Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: More Autumn Brugs.....

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 118, Views: 1,117
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 19, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9089346

Chrissy asked me to start the new thread with my new flower open ..
Mango Cornet...

Delicious aurea perfume. A brug worth keeping for that alone.
One from Alistair and I have it written down as Bucks Fizz x Bert.
Cant seem to find it anywhere to check.

We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251515/
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 19, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9089367

I think that one is a sibling to BB if I recall. Must go check on that.
The colour reminds me of Musketeer at it's best.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 19, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9089519

Dianne in case you didn't see it in the last thread ...please bring that pretty baby of yours over here :-)
when you have a minute. I found a teensy bud on Ivoire this morning - I would love to see just one bloom before the frosts ! :-)

We actually have sun here, but the grounds are sloshy in some areas, hoping for a fine weekend though more rain is forecast of course.
Wasps everywhere ...I hope they are eating the bugs. So many Y's ...you can't help but hope, even as the night temps begin to drop.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 20, 2012
12:06 AM

Post #9089750

Ok, here they are Chrissy...the last of the Angel's Flight x Charleston has opened and the others are fading now...
I really like it in soft pink as well as the pink.

I am still looking for the Mango Cornet pic, Jean

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 20, 2012
12:21 AM

Post #9089756

Loving the pinks, that soft pink is adorable !
You must be very chuffed ! :-)
Makes it all worth it huh ?

chrissy
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 20, 2012
12:47 AM

Post #9089762

Dianne, try looking for Mango Kornet. Alistair sent my piece to me and that is how he spelt it on the tag. Love the soft pink too. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 20, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9089767

Good tip Colleen, I remember the K being the subject of discussion before...thanks.

If the AF x CH colours up next Spring like it has this time, I will be extremely chuffed, Chrissy.
I feel very fortunate with Ivoire and now this one, I love the others too, but those 2 are special...though I can't leave out Topsy...lol
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9090688

DIanne, I also love the way that AF X.C goes from a deep color and fads to a soft delicate pink.

Jean MC looks really nice with the Bright "Orange" mango Skirt

Alistair =
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=7849612
has the right spelling for Mango Cornet if there was any confusion
My Dr Seuss is still in bloom but dropping many buds there is like 100 blooms there ang looks good from second floor window

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 20, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9090707

Thanks fro the correct spelling Shaun.
Now , I also have a brug called Matilda from Alistair.
Does anyone have a pic of it or info on the parents ?
Back then I was not so good at keeping my notes.

Mango Cornet is looking very pretty in the orange dress this morning.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 20, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9090713

Beautiful pictures Shaun ...can't wait to see Dr Seuss bloom here, he makes pretty babies it seems.
You need to post that Dr Seuss close up over in the BGI Gallery, it will knock their socks off. :-)

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 20, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9090727

Lovely Jean, I can't remember if anyone had Matilda, I have Matilda's Sister (working name only) who was later renamed ...to
See Picture for clues :-) recognize her ?

I think he chose this one over Matilda, but I am not sure.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 20, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9090737

Matilda is Adèle Essex's sister, Jean...Adèle was called Matilda's sister at first...Pink Panther x Bruce's Pink.
Matilda is a single medium pink...there is a pic on DG somewhere in the last couple of year's threads.

Mango Cornet looks very pretty this morning.
I thought that it was spelt with a K too.

Yes Chrissy, Alistair did prefer Matilda's sister, that's why he named her after his aunt.
Here is the link to Matilda http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8206860

This message was edited Apr 21, 2012 9:46 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 20, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9090746

Thank you for the info Dianne & Chrissy.
I have had no Y at all on Matilda.
Adele has a Y but was hit by the spider mites so had no buds at all. Maybe next year.
Matilda was hiding behind a couple of others so I had forgotten she was there.
If they are similar, I will keep Adele. I think she is lovely.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 21, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9091169

Colleen, how are your seedlings going? Brian's seedlings as well as your own must be getting to a good size now...you haven't said much about them...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
1:47 AM

Post #9091173

When i first say Matilda I thought that you were talking about Mathildenwalzer http://www.fuchsienfreunde.de/viewtopic.php?t=16836

also here is mango Cornet http://www.fuchsienfreunde.de/viewtopic.php?t=12110

But matilda looks like a very nice

Ill send that ipc over to BGI as soon as possible Chrissy

the yard is just full of blooms right now but only crossing a few now more of what i would rather work with then what will pollinate
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 21, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9091175

Dianne not all the seedlings have "Yed" yet. I'm going to chop them very soon and let them bush out for Spring. I was loathe to do the chop as I thought that I would chop the flowering piece off but most of them are getting too gangly now so I will have to do it. I'm still waiting for Judy's Tantra, Matilda, Sugar Pink, all the Vulsas and Flavas and US brugs Dr Seuss, Musketeer and some X's. I suppose they'll flower when they're ready. I went out and double checked the label on Mango Kornet and it's definitly spelt like that on mine. Do you think that I should change the spelling to a "C"? It's raining here at the moment. Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
2:08 AM

Post #9091178

Colleen Alistair & Monika both have it labelled as Mango Cornet if that's how it was named that's how it should be written
I would change it so that you have no more confusion about the spelling.

I hope all of your plants bush up and give you a monther LOAD of blooms in spring on all of those babies
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 21, 2012
2:21 AM

Post #9091180

Shaun, Alistair was the one who sent me the cutting with that spelling on the label. I think it must have just been a little slip up so I will change it to a "C" so that all the spellings are the same. thanks. Colleen
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9091224

I have just gone out side and had a look at my ""Apricot (1023)='Old Apricot' "" which i pollinated with my "" X.candida 'Peach'='Old Apricot' "" and it looks like there could be a seed pod or 2
this would make it a cross between
Old Apricot X.Old Apricot how funny
what would i write it down as and would it be a valid name cross?????
this should be 1 for Alistair
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9091980

Sorry Colleen! Yes it should be with a C

Shaun there is something weird about Old Apricot: either it is self fertile, or there are two or more clones within the cultivar! Some years ago I grew a whole lot of seed from an open pollinated pod on OA and they all came up more or less identical to OA! I think Wayne has found the same, and maybe Cestrum also???

