 2 little ones grown from seed. Looking good but still a bit small to go in the ground yet.

Hello Colleen, Karen and Chrissy.
Moon and Charleen , hope you are enjoying lovely weather.

Louise, pats for the girls. Hope you are enjoying more lovely scenery along the way.

I am going to go look at my latest brug and see if it has opened yet.

I will leave you all something tasty...Chocolate Mud Cake...yumm

Happy gardening, enjoy the weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9090710

Roses for you all...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 20, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9091003

Lovely roses Charleen, they look beautiful...is AT ok?

Anthony, 300+ however will you manage, you will have to start Molly on a gardening course so she can help
after kinder...
Congrats on your purchase, Narcissus Cyclamenius, now you have them also...
Mine are popping thru now too, Jean...the little hoops multiply very quickly don't they!

Sue are you home yet?
Karen, hope that you are well, your frangipani is gorgeous.
Colleen, that was a very nice pic of you and the boys, the are growing very quickly now, they will be past you in a couple of years.

I posted a pic of my pumpkins growing in the bushes a while back, well they are just about ready to put away.
They grew very well and are about the same size...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9091200

Just a quick hello. Went to the Qld. Bromeliad Society show today and overspent. Won't eat for the rest of the week, but will feast my eyes daily on the beauties I brought home. Then we went to Kangaroo Point to get some pics. 80 years ago, my father stood on the cliffs there and took a photo overlooking the coal wharves that were there. Today I stood up there and photographed an almost unrecognizable pic of the same area. The wharves are long gone, the buildings changed, and the Captain Cook bridge now crosses the river from where the old wharves were.

The first pic in the double comparison shot was taken from Kangaroo Point in the early 1930's, some 80 years ago. Just amazing.

A cruise onThe Kookaburra River Queens paddle steamer is on my list of "To Do Before I Die" list.

Looking down river from Kangaroo Point cliffs.

Heritage listed old historic cottages with a background of high rise apartments at Kangaroo Point.

Last, a beautiful tree at Victoria Point, Qld.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9091444

White pumpkins...How neat!!!
Thank you dear for Asking. He is walking more since I cleaned the hoof out.
He is getting better. He does this about once or twice a year. Just like his Mama. i always say my little "donkey prayers " for them.
Congratulations on the new plants. They will help the hugar pains fade away when you look at their gorgeous beauty...
Beautiful pictures...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9091889

Good morning everyone. It is a good morning here because we had some rain last night. Only 3mm but the plants loved it.
I will move a few pots from the veranda so they can get any further rain.

Dianne, great looking pumpkins. I must give them a go here again.

Karen, the river looks lovely in your pics. Nice to see the cottages saved too.

Charleen , the roses look lovely on the Tea Room table, thank you.
Hope all the furry ones are okay.

Hello Teresa, Colleen , Anthony, Chrissy , Moon and Sue.

I am going out to see how all my plants are enjoying their drink of lovely rain.
Its time I got to the irises too. I have some empty spaces where I have either had one die or sold it . I will move plants to fill the spaces and that will give me a couple of rows at one end for trying out vegetables again.
Hubby used to grow vegies years ago when water was cheaper. I have a dripper hose down there now so that will be good for the plants.
I have some heritage tomatoes and pumpkins . I may even try broad beans. Our previous neighbor used to grow lots of beans.
Hopefully the birds etc will leave them alone.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
Hers a treat for morning tea...Date & Carrot Loaf.

Happy gardening
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9091929

They are doing o.k. We have been getting a little rain and that helps grass to grow. At is getting better each day...
Charley loves Carrot Cake...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 21, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9091935

Good morning everyone. Yes Jean we had some rain too. Only enough to freshen everything up though. The boys are home and John is back in Adelaide. While he was here yesterday we got the old trampoline frame up on droppers to make a hanging place for the Epis. They are all out of the SH now and it gives me lots more room. The Ipomea will get the chop and moved when it finishes flowering too. School's back tomorrow, I have all their uniforms and shoes ready. They go into their Winter uniforms now for 2 terms. Tie and everything. They do look good though. I hope everyone is well and you all have a great day. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9092114

Oooh, Karen loves carrot cake too... OK, I'll share it with Charlie :)

Started potting early today and got to my target for the day. Still have some dividing of brom pups to do yet though. Found these two seedlings growing in with my zygocactus cutting. Doesn't grow here, so I don't know if its a weed or a garden plant. Can anyone ID it?

I do hope everyone is having a fine weekend. Yesterday got a bit on the warm side, but so far today its pleasantly cooler.

Karen

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9092116

Um, sorry, I forgot the picture of the mystery seedlings...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 21, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9092169

Just popped in to say Hi.
Haven't been on the forum for a few months as my mother who had Dementia was having a terrible time. She died in March.
She had a long and horrible death.
It has been quite an ordeal for me watching her die. She did not have any other problems and her heart was good as gold it was just the Dementia's progress.

So now I have to get back to the living and I am sure my garden will help me do that.
Hugs
Marlene
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9092197

Marlene, so very sorry to read about your Mother. I hope you will find the peace she has now found. Big hugs.
Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9092342

Welcome back Marlene. so sorry about your mother.
Your garden will help you get over the pain and help you on the way to better things.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 21, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9092350

Marlene so sorry to hear about your Mother. Just know that we're all thinking of you. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 21, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9092398

Marlene, we have missed you, so sorry that your mother had to go that way...you and your family have our sympathy...
As you said, allow your garden help take away the pain.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 22, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9092435

{{{hugs}}} Marleneanne.
so sorry to hear about your Mother.
Losing a parent is hard but some ways are harder than others.
Dementia & alzheimers are so cruel - having worked at an RSA (same as an RSL) I have seen what those conditions can do to a person & their family.
Take care of your self
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 22, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #9092454

Get back into it Marleanne when you feel its time...but please dont punish yourself for what has happened-I Have been through the same with a loved member[and i know what you mean, by dementias process], and I will never fully recover[2 yrs next week]even this morning i had to stop and 'recollect' where i was,and what i was doing,[and it was nothing to do with the 4xxxx beers from last night].,.,..but your life must go on...sit back and think about you and ''your'' future..I know its hard..and 'time' heals-Anthony...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9092578

So very sad to hear of your Mother's struggles and passing Marleneanne. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayers. I can say from experience that a few tears worked into the soil does wonders for you and the garden. Deepest sympathy and best regards along with a big hug.

Moon/Jean

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9092841

Prayers and blessings to you dear Marleneanne.
Hugs and mule nuzzles too...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9093034

My deepest sympathy Marlene, so sorry for your loss, I hope you find your beautiful garden gives you serenity and joy at this sad time.
(((Hugs)))

chrissy

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 22, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9093122

Thank you all for your posts of sympathy for the loss of Mum.

Yes back to my garden...and boy is there a lot of work to be done.
I am starting today with pruning some trees.

I see a few new plants are flowering so I will take some pictures too.

Hugs
Marlene.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 22, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9093178

Good morning everyone. A lovely heavy shower of rain (4mm) during the night and still a few spots out there. We may be lucky and get more later.
The plants are loving a drink of rain water after the urky stuff they get from the tap.

Anthony, congrats on growing that rare bulb. It does look lovely.

Teresa, how is little miss mischief going now. ?
She sounds like a real live wire.

Colleen, you will enjoy having the boys back now but you will still have garden time as they are back at school.

Dianne, , did you get that rain in the night too ?
Your garden is looking particularly lovely now.

Moon, lovely to see your smiling face . enjoy the day.

Charleen, tell Charley to keep his feet off the lawn, he has been eating the flowers again.

Marlene, lots of things to do in your garden will keep you busy while you remember the happy times with your Mum.

Louise, are you there yet...lol
Hope you find everything has grown beautifully while you were away.
Pat the girls for me.

I'm going out to move a couple more pots out to get the rain.
I love seeing how quickly they stand up and drink it in.
Hope some of you are also getting rain if you need it.

Heres you morning tea snack...Banana Muffins

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 22, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9093549

It's pouring rain here, too wet to do anything...I've even got the heater on...
Just had a raspberry muffin before thanks Jean...I put it in the microwave and it was warm...yum
Mick had his hooves trimmed this morning at 8, before this rain set in...
Can't complain we surely need it...
Back later..
Dianne
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 22, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9093586

Good afternoon everyone. We've had a little rain here. Well some of the brugs have had their heads lopped off, now have to wait for some bigger pots to pot them into and they can go into early hibenation til Spring. Still have Epis to pot into hanging pots but every time I go out there to do something I get side tracked and don't get much done. Lots to look at with the bulbs popping their heads up and others have grown so much. Still have to re-pot the Winter Hippeastrum but that may have to wait til later as if I disturb it now it may not flower. What do you all think? Well had better go and do a bit more. Have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 22, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9093717

Nice slow rain has started,and the fire has been burnin since 7pm last night.,.I stocked up on 'goodies' from' Horticultural supplies', this afternoon and will be replacing a de-commisssioned pine planter[rotten after 8 yrs] on Wednesday-,with a 'phase 2 -planter'by Anthony..I think lily and bulb sales will start very soon[my best customer has been bugging me since 1st of April]-No rest!!!!-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 22, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9093735

Go for it , Anthony. Make the money when you can so you can buy all those lovelies you really "must have "..
Heavy rain here today too.
I need it but it could have waited just another 2 days. Maybe my last few flowers will open anyway.
Good old GHA couldn\t care less about the rain. He carries on regardless.

Jean
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 23, 2012
1:38 AM

Post #9093769

had a great day with Sugar at training yesterday, the sun was shining & we were working on a new 'trick'.
The idea is to teach your dog to send away to a point in the distance & then go down on command when they reach it.
Sugar liked the part where she finds a treat on a plastic plate waiting at the end of her run out.
We started fairly close but soon added distance as she became more enthusiastic about the game.
be interesting to see how she goes when we remove the plate with the treat...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 23, 2012
2:58 AM

Post #9093798

Yes, could be very different , Teresa,.,.Shame they dont have a ''old bird'' training school here,..,.,but he would refuse to learn!!!!,..,one thing he has learned now, is that if he grabs the seatbelt[retractor].,.,., when i remove his cage from the car each night, the seatbelt comes out quite a bit, b4 he has to let go,.,.,.and makes a great noise as it ''smacks'' into the door frame, and then the stopper!![good thing breeding season is only 6 months of the year]!!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9094134

But Jean he has small feet for such a huge animal. I got a pretty picture of Charley yesterday, walking toward me. He is so handsome.
Then in background you see his Donkey pasture mates.
Whewwwww!!!! We got a windy, cold day here today. 46 degrees and wind makes it feel even cooler.
The long ears are standing in front of the cedars to stay warmer...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 23, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9094847

Good morning everyone.
Winter is here this morning. My fingers are so cold. Maybe because I was outside getting pics of the latest brug flower to open.
We have had just on half inch of rain over the two days which is lovely.
I am sure all the plants have grown inches overnight.

Charleen, Charley looks so innocent there and he looks like he is heading for a hug and a cookie. Give him one from me.

Moon I hope that you are warm there. I saw all the snow further north. Amazing for spring.

Louise , did you leave the warm to go back to cold weather ?
hope it warms for you all over there.

Teresa, Sugar is a clever girl. She will soon be so good you will forget her little slipups.
Hope work will soon be done on your house . You need it ready for winter.

Dianne, my new brug is a bit plain at the moment. Maybe it will improve.
Are you getting the rain & cold there too. One of hubbys friends lives down around the bay from you and has had some lovely weather while we are cold here.

Anthony, Cocky must enjoy teasing you when he hangs onto the seat belt.
Wait until he learns to drive...lol

Colleen, how are things over your way. Did you get the rain too ?
The boys will like being back at school so they can tell their friends about their trip.

Karen, hope all is well with you. We wish you well and even if you cant pop in much, we think about you.

Chrissy , hope all is well up your way too.

Hello to anyone else looking in. The Tea Room is a good place to be on these cold mornings,
Heres a nice lot of nibbles for morning tea. ...a lovely lot of mixed Cream Cakes...

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

April 23, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9095056

Good Morning everyone. Charleen, Charley looks so huggable and cute.I used to go out riding with my late art school friend from Texas and she had small horses, Arabians as well as thoroughbreds...but the one I used to ride was an old grey mare who was just the sweetest thing...so easy we used to go bareback at times. She had a "ranch" on acreage they bought outside Brisbane..even named it "Chancellorsville"..a little taste of Texas!

Well, the weather has been absolutely superb..clear blue autumn skies but today there is jigh cloud and rain and maybe storms predicted for later today or tomorrow then your freezing weather is going to be here for Thursday, Jean and Anthony. You don't have to share it..I am happy still in singlet type tops and shorts. The plants are happy out there growing..the only good thing about cold weather is that the snakes hopefully hibernate. The postal delivery man told me he saw a snake on our front path..about five feet long..and I probably scared him when I said, Is that all? There's one a few metres long...he crams things in our large letter box and hasn't been back up since. There are two contractors who work on different days so he obviously hasn't told the other one.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 23, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9095193

Good morning. Jean, I'm still lurking. Thank you for the thoughts. Barry has been here so I have to sneak in minutes here and there where I can on the computer, as he hogs it. I'm actually doing very well, just breathless a lot. Have been quite active though and loving it. Did the doctor thing yesterday and all is looking good. Went and had lunch with my darling daughter after. Most enjoyable.

Teresa, I agree with Jean. You need your house fixed before the big cold sets in. Hope that is possible. Barry had a tree fall on his house a few weeks back. They still haven't fixed the roof, just a bit of plastic over it. They sure do take their time. Sugar sounds just like a happy, healthy, mischievious puppy.

Anthony, is Cocky learning to drive? Does he need a permit? Then a P plate? I know they are very smart creatures, but wow! Actually, my lorikeet loves driving. But she embarrasses me when we pull into a garage for petrol. If a good looking young guy pulls up, she wolf whistles him. He looks across and all he sees is a grey haired little old lady trying to hide her red face.

Dianne, hope things are really good there for you. I missed out on the raspberry muffin. Never mind. Maybe Jean will come up with some yummy Hummingbird cake for me :).

Colleen, sounds like you are right back into it with your gardening. Hope you have some lovely weather for it ahead, leading into winter. Not raining here but very overcast and the air is wet. Makes it hard for me to breathe. I think I'll get me a gill transplant so I can breathe both wet and dry air.

Hello Chrissy and Kat. Kat, don't the snakes eat the turkey eggs? These critters just have to be good for something other than scaring the pants off people.

Louise and Moon, hope all is well with you. I guess you are heading towards Summer there now. Lets hope it is not an extreme one this year.

Charleen, love the pics of Charley and Co. He looks almost as if he could talk. In fact, I bet he does, his way. I have a love of all things horsey going back to my childhood. I remember a dreadful day as a child waking up one morning ready to die, things were so terrible. I wandered down the back yard, and there was a miracle! A stray horse had wandered into the yard and was quietly eating whatever it could find. It uplifted me in a way nothing else could have. My absolute favourite horse is and always has been the Akhal Teke. This has got to be the most beautiful horse in the world.

Karen

The proud and magnificent, ancient line of the Akhal Teke horses. Takes my breath away...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 23, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9095308

Hi Everyone, I am back home now and brr it's cold today.

Cathy is set for a little while with Dr and Pain Clinic appointments so I am able to leave her to get on with life which I think will be for the best.

Lots of heavy rain the past two days and temps have dropped a lot.This will see the last of the Autumn leaves fall I think.
I wanted to share this Raspberry Hazelnut dessert I made for the family before I left. The recipe was in the current Australian Gardening Magazine and I couldn't resist having a go. I did use a little "creativity" with extra raspberry layer as we love them and I cut the recipe in half as there were not many to eat it. .It went down well and I will make it again for a garden club 'do' later.

Marlene,My sincere condolences, I know what you have been through as I has a similar experience as you, and it is not fun to farewell any family member under those circumstances. Take heart in the happy memories from earlier times and let the garden help the healing.
Smiles from Sue

Thumbnail by chookie2

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 23, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9095317

oops forgot to ask. Does anyone know what this plant may be? It was part of the clearance we brought for Cathy at the swapmeet, it was unlabelled and the seller didn't know either. No sign of a flower but may have to wait for it to find out. Hoping someone here knows!
Sorry here is a better pic of that dessert - it was yum!
Thanks Sue

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 23, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9095368

Sue, the plant looks like a velthelmia. ( think I have the spelling right ) see pic of mine last season.
I have a couple and they have a tall stem of pink flowers . They can die right away then reshoot, but I have one which just stays green all year.

Karen, that is the most beautiful horse I have ever seen.

Its very cold & wet here, so I am being lazy and playing card games on computer.
Keep warm everyone
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 23, 2012
10:25 PM

Post #9095402

Afternoon everyone,
Chookie I asked the same question last year, my son had one and it had the most glossy leaves all year and a very pretty flower in Spring...just as in Jean's pic...I picked up a good sized one at a plant sale, very pretty plant.
A fine looking animal, Karen...particularly in that coat colour...spectacular...I had no idea that there were any in Australia...you learn something every day...http://akhaltekesaustralia.com.au/index.html

I attended the Anzac Day service at Mum's nursing home this morning, always very moving..the RSL sends veterans over to conduct the service and kids from the local primary school do their bit..I always think of my Great, great uncle Albert...a really nice man with a very chequered war record, bless him...he spent more time in the lock up than in the field I think...most times his pay was docked for not getting back from leave on time...
I know that he lost most of his mates in France and saw many of the big battles himself, there weren't enough
men to make up his squad, so many times he was moved to another company to make up the numbers...any wonder he spent a lot of time in the lock up...thankfully he came home with only a couple of bullet wounds
and I knew him from my childhood...he died when I was in my early 20s...never mentioning the war to anyone...about 10 yrs ago I got his war record and when I read it, I could picture him getting in to all the trouble...insubordination featured quite a bit...I can imagine him not agreeing with the sargeants.
How Albert and those men lived with the memories I'll never know...

It's pouring here, I was supposed to take a delivery of hay, but it's too wet...so I'll get it tomorrow...
A new source Charleen, across the road from where Mick agists...A young man has bought the farm and his first Lucerne/Rye crop is in and he is drumming up local business...the hay is good and the price is fair and he delivers for free...what more could you ask...hope he does well.
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 23, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9095407

Dianne, you are right about memories regarding Anzac Day.

My grandfather enlisted as a young man of 26 in the Dec of 1914 and was killed at Gallipoli 6 months later. He is buried over there and I always think of those young men going off and leaving loved young families , to which a lot would never return.. My gran brought up her two daughters and never remarried, instead spent a lifetime volunteering for the RSL and working for the War Widows Assoc.

I never forget my grandfather and what he ( and all the others) did for this country , even though I never knew him.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 23, 2012
11:21 PM

Post #9095408

Lovely photo Jean...Albert didn't have any children, so we don't know what happened to his picture similar to your grandfather's...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 24, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9095472

My great grandfathers name was Albert Limbrick-Gallipoli veteran- died about 18-19 yrs ago

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9095750

Dianne, ask him if he will bring me a couple bales...☺☺ My hayman is still not baling yet. We drove by his farm and the grass needs to grow much taller. May have to use my Cow hay man again. DRAT!!!!
Too much junk in there but they do eat it. Makes a good nest for my chicken...
Karen, I have never seen such a beautiful horse. May even have the Arabian beat.
I think Arabians have such beautiful heads.
The body on this horse is perfection.. Thank you for showing, love it!!!
Jean and Sue, love the cyber cakes and cookies, no calories.
Anthony, what you got blooming now?
Hugs and mule nuzzles to all...
Charleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9095794

That is a gorgeous horse, Karen. I have always been a fan of the Lipizzans

http://www.lipizzan.org/photogallery/general_lipizzan.html

the Clydesdales

http://animals.desktopnexus.com/wallpaper/322983/

and the Morgans

http://www.jerichocreekfarms.com/stallions/stallion_sundancer.htm

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9095859

Well, DUHHHHHHH!!! I feel so dumb. I do know about (sort of) Lipizzan horses. Very famous Dancing horses...Beautiful. Love the other two too!!!!
different mules at show in Tenn. 2009 None are mine.
In first pictures that man looking at the appaloosa mule lady is my hubby.
There were mini's and they are so cute.
♥♥ Love sharing all our pictures and seeing the links...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9096094

Awww...I love the minis...such sweet shaggy heads.

Years ago we went to the the Royal Lipizzaner's. They were such graceful beautiful animals. My grandpa had a Clydesdale that we rode as kids...He was huge and gentle and could carry all three of my brothers without batting an eye.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9096202

Good morning everyone.
The sun has just come out after a further shower of rain.
We hav ehad just on 80 points which is lovely.
I can hear the weeds growing already but the plants are loving it. I always collect buckets of the rain water for those plants that are under shelter. I like to make sure they all get the good stuff.

Hubby was up at 3.30 am this morning. There was a house on fire down in the town. As he is the Comms Officer for the CFA here, he was called to get someone out to man the tanker.
Apparently the house burnt right down and smoke is still coming up from down there.
Very sad to see anyone lose their home.

Love all the horse pics. I have always loved horses.
Those Lippizaners can be seen over in West Australia, or they used to be , not sure if the place is still there now.
The place was very large, just north of Perth near Norhtam. You would see all the horses in the paddocks .
My Mum went to one of the displays they used to put on , and loved it.

I had better put out some nibbles and move myself as hubby needs to get on here to check a few things.

Hello to all and I hope the day goes well for you all.

Enjoy this yummy Chocolate Cake.

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 24, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9096269

Charleen-Lionheart
Black Spider
Strawberries and Cream
Starburst
Graffiti - These will bloom now. and again in Dec-Jan ..Imported bulbs from America by one of our Nurseries,..,I think they are 'sister companies',..anyway, it works for me !!!!!they sell like hotcakes!!!!!-Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9096339

All right!!! We are a Happy lot!!!!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9096351

Yoohooo...we have landed in NH and all is well. This will be a quick pop-in, as I am buried in settling in. I did very well on the trip until the third day when the accumulated fatigue leveled me. BUT... I am just going slowly here and taking a nap each day in order to get it all done and still be ok.

Marlene - I am so sorry you lost your Mum in that way. She is blessed with peace now, like my own Mum.

Love the shots of pretty horses and those gorgeous Appaloosas.

Jean - your brave grandfather was a very handsome man. So sad that he died so young, but he certainly should make you proud...of your grandmother as well!

Back soon with some farm photos once we get the place shaped up. The last time we walked in FL the temp was 94. Today when we walked the temp was 39. This is more to my liking actually. Take care, everyone. Hello to all!
Louise

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 24, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #9096358

Morning all.
Overcast and pouring rain, still we have had wonderful weather the last few Anzac Days, it was bound to happen...It hasn't stopped the dawn services from having great crowds...

What a sad thing to have your house burn down, Jean...hope there were no injuries.

Anthony, nice that you got to know your great granddad...so many kids these days don't know their grandparents...

Charleen, I have to ask because Australia is a horse mad country, but I have never seen a mule and yet you (the U.S.) obviously breed them, are they working animals?...that Appaloosa mule certainly is flashy, which makes me think that you might have competitions/shows for them...they were used here in the early days but as I said, I have never heard of anyone owning one here...plenty of lovely little donkeys..no mules..
Anyone here seen a mule?

Great footy match today, good old fashioned slog it will be...mud everywhere...love it...
I will save a piece of that cake for this afternoon, Jean.
Post some pics Anthony, so we know what they look like...
Glad that you're home safely Louise...enjoy your day catching up...
Dianne.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

April 24, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9096399

I'm pretty sure my eccentric artist aunt (lol, must be a familial trait there) had a mule when we were kids and I think I saw them at an animal park on the outskirts years ago. Hope everyone's having a great day of remembrance.I remember my father telling me, for Grade Three show and tell, that he ran along the bottoms of the trenches handing out the chewing gum, so I stodd there and said that and felt so...when the other kids told all these fanciful tales from the war. Of course, after he had gone we found out the truth and we had an inkling when the army wanted to interview him before he lost his memory.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9096423

Not my house Dianne. ...Thank goodness. ..One down in the town..
I do feel for anyone losing a house.

Louise, lovely to see you. So glad you arrive d safely. Keep up the rest and you will soon be right.
Been raining here all morning , ever since I said the sun was out.
It was , for about 5 minutes. ...lol

I'm doing some notes on the computer so am not venturing away from the heater. I can look out the window and watch the rain..

Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 24, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9096542

Oh, what a feast for the eyes with all those beautiful horse pics. Charleen, those mini donkeys (if that's what they are) are totally adorable. I would love to have some of those if I had the land.

Jean, that is so sad those people lost their home. A dreadful ordeal to go through. I hope they are fully covered and can start again. I too hope no one was injured in the fire.

I love just about all types of horses. When I first saw a pic of an Akhal Teke, I never every forgot it. They are famous for their coats which have a metallic sheen. They were originally war horses, from Turkmenistan (where ever that is). They are also one of the horses our modern day thoroughbred originated from, as they are known for speed and stamina. Their history goes back 3000 years.

To commemorate Anzac Day and keeping in with the horse theme, I found this pic and wanted to add it...Pic. 1. These animals bravely worked with soldiers through hell, and so many were destroyed at the end of the war for their efforts.

The rest are pics I've saved from the web. Some truly beautiful horses. No. 4 is another Akhal Teke, and 5 is a Silver Dappled Rocky horse.

Karen

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 7:39 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 25, 2012
12:40 AM

Post #9096772

Is this a Rose Of Sharon flower?
I have it flowering in my garden now. I got it as a cutting.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 25, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9096785

love the horse photos.
Karen, that Akhal Teke photo is the best one I have seen to illustrate their amazing metallic sheen.
Another breed that sometimes shows that effect is the Caspian horse.
I fell in love with the tiny Persian horse when I saw a picture of what looked like a perfect miniature thoroughbred in one of my childhood encyclopaedias.
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/horses/caspian/index.htm

Believed extinct they were rediscovered the same year I was born... one day I would love to see one in the flesh but they are still very rare.

I went to the ANZAC Day service at the RSA where I used to work, it was well run - as always & attracted the biggest crowd I have ever seen there.
The weather played a big part in that, it was brilliant sunshine & I had to take my coat off as I was getting too hot.
At Papanui we have always sung God Save the Queen, God Defend NZ & Advance Australia Fair at the start of the service...
I was surprised that I managed to remember most of the words of the Aussie National Anthem, I heard it once or twice in the 5 years I lived there :)
Photos from the day, NZ & Australian flags flying from the RSA flag pole.
My Mum wearing her Mother's service medals.

The last pic is the table set in the Korean tradition, one of our K-Force Veterans brought this idea back from one of his trips to commemorate the end of the Korean War.
I wish I could remember the exact words but it goes along these lines...

The Table cloth is white to symbolise the purity of heart of those who went to war to defend their home land.
The Napkin is black to symbolise the fate of those who did not return.
The glass is upturned to remind us that they will not be able to toast with us tonight,
The chair is empty for they have not returned.
There is a sliver of lemon on the bread plate to remind us of their bitter fate,
The salt on the bread plate symbolises the tears shed by the families they left behind.