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 22, 2012
12:47 AM

Post #9092428

This is the nearest I can get to the colour of the A.Swingtime x Mango Crush...It partially closes during the day
then opens wide at night, nice perfume a bit lemony...the pics still don't capture the depth of the Mango colour..
Which is a shame because it's really pretty...both of the plants have the same colour flower.
So what might happen if I cross them?...no I will wait until next Spring...I have enough pods this year...
Though one of my Knightii pods fell off...I hope that it holds the other one, it's x Ivoire...

We have the Sphaeros to look forward to in the cold weather...my Strybing vulsa x Sanguinea are about 4'6" tall, so maybe
we might see a flower this year...Michael Graupe said that they get to 6'...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9092593

The Visitor

Thumbnail by SolMan

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 22, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9093157

Dianne, the color there is very pretty. I hope you have success in the spring in crossing it.
My Mango Cornet is very dark orange this morning, beautiful color.
The other bud on Super Pink x Apricot Queen is still being shy.
It has been dangling for days but has opened slightly .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9093187

Lovely blooms Dianne and Jean,
Shaun what is that ? a toad ?

Nothing happening here but rain.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9093209

About the OSA ...0ver 15 years here with no pods on mine, only the ones I crossed myself, I see a different calyx on cestrum's Apricot seedlings, they look more versicolor to me (possibly a mix up earlier on).
This season I have many open pollinated pods for the first time but no pods on the OA.
I must have one that does not self pollinate if they do self pollinate.

Has anyone had open pollinated OS Apricot crosses ?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 22, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9093211

Lovely Mango blooms, Dianne. And I'd say that's a Vireya blooming in the background :-)
Great view from your upstairs window, Shaun: so many flowers and such healthy looking plants ... a toad? Not a cane toad, not bumpy/ugly enough LOL
Re seedlings with Old Apricot as parent: the OA x Butterbomb seedlings that have flowered so far for Wayne and myself have all been single apricots that look pretty much like OA itself. However, I've just remembered that first seedling of mine that had OA as a pod parent and an unknown donor, probably Golden Butter--that seedling was white: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951780/
Added: the apricot versicolor referred to in my old post is in fact Old Apricot.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 8:52 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9093237

Wow cestrum talk about walking down to the memory road, thanks for the nostalgic look back then.
I kind of miss those days ...lol still raining here just like it was back then, thanks for that link :-)

I think that white was a pretty shape.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 22, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9093253

Yeah, I actually like that white more now than I did then. The seedling itself is long gone. I did get seeds from it but I'm not sure in fact if any of the seedlings are still left among the buckets of unflowered seedlings or if they've died.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9093298

I have a few "" Apricots"" that look like Old Apricot about 8 in total as i bought them all as different names many years ago when i had no IDEA hahahah those days have changet Thanks to all my friends on DG & BGI

i have many seed pods on "Candida 'Peach'= Old Apricot and there are a few Open pollinated ones also, I have Aztec Gold, Dr Seuss, GHA & Ecuador Pink all as pollen parent.
On my other (1023)= "Old Apricot" i have "Candida 'Peach'= Old Apricot as a pollen parent and a few open pollinated caps as well
I will be crossing "Candida 'Peach'= Old Apricot X.(1023)= "Old Apricot" when it shows it's next flowers as i have pollen put away.

Jean, MC color is very hot orange and the shape stunning
My [Colchester Rd] aurea is about to bloom also so should be a few pic's coming

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9093330

Shaun why do you call it Candida Peach ...I thought it was a mix, but is that officially a candida ?

http://www.brugmansia.us/species/candida.html
Just wondering ?

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 22, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9093345

chrissy100 wrote:About the OSA ...0ver 15 years here with no pods on mine, only the ones I crossed myself, I see a different calyx on cestrum's Apricot seedlings, they look more versicolor to me (possibly a mix up earlier on).
This season I have many open pollinated pods for the first time but no pods on the OA.
I must have one that does not self pollinate if they do self pollinate.

Has anyone had open pollinated OS Apricot crosses ?

Chrissy, last year I had an open pollinated pod that matured after 8 mnths on OA but it was empty...there a quite a few there this year only one was pollinated by me...but I have dozens of bees in the garden when ever the brugs are in flower...
i don't think that mine is self fertile, it never had pods when it was the only one in the garden.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9093368

In the past i have bought many varieties all different names Apricots, Peaches, Versicolor, versicolor Apricot, Versicolor Peach, candida peach all of what i can remember all look so alike just waiting for them to all bloom to make sure.
all look like OA this is what i am trying to find out by crossing them to see if i have mutiple types,
I do understand that candida is valid and i think my plant in Australia is OA as you all know plant names have been very ambiguous to date and still are

I know by the discription chrissy told me and the pic also that they are OA & not versicolor

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 22, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9093389

The pods on the FFA fasc are growing, these are the ones that were crossed with RFP, the 2nd of the twin pods is still making up its mind, though I noticed an increase in it's size this morning...it is crossed with Bruce's PInk, both of these were chosen because of the size of the flower...the 3rd pod was knocked off in the stormy weather...
The Knightii pod is a bit different it seems to have divisions, funny thing...
Ivoire is laden with pods including the Topsy cross, which is getting large now...the others are all open pollinated..
The Double white noid still has it's pod, it's crossed with RFP, though it looks like it was crossed with a banana.

cestrum, the MC cross is growing next to the Vireya and the colours are lovely together, there is a Congo parrot plant there too...

By golly that's an ugly frog, Shaun...be careful, it's probably looking for someone to kiss..lol

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 22, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9093400

I may have a pod...
When I was playing moths with GHA, a cutting of GHA and aurea Lucas were flowering underneath so I stuck pollen on them. Aurea Lucas looks like it is holding a pod now. Hard to tell on the other yet.
I am still waiting on the little DPG to open. Maybe in a day or so. Its raining here now and become cold so this may slow everything down.
Plants are all enjoying the rain though.
Talking of OSA etc... I have a brug here from Chrissy that was an unnamed cutting.
When it first flowered it was white which turned apricot after a day then darkened beautifully.
Found the old pics of it from 2009.
It had just a few flowers. the next year then was badly burnt by a severe frost in 2011.
I thought it had totally died but during the summer it started to reshoot and is now looking good.
I do like the contrast of the white and apricot and will be keeping it just for its looks. ( if it flowers again that is )
Any clues on which it is ?

pic 1...the buds
pic 2...the flowers
pic 3...hiding behind the white suavoleons.

the stuff all over the plants is from the flowering gum which went mad that year and covered everything with it.