The candle & red rose are symbolic too but I can't recall the exact meaning

Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre   Thumbnail by dalfyre

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 25, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #9096820

Good evening everyone. Boy has it turned cold. Just about time to put the electric blanket on the bed. Good to see that you've arrived safely Louise. Looking forward to those lovely pics again. Marlene I don't know what your flower is. I did have a Rose of Sharon but I never saw it flower. They're a type of Hibiscus aren't they? I'm not a horse person but those creatures are beautiful. I do love the mules and donkeys though. A mule is a hybrid [ cross of a horse and a donkey] isn't it? I believe that they are sterile. Not too much going on here it's been too cold to be outside for too long, so I do hope the sun finds us again tomorrow. Hope everyone is well and you've all had a great day. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 25, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9096825

Hibiscus- thanks for the reminder Colleen,[ I had a braindead moment] I have to try to rescue it,.,.,.,.Louise- New Hampshire has a license plate with a wild boar on it?[ that im still trying to collect],.,..Phase 2 pine planter is finished.,.2.4 long x 400 wide x 500 high.,total cost about $40 -and !/2 days work[and associated pain]afterwards...I stripped the existing smaller box, with about 200 bulbs, a mouse nest, and an absolute collapsed mess[8-9 yrs]--amazingly, the soil in it was still top notch,.,Now, im stuffed,.,.,,Oh!!!!-Jean,,,Mr finch came back this morning, with his beautiful wife[who looked a bit worse for wear]-she's a smoky blue colour, and quite tame.,,Construction work on the box had to stop whilst they ate!!!!!!..,Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9096914

Yes Marleneanne, that is Hibiscus syriacus, double flower Rose of Sharon. It is often referred to as Confederate Rose The blooms start out a rich dark pink and fade to white. These do not reseed as readily as the standard ROS do.

Congrats on the planter Anthony. The Finches sound lovely.

Best Regards to you all for Anzac Day

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9097054

Yes, that is a confederate rose, so pretty. i recognized the leaves. have one growing in my garden.
Beautiful bloom.
Mules are coming into the limelight of Equestrians as being able to do anything a horse can do.
The mule can be breed to be used for whatever needs you require.
Good jacks and good mares result in fabulous mules. Yep, they even breed mini horses and mini donkeys. Mules are very strong animal. They don't have as many eating problems as horses but they can still colic.
Even Charley has done it, but the veterinarian said he couldn't pass gas is what was his problem. The wrong feed (hay) can do that. I try to be very careful in what hay I get for my longears, I want horse quality hay, not Cow hay. There is a difference. I never realized til I got my first longears...
I do have a link for you all.
http://www.caironet.com/MULE.htm
I have been to this Mule days and it has some great mules in it.
the most famous shows are in Tenn. Columbia Mule show and Shelbyville Great Celebration.
Love going to mule shows. There is a great diversity of animals and Guess what??? I love them all.
There are horses in the shows too. You can't have a show without these beautiful creatures.
Mules are Sterile but the males still have to be nuertered for they are still males and can be rather dangerous is left intact. When my little donkey male was born after he got 6 mo. old I had him nuertered, it makes them so much better, I have not regretted it.
I am so happy you all want to know about mules and I would almost bet somewhere down there, there is a mule.
Love you all and Charley loves you too.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 25, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9097605

Good morning everyone. Not as freezing cold this morning but once the wind comes back it will be colder. More showers all day yesterday and overnight.
The garden is looking much fresher now.
Shopping day today so as usual it will be an early start.
I am due for a mammogram at the mobile bus in Hamilton this morning so this time its me thats getting us to leave in plenty of time.

Hello Teresa, thats a lovely tradition with the table.

Charleen, I did see a mule many years ago . Quite a handsome fellow. There are some here over here. Probably from farm usuage back in the early days.

Anthony, say hello to Mr Finch & family.
We also have a little cutie of a bird that is so quiet it nearly lands on you. They have been here for years and seem to stay around the one side of the place where there are more places to hide from the larger birds.
They are a small grey & white Flycatcher. Not sure of the exact name. Not as bouncy as the Willie Wagtail and much friendlier .

Hello Colleen, Moon, Sue Karen, Kat and Marlene.
Better put out some nibbles and get on with the banking before we leave. I do it all online . So much easier .

Heres a very tasty treat for you all. ,,,Chocolate Cream Cake..

Dont let Charley near it , Charleen,
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 25, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9097720

Morning all. Who turned off the heater? So cold this morning.

Marlene, I believe that is the beautiful Rose of Sharon, yes. Does it turn white as it ages? The one I saw does. I think they are a hibiscus, aren't they? It's lovely and you are so lucky to have one growing. They wont grow here, sadly.

Teresa, I so love the symbolism in the table setting. I'd never heard that before. Wonderful. That Caspian horse is gorgeous and her colour is so rich and magnificent. Apparently the reason the Akhal Teke horses hairs are hollow, unlike most horses, and it is this that gives them their famous sheen. I do have better pics to show the sheen though. I love the black horses with the gold sheen that changes and moves as the horse moves.

Charleen, we used to have a donkey in the area and at night his call would wake up the neighbourhood for many miles around. He's not there anymore, but every time we go driving I see them in more rural areas, and they are always good to see. I personally however have no personal donkey or mule friends. No one I know has any. Sometimes they show them at shows but I rarely get to a show these days. I love the smells of the country section at a show. Must have a bit of cowboy blood in me somewhere. The look on Charley in that pic almost demands a hug and nuzzle, doesn't it.

Hello Jean. Thanks for the cake. And hi to anyone else who pops in.

Anthony, when Barry misses his kookaburras coming, I keep reminding him, they have kookaburra business to attend to. Seems your little finch had finch business to attend to. So glad he is back with his better half. Life is as it should be.

Colleen, hope the day warms up for you as it progresses. This is the coldest night I've experienced this year. Will be bringing out the winter doona if this keeps up.

Louise, I hope you are settling in after your long drive and feeling comfortable again.

I've been trying to find out what these plants are and finally have the answer. The first is Dracaena surculosa, Gold Dust. And the second is Dracaena surculosa, Punctulata "Sierra Leone". These are very old plants and apparently not sold in nurseries anymore. That's just hearsay as I don't know from personal experience. These two plants are over 20years old and left overs from my indoor plant addiction. Gold Dust is barely 50cm tall, but the Punctulata is about 5 and a half feet tall at its tallest cane. Yes, they grow canes rather than branches. Am curious if anyone else has either or both of these growing? BTW, the spotting on the green plant is normal.

Karen

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9097722

Too Late, He ate it!!! One piece isn't enough for a mule...;-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 25, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9098102

Teresa, thought you might be interested in this site, it tells more of their story...just have a look at what one particular horse society did,
How could they possibly be called a society...butchers more like it.
http://www.freshstartfarm.com/id19.html

Charleen thanks for the info, Charley has his own fan club, here as well as in the US.
Marlene, that Rose of Sharon is very beautiful...
Glad to see the finch is ok, Anthony...

Hi to everyone else...Jean, I hope the xray went smoothly...and you had a nice day.
Dianne
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 26, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #9098161

Caspians in Iran have had it hard since the revolution.
The studs developed till then were considered elitist & dispersed, the wild herds were considered as vermin & are still being driven through mine fields.
Oh for a time machine to go back to the early days & rescue them.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9098428

They are so Beautiful.
I love Charley's Fan club, it is international.
We love you all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 26, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9098968

Good morning everyone.
Showers for most of the day yesterday, but quite mild and no wind. It was pleasant to walk around shopping as long as one stayed under shelter.
The mobile breastscreen bus is always parked right over at the back of one of the car parks . As we had earlier already parked in our usual car park, I said I would walk across to the other for the breast screen. ( only a 6-7 minute walk)
I had only gone half a block when the rain started.. Not heavy but enough to dampen you a bit. I kept going and it did ease off.
Coming out of the bus, the rain had gone, but halfway back , down it came again.
I think there was some conspiracy going on to catch me both ways. ...lol

Sitting in the warm cafe having a nice lunch warmed me and dried me off...

No orphans found. I just came home with more potting mix and snail pellets. The slugs are waking up ...ugh

Charleen, you know we all love Charley & friends.
He gets along so well with Cocky, Tilly, Copper , Sugar and all the rest of our Tea Room pets.

I am going to run over to Casterton today as I did forget to get my favorite breakfast bares.
Hubby will be gone all day. He has a meeting & lunch over in Penola for the CFA.
I dont go as it gets boring listening to speeches etc.

I can play here all day . I may shout myself lunch in the bakery at Casterton too.

Misty rain here again , so nothing much will be done outside.
I am watching the rosellas out the window at the moment. They do like their bath even in the cold.

Hello Teresa, Colleen, Dianne, Anthony, Karen and Sue.

Louise, glad you arrived safely and we look forward to seeing pics of the garden.

Keep warm and try some of this yummy...Chocolate Mud Cake... ( thats if I dont eat it all myself ... mmmmm)
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

April 26, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9099210

Good Morning everyone, Thank you Jean and Dianne, I have sent the pics of the Veltheimia to Cathy so she can plan for the flowering! LOL

Cool and cloudy here today, I planted a 'Wheeny' Grapefuit yesterday by the new pond and two camellias out front, one was "Rose Anne" and the other "Hiryu", I am planting them along my front fence area as hedging, as I took the old broken log fence down as it is too long and expensive to re fence. I have also planted two Hazelnuts along there as hedge too, One side of the gate will be productive food plants and the other side soul food.(flowering hedge). It faces east & has half shade, so am choosing shade lovers mostly or forest dwellers.I will add two rhododendron there too and am planning a rhododenron walk from the gate around the driveway.
And for you Brug lovers my one and only Brug is now about 15cm (6 inches) tall! LOL
Ahh plans don't you love them.
Some of the plants we brought for Cathy at the swapmeet, all now potted, planted and liking it.

Thumbnail by chookie2

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 26, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9099460

Looks like one of the permanent sights at my place !!!!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 26, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9099536

Wheeny is a lovely grapefruit, Sue...as long as you don't take blood pressure tablets..sometimes it reacts with them...
This garden of yours is going to be pretty special...the Hazelnut trees will look lovely..
I don't know "Rose Ann" but I do know "Hiryu"...good choice very tough.
The tiny Brugmansia will be 6ft tall this time next year...you may need to give it a bit of protection over winter though, just in case.
Cathy is a very lucky girl, she will have a lovely garden too..
Don't forget the pics...

The sun is out here, but it's cool...I've been looking for a snail that was intent on eating my tiny seedlings in my little S/H...all these half eaten babies,,,grrr...
I found him and he won't be eating any more of them...
Back later
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9100184

Have you seen "Field of Dreams"?????
Well, if you plant that Brug it will grow...
You will enjoy it so much.
Beautiful day here.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 27, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9100357

Good morning everyone. Foggy here this morning. Yesterday was dry but cool. I had to go out to the paddock garden this morning and there are those fine spider webs all over the place. Look quite pretty when the sun gets on them later.

I did nothing outside yesterday so will have to get out there today. I have some small plants to put out in the garden. Now the ground is nice and damp from the rain, they should do well.

Several buddleas & Lilly Pillys.
My salvias are all standing tall after the rain too. I will be chopping the old Geraldton Wax plants out and replacing them with some of the buddleas. They will do better and look prettier .

Hello Sue. You are going to have a food forest there soon with all the lovely trees.

Dianne, I like your pretty yellow flowers.

Charleen, where is Charley ? He wasnt out the back looking for cake this morning.
I wonder if he wandered down the road to look for some nice hay.

Hello Chrissy, Teresa , Karen Anthony and Colleen.

Louise . hugs for the darling girls.

I had better get out and help hubby. There is a water leak somewhere along the pipe.
We are all on a private line here and have to fix leaks ourselves. Its getting be a bit much as we are all around the same age bracket and beyond digging up pipes in hard ground.

Hopefully it will be a small one and easy to get at.

I'll leave you this ...Hunningbird Cake ...
Karen, don teat it all ...

Enjoy your day and keep warm
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 27, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9100363

Morning all,
It's going to be a lovely day here too, Charleen...
Jean, I can hear you coming so, I'll get the cups out...
Colleen, get the kettle on...
Everyone else, Just sit so we can have a chat and a cuppa...

I'm off to Bunnings this morning, I need a few things...and this afternoon it will be another clean up the garden
day, things grow so quickly in Autumn.
Are you still selling your bulbs, Anthony?..hope you have a good day...
Enjoy the sun everyone.
Dianne.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 27, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9100411

Hi evryone. So wet here. Luckily I found ou t the open garden is next weekend so no trampassing around in the rain this weekend.

Jean, Hummingbird Cake has got to be the most delicious cake in the world, with its pineapple and coconut flavours, even better than carrot cake. But I don't see it around very often, sadly. Well, maybe that's a good thing really or I'd be eating it daily.

I've got some books out from the library, so I know how I'll be spending my wet weekend. Barry will be down later. The TV remote gave up the ghost yesterday, and the moniter screen is playing up too. If I suddenly disappear, it will most probably because the screen died.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 27, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9100432

Good morning everyone. No rain here, pretty cool no wind and the sun is shining. Another beautiful Autumn day. Dianne I think that jean slipped in the backdoor and beat me to put the kettle on. Thanks Jean. Did a bit of cleaning of my SH pond yesterday and repotted a few more brom that had out-grown their little pots. I was looking at the broms that I've put up on the Reo and I think I need to do that differently. Will have to have a think about that. No new brugs flowering at the moment. I think they missed the warm boat again so will just cut them all back and put into bigger pots and wait for Spring. Well had better get dressed and see what I'm going to do for the day. Hope everyone is well and all have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #9100559

Yes, Jean, you are learning Charley fast. We have to order him a couple more bales. In the morning.
Charley wanted me to show you these roses. All on one Bush and they smell so good. Have a great weekend Folks...

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 27, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9100700

Just sold 5 then ,Dianne,.,.,.and recieved a call from ''the big island'' about some more.,,.,but its horribly[violently] windy and showery.,..,.BLUES OVER FREO-Dianne!!!!!!!!,.,. Have a fine day all!!-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 28, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9101497

Good morning everyone..
The sun is out here this morning after showers during the night. I am off out to finish the repotting I started yesterday.
I wan tot get it all done so I can concentrate on getting all my plants ready for the Trash & Treasure next weekend.
Lots to do as I still have to make all the labels.
I usually print out small pics of the flowers for each plant then put them on skewers so I can stick them in all the pots.
Makes it more colorful when some plants are not in flower.
People like to see what they look like.

Charleen, lovely roses. I bet Charley would love to taste them.

Colleen, where do you fit the flowers in with all your pretty broms ?

Dianne, did you get any bargains at Bunnings ?

Anthony, good luck in selling lots more bulbs.

Karen , lovely to see feeling better and popping for a cuppa.

Hello to all looking in.
I am off to put out some cakes then go out and enjoy the sun while its here.
Try this ...Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake ..

Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 28, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9101839

that cheesecake looks yummy!
Had a lovely morning here, coolish at 6am when I was out with the dogs...
Sugar had a lovely time playing fetch in the dark.
By the time we were at training the sun was singing, birds were shining & Copper was acting like a teenager.
Sugar was her usual full on self so I had my hands full.
After club was done for the day I stayed on & let the dogs have a good run, couldn't believe how energetic Copper was, he was even chasing Sugar around - she thought it was Xmas:)
The two of them are conked out now, just hope Copper isn't sore later.
Weather is changing as predicted, amazing they get it right some days.
I made sure to vacuum before coming online, I have a funny feeling that I may end up having a nanna nap at my keyboard & at least the house looks half way decent first.
Last Sunday I was going to do heaps of things but fell asleep & didn't get time.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 28, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9101887

A nap sounds good, this arvo... My secretary[me] has been trying to decipher 'quickly written' verbal orders[in my little book] from the lily show-and then phone the named person and see if it all marries up.,.,''so far-so good''

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 28, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9101970

Glad to see that your bulbs are selling well, Anthony...you can have a nap after the footy..
The dogs are keeping you fit too, Teresa..
Didn't get to Bunnings, Jean...the phone rang and that was the end of that, we'll go over during the week...
Mitre 10 is only 10 mins away but I love Bunnings.
Did you see the kit homes that they are selling advertised on TV...we had a look at them last time we went...good designs.
I have some little plants to feed up, so I'll be back later.
Dianne
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 28, 2012
10:09 PM

Post #9102041

Well, Barry fixed the monitor - just went out and bought a new one. How the other half lives!
I'm grateful and glad to be back in action again.

Charleen, Charley must have a magic touch - that rose bush is gorgeous.

Went to the markets this morning. Only thing I saw was a succulent, but figured I had enough
succulents and left it there. Went into the mall and found a very specific blanket I'd been looking for.
So had to get it and am pleased as I was starting to think I'd never get one.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend. Yesterday was so very wet. Today we passed
a bad accident on the road with police blocking the road and ambulance in attendance.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 29, 2012
2:15 AM

Post #9102120

I picked Sydney -Dianne,..,[on my tipping forms],you beauty
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 29, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9102832

My Chinese Hat plant is in flower. I love the flower but the plant is straggly even with heavy pruning.

"Holmskioldia sanguinea is native to the Himalayan lowlands and is an erect scandent (climbing) shrub that bears narrowly trumpet-shaped flowers with crimson petals and orange-red calyces from summer to autumn."

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 29, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9102843

Good morning everyone. Looks like another lovely day ahead. Have lots to do. Have been in the SH again moving plants around and cleaning and repotting. The boys had a great day playing in the dirt with their trucks and cars and dinosaurs and helping me if I asked them. They brought some of the palm stumps around to put in the SH for me. One was even straightening out coat hangers for me so that I could put them onto pots and hang them. It was a lovely day and at the end we went and bought fish and chips and they had a play at the lake while we were waiting. I hope everyone has a great day and I'll pop back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 29, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9102857

Good morning everyone. Very nippy here this morning. Yesterday was an odd day, being freezing cold in the morning then I was out after lunch in the sun without a jumper.

I finally potted up all the brug teenagers and now just have to wait on the little kids to grow a bit more before I do them too.
I also put out another buddlea and a very pretty red abutilon in the front.
I have some Himalayan abutilons to move around later as they grow. ( agapetes serpens)
Very unusual abutilons as they grow a large root system .

Hello Anthony, my 'secretary' has the same problem with trying to read something I scribbled in a hurry.
Lots of daffies coming through now.

Karen, glad you are back in action with your monitor. Be nice if we could fix everything like that wouldnt it ?
Love that 'Chinese Hat '.

Dianne, I hope you are warmer than I am. I like Bunnings too , but the only one avaiable is in Mt Gambier...Its not one of the best I have been in.
I used to go to a large one in Melbourne along the Nepean Hwy. Maybe Cheltenham. Lots of cheap plants , but back then I had nowhere to put them.

Teresa, I had to laugh at the picture of you chasing around after 2 very exhuberant dogs. Nice to see that Copper is still young at heart.

Hello Colleen, Chrissy, Sue and anyone else popping in

Charleen and Moon , hope you are getting lovely warm weather now.
Your gardens will be looking lovely.

Huga for Charley, cookies on the table out the back.

Louise. How are you doing there ?
Not overdoing the gardening I hope ?
You and Hank should be sitting back min those lovely chairs watching the girls play. Keepw ell.

I am not going outside just yet as it is quite cold but I will make a move soon and maybe sit in the greenhouse sorting seeds, when the sun gets out from behind the clouds.

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend.

heres something nice for morning tea...Cinnamon Rolls
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 29, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9102944

Charley says "all cookies are loved" they got their hay this weekend so they have their noses bured in it. They think they are in Longear heaven.
Beautiful pictures girls.
Got warm today 84 degrees, may have been warmer but I thought this was enough. Plants are trying to grow, seems like I put mulch down and my chickens scratch it up so in the morning, I'll put more down and carefully lay a few rocks around it...
Hugs and nuzzles to you all...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 29, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9103303

Good luck with the mulch and your chickens, Charleen...too many interesting things underneath..lol

Jean, when that Agapetes flowers would you post a pic?
That Chinese hat is pretty Karen..I've never seen one before...

Anthony, I had Sydney but I chose Freo over the Saints...

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 29, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9103395

Jean - I don't chase the dogs...
I know I'd never catch them ;)
My trick is to stand still & let them do all the running & call them back every so often for a treat.

Copper used to be a devil for running off with socks & undies if he found them, I learned then not to chase but to praise him & offer a treat to swap for whatever he had.
Still working on that with Sugar but she is much better than she was.
I have an ulterior motive for not wanting her to stop picking up all kinds of things as in Test C the retrieve article can be metal, plastic, wood, fabric... anything safe for a dog to pick up the judge can supply.
And Sugar is my first dog that is happy to hold a metal object - need to keep her doing it for that day we reach the top test.
Nothing like being ambitious :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 30, 2012

Post #9104364

Good morning everyone.
Another cold autumn morning but the sun is shining. I will warm myself up later by doing some trimming along the paths.

Teresa, it sounds like you could have really good obedience dog in Sugar.

Charleen, how is your dear little Kaitlin going ?
I see Charley cleaned up all the cookies.
Hope you are having lovely weather there now.

Dianne, it will be a while before that pretty plant flowers as the ones I bought are quite small.
A lot smaller than any plants I would send through the post.
I bought them along with some buddleas and lost all because of smallness and poor packaging,so had to ask for a replacement. .
So far so good with most of the second lot.

Hello Anthony, I have bulbs popping up everywhere now and the little daffies are getting bigger.
I have to cover them with mesh because of Mrs Blackbird.
I really should say Mr Blackbird because you dont see the wives out much.
They are much shyer than the cheeky males who line up with the magpies for a feed .

Hello to everyone else.
I am going to venture outside and see what all the plants are doing.

Enjoy this ..Lamington Cake..

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 30, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9104599

Good morning world. Its a beautiful morning, so far. Not too cool, and nice to see the sun shinging too.

My yard is looking so messy with the debris from leaves, sticks, and small branches after the rain, and
the wind is adding to the mess every minute. My pot plants look like rubbish bins with dead sticks
poking out everywhere. Oh well, guess the winds that brought it in will eventually also blow it away.

The days seem to be passing very quickly lately. We went for a short drive yesterday, and Barry caught
this duck in action. He wouldn't flap for me though.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 30, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9104971

Great pics Karen...love them all...
Hope the junk blows away as quickly as it blew in...
It was 20c here this afternoon, great clean up day, which I did a bit of...
it looks much neater now.
Hope everyone has enjoyed their day.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 1, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9105030

Karen, I'll send cocky over to you for a 'couple of years visit'- guarenteed youll get pics of flapping, and a headache, and your leg talked off!!!

Thumbnail by g_whizz

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 1, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9105043

Happy May Day to everyone on 1st of May. No Maypole to dance around but I don't want a husband anyway ! LOL
Dianne,I do take blood pressure tabs but it is mainly for marmalade so won't affect me too much. The Brug is planted between two walls so is pretty well protected I will move it if it doesn't grow well there.

Colleeen love that image looks like a Hobbit home.
Yes Jean my food forest is coming along nicely. Today I planted a Pistachio, I put water in the smaller of the ponds yesterday and planted some ferns around it so now I feel like my water feature might actually happen.Will put some water-chestnut in there too when I can get some.
This grotto is my dream garden feature...dream on huh?

For the past two days I have had plumbers and electricians here full time, finally have my pump connected to the bore,(yippee now I can water all I like whenever it is needed) power to the shed and garage,external powerpoints, new taps in Bathroom and outside for waterfall, and studio switches fixed.Only downside is that plumber noticed my hot water service leaking and says it needs replacing ...sigh...always something.

Thumbnail by chookie2

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9105463

Now Anthony, you know you would miss Cocky so much...
Beautiful waterfall, I love water features and ponds. got my goldfish in a small (not too small) pot while I am patching their pond. It has a crack in it on both sides but hopefully it is fixed. Now I need rain.
Didn't get a picture of Kaitlin but got one of his Mom Abigail and Jake this morning. they were getting a drink while I was watering the plants. I moved them all closer together so I don't have to carry the hose thru one door and then drag it back and go thru other gate. Getting too old to be dragging hoses everywhere. All the while I'm watering, dogs and chickens running around enjoying themselves...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 1, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9106072

Good morning everyone.
Its cold outside but I am usually nice & warm after my hot shower each morning. This morning it was a cold shower. Our hot water service has died..
It has been playing up for a few weeks with the temps going up & down.
Our local electrician replaced the element but the whole thing has died and is leaking badly.
Luckily he was able to find us a smaller one that is in excellent condition.
Hopefully this morning will see the replacement done and I can have my hot water again.
We dont know why the previous owners had such a large hot water service as there were only two of them.
The replacement is smaller and more suitable for us, as hot water is only needed for showers & dish washing.
It may save us a bit on electricity now too.

Hope you get all your work done too, Sue.

Anthony, you would never let Cocky go away, you would miss him too much.

I had a nice surprise yesterday. The little blue wrens are back.
After the b** neighbors cat was killing birds, we didnt see any wrens left ,but it looks like they are returning now.
There was also a new little bird which I must look up in the bird book.
Looks just like a sparrow but longer tail and grey/olive green in color. Very quiet little fellow . He sat on the bird bath watching me yesterday.

Hello Dianne, Colleen , Karen, Teresa and Moon.

Charleen, I love your little chooks, . Can t keep any here as they end up as fox food.

Louise, how are things with you ?
Hope the girls are enjoying the larger space.

Better get moving as we have a trailer load of cardboard & papers etc. to take to the tip.

A nice lot of rain again yesterday but I hope it fines up for the trash & treasure on Sunday.

Keep warm & dry
Here your nibbles for morning tea...nice warm Apple Cake..

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 1, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9106146

Jean it seems we both have hot water troubles, maybe the time of year for them to go. My plumber has talked me into replacing my electric one with gas. If you change to a smaller one there is a Govt rebate available so maybe worth checking into for you.
Here is the website for the brochures or get them from your water company.
http://www.water.vic.gov.au/saving/home/watersmart

Charleen we have a lot in common, I love my hens too, and water features in the garden. Already with the small pool full I have a Wagtail using it for a bathing and feeding station , he is getting a few grasshoppers off it and some aphids I think. I need to find a nice branch to lean out over the water so the birds can safely bathe. The smaller pond is for frogs and wildlife and bigger one for my fish and plants..I have had to divide it in two because my liner wasn't big enough for the hole ! LOL

This is the pond being dug by the plumber---love that digger!

Thumbnail by chookie2

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9106225

I will take a picture of my ponds, I don't want to bore you all.
I would love that Digger too. The ponds I have in the ground need resurfacing and I just got to do it. Getting too old to be digging but I can still sling a little concrete. Just got to do it in smaller batches...
It is very easy to spoil chickens, they love it too...
I found a toad when I was watering my plants. He looked so disgusted. I know he is same one I had in a flowerpot. I put the pot in a big container of water, I saw the soil moving, Durn it was a toad. He jumped into the little container of water and I rescued it out. Sure didn't want my hen to see it. She would have Grabbed it and run...
got to be on our toes with chickens about!!!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 1, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9106412

Anything to do with our homes and gardens, is never boring, Charleen, so post away..
Besides I love hearing about chooks and all other animal and toad adventures...

Things are happening at your place now Sue, just imagine how lovely it will all look in 12 months.

Jean, I didn't know about the rebate Sue mentioned until about a month ago, when I heard it on the radio and they were discussing the fact that the government doesn't promote these savings, so most of us go ahead and pay full price...typical...hope that you can make a saving there.

Pouring rain here...my Telstra modem has arrived and I'm supposed to switch over on Friday...so if I'm off the forum for a couple of days, you will know why...I've always been with the same company since I bought my first computer in 2005...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 2, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9106745

Hi everyone. Great excitement here today. My first Great-grand child has arrived. Kaiden Joseph was born at 1.01pm weighing 6lb 13ozs. All's well, Mum and Dad ecstatic. So is Gran-Nanny. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9106848

Congratulations Colleen. What a fine May Day gift that one is.

Hope everyone is well and reasonably happy.

I have Daylilies popping out all over.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 2, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #9106867

Congratulations Colleen, what a fine mop of hair, Kaiden Joseph has...
How does it feel to be a great grandmother...lol

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9106871

My goodness Dianne...you are a real nightowl ...I would say good morning...but should say good evening. grin

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9106974

Colleen, almost had the baby on Mother's Day, if she had waited. Beautiful baby.. OH!!!He is so cute!!!!
Whatever time of day, we love hearing from our friends...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 2, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9107527

Good morning everyone.
Still rain showers here. Its lovely to see the ground soaking it up and the plants all showing pretty bright green dresses.
The weeds are growing faster as usual.
I have carpets of self seeded wallflowers & nasturtiums everywhere. Have to keep on them or they will be staging a takeover bid for the garden.
We have our hot water all fixed and its so lovely to be back to real hot water instead of lukewarm.