The suavoleons in the last pic is not a good brug here It has never grown any taller than 3 foot since 2008/9.
I put it in the ground where it still never grew so may toss it and put something nicer there.

Jean.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 12:04 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9093418

Lovely pictures ...Shaun I think V. Peach/Apricot is the same thing.

What a pretty colour you got out of yours Jean.
As we discussed earlier , I think we can use the colour injection from OSA to get some colour into the double whites, if that is what you would like to do.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 22, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9093436

Chrissy, I am just curious as to which brug that apricot one is . As it came from you, perhaps you know which it is.

I love the color. If it ever flowers again, I may breed with ti.

Interestingly, the comment about bees , Dianne, made me wonder why I never see them anywhere near any of my brugs.
I have bees around the garden by the hundreds , but they dont seem to go near the brug blooms.
I do see other insects venturing in the blooms though.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9093502

It is Old Apricot -as id ed by Alistair Jean. Very tough up here, hopefully it will get better for you, I guess we all want all the Brugs, but evidently some don't feel comfortable in the heat, some don't feel comfortable in the cold. A bit like us :-)
Our colours here never get the truly rich colour achieved in the cooler areas or the warmer areas.
So you win in some ways and lose in other ways.
In the end we must choose what works in our own gardens.
At the moment I am wondering which brugs will survive these swamp conditions I have here.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 22, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9093578

Jean, I am sure that it is Buck's Fizz and Pink Panther growing into each other that the bees love...
it's funny when Buck's Fizz almost closes during the day, the bees buzz like mad trying to get in or out...
When they are in flower as they are now, there isn't a flower that doesn't have bees...
If those two aren't in flower, then I have bees in the garden but nothing like the quantities...it's always been the same since they grew together.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 22, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9093584

Dianne, how interesting that double pod looks!

I really cannot imagine having a garden without 'Old Apricot' growing in it. A wonderful plant. The seedling "trial" with OA that I made was with seed taken from an open pollinated pod in 2000. Only six plants, all of which produced to my eye plants identical to the parent. These I gave away to friends. At the time, I did not count it remarkable that the seedlings should be anything other than almost identical to the pod parent. I simply presumed that this Brugmansia plant was a species and would therefore be self fertile...
OA remains a mystery.

In recent times, the best seedling I have had from OA is the x with 'Munchausen Pink'. This elegant white will hopefully be P&D free, recurrent and prolific in bloom.

Here are a few pics of OA and one of my OA x MP white seedling.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 22, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9093594

I think that I posted this before...it still makes me smile..

Very beautiful garden Wayne, OA is a gem...so is the Crepe Myrtle behind it.
That's a very nice white, love the flouncy corolla...

Good luck with those pods, Jean...

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 2:02 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9093629

Well there you go ...you see right there, that if they looked like OA then there may be OA babies floating around, I know mine is much older so it isn't an OA grandchild but there could be OA grandchildren all over the place. Your pictures are beautiful Wayne. That White is just lovely !

Dianne how cool are those double pods ...the journey continues ! Fingers crossed they make it huh ? You may have a whole new range of multi tendrilled lovelies imagine that !

Bees have always been all over my brugs ...I don't think they pollinate the Brugs here in my garden, though they might trigger false "pregnancy" by donating a few grains of pollen, thus triggering a mostly empty pod , but I have noticed many wasps and huge black butterflies this year, perhaps the moisture levels are contributing to the donors. Does it make the pollen more likely to stick ? (I think so). I don't know if it is good or bad, seeds is good, not knowing the background is not so good, but at least you know the mother. Extend the life of the sticky patch ? probably.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9093731

Chrissy all of my ""OA"" are older then 2000 i think i got the last one in 1999 so it is a little older then some modern crosses.
If some one has spare pollen that they can spare from there ID' OA via Alistair i would appreciate some to see which of mine is the true OA.
I will still grow some of the seed out to see what comes of it any way it may just throw back to something that it originally came from prior to the last cross to create it

i under stand that OA throws Look-a-like Siblings but thats OK with me also being ne i will see what Wayne saw or see something different in my seedling trials of 2012

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2012
12:10 AM

Post #9093748

I just asked because if it is a candida it will allow doubles. :-) (that is the way I understand it).
I would cross it to Knightii just to see if you will get that colour injection, might need to do it a couple of times seedling to seedling.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
2:39 AM

Post #9093783

Here is a seed pod on my OA (candida 'Peach')

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #9093802

Looks versicolor to me Shaun.
If they get fatter as they mature then more like OA pods.
(only judging by mine of course).
Great work with the crosses.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
3:17 AM

Post #9093804

Chrissy iv never had any other pods other then on aurea & Tantra to judge by so i have to go by all the information that you guys can offer im EXCITED by how many pods i will have in Spring and what to do with them all hahahaha ill be eating them not

but i will be planting quite a few out to see what happens with them

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #9093816

Hang in there ...Alistairs book isn't faraway it will no doubt have all the pod shapes etc in it.
Aurea Pods.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9093914

Jean Just like you i had problems with sanguinea 'Midas' & a mite infestation that would not go away,
so i took the radical step of cutting it back to about 18" tall and removed all foliage so that it could recover over the next few weeks and hopefully shoot back soon?
i have taken about 10 cuttings about 8-10" long so i may have some in spring if all goes well
i was very reluctant in giving it the chop but i did 1 stem first then it felt like it was the right think to do and in less then 10 cuts it was gone

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9094026

Never trust a bloke with a cutting implement ...they always get carried away. Ouchy !

I thought you might be interested in this
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/uploads/74012700_1202271643.JPG
those green hems and throats are carried through the genes.

chrissy (pushing myself away from the puter now) :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 23, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9094826

Shaun, if you saw my coldies you would laugh. They are getting taller but are very spindly . They look good when small but once they get that long skinny trunk, I wonder how they stand up.
Well they dont really, they need staking unlike the warmies which get thicker trunks straight away.
The tops where the growth i,s are all looking quite good now after the cooler weather and the mites seem to be disappearing.
I am hoping to see a lot more going on with them now that winter is sneaking up. Some of the sanguineas are now around 3' high.
There are even a couple that have put out lower small branches now.

My new brug flower has opened during the night.
( Super Pink x Apricot Queen )
There is no perfume as yet. You can see that the color will change soon. Maybe apricot or pink.
Quite a longish flower. The calyx looks funny because half of it fell off as the flower was pushing its way out.
So far, not too interesting.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9094870

Good luck with your new baby Jean ...can't wait to see the result.

I believe it is quite normal for the cold group to look spindly for a while so don't panic. Did you see the one Y at 5 months ?
WOW I can see why the interest in them.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9094898

Jean, I have noticed that they can be spindles
I have a few about 1 foot tall nothing talker
It was those dam mites that made me do it

Love the length of the bloom a versicolor influence in
It hope the color and fragrance comes throw
Strong (4 you
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 23, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9094995

Shaun, I have all my coldies staked now. I bought bamboo stakes and some really good plastic covered wire for ties.
I can cut it to the length I want and it is thick enough to just bend around the stems and easily moved higher as they grow taller.
No fiddly thin ties that need untwisting .
It was from the Cheap as Chips cheapie shop. I must get a lot more .
I also bought some plastic clips from my nice eBay lady . They are good for the larger stems and just squeeze open and shut.
Similar to orchid ones but much thinner.

I can just see a tinge of color on the brug flower. I hope it has color like its mother ,Super Pink.

Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9095302

It's here !!!!
Did anyone else get their copy early ?
OMG talk about heart flutters ♥¨`♥ ♥♥¨`♥ ♥♥¨`♥ ♥
It is just Stunning ! the pages are great quality, it has that gorgeous feel of a new Coffee Table Star.
I haven't had time to read a lot of it, already I see some questions are being answered. You know , the ones we were often talking about.
I emailed Alistair for permission to share a little preview (I haven't shown a lot, just a taste ) :-) he said I could soooo ...
recognize the lovely Brugs in the second picture ?

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 23, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9095310

Yikes just quickly as I can hear thunder ...heavy rain here (of course)
last pic shows it next to my copy of * A Vision of Eden *
They will make great mates ♥¨`♥ ♥♥¨`♥ ♥♥¨`♥ ♥
must turn off the puter until the storm passes.

Congratulations on a real work of Love Alistair,
A Brugmansia Masterpiece.

Edited to say ...the colours are bleached out due to my flash, the real colours are vibrant and delicious !
If you love Brugs you will love this book'.
If you love flowers, read this book and you will love Brugmansia ...

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 24, 2012 2:26 PM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9095357

Thanks Chrissy! MUCH credit due to Monika and Adolfo, the other authors :-)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9095383

I'm sure It won't be long till I also get mine sigh

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9095450

Well we survived the Storm ...it's quite cold and of course still very wet ! still light rain.

Gosh no one wanted to guess then ?
Ok, I am off to read my lovely book, would you believe I had visitors this arvo, unexpected but delightful, however I was dying to get into more reading ...
I am going to enjoy every minute, well perhaps not the insect/disease section so much.(though important of course).

Wayne I hope you got your book ...you are just going to just about faint ! :-)

Sorry you have to wait Shaun, but I promise it will be worth it.
You get to meet Alistair in person, so that will no doubt make up for it.
He was kind enough to sign this copy for me ...I am truly chuffed.
I have a few signed books ...this will be my favourite of course.

chrissy :)
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
2:36 AM

Post #9095458

Yes Mmmmmmmmmmmm wish i was in Sydney to have it that much sooner hahahah
I will be getting Alistair to sign my book in person which will be a very important day for me and and the collections that we all have,
Dose it have much infor on Australia and the growing breading & development of the Genus in Australia ??? Dose it Dose it>>????
Im sure you can feel me pecking over your shoulder like a naughty boy wanting to have a read at the same time

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9095551

Yes it does but I can't tell, that wouldn't be very nice ...don't worry there will be plenty to interest you :-)

Meanwhile my eyes are hanging out of my head it's been quite a day/evening.

Tomorrow is a sombre day for us all, so I bid everyone goodnight.

Lest we forget

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9096186

I am very pleased with my Mango Cornet. After 6 days it is still sitting up very nicely.
No wilting in the rain & wind and I do like the way it sits more out than just hanging down.
definitely a permanent member of my garden.

Super Pink x Apricot Queen is still looking very plain. As she is in the ground, she can stay but nothing fancy there.
The camera shows a tinge of color but not there to my eyes. Maybe later when the sun comes out.

pic 1 ...Mango Cornet this morning
pic 2...Super Pink x Apricot Queen.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 24, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9096463

Jean, your pics didn't go thru...please repost...

Here is the result of the little insignificant bud that I mentioned a couple of weeks ago..
I know that the pod parent was Angel's Swingtime, but until I find the tag, which is in the pot, it could be any one of 5 pollen parents...
It is a small bud but once the first corolla is out, they just keep on coming...there are 3 but the 3rd doesn't drop

The difference in the colour is because some pics are facing out from the veranda and the others are looking in
so the light is different...
At night it is at it's most beautiful because the 2 lower corollas flare out like a tutu, similar to the way Frosty Pink does..
which has given it a working name of The Dancer.
I am amazed at how neatly the lowest corolla fits into the one above, at night it is easier to see, but the points (corolla teeth
only very short) look as though they were designed to sit there...no tangle with these skirts.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9096507

* The Dancer * is very different isn't it ?

Like a tiered Frosty Pink ...lovely and quite unique compared to the doubles we have seen so far.
Do you mean it closes during the day and only flares at night ? or does it stay open during the day ?
Is it Pink or Apricot/Orange do you think.

Congratulations Dianne ...Lovely !!!!

Jean your pictures are missing ...we would love to see them.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9096510

Jean, yes no pic's please repost.