Colleen, Congratulations on becoming a gt grandma. Very cute baby pic.

Dianne, I should have popped in to see you last night. I was up later than usual as hubby had to go out to a meeting which didnt finish until late.

Moon . hello . What is going on in your garden now ?

Charleen, you should not have shown Abigail the Tea Room. I saw little chook tracks around the door this morning.
I think they are coming for Charleys cookies. ...lol

Hello Teresa, hope things are progressing with your repairs before winter.
Pat those two spotties for me.

Hello Karen, hope you are coming along so much better now and takings things easy.

Sue, you will have your hands full with all your garden when its done.
I'm sure the birds will love your ponds.

Anthony, how are things down in the lilium yard ?
Have you been planning more areas for them or are you going to get more dahlias ?

Hello Louise, hope all is well over your way. Hugs for the girls.

I am going to enjoy another cuppa. Its quite chilly here and I wont be going outside until the sun comes out.

Keep warm and well
Enjoy this ...Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 2, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9107653

Good morning. Lovely and sunny here, but cloulds are expected, so they say. Somewhere, anyway.

Anthony, Cocky would love it here with all the wild birds visiting. The neighbours might object to the noise
though. They aren't real bird lovers next door. Me, I love to wake up to the cacophony of the many noisey
birds in our area.

Colleen, that home is so unusual. I love it. Are there any details about it at all? Congratulations and a big
warm welcome to Kaiden Joseph.

Sue, it would be so great to have a very special water feature like that. I'd love a cave with water running
through part of it. Somewhere dry to sit and contemplate in it. Plants growing up, hanging down, every
which way. Heaven! Hope the plumbers and electricians are finished now, the hot water fixed, and may
peace rule.

Oh, Jean, not your hot water too? So glad it is fixed for you. Speaking of nasturtiums, I have a bunch of
seedlings that fell from the barrow, and are now sprouting in the yard itself. Barry keeps running the mower
over them but they keep coming back. I rather like them, especially since it is so hard to get anything to
grow in the ground, but the long grasses grow between them so the mower takes the lot.

Moon, I used to be a day lily addict, and had some real beauties here, but the extra long drought killed them off.
Yours are lovely.

Charleen, between Charley and the chooks, life is never dull there. I'd love some egg layers, but fear I
wouldn't be able to look after them properly anymore.

Hello Di, Louise, and everyone else.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 2, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9108047

Water, water everywhere, here...I just went to feed Mick and my gum boots kept sinking in the sandy soil...
he hadn't moved out of his shed, so he was bone dry...big sook...
It hasn't stopped since early this morning and it rained most of yesterday as well...so our tank is full and the garden has had a good soak...that's enough now thank you, Huey...

Just missed you Moon, you know how it is, some nights you just can't sleep...
How is the g,grandmother today...still thrilled to bits I bet.

I will have a bit of that cake, thanks Jean and a cuppa...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 3, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #9108097

''The Rains''- I knocked off at 10-30,.,.,.,.Jean, its all sell here/ and planting existing duplicate bulbs of lilies,.!st[mini] daffodil out today,-Nylon!!!! and many others following ,..There is just so much stuff here, when you take a good look,.,.,.A growers paradise.,.,.,,and still many in the making!!!!!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 3, 2012
3:15 AM

Post #9108115

getting very chilly here in the mornings, glad I know where to get discount priced merino ;)

Colleen - congrats on the Great Grand Baby, very cute little one

Moon - those are lovely day lilies, pretty colours.

Sugar just did something new...
she was after hubby's hat which is up on top of a stack of books & magazines on the dining table.
One moment she was stretching to reach it - next she had taken a vertical leap & landed on the table.
She grabbed the hat & leapt down again.
Gobsmacked is the word that comes to mind...

Take care everyone, hope the weather treats you kindly :)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9108181

Thanks. My MIL decided to get rid of her many years in the making collection of daylilies. Hubby came home one day with two large trash bags filled with them...no names, no idea of color...it is like a lottery...who opens today and what color is it gonna be?...grin

Sounds like Miss Sugar is springloaded...grin. We had a half German shepherd/half Border Collie, Abbey, who loved sitting on top of the car...certainly surprised the door to door folks...

We had a major rain Wednesday evening...7 inches of rain in about 4 hours...I can hear the weeds laughing and growing...grin

Hope you all have a lovely day.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9108510

I'm still waiting for Rain. Send it on up Girls. We are ready.
Love the day lilies, Beautiful day here...
Yep, Abigail is sneaky like that. she has to be fast or Charley will get her. ☺

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9108981

Hello back to everyone! We're having rain here for a couple days too. Blessed, Blessed Heavenly Watercan! We got our walk in around noon between raindrops. I took lots of shots of the various bark of oak, beech, maple, white pine and birch trees up close to help us in painting landscapes of the natural beauty around us here. We have to wait a bit for the temps to warm up some since our makeshift art area on our back screened porch.

Moon, those are gorgeous daylilies. Are they blooming now? I've wanted to plant some down in Florida, but I thought we'd not be there when they bloom.

Teresa, love Sugar's antics! Adorable!

Karen, what a great idea about the cave and water feature in it. One of my favorite feelings is standing on the porch - nice and dry and warm - while the rain is pouring hard just a foot away. I love rain! We have several caves here, but I'd have to share them with bears.

Jean, I'm quite envious of your carpets of self-sewn nasturtiums. I brought some seeds up with me to get some going here. My friend here has terrific luck with the plants getting really big. Mine in Florida were very wimpy.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9109015

Hi Louise. Are ya about settled in now? I am sure the weather is quite different than what you left behind...grin.

Yes, those daylilies are in bloom now...so are the gladiolas and asters( started over a month ago)...but then we are in the high 80's already, so expect the whole garden to be a bit early.

This message was edited May 3, 2012 3:55 PM

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 3, 2012

Post #9109092

Good morning everyone.
Still showery here as was yesterday. Its lovely for the garden but I have to watch the weeds happily growing and laughing at me .
I will get at them soon, they had better start running.
Lots of bulb leaves coming through. Marvellous how they can push up through the very hard clay we have here.
I will be putting all the plants on the trailer today ( hopefully not in the rain )

Moon , I have a dayliliy out here. Poor confused thing.
Most of mine die back after flowering and look a real urky mess through winter. They are already starting to get new growth this year.
Perhaps the long dry made them think it is summer again.
The yellow on that is out seems to want to have a flower most of the year,
Its not one of the larger ones, just a nice small one with lots of flowers on each stem.

Teresa, you will have to watch that girl now with her spring loaded legs. She will be wanting to jump on everything for fun now.

Charleen, I cant send you my rain as I need it but sounds like Dianne can spare some for you.
Didnt see Charley this morning, just a whisk of a tail going around the corner.

Dianne, your garden will be loving the rain, but its no fun getting around in the mud.

Colleen, hope all is well with you there. You havent been taken over by triffid broms yet ?
I can see them all marching up the road looking for even more space...lol

Anthony, good luck with your selling and planting out. I hope the weather is kind to you .

Louise. lovely to see your smiling face back again.
You must show us more of your wonderful paintings when you do them. I love autumn colors, but your spring forest will have so many shades of green.
Isnt there some lovely bark on trees ?
We often look at the different ones when driving .
You would not be so envious of the nasturtiums once they get going. They are very clever at sneaking up into trees & shrubs when I am not looking. Suddenly one day you see bright orange & yellow flowers up high where they shouldnt be.
I am going to be mean this year and rip out any that dare to climb.
I love them as a colored carpet over the ground under the trees where nothing much grows.

Better go and see what I have in the kitchen for you all then get hubby to help me put the tables on the trailer before I start loading the plants.
We made two tables that sit together in the trailer and are pine , so easily lifted out for use at the trash & treasure.
The plants in trays fir nicely under them in the trailer .
We will put the tarps on and they will sit in the yard until very early Sunday when we leave.

Here we are... something tasty for morning tea..One of my favorites... Blueberry Muffins.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9109191

He has a hidden treasure. the last two bales of hay must be very good. sometimes I look and all I see is Donkeys and a mule butts, no head. That is some good stuff.
sorta like this!!!! right now that hay bale looks like a cave...
When he isn't eating he is standing at the gate ready for a treat.
Then there is feeding time. His eating partner is Annabelle.
AT and His Mom Isabelle eat at other trough. Did not get picture of them
but here is Mr. Super mule telling them to get back...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 3, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9109389

Congratulations on the new arrival Colleen, Having grandbabies is the best!

The painter has just arrived to finish up the last bedroom and the man to put in the kitchen splashback will be here in the next few days.Just carpet in the bedroom after that and then I can move back in --- can't wait. It is all coming together now,happy days.

Jean what market are you doing? I am going plant hunting at Terang and Camperdown markets this weekend & next week to Warrnambool.
The small pond begins to fill and be planted out...long way to go yet!

Thumbnail by chookie2

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 3, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9109596

Hamilton Trash & Treasure on Sunday , Sue,
The Lions have 2 each year. One about now and one in spring.
Hopefully I will sell all my plants.

Charleen, love the pics of cheeky Charley & friends.

I am going to have nice sit down now with a cuppa. The plants are all loaded on the trailer.

takes a bit of rearranging so they dont slide around, but I have plenty of trays that were free from a garden centre a few years ago.

Enjoy the weekend.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 3, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9109656

Well, I am connected to Telstra now, it only took 30 mins as they said, after 6 phone calls to get the right date for connection during the week...talk about the left hand not knowing what the right is doing...that's Telstra...
My former server had the cheek to phone and offer a better deal...I asked them why they hadn't offered before..
Oh, she said...hasn't anyone contacted you...baloney...

It's so fast, I love YouTube now...Ray would never watch because it was so slow...different now..
I have 25GB, that I wouldn't use in 12months...let alone in a month...

I've spent the afternoon, changing email addresses on important sites and to friends...then I got a bit weary and started sending them out without my name on them, so if they didn't know the email address, then they would be wondering who sent it...I think that I fixed all of those.
When my grandaughter got her new iPhone, she sent out her number without a name...I told her that she was a duffer, who is the duffer now...lol

Jean, I hope that you make a packet on Sunday and come home with an empty trailer...sounds as though you have the set up working well in the trailer...try to resist other people's plants though...
Charleen, love those pics...
Chookie enjoy the markets...
Everyone have a great weekend..
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 4, 2012

Post #9110499

Good morning everyone. Foggy and damp here this morning.
Hopefully the sun will find us later.
Its good to have all the plants on the trailer early so there is no last minute rush if something is not quite right.

I have my fingers crossed that I sell lots because I ahve a few things on my wish list I would like.

Dianne,,, me... come home with more plants ?????
I wouldnt do anything like that...LOL
You bet I will check all the other sites out once I am set up.

Hello Charleen, Moon and Louise. hope all is well over there for you all.
Keep safe and pat all my favorite pets for me.

Hello Colleen, Sue, Teresa, Karen, Anthony and anyone popping in for a nice hot cuppa.
I am off to check on a few plants I put in yesterday and I have a few more to plant.

I will leave you these yummy Lamingtons. ..
Enjoy the weekend and keep warm

happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 4, 2012

Post #9110513

Good morning, and yeah, its a sunny one. Looks like we have a fine weekend but a cold one. Winter is getting closer.

Great to read the mail and catch up. Moon, those daylilies are gorgeous. Teresa, hope Sugar acts more lady like as
she grows up. Anthony, your work sounds so rewarding.

Jean, good luck with the sales. We are off to the Olive Branch this weekend, over the northside. Hope to see more of
it this time, as we didn't get to see much last visit. Had a nice long chat with Olive's husband, Len, though.

Hope everyone has a lovely long weekend.

Karen

Pothos plant growing up tree.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 4, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9110991

Hello Everyone, Best of luck for the market Jean.
This morning I went to our local church monthly market and picked up some salvias, two penstemons, a ginger, a viburnum and a cumquat ( needed that for marmalade). All less than $4.00 each so I am a happy camper today.

I just potted up the cumquat and planted the rest around the pool. This pic is what I hope the ginger will look like eventually,I have planted it where the waterfall will go, so it will be a backdrop for for the rocks and waterfall.

Thumbnail by chookie2

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 4, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9111021

Good afternoon everyone. I just ducked in for that lovely hot cuppa Jean. The shadehouse has allowed me a bit of freedom today. Still more to do in there but not as urgent now. I have nearly filled the Reo wire and have broms now hanging from the roof instead of epis. Still a few wires to make up for those though. Good luck with you sale tomorrow Jean. I hope you sell all of them. We have the markets here again tomorrow . The boys and I will pop down for a while to have a look. There's a lot of black clouds building up out there, so I hope it doesn't rain for them tomorrow. My GG son is already home from hospital. They don't stay long now do they? Thanks for all the wishes. You know I still don't feel any older. Someone said to me yesterday, " you're a GG but you're still a Mum" Looks like I'm never going to grow up. lol I hope everyone is well. Marlene I hope your garden is giving you some peace of heart and mind. Look after yourself and know that we are all thinking of you. Must go and see what else i can get up to with the boys. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #9111069

Football day for me today...both of my teams were on at the same time...so spent the afternoon flicking the remote...we won both games, so all is well...Go Cats, Go Bombers...

My 5ft maximum dahlia, which is not a tree Dahlia is now 8ft, so I have to fight my way into my little fernery...

The Tibouchinas look pretty against the little white bridge...they were too pretty to prune so only Matilda goes over the bridge...this variety is 'Jazzie'.
It's going to be a cold night...
Tomorrow morning and tomorrow night the full moon will look the largest it has all year...I bet it's cloudy here..
Have a look.
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 5, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9111085

Went to the RHS Crysanthemum show today,.,.my god... Massive pumpkin sized Crysanthemums from 3 exhibitors[350 entries]- all aged 80+,.,.No, they just dont appeal to me,..,BBBBut i did buy 4 'Pink Mist' Arum bulbs [Jean]- for $6,.,.,.You can always buy, good quality, cheap...bulbstock at these shows,.,,..,[and who can go past a pink Arum?],.,.Then, weeding, potting up and potting on, for the rest of the arvo[couple o sales] im worn out.,.,.Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 5, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9111633

Good morning everyone. A very early morning as we are just off to the trash & treasure.

The gates open at 7.30am for stall holders.
One has to get there very early as there will be a queue to get in and I like to be close the the site so no carrying pots too far.

I will leave a tasty treat for you all in the kitchen. ... Pumpkin Loaf.
I an sure Dianne will put the kettle on.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9111646

Oops!!! That bread was gone when I got here. Charley must have smelled it cooking.
Clematis
Lily, it is a hybird but don't know the name.
Charley, eating the bale from the inside out!!!!

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 5, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9111830

No food for that sneaky Charley, Charleen...he is banned from the house now.
Lovely Clematis and Lilium.

Off to a market myself this morning...
Have a good day everyone.
Dianne

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 5, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #9111955

I always think of Anthony when my lily blooms... Charley is in there, isn't he.
Went out in yard and plant couple small Dahlias, they are so cute. got a mini rose for half price , rescued some iris and got them all in same container. will try to get pictures...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 5, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9112198

I'm back..
The plant sales went really well. I took the trailer over loaded with trays and came home with just one tray of a few leftover little plants in the boot.
Even the weather was perfect. I had my jumper off by lunchtime.

i was lucky to have quite a few plants in flower which always gets people to buy.
Also with plants being great gifts for Mothers Day, quite a few men were buying.

I did not buy a single plant myself.
Most of what was for sale was either too rubbishy or just the common plants.
All I bought were a dozen good paperbacks of the type I like to read.

Now I prepare for the next T&T in spring.

Going to have a nice sit down now. I hardly sat all day.

I did enjoy it all though.

Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 6, 2012
2:44 AM

Post #9112277

Way to go !!!!!!!!- Jean.,.great result -HAVE A GOOD REST, YOU'VE WORKED HARD FOR IT.,.,[dont worry about my capitalisation problems, i type and then look].,.,.,.I brought a bag of finch food for my 'little man finch''- he ate for nearly 1/2 hr..,i told him , he best check and see if he can still fly- then he flew off!!,.,.,.,.,.Bulb city here.,unbelievable amounts of reproduced lily bulbs, so, im potting up, now very worn out!!.,One time of the year, when sooty can get away with walking on the garden, he's onto a mouse, 'which ive seen' in my under verandah garden,.,'wish him luck'

This message was edited May 6, 2012 4:56 PM
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9112288

Love that bridge with the Tibouchinas. Lovely. Would love that in my backyard.

Jean, so pleased for you that the sales went well. And no new plants for you, well think of the savings.

Anthony, sounds like your little finch has you well trained. Wish the cats around here would catch mice.
They kill the birds instead.

Charleen, looks like Charlie has lost his head. That hybrid lily is gorgeous.

Went to The Olive Branch open garden and sales today. Some very unusual plants in their gardens.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well.

Karen

First is the New Guinea Fig, a rare plant here that is fertilized in NG by a wasp which doesn't live here.
The next two are lovely plants I don't know the names of.

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9112748

Love that plant in the middle..
Anthony, I have a lily but not as colorful as yours. Still not bad.
Second one is DH tomatoes he has planted in tires...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 6, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9112930

Good morning everyone.
Looks like being another sunny day after the sun gets out of bed.
Today I am going to do just a little here & there. I am taking it easy after the busy day on my feet yesterday.
I took our plastic chairs but hardly sat at all.
Today we have to go over to Coleraine for one of hubbys appointments.

Anthony. your Mr Finch is very lucky to have you buy him nice food.
We have the little blue wrens around now. I hope more come to join them. Used to be lots until the b*** cat kept coming in.
We have lots of rosellas eating the wire weed seeds . Good little birds as that darn wire weed can be a nuisance.

Charleen, that is a funny pic of Charley losing his head with the hay. Very pretty lily too.
I treid tomatoes like that but it was too windy for them . I may try a few more out the other side when I move some irises.

Karen , glad to see you getting out & about. Nice plants too. I have seen the last one. Very colorful.
The middle one reminds me of the circular leaf on one of my amorphophallus plants.

Hello Dianne, Sue, Colleen and Moon.
Louise hope all is well over your way too.

Tim e I finished my cuppa and put some washing on .

Keep warm and safe.
Here is something nice for morning tea..( and none for Charley) ... White Chocolate Cake..

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 6, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9112939

great news Jean, congratulations, I am sure everyone knew how loved and cared for your plants were.

Dianne that little bridge and tibouchinas is quite a picture.Love the bridge! I will need some kind of bridge over the big pond to the gazebo eventually, but still a ways to go yet.

Yesterdays market visit had me buying five ferns of different kinds ( I have never grown them and they were unnamed so I have yet to look up their names. Some azaleas for underplanting the tree ferns, a plectranthus for the pond verge, and two camellias for the hedge out front. Not bad for a quick visit .LOL

Karen I will visit my son and Brother in Brissie later in the year , can you tell me where the Olive Branch is? My Brother is in Petrie and my son at Redland Bay just now - but currently house hunting.

The painters will finish today thank goodness, then just carpet and I am done---yippee! Maybe by the end of the week if I can find some nice carpet for the bedroom,haven't a clue what I want yet. Will go to town tomorrow and have a look.

I have a Green Goddess but a pink Arum would look lovely by my pond ...hmm... a new idea... thanks Anthony!!
Have a lovely day everyone.
SueB

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 6, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9112954

Good morning everyone. I'm so glad you had a great day at the markets Jean. Makes all that hard work worth it. Good on you. I didn't buy anything at our markets yesterday. The boys found a couple of things to spend their money on and they were very well behaved and we had a great day. My son from Berri popped in on Saturday for a cuppa and he went out to the SH. Well, he must have thought that it looked okay because next thing he had his phone out taking pics of everything. He's never done that before. Made me feel quite chuffed because he's a bit of a critic when it comes to my garden. He likes everything crossed and dotted, all squares and neatness. Not my idea of a garden but each to his own. Not too many buds to come on the brugs but Ivoire's 2 buds are getting bigger and I do have another flower nearly out on Adele Essex. I wonder what colour that will finish up with this cooler weather. The flowers on RFP are pale pink and green but they still look lovely. All's well with the new baby. Must go and hurry the boys along. Have a great day everyone. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 6, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9113099

Colleen, your grand child will be running about getting into all sorts of mischief before you know it. They grow up so quickly.
The markets here are a bit quiet and uninteresting lately. Might be the cooler weather keeping some away?

SueB, The Olive Branch is at 232 Canvey Road, Ferny Grove. I don't have a phone number for them, but you could try
looking it up on the web. I think you need to make an appointment to visit there. Wendy Perske is in the Redlands area and well
worth a visit to her patch, as is Jen. Again, you need to phone first. You can send Wendy a private message or just post on the
bromeliad section of the forum.

Jean, I got the name of the NG fig from a young man who was guiding people and giving directions. However, there was no one
around that strange circular plant. The stem spirals around and the leaves grow only on one side, the outside. The last one I
took just because it was so colourful. Saw so much, the gardens are just wonderful. Though very muddy and soggy in places.

I do hope everyone is having a great long weekend. The weather is so glorious its a shame to be indoors.

Karen

Some pics from The Olive Branch gardens...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 6, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9113117

You would not believe it but its raining and very gloomy here again.
Yesterday was so lovely and just perfect for the trash & treasure.
The Man upstairs was being very kind to me .

Those gardens look lovely Karen.

I am going to go around and check my pods on the brugs and see how everything is going while the rain has stopped for a while.
We have to get going after lunch for hubbys appointments.

pic is one of the zygos. They are going to make a wonderful show this year, with all the buds .
One of the best flower seasons for them so far.
Must have been the shock of the long dry then getting some rain.

Keep warm everyone and enjoy the day.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 6, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9113365

Very nice-and pure Longiflorum lily ,Charleen!
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 7, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #9113540

Thanks for that info Karen,I know Ferny Grove well as my brother used to live in Samford before he went to Petrie. I have written it into my plans for travel diary, it certainly looks worth a visit. Are the others you mention private gardens or nurseries?

Painters have finally gone and left the bill with me...phew it's pretty high for one room, but at last it is done.

I planted the camellias today, they look happy. Now to wait for them to hedge up so I have some privacy out front.
Potted up some Fuchsia cuttings as the plumber had damaged one when putting in the pipes so I cut off the broken bits and trimmed them up into cuttings.

Tomorrow I will go look at some carpet and then later will line the rest of the pond and fill it ! Yes ! things are happening.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9113676

Thank you Anthony...
WE got some rain last night!!! Yeah!!!! The sun is shinning bright this morning and everything looks so pretty. got to go do my morning walk-about to see what is going on in the garden.
I've re-potted some of my Desert roses and this is first shower they have had since re- potting.

FingerLime
Vienna
Austria

May 7, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9113807

Hi all !

Is this a horse lover forum ? ;)

I am from Vienna, where the Lipizzaner are at home and we breed the original wild horse in our zoo and the Lainzer Tiergarten ( a vast Wildlife reservation with a virgin forest of 1000 year old oaks and a lot of wildlife).

Those wild horses are set free in their original homeland Mongolia, where already several herds of wild living horses are now.

I was looking here for I try to get seeds of native australian citrus or hybrids.
Maybe someone knows how to help ?

Best Regards !

freyr@live.at

This message was edited May 7, 2012 6:14 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 7, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9114487

Good morning everyone. Yesterday turned into a nice day and today is looking good so far.
It was a wasted trip to Coleraine yesterday as the medical clinic had no record of hubby having an appointment for the dietician and I couldnt find what I wanted at the shop either.
Hubby will go back next week, but it is silly, as someone did ring to confirm his appointment last week.

I didnt do much else during the day as I am having trouble with my arthritis at the moment.
Carrying trays of plants on the weekend didnt help.

Hello FingerLime. No we are not a horse lovers forum , just a lot of friendly people who wander around many subjects .
We are here in the Tea Room to just relax and chat about anything.
Horses just seemed to pop in one day so we all enjoyed looking at the pics .
You are very lucky to be able to see the originals in your town.
They are lovely creatures.
Someone may be able to help you with seeds.
We have Sue who is putting in a food forest at her new place.
She is planting a large variety of food plants
I grow mainly flowering plants , irises, epiphyllum, brugmansisa etc.

Hello Charleen, I think of you every time I go to my frig and see Charley looking at me.
Your Desert roses look healthy.
I tried some seed once. It grew quite well but the little plants didnt like the cold here and all went toes up.

Anthony, I checked my liliums yesterday. The mice & rats didnt eat them all. Some were buried in the sawdust .
Lots of bulbs sprouting around the place now.
I found a pile of bulbs that had been unearthed by the blackbirds a while ago. I planted them in an old washbasin and there are lots of shoots coming up so laying about on the ground for a while didnt bother them.

Karen, how many plants did you bring home after your visit to that lovely garden ?
I would have had a bag full myself .

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Chrissy and Moon.

Teresa, I hope the sweet Sugar is still showing her learning abilities. Hope your house gets all done before winter too.

Hello Louise, give those girls a hug from me..
Hope you & Hank are enjoying being back in NH.

I am going out to enjoy the sun while it is here .
I may even do a bit of spraying if my shoulders arent too sore.

Have happy day and enjoy morning tea with this...White Buttercake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 7, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9115105

Hi everyone. Must be busy time. Even I'm in late. It was such a lovely morning I had to be outdoors.

Jean, I got a nice little stash of bromeliads from the Olive Branch. Will put in some pics to show, but they
are also on the bromeliad section of this forum. I gather the open garden and sale was a huge success,
judging by all the comments on facebook.

Hope everyone is having a lovely day.
Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 7, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9115110

What a beautiful day it's been...Mum and I went to the flicks and saw "The best exotic marigold Hotel"
Not enough action for my mother so she slept thru it...but I loved it and would highly recommend it...you have to be around retiring age + to really appreciate it, I would think.

Pulled out the remainder of the veggies in pots and put newspaper and lucerne on the top of them to smother the weeds that were stating to grow...then a layer of manure a little later in winter and they will be perfect come Spring...Definitely putting more of those little watermelons this year...3 pots of Apple cucumbers was just right for us and I think that I will save the seeds from the miniature peppers and plant them all together in 1 pot.

I love it when the leaves all fall from the trees and you can see the bones of the garden...it's almost as though the garden is saying, ''Well I've finished for the year, now what are the plans for Spring?."

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 7, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #9115111

They are gorgeous, Karen...almost tempts me...almost :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 7, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9115120

Now, now , Dianne.
Step back a bit.
You are better looking at pics rather than starting to wish for broms.
Look at what happened to me. I now have to sell some to be able to get into the greenhouse.
We will have yards full of brugs , which to me are much better.
They dont bite.

Just been out in the sun all afternoon without a jumper. I thought it was time I wrote down all my brug performances.
I will add the details later to my large file. It will help next year when I see what they do then and decide who goes & who stays.

Jean.
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 8, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9115240

Hello Everyone, Sorry Freya ( Fingerlime) I don't have any citrus seeds as I have just planted some. ( Grapefuit, lime, lemon and Cumquat) Maybe next year?.
Native Limes are perhaps the only native Australian citrus I think. Citrus glauca or 'Desert Lime' and Microcitrus australasica ' Finger Lime'

I saw the Lippizaners in the flesh in WA many years ago and they are certainly beautiful animals. (The place has now turned into a health resort!...with no horses!)

Jean, I hope your arthritis is getting better by now. I wonder how many of us write down our daily plantings,plant deaths and garden plans ,I usually do mine over lunchtime with my coffee. My youngest daughter gave me a lovely garden journal with pockets for seed packets and plant notes and plant labels, so I use it with pleasure, but will fill it before years end I think.
I like those Broms Dianne, when I get the shadehouse built - maybe > LOL

Charleen they remind me of the Yemeni Rose I saw in Saudi Arabia.Very strange tree that grows native in Yemen on Socotran island but now spreading all round the middle east.