Dianne, TD is looking very stunning i see what you mean about the bottom skirt snug perfectly in the upper skirt the color "is it a pale pink " cos that makes it more adorable to
So this will take pride of place near the front or back door im sure where u can see it from in side the house,
What is any fragrance ATM is like or is it just to immature

It friggen freezzinnnng here cold and wet been out looking and checking all those woolly pods patting & talking to them also to make sure they will continue to grow strong and healthy

It may also be that i have Tantra X.Ivoire but still a bit immature at the moment to say

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9096517

It's cold but sunny here Shaun, keep patting those dear little pods, me too.
Tell them to hurry and mature before the frost comes, sadly I think it's coming early this year.
Fingers crossed - there should be many hundreds of beauties from all around Australia this year.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9096529

Dianne I hope you are dusting The Dancer ...what else do you have out at the moment ?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9096606

Sorry everyone. Not the fault of DG, just me forgetting to click where I should.

Still raining here which the garden is loving. My brugs are so fresh & green now after the long dry and having to drink just urky town water.

I found 3 buds coming on one of the smaller Knightiis down the back. It hasnt flowered before .
Also a bud on one of the Arboreas on the front veranda.

I am pleased to see that the flowers I pollinated are mostly hanging on. Some fell off but I should get some pods.
There are a couple that look like they will last on the small aurea Lucas.
I dont know what the pollen parents are as when I was pollinating GHA , not wanting to waste a bit of pollen I wiped the remains on the aureas flowers.
I didnt think to note which, so we'll see what comes , if anything.

Here are the pics to go with post above.

pic i... Mango Cornet this morning
pic 2 ... Super Pink x Apricot Queen, also this morning
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9096625

Jean WOW love the shape of SP x.AQ it's stunning hope for you the coloration comes throw in the spring when the weather warms back up

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 24, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9096652

I agree with Shaun re the shape of S P x A Q Jean ...great breeder there ! Oh what fun you are all going to have with your brugs :-)

Last couple of pics from the new Brug Bible
Guess which one is my favourite chapter -we will make them like that one day (mind you the History, descriptions etc are wonderful).
Please excuse chopping bits off because of the flash. So glossy ! Pictures are a little bleached by the flash.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 3:17 PM

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9096708

I wonder if HYBRIDIZING is the section that you are most interested in as we are learning what to do & how to do it to achieve the same type of results as those in EU & US, but with our own Unique twist to the Genus and cultivar's

Dose it have a section on OA and Knightii which will give us more information then what we already know??????
all the pic's you have teased us with are Delicious and i cant wait, could you hear me sighing over your shoulder lasy night while you were reading it??????
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9096711

The book looks lovely Chrissy, but I'll have to wait for it to get into the library, I'm afraid.
Well worth the money, but just way beyond me.
I have no doubt that such a great book will make its way into libraries.
I will be telling my library all about it & recommending they buy a copy . ( with me first in line of course)

Congratulations to all the authors, especially our own Aussie, Alistair..
It has taken such a lot of work but I am sure it will be much read & appreciated over time.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 24, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9096728

The Dancer isn't going to show me it's stigma, it's well hidden inside the anthers, so I have used the pollen on
the Angel's Swingtime x Mango Crush flower and Frosty Pink.
It stays as open as pictured during the day Chrissy, then flares out at night...
The perfume is lemony but sweet, everything is lemony here of late...
It is a definite pink in the light, but in shade the melon colour comes in...

I had a lovely pod on FFA, but a big fat slug ate thru it overnight...bugger.
All 32 of my little ones under 6" had a day in the rain in deep buckets that protected them from the wind..
They all look revitalized now...one thing about the rain the babies love it.

Jean, the Mango Cornet coloured up really well, didn't it...nice one to use your OE pollen on next season...for that elusive double orange/apricot...what colour will that SP x AQ turn out to be?
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
3:38 AM

Post #9096844

Dianne, Please say hello to you Grand Niece, she is growing day by day
it looks like it's going to be a very healthy pod

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 25, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9097493

Good luck with that pod Shaun, it should be a beauty !

Those darned slugs huh ? I found snails 6ft up in the seedlings @#$%^again, so sorry the slug got that pod Dianne, good luck with the dusted ones.

It's very cold here, it dropped down to 5C night before last ...weather predictions are ridiculous ! out came the extra doonas.
frost won't be too far away :( Oh Well !!!! it's a gardeners lot.

chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9097726

Thanks Jean... :)

Hope the library is cooperative!!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 25, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9097759

Ahhh, I'm trying not to look too much at those photos of the book because I'm afraid that I'll feel like I've read it before I get a chance to buy it--I want to discover it for myself LOL Congratulations, Alistair! You should make sure your local library has a copy too. (A self-published mate of mine did all he could to get a copy of his novel into as many libraries as he could.)
There are flowers and pods all over the country it looks like from these postings--too many to go into--but Dianne your new double is an interesting one, isn't it? Can't quite see what colour it is--sort of like Elizabeth Taylor's eyes: were they green? were they violet?--and who knows if it will retain those distinct skirts, but it's a thrill to wait and find out.
Night temps are plummeting--5 degrees last night!--with frost likely to make its first appearance in about 6 weeks or so, and while it's not good for buds or pods, I don't care: I'm just thrilled to be free of the wretched humidity. And sun burning a hole in my head whenever I step out of the shade. And mosquitoes. And flies. And caterpillars and hopping insects and an array of unidentified chewing bugs. And neverending watering. And weeds, weeds, weeds, including the wretched grass which you can almost see regrowing after mowing. And terrifying storms. Plus, now I get the chance to cook real meals again and sleep properly at night :-) Despite the horribly cold nights here, winter is a much-needed respite, for me anyway.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 10:28 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 25, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9097943

I love Winter cestrum ...I meant because here, we feel like we just didn't have any Spring or Summer and we need a little Sun for the health of both people and plants, but I certainly understand re disliking much about Summer. Autumn is lovely, it's my favourite time really, I would have liked a slightly extended one because we finally see the Sun ... having pods to ripen, I want more of it , but it's not meant to be.There is always next time. I hope you get your respite. :-)
I have soup in the Crockpot as we speak, the wasps seem to have gone at last, but the snails and slugs are another story.

Sorry to make you possibly feel like you have read the book, you haven't, it's thick ,heavy and full of beautiful photographs you have never seen before as, well as all the other things that make a great Brugmansia History/Botanical Reference Book ...it is truly beautiful both in words and pictures.

So far the pods are hanging on, so fingers crossed for every pod that you are all waiting on to flourish and produce healthy seeds. We can all dream about the Spring to come and the births of many more gorgeous Australian beauties.

chrissy

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 25, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9097965

Respite started about 6 weeks ago, Chrissy :-) Spring was my favourite season in Melb but it's definitely autumn here--wish it was extended, as you say. I'd be happy to dispense with summer and winter altogether and just have an extended autumn and spring. But I still prefer winter to summer here, no question. (It was the opposite in Melb.) Of course, I hope everyone who wants/needs sun gets it. (Mind you, our winter days are lovely, usually sunny and dry and mild, as it is today.)
As for the book photos, post away--of course you want to share!!--I'm just not going to click on the photos for an enlarged view LOL
From now on I'm going to concentrate on trying to get my existing seedlings to flower as I've simply spread myself too thin (by sowing too many seeds). I think it's a phase we all go thru, and I hope (fingers crossed) that I'm moving past it ...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 25, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9098016

Lol Haven't we all ? yes me too, it's what we were working for, the Genes from afar mixing it with the old aussie classics.I am sure there are hundreds in everyone's garden by now.

No more pictures ...I just wanted to give everyone a glimpse.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 25, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9098022

chrissy100 wrote:
No more pictures ...I just wanted to give everyone a glimpse.

I can hear the howls of protest from thousands of km away!
Please post away--I'm sure other people are salivating over them.
Don't mind me--I'm just going to avert my eyes LOL

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 25, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9098048

It wouldn't be fair to the Authors, I asked permission to show a few, so I was allowed, the rest ? well they are in the book.
We will have to just be content with pics like we have here (pretty good I reckon) and look at the new doubles coming through.
It's fantastic !
I talk to my pods on the doubles here every day, wish I could hold an umbrella over them. It isn't every 2 hours any more though, guess I must be slowing down. :)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 25, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9098069

cestrum_SEQ wrote:
Night temps are plummeting--5 degrees last night!--with frost likely to make its first appearance in about 6 weeks or so, and while it's not good for buds or pods, I don't care: I'm just thrilled to be free of the wretched humidity. And sun burning a hole in my head whenever I step out of the shade. And mosquitoes. And flies. And caterpillars and hopping insects and an array of unidentified chewing bugs. And neverending watering. And weeds, weeds, weeds, including the wretched grass which you can almost see regrowing after mowing. And terrifying storms.
This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 10:28 AM

I gather that you don't work for the Queensland tourist bureau, cestrum...lol

Shaun, look after my grand-neice she is going to produce something special...congrats on the pollination..well done
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 25, 2012
9:56 PM

Post #9098082

chrissy100 wrote:It wouldn't be fair to the Authors
chrissy

Fair enough.

Seachanger wrote:
I gather that you don't work for the Queensland tourist bureau, cestrum...lol

Perhaps I should apply for a job with the Vic tourism authority LOL Since giving up on trying to grow tender tropicals--most killed after a heavy frost my second winter here--I've planted out the canopy and decided that what grows, grows; and the rest can just die! Instead of wringing my hands over the possibility of frost, I'm just going to enjoy the reprieve from humidity and all the other benefits that winter brings here.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 26, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #9098133

Back to the singles, reliable, beautiful and tough...

Here is Frosty Pink and Maya...love them both.
My R.Frosty Pinks are all in flower and some of the flowers are almost 30cms across at night when they really open up...
I have 2 Mayas in pots and they have grown very well, those striped buds are so noticeable as the bushes get
larger and they are very attractive...the flowers in the pic haven't coloured yet.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 26, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #9098144

I feel a bit guilty in a way Dianne, I recall how thrilled I was with Frosty Pink when I saw it for the first time (and many times since), She kind of gets left out now because we are so used to her, always very giving. I let one loose in the garden and it became such a huge plant (tree really) that covers itself in those lovely blooms, so many blooms you can't possibly count them. It came from Judy ...I always think of her when I look out of the Window at those lovely things. I am guilty sometimes of taking it for granted sometimes as I rush past to look at one of the more Exotic and new Brugs. I will remember to tell her I love her tomorrow :) because I do.

The Maya blooms are really lovely ...the Axelrose are just the same bloom of course, they go such a lovely colour. I am quite excited about the colouration on the Axelrose pod it's just like the leaf. Love the fragrance too.

A lovely single is always a joy !

chrissy

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9098197

Dianne I also cant wait for Maya, Mayan Magic or Alexrose to bloom so i can see it in it's full glory. Dear Frosty Pink is always on my mind thinking what she can be crossed with and crossed back like OA X.FP & FP x.OA EP x.FP & FP x.EP then crossing them back on each other to creat a new and distinct variety

I have White Ruff as a major Player in my yard and he is still in bloom even after 3 days of wet, wet weather and a load of flowers falling there are still more to come

I have just recieved from Monika Gottschalk
Autumn Treasure X.Marbach there were about 100seed how generous she is with her seed
if any one wants a few seed PM me

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 26, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9098402

I thought this was a great little blog, I know we don't bring our brugs in for the winter but if yours are to remain in pots this is a way to keep them happy ...just look at the trunk of this brug.

http://www.lynandmalc.co.uk/repotting_brugmansiasl.htm

edited to say ...wow Shaun ! ...nice cross.

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 27, 2012 12:58 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 26, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9098988

Beautiful pics Dianne. FP is certainly very pretty. Mine didnt flower this year as I moved it out to the orchard in the ground and the mites ate the darn thing badly. I am potting up a new cutting to put back down near all the others.

Cant wait for my Maya to flower. , shes very pretty.

Good link Chrissy. I have been doing that to my other plants for years so had no worries chopping the brugs when I repotted them.

Great seeds Shaun, I hope you get something lovely from them.

Alistair , if you are still looking in...I can see Mango Cornet from the window here and it is still looking very pretty except for going a little brown around the edges now.
I am so pleased with it. Such a strong flower to be holding on in this weather for over a week now.
No wimpy fellow this one. I love him.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 27, 2012
12:35 AM

Post #9099566

It's a pretty Brug Jean.
It's been a lovely day here, warm kind Sun (what a tease!), crisp coolness in the morning and after 4 but so lovely in between, Autumn ahhhhhh Love love love.