Oh yes and I did get my carpet for the bedroom ,it will be laid down on Thursday and I found a bargain , a pure wool cream floral Wilton leftover in stock, and would you believe it was my first choice last year but I couldn't afford it, half price today!! Yippee!

My pond is filling as I write this and I brought the posts for the pergola beside it today. I want to grow a wisteria like this!!
The other two are the Socotran Island Yemeni Rose and dragon's Blood Trees.Aren't they amazing!

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9115404

Sue, they are Beautiful. Love the pictures...
We got a good rain last night. Hubby's tomatoes love it and My one little tomatoe does too,along with bell peppers...
I saw the Budweiser Clydesdale's In Macon, Ga. And they are beautiful...Very impressive gentle giants...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 8, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9116100

Good morning everyone.
A bit of fog here this morning.
Yesterday was lovely. A real autumn day with plenty of sun.
Rain is forecast which will be nice except for the weeds which are now marching onward and upward in great numbers.

Sue, your garden will be beautiful in a few years. Glad you found carpet you wanted.

Reminds, me , I must get out the Magic Carpet and check on it. I hope the mice havent been taking it out .
We must have a nice trip somewhere over the winter.
Somewhere warm. Maybe we will visit Charleen and Charley.

Hello Anthony, hope all is well with Cocky and the cats.
You must get one of those long sticks with a flag on it so we can find you among the bulbs when they all bloom later.

Dianne,it would be nice living close to the ocean, do you take the brugs swimming...lol
I'm not sure they would like salty water.

Colleen, I am sure you are very busy with all the broms there. Hope all is well over your way.

Teresa, pats for those spotty ones. I hope Sugar is not annoying her older mate too much.

Moon , you will be enjoying some lovely weather too.

Charleen, I found an egg at the back door this morning. I'm sure it wasnt Charley.
Thank the little girl for me. I will use it for a nice cake for morning tea.

Hello to everyone else looking in.

I am going to do a bit of planting out today. I have some seedling salvias to go in .
I also need to get rid of the 2 old Geraldton Wax trees. They are so ugly now . A pretty Lilly Pilly will replace them
It will be more shelter for the salvias.
I see all my anemones and ranunculi are coming through now.
Hope they flower well this year.
I must put more in. I love them in a massed display.

Heres a lovely treat for you all. ...Apple & Blueberry Shortcake.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 8, 2012

Post #9116123

Good morning. A little cool here but the sun is shining so it will warm up as soon as I start moving about. The birds are getting restless as I haven't fed them yet. They can wait a bit longer.

My ex had a heart attack yesterday, and has been flown to a hospital in Brisbane. Both our kids are upset and thinking they are going to lose both parents, but my ex is having a stent put in and that can buy him another 10-20 years. I hope to learn more today as my daughter is going up to see him.

So Dianne, you like the broms, hey. As Jean says, the pics are far less trouble than the highly bred plants that lose their colour if they aren't kept just so. Hope I can keep conditions right.

Charleen, I love the clydesdale horses. They are so magnificent. I love an overnight shower for the plants. Helps save water and nothing does the plants better than fresh rain water.

SueB, I love wisteria, but it can be invasive. Mine is down the back climbing a gum tree. There must be different varieties as the flowers don't hang as long as those in the pic. But they are still a beautiful sight when they come out, and the perfume knocks your socks off, it is so lovely.

Jean, I envy you the bulbs. I think they are so beautiful. I used to grow both anemones and ranunculi, but they were pitiful in the clay. Now there just isn't enough sun to even try as the trees are so big and surround the yard, keeping out the sun. Great in summer as it keeps temperatures down a bit.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. Take care.
Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9116188

I have a white Wisteria and a lavender one, yes they are invasive. So pretty too.
I have an orange Salvia, I love it, then the Black and blue Salvia. Eggs, good thing you don't have my Bassett- Beagle hound Jean, that dog will steal an egg in a heartbeat and eat it.
I have had to tie Kaluha out, he is running to the neighbors and it is across the road. Scares me. Now he is tied to a leash, poor baby so he doesn't get hurt.
Poor kids. Tell them to have a little Faith...but I'm sure it is frightening...
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 8, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9116627

Karen,Sorry your family is going through these rough times.Medical advances mean lots of hope for heart patients nowadays .

Yes the wisteria can be a problem which is why I have brought galvanised pipe for the posts to hold it, it just gets heavier and will rot out and fracture wood. But the benefits outweigh the problems for me. It will have the whole loggia roof to clamber over and nothing near to be overtaken, so should be ok.

Jean beware the lillypilly it seeds like mad and will give hundreds of seedlings each year.Birds love them though so that is a bonus.I have one outside the dining room that is over 30 ft high and with about 12 trunks, it is one that will be trimmed when the tree lopper comes. They can be hedged quite easily but do need several trims a year.Mine all have lovely red new growth right now. I could have sent you plenty of seedlings! LOL

Charleen your garden sounds lovely ...big enough for two wisterias!! Which one is the most rampant? White or mauve?

I brought eight goldfish this morning and just let them go into the small pond, the large one is still filling from my rainwater tank...very slow as it just gravity feed on flat ground.

Pic: Lillypilly & fig in front of dining room. Taken in 2010 when I first brought the property.

Thumbnail by chookie2

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #9116692

http://www.carltonclydesdales.com.au/Team/Clydesdale-Profiles.aspx
Had to put this one up for you Charleen...these are our wonderful Carlton Draught Clydies...They travel all around to different shows and such, probably much the same as your's do...

Sorry about your ex, Karen...though he should be fine now...
You must start gardening in pots...you can have most things in pots...

Watch those fish, chookie...the herons will love them...hopefully you won't have any near you...they are everywhere here...

Jean, the salty air is why everything grows so well, including me...lol

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 9, 2012
1:50 AM

Post #9116726

Yay the pond is now full! Photo tomorrow.

The pond is very close to the house and the gazebo/loggia too will shelter it Dianne, I doubt the birds but fear the neighbours cats will be a problem. I have kept the water lower than the sides deliberately so they cannot just reach in-they will need to stretch -and will be planting hanging ferns around most of it to reduce access to them, found a brown frog today under the ferns I have planted, so that's good news.

Just had a last minute dash to the PO at 4.30 as a parcel of plants came - pond plants -so I spent an hour or so potting them up,and placing them in the ponds, hope they all grow. Haven't planted the Waterchestnut yet though, want to get that one exactly right so will read it up tonight, I didn't have any success with them up in the Wimmera so am hoping for luck here..

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 9, 2012
2:32 AM

Post #9116733

Chookie I had water chestnuts in a large icecream container and they grew very well in my pond...only trouble they didn't get the chance to increase very much because they were so delicious...when it came time to divide them, I would eat more than I replanted...
Your pond must be in a good spot so the frogs will use it...cats can be a big problem...until I decided that my cats weren't going to be allowed to roam anymore, one of them used to bring home very large goldfish every day...that decided me...she had a burial ground where she kept the bodies, birds and fish...we never found out where she got the fish from...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 9, 2012
2:56 AM

Post #9116737

the weather was bleak today & it has started drizzling...
the forecast for the weekend is a bit grim, I am showing Sugar & don't fancy running around in the rain & mud.
We are on early so hopefully the rings will still be in good nick then.
If we don't win our class we can go home early & have the rest of the day to dry off & warm up :)
Of course winning brings it's own warm glow so either way I will be happy.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9116927

I don't have any cats but do love them. But it was heartbreaking for me last week when I had my Three little funerals. 2 Goldfish and I wild wren. I have to go look at my pond, we got rain again and it should be filling up. I had the fish in a smaller container while I patched the pond. I think it got to warm and 2 died, so I filled my pond a little fuller and put them back in there, I know it is cooler than that plastic container they were in. No losses now.
I LOVE the Clysdales and I read their story. Magnificent.
Hugs and nuzzles to all...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 9, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9117580

Good morning everyone.
Fog here this morning after a showery day yesterday.
Nothing much got done due to the showers yesterday but really not a lot to do at the moment other than watch the weeds grow.

Teresa, I hope you & Sugar won and didnt end up too muddy.

Sue, your place does look as if it will be lovely when finished. ( is a garden ever finished ?? ...lol)
I have 3 different Lilly Pillys and 2 are weepers. I wont have to worry about them growing as there is room where they are going.
I have a pretty one I did as a bonsai about 6 years ago, Looks lovely when in flower.
With the seeds,,, well they could never be as bad as the Ash trees.
Now there is a seeder . millions that are so hard to remove.

Karen, sorry to hear about your ex and hope all is well now.

Dianne, I have seen the Carlton United clydesdales many times over the years.
They are magnificent.

Charleen, I'm sure Charley thinks he is just as wonderful as the clydesdales..
Give him a cookie later form the kitchen.

Hello to everyone else.
I had better get myself moving . Its shopping day again.

Enjoy these Chocolate Peanut Squares...
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9117702

Yes, he is my Magnificent darling mule. I love him...
Here he is, STuffin' his face...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9118042

Sounds like everyone is bust either wrapping up or waking up the gardens..

Karen know the ex-hubby's health was a surprise...hope all goes well for him.

Teresa, hope Copper shined brightly at the show.

Chookie, your garden will be a thing of beauty when finished...I know you must be delighted.

Good thoughts to you all.

Moon
chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 10, 2012
12:41 AM

Post #9118073

Dainne Good to hear we can grow waterchestnets down south. I just read them up and will probably not put them in the pond until they shoots as they seem to be best that way. I will TRY not too eat them so I have to replant ---if they grow! LOL

LOL Jean No garden is ever finished is it? Always a new plant or something to move. I am looking forward to learning the seanal changes and what takes and what doesn't. I do know what you mean about the ash trees their seeds last forever and the flowers killed all my fish one year in the Wimmera...silly me put the pond right beside a big one, after that experience I covered the pond each year while it flowered. Apparently indigenous Australians used the ash tree to poison fish. Pity I didn't read that before I put in the last pond LOL.

At last my bedroom is finished ,the carpet went down today and I put the bed in as soon as they left, have hung new curtains too, and tonight I can go back to my comfy bed ----yippee! The furniture is another story as my big wardrobe is too heavy for me and is still out in the container waiting for me to have some strong visitors, so my clothes are in the other two bedrooms LOL. I lost the built in robe when they pulled the floor up and decided to not to replace it as I have a nice antique wardrobe from the farm.

Dalfyre I hope you did well in the comp.

Charleen ponds are like gardens they evolve,change and need adjustments.Just hope feral cats and herons are not part of my habitat LOL.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

May 10, 2012
5:10 AM

Post #9118181

Hi everyone. no Jean I haven't got lost in the SH. I have been very busy though, what with school and housework and washing and gardening and shopping. You get the idea. We're going to Adelaide next week for a few days to see the new babe. The boys are really excited. Cameren wanted to know if he could teach him some maths. If he can we will have another Eistein on our doorstep. lol Chookie great to see your getting your ponds and your house the way you like it. It all takes a lot of time but you 'll get there. Well time for a bit of shut-eye. Hope everyone is well and I'll be back when I get a spare minute. Take care everyone. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9118300

I hope not either, Sue. Cats and fish just don't go together very well. I have a wire over the top of my ponds to keep critters out. My dogs love water, they will also kill those goldfish. Goofy critters. but Love my animals so I try to make a happy co existence for all. Now a big pond, I'd be in serious trouble :-}
We have been getting rain and weather has cooled down. Nice Spring day out there this morning...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 10, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9118891

Good morning everyone.
Cold morning here. The sun is just coming over the hills. I hope it is a fine autumn day as was yesterday.
It turned out to be rather warm and pleasant for getting around all the shops.
I was very good and bought no plants at all.
I bought 2 new jumpers instead. Its about time I had a clean out of all the old clothes that get pushed to the back of the wardrobe.
I will go over to Casterton next week and get a new pair of shoes too.
Seems like todays shoes dont last that long. I have a nice pair here that are only about 12 months old but the sole is coming off.

I did a bit of weeding in the front garden yesterday afternoon and I am sure I heard the weeds laughing at me.
I see new shoots coming up from the dutch itis so I have to be careful where I walk when weeding.

I moved a lot of my large bromelaids out to the shadehouse as they were getting way too big in the greenhouse. I was really having trouble getting in there.
These are the hardier ones that should do okay during winter outside. I have already had some there for 2 years..
Now I can move in the greenhouse and give the smaller broms a bit more room . I have lots of pups to remove later so they will soon fill the place again.

Hello Teresa, Colleen , Sue, Dianne , Anthony and Karen. Hope all is well with you and that your gardens are looking very colorful with autumn leaves now.
Its only a few weeks to winter...brrrrrrrrrr...

Hello Moon and Charleen.
I may have to come over to you for some warmth during our winter.
Hope the gardens are all looking lovely with the sun.
Give Charley some cookies.

Louise, hope all is well with you too. Pats for the girls. .

I am off this morning to get my hair cut.
I will also pick up a few things I didnt get yesterday.
Isnt it just the same with us all. Always something you find you didnt buy when you get home from shopping ?

Try this yummy Chocolate Cake for morning tea.

Happy gardening
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 10, 2012

Post #9118921

Morning all...
Enjoy your visit with the baby Colleen...sounds as though the boys are ready to start educating him...
he'll be riding a bike in no time.

What colour did you buy your jumpers in, Jean?
I need a couple of jackets, I noticed that mine are pilling...haven't seen anything I fancy yet.

Hi, Louise, Charleen and Moon hope it doesn't get too hot too soon for you.

On Mother's day, I'm going to see Dark Shadows with my daughter and grandaughter...I used to watch that on TV when Linda was tiny...Love Johnny Depp, so it will be interesting to see the new twist they have given it.

Terrible forecast for Tassie, Anthony...put your heating on early, you're going to need it.
Back later
Dianne.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 10, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9118927

Good morning. Hope everyone has a lovely day ahead. Looks glorious outside, but a bit cool inside so far.