So I find one huge pod on PP and the pod looking a bit iffy, I was sure the seeds would be duds because some were darker than others. I peeled a dark one and a lighter one and found healthy seeds inside both.
I know P P seeds will be everywhere but I did have some great blooms happening at the time these seeds were donated.
I will grow a few out, if anyone wants some d/mail me, but I expect most will be going to the BGI seedbank due to all of us having P P probably by the hundreds this season.Picture shows the two coloured corks peeled and there they are, cute little seeds.
I hope everyone enjoyed their day, don't forget, if you have excess seeds donate them to BGI don't throw them away. They are loving Shaun's donated babies over the pond.

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 27, 2012 6:35 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 27, 2012
1:11 AM

Post #9099571

Chrissy, I was going to send over to BGI, so I had a look at the charges...
The way I read it was :-
250gm = $10.50 airmail
250 - 500gm = $17.25 airmail
Over the 500gm was the surcharge cestrum told us about, an extra $9
And we have to have a green customs form for letters or parcels containing other than correspondence...
Has anyone else looked the charges up?

I must weigh up a few pkts tomorrow and see how many for 250grms...

Did you send them this way, Shaun?
If not don't tell me...

Chrissie, the pics are missing...lol

By sea was only a couple of dollars cheaper..

This message was edited Apr 27, 2012 7:14 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 27, 2012
2:14 AM

Post #9099588

oooops thanks Dianne, hubby walked in and distracted me. :-) he had the nerve to want dinner lol.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 27, 2012
2:26 AM

Post #9099593

Yes Shaun tell us how you did it, I think he just sent them, but I can't really remember.
I might wait until some more ripen because I have heaps of pods that will ripen in the next month. Lots of others that will hopefully make it through Winter as well. I am happily surprised to see these ripening, I was sure they would take forever due to lack of sun.
I think they are mainly looking for Aurea but will be happy with any of our vigorous ones.
Did you see Shaun's seeds sprouting over there already, very quick.
Good on you Shaun.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9099626

Dianne & Chrissy, I just up and sent just filled out the dec at the post office and off it went
i couldn't even tell you how much it was but it was not much probably less then $10 to BGI

im sure there is other ways of getting them there like Dianne has stated but what the heck just send them

Yes Chrissy my seed are very strong Buggers and i have noticed this time round that my DPG & aurea(form) are very strong and vigorous cant wait to see them in bloom

I hope all are well and the rain is not over whelming you

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 27, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9099716

Thanks Shaun ...I thought you said you just up and sent them, when you have a minute could you tell us what you called the seeds on the declaration. They are very eager little things aren't they. :)

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9099727

Chrissy I think i wrote on the slip Flower seed
that was all i think i wrote don't really remember but when iv sent any other seed recently OS i have just writen Brugmansia seed just so i don't get confused.
I think it's just what you want to write to get it throw but writing Brugmansia will suffice
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9100328

Glad you are having success with Mango Cornet Jean :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9100819

Hi Alistair what an exciting time for you right now, I hope your beautiful book sells out on it's first print and you need a reprint very soon. Love it to pieces. :-)

Hi everyone looks like everyone has been busy enjoying the lovely Autumn Sun,
I hope so.

Dianne I have just been admiring your pictures at BGI, stunning, congratulations,
I sense a real Brug Explosion ...not only here but all over the World !!!
♫ .♥.•* ★¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ ♫

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdPJ9BtqK7w

chrissy

This message was edited Apr 28, 2012 8:30 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 28, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9101613

Thanks Chrissy,
Here is The Dancer this morning, still going strong but a definite melon colour now...
Only PP,BF, RFP and The Dancer are in flower now. Luckily I have 3 of the RFP, 2 in pots...
The Dancer looks lovely with the morning sunlight on it...
To the left of the top, you can see the new bud just peeping thru.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 28, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9101652

She is so lovely , Dianne.
I can see her dancing in Rio with Senorita Rosada..
Jean
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9101664

Dianne AST =the Dancer is a very beautiful Triple flower and is a true Keeper
i hope it gets better with age
love the color and i can see the new bud forming have you pollinated it with any thing>>>>?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9101666

Beautiful !
♫ .♥.•* ★¨`*•♫.•´*.¸.•´♥ ♫ dancing in the streets !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdvITn5cAVc

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9101850

brrrr nasty cold wind come up out there !
It had better leave my Ivoire and Tintarella buds alone.
Don't hurt my pods!
Speaking of which ...two on Fernado (possible three but the curly ones are not usually good , only half fertilized usually).
The Axerose one (pod) is truly beautiful ...lovely green on green, not fully visible in the picture, it may be full of albinos but I have seen Axelrose crosses so it is possible it may produce some good seedlings.
Pic 1) Axelrose pod, 2) Fernando x ? pods 4" long ...fingers crossed !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 28, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9101959

No Shaun, the stigma was tightly packed inside the anthers, and I didn't want to ruin the flower by taking out the anthers, in case I damaged it...but I have used the pollen on a few...very fluffy too.

Chrissy, you mentioned a curly pod, I thought that my Double White pod had been damaged because there is a mark on the top...and that was why it was curly, this is one that I pollinated..
Could you look at this pod and tell me if that is what you mean by curly?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9101972

Chrissy you may think that it is a little hard to see you are right but there is a distinct colouration on the pod of Alexrose you probably will get a few albino from it but not enough to concern with.
I have just had 'White Ruff' X.'Aztec Gold' germinate and there are 2 albino in the pot and there were 10 seed that i put in to germinate..

Thats funny Dianne that is like a little piggy tail and yes it's curtly...what did you do with the rest of it cook it up for sunday lunch yuckkkky...{4 legged meat not for me} a pollo-pescetarian which i am i eat chicken & Seafood

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9101986

Dianne from my experience only, I find the curly ones only have filled corks in a small one sided quantity.
That does not mean that yours will be the same as mine. Smaller curly ones sometimes just drop off that's my experience, yours looks ok, no yellowing or anything, don't worry. :-)

Yes Shaun the pod is very pretty, even if the seeds are no good I love the pretty pod, it was and is ... quite a surprise plant since it threw out a Maya shoot too.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 28, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9102029

Finally after a slow start, I got the potting done.
I had a dozen brugs eager to get into big pots , so they are done and happy down in the shadehouse..
Some are warmies & some coldies. I still have about 10 littel ones in the greenhouse and seeds germinating.

I bought 6 of the newly potted ones out to the open shadehouse near the back door. I have a lone sanguinea there that has out performed all the others, so maybe the new ones will follow him.

It was so cold this morning, I was not going to do anything, but it warmed up enough after lunch for me to be outside without my jumper.
Now its time I had a cuppa.

Too soon for me to be saying I have definite pods but just looking at the ovaries hanging on , I might say maybe a dozen could be pods.

Shaun, DPG is still being stubborn about opening. She doesnt want to get her tootsies cold and I dont blame her.

Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 28, 2012
10:01 PM

Post #9102036

Concerned about my pod, so I forgot to say that the Axelrose pod is striped like the Maya bud...I know they are related so maybe Ar has a striped bud too?...I haven't seen Ar in the flesh...

I have been repotting some kinder size Brugs and noticed that I have 3 Sam x NOL coming along nicely...I hope that they are like NOL...that's a really pretty one..

One that will flower next Spring, that I'm really looking forward to is:-
( Morgansonne x The Chief) x Berkonigen...just looking at the cross conjures up orange, lemon and melon..
it will probably be white..lol
It was one of Patricia Watson's and the seeds were so tiny, that I thought that I would have Buckley's hope of getting them to grow...But grow they did, only taking a couple of weeks to germinate and out of 7 seeds, 4 are ok..

What particular cross is everyone else waiting on...that they have high hopes for...I know that we have high hopes for them all, but just one in particular that is your favourite cross...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2012
10:26 PM

Post #9102046

I am looking forward to many seeds and seedlings from cestrum to bloom,also from Wayne and Shaun,4 seedlings from Jean too.
I have a few Sam crosses I am particularly looking forward to. Love and looking forward to the Earth Angel crosses too.
Too many to list really. Out of all of the Brugs I like those crosses the best (sorry I know they are pink, but they are not just any old Pink).
Lots of them at all different stages ...even have my first 2nd lot of coldies popping up now (thanks Shaun ), so it may get to bloom before the heat next year.
Most of all I am looking forward to flowering my own crosses, now that ... will be exciting.
It has been so delightful to see some of my babies starting to bloom in other gardens.
I am watching cestrum's knightti babies and chat to them frequently.
The ultimate for me will be one of my Heart of Gold x Twilight Time seedlings giving me my swirly whirly white double. I want in essence Twilight Time in white :-) and I will have it !!!!

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9102049

Forgot to say my Axelrose pod is the extended blotched almost lime green on a dark green pattern, I like it very much, perhaps even more than Maya, but it's my personal taste.
Your seedlings sound great, My Fire Fighter Angel looks just like NOL, which is what I hoped for (just not loving the great height of it), Sam is shorter so that may fix that. I love Sam anything so I think it will be great.

Jean good luck with yours ...I am looking forward to seeing your next beautiful double and those coldies.
We need those coldies to make us smile through Winter.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9102053

(aurea Yellow x.DDR) x.DDR) X.Birgit) this is the one i am most in love with as it has a double hit of DDR + aurea in it. This one come to me from Edna and i have about 5/10 seedlings that should be plenty to get me through
i have so many seedlings if any bloom quicker then any other im grateful for that also i am hoping for all of them to come through at the same time then ill be crying for months and i will be blind with camera rage and listing headache's which would be fun hahah not

the Pod parent or Pollen parent that i desire most is Berkonigen i love the color and form of it im sure if it's crossed with a deep pink it will keep in those colors and then breed back in to itself to get the color deeper and possibly in to the reds???

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9102057

Oh Shaun I thought I was the only one who suffered Brug obsession,
You are soooo funny :-)

♥‿♥ ♥‿♥ ♥‿♥ ♥‿♥
Love my Brugs too (probably toooo much ) ♥‿♥

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 28, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #9102061

I am crossing all finger s& toes that some of my nearly pods turn into real pods . I want them all on GHA as I think he has the best hardiness and perfume of any of the brugs I have . ( MC & BB run a close second to him )
I can imagine a dainty child of GHA & Senorita Rosada, just dancing around in my head.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9102069

Imagining and dreaming is half the fun Jean, I think they would make a great couple.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 28, 2012
11:49 PM

Post #9102079

Jean, just you wait until Ivoire flowers and takes off...he will be your 2nd favourite, just gotta luv him.
I call him "him" because he is so robust...
He might like to dance with Senorita Rosada too...he's danced with a few in my garden...there are pods all over him...

I love Berkonigen too, Shaun...gorgeous colour...
Yes, Chrissy the Sam's are great..

One thing that I am noticing on eBay...there was a time when most sellers had a double as pod parent and whatever as pollen parent...

Now a lot of crosses are singles as pod parents and the double is the pollen parent...
I'm wondering if growers are rediscovering the single after the double has been the main aim for a few years now...maybe they are trying to get more colours into the singles, I can't see how they can improve the singles..to me Pink Panther is perfect, from the bud to the flower and all the growth in between...and there are a lot that look just as good...

What does everyone else think and have you noticed the shift?...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
12:15 AM

Post #9102090

Dianna unfortunantly i can not help in this matter as i have only just started to buy from sellers from not just ebay buy direct from the growers bypassing ebay but mentioning that it was where i found them.

I am now more interested in crosses that are ie: a x.B ,,, and then reversed B x.a so that i have the parents as both pod & pollen parents making the cross a stronger one in the breeding of the plants

what do you think when it comes to this idea or is it just having to many of the same variety at the end of the day????????

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 29, 2012
12:25 AM

Post #9102091

I don't really look Dianne, perhaps next season I may tread the evil Ebay trail.
But only for a couple of specific Pod parent crosses.
Once you have read the Brug Bible you will be armed with great knowledge re Hybridizing.
Many Brug Purists seek to go back to the original Brugs, as found in their homeland.
There is something very beautiful about a perfect vigorous single.
Once the double urge has been sated, yes, it's back to the past grass roots. Rothkirch is much sought as we know.
Pure Aurea etc, all much sought, it's not hard to see why when we look at our old unkillables here.
People are looking for beautiful whites now ... there seems to be a lack of great whites due to it being the main colour in the beginning of the quest for colour (most ending in the compost heap