I am not stopping. Just wanted to read and catch up. Am off to catch me a bus today, hehehe... Feeling good.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 10, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9119151

Dianne, I always go to Millers for my clothes and they had these lovely cardigan / jackets.
They have a nice large collar, big buttons and a wide rib bottom. Look very nice on .
I bought a black as I like the black over bright shirts.
The other is grey / beige.
Nice and loose fitting in a very pretty knitted pattern
I also bought a warm zip up jacket for the garden.

Just been out getting a couple of pics and nearly froze. Yesterday I was walking around without my jumper and today I need 2 on.
We had a shower overnight .
Its going to be very cold all weekend. Brrrrrrrr.
Keep warm.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9119158

It has been nice since we had ran, turned off cool.
Charley sends sweet warm nuzzles of love.
See that dumpy little woman surrounded by chickens???? That's me and my Parade...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 10, 2012
11:32 PM

Post #9119382

What;s the world coming to...
I was going thru a lot of Disney stuff on YouTube, showing my mother her favourite cartoons...I decided to put on The Siamese cats singing their song, from Lady and the Tramp...We both thoroughly enjoyed it as we did when I was 10 and first saw it in the film.

My mother was engrossed in the film and I just happened to look at some of the comments underneath...

Did you know that the Siamese cats had slanted eyes and were Asian...
That the whole film was terribly racist...
Of course it was racist..

The cats WERE Asian, they are Siamese...obviously the people complaining had never owned Siamese cats...it portrays them perfectly...My Siamese is just as cruel to Matllda as the ones in the film were to Lady..
There Is also a Scottish terrier named Jock.
A Borzoi, Dachshund and all different types of dogs with names that suit their breed.

The comments were all about how the film couldn't be made today, because of the typecasting.
How utterly ridiculous...Good thing Disney didn't include a black dog in the film...just imagine what those lunatics would make of that...
now I'll have a cuppa...lol
Here's Lady and the cats...I won't put the clip on I might see the comments and get angry all over again.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 11, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #9119396

Heaters been burnin' for a couple of weeks now Dianne,.,.looks like its going to be a brilliant winter.,,.freezing at 3pm/wind driven rain.,.,.Charleen, dont worry about the 'dumpy bit'-or frumpy or bumpy[ everyone cant look beautiful]-like me!!!!!!!!!!!!--[reel em in]!!!!- We are doing up some curries to freeze-, to eat over winter,.,mmmm!,.,scallops/sausages/ mince- you name it!.,.,.,.,$200 bulb purchase today[thinking ahead!!] -but i may have to pot them in the back of my ute for a few months, as there is no room here.,.,[should look a sight?]

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9119534

Thank you, Anthony.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 11, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9120182

Good morning everyone.
Very cold here this morning. typical autumn weather. The sun is trying to make me believe it is warm out there.
Yesterday was the same with a few showers.
I didnt do much as I went over to Coleraine to get my hair cut ,then decided to pop over to Casterton for a pair of shoes.
we are in the middle of the 2 towns , each about 20 mins away.
I was out of luck with the shoes.
The shoe shop in Casterton is the only one around here that sells what I call proper shoes.
I want something comfortable and nice looking. I do not want to prance around in some silly open bit of a "shoe" with 6 " heels.
I'd like to know what shoe designers wear when they are wanting to be comfortable at home and I bet its not some flibberty gibbert of a shoe they expect others to wear.
The lady was sympath etic , but she can only stock what is available . Even the plainest of flat shoes are now so silly with very narrow bases that make you wobbly and the sizes have all changed.
I have always worn size 8 1/2 until they stopped making a lot of half sizes so then had to get a size 9.
Yesterday I saw a size 10 ?? that wouldnt even go on my foot. Are shoes today being made by tiny little people ?
Thats my gripe for the day. Needless to say, I came home with no new shoes.

Hello Anthony. Glad to see you are keeping nice & warm. We gave up on our wood heater years ago as wood is so expensive now and very hard to get.
People used to collect all the old fallen wood along the roadside but now you are not allowed to touch any a sit is "habitat ". Farmers are also not supposed to even burn fallen logs / trees either.
Greenies gone mad..

Dianne, lovely song and beautiful cats. Hubby had 2 Siamese here but they died of old age .
More people gone mad with all the PC.

Charleen, I didnt see anyone dumpy in your pic, unless you meant the speckled girl in the front of the pic.
Glad to see you taking them out for a walk. I didnt see Charley , is he still head first in that hay bale ?

Hello Karen, nice to see you getting out and about. Keep up the gentle walking.

Hello Sue, Colleen and Teresa.

I am going to get another cuppa and sit here with the heater until the sun gets a lot warmer.
enjoy the weekend and keep warm.

Heres something nice to have with your cuppa...Chocolate & Rum Truffles.

( not too many Anthony ) .

Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 11, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9120221

Morning all, a cup of cocoa would be suitable this morning, Jean...very brisk but sunny.
I liked the sound of your jackets...bad luck with the shoes...
I want a pair of flat boots this year, haven't really looked yet, my last pair died of old age.

Charleen, I didn't mean to ignore your pics, it's just that I was so angry...
Lovely flowers and a cute one of you and the chooks...that big grey one is beautiful, I forget the name of the breed...
Karen, hope you enjoyed your day...keep up the good work and don't forget the pots...

Colleen, you and the boys have a good weekend...

Chookie, enjoy you pond and your planning.

Anthony. not the back of the ute...lol

Everyone have a good weekend.
Dianne.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9120304

Honey, don't worry about it. I never think you all are ignoring me.Think too much of you all for that. The little grey is a Silver Sebright. His name is lil Champ. Thinks he is tough. The big one is Jake, Is it a Buff Orphington??? He pecks at me sometimes and I gotta show him who is boss. but he is a pretty fella, that is Abigail's love...
She runs her son off, away from her. I named him Kaitlin, I thought he was a she!!!☺
Charley was in the pasture. Right over the fence.
Those shoe designer probably wear "flip-flops"...☺
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 11, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9120353

Good beautiful morning. Really lovely here, not warm, but not too cool either.

Dianne, some comments on some clips really rile me. I personally feel, if you don't have something constructive to say, then say nothing. Don't have to flatter either. People today amaze me. Maybe they lack communication skills and only know how to hurt or scorn or be negative?

Jean, they seem to be getting scarcer these days, but some of the so called health shoes usually suit me better. I can no longer get shoes from ordinary shoe shops. I think shoes are made in Asia where they don't understand larger feet. For some closed in footwear I have to get mens (or boys) shoes to cover the width of my foot. I take size 7, but these are often so narrow, and if closed in, I can't get my foot into them due to a very high arch. I've paid big dollars at places like Athletes foot for walking shoes and been very disappointed.

Charleen, when I get back to around your weight, I will feel like a beauty queen. High insulin doses sent my weight skyrocketing, and in such a short time. Now I've been able to lower the doses, I have started to lose some and hope I can get down to around 70 kilos. Anything lower than that I think is just a daydream. I love "fancy" fowl and whenever I see one I have to stop and look. The silver is unusual and lovely. But so is the black. One of my old favourites is the Rhode Island red, just a plain but lovely bird.

Anthony, I can just imagine you growing your bulbs in the back of your ute. Good luck with them. Wont' a really cold winter be good for Spring bulbs?

Hi to anyone else popping in. Too nice to sit here much longer. Must be off before Barry arrives.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

May 11, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9120399

Yes Karen, It will...--Speaking of chickens, I returned home from grocerying to find a 'copper' hen in my seedling boxes,.,.[definately looking to be made into curried chicken]-- i caged it, and my neighbor drove it back up to the 'bretheran' house , behind us.,.,.,keeping the thread nice!!!!![mumble-mumble -mumble- to the bretherans]-Anthony

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9121172

Had she scratched it up Anthony. those feed are world's first Roto tiller and they do a grand job of destroying flower beds. i know from experience.
Been nice today, We planted some more tomatoes and bell peppers. Now I'm one wore - out old woman.
You all have a nice week end. ...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 12, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9121219

Good morning everyone. Raining still here. Not heavy, just showers all the time.
I love getting the rain but I want to spray the weeds while they are still small so I am hoping for a dry day.

I need to get out and move a few irises around too. I have been waiting for the rain to wet the ground so I can dig it.
I am moving some to fill empty spaces then leaving me room to try some vegies.

Hello Anthony. I had to laugh at you getting that chook in your garden. Certainly would have made a mess with those bigger feet than Mrs Blackbird.

Teresa, hope the two spotted ones are behaving. You will be getting very cold there now too. Hope all your heating problems are solved now.

Charleen, does Charley look a little wobbly . I see all the rum balls are gone from the plate.
He must have put his head in the door and nicked them. Hope he doesnt have a hangover for the rum...lol

Hello Sue, you will be getting your house all comfy for winter now things are done inside.

Dianne, I have more nerines popping up and more anemones. I must plant even more as I do like the show from the anemones and Rununcs.
With getting shoes, I will try the chemist for Homy Peds or something.
My daughter gave me money for Mothers Day so I will use it for them.

Hello Colleen, Karen and Louise.
I am off to check the garden while the rain has stopped.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL ...
Try this lovely cake to celebrate.

Happy day
Jean..

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

May 12, 2012
3:33 PM

Post #9121248

Good morning all. Housebound today as have had an attack of arrhythmia overnight. Not bad, just got to rest up until it stops completely.

Anthony, lucky you knew who owned the hen. Hope she didn't destroy any valuable seeds.

Charleen, you'll have fresh spring veges which will charge you up again in no time. I had the cat in overnight or early this morning. It
seems to have caught another pigeon, and knocked over a stack of pot plants doing it. If I ever catch that thing, it'll be murder!!!

What a lovely cake, Jean. Happy Mothers Day to everyone who nurtures young of any kind, human, animal, reptile, bird or plant.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

May 12, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9121253

Happy Mother's Day, everyone...
I'm off to stare at Johnny Depp for a couple of hours after a nice lunch...
Enjoy the day...
Dianne.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9121277

Happy Mother's Day to you All, well, except Anthony but he has only a month to wait. ☺
That is why Charley was almost braying at me when I fed him this afternoon. I thought it was because I was almost late. He was making some beautiful weird noises. The donkeys were dragging along back in the pasture and Charley was at the gate.
My Radishes are almost big enough to eat, Robert has little Green beans in his Garden and I nibbled up two of them. Yummy.
Won't be long before we may even have a tomato, now that is what I'm looking forward too.
Now look at him reaching over that fence. does he look like he needs a rum ball??? the rascal...

chookie2
Camperdown
Australia

May 12, 2012
11:40 PM

Post #9121702

Hello Everyone. I have had two lovely nights sleep back in my own bed ...just lovely. It is good to not have tradesmen coming early every morning too.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mums here too!
Cold wet and windy here today so no outside work.
Have been getting all my lapidary supplies sorted to go to Gem Club on Wednesday.
Hope the bus trip went well for you Karen.
Jean shoes are the bane of my life,after a fall last year that has left me with a bad ankle permanently, I often buy shoes when I am out because others hurt, and have ended up with so many pairs that I cannot wear.No more high heels for me , glad I am no longer working.I gave my DiL four pairs which was great , she was happy and I had more space and no temptation to try and wear high heels again.

I ordered a pair of Doc Marten boots online because everyone who has them says they are wonderful, hoping they will add some support to my ankle. Good luck in your shoe hunt. There is one very good shop for sensible shoes in Warrnambool if you ever get there...in Fairy street I think.

Charleen I love your hens , large and bantam size! Silver Sebrights are pretty birds. One of my two pullets got Marek's disease and died, so now I have only one and she is lonely so I will have to get her a friend, poor LJ she needs some company.

Wishing everyone a great week ahead.
Fuchsia outside my window.
Pelargonium in flower.

Thumbnail by chookie2   Thumbnail by chookie2

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

May 13, 2012
12:53 AM

Post #9121709

well the weather played nice, yesterday was dry & cold.
Sugar behaved pretty well & I had a couple of nice dally people give me hints on handling her & we came in the first four in the puppy stakes.
which meant staying till the end of the show for the final... Sugar was very good but we didn't come home with any ribbons.
Today was warm - the sun came out & Sugar was full of beans...
I don't think she made a very good first impression on the judge & the next time we went into the ring she fidgeted so much that judging was over before I had her set up!
Oh well that meant we were free to go & Baz's brother met us at home & shouted us lunch at the local Coffee Culture.
the wicked pup is worn out - I made sure to play fetch for a long time this afternoon & poor old Copper is easy to tire these days, he was chasing Sugar & racing her to the toy I had stuffed with a dog biscuit.
so peaceful at our place right now :)
I asked Baz's brother to stay for dinner & he & Baz called their Mum in Robina for Mother's Day.
I need to phone my Mum but I did text her this morning from the show.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9121841

Happy Mothers Day to you all. Getting rain this morning. The good Lord knows I needed to rest from all that work out in yard yesterday. But sure am going to have some nice tomatoes, I hope. We put them in an old flower bed and they will be easier to water. But no problem, as we are getting a nice rain today...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 13, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9121910

Hope you all have had a lovely Mother's Day.

Teresa, Sugar will get there...she has a good trainer.

Sorry about the hen Chookie...yes, LJ will love having a new friend.

Charleen, sounds like the garden is coming by leaps and bounds...lots to can or freeze...lots to munch right off the vine.

Karen, do take care. Hope you feel 100% soon.

Dianne...hope you enjoyed the movie...Tim Burton/Johnny Depp make a good team at dark comedy.

Jean, hope you find exactly the shoe you need. Hurting feet can make the whole body ache.

Anthony...sounds like you have lots to keep you busy...kind of you to return the chook...perhaps a small sign...TRESPASSERS WILL BE EATEN ? would be in order...grin

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

May 13, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9122345

Good morning everyone. I have just been moving us around again. I had better get myself organised and see what I have in the kitchen for morning tea.
I hope you are all well and enjoyed seeing family on Mothers Day.
the sun is shining here and trying to convince me it is warm.
Too late , I have already been out and about in the garden and I know it is freezing out there.
I will sit here with the heater until The sun gets a bit higher.

Take care and enjoy this lovely warm Apple Pie ( with cream, of course ).
We have gone here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257921/

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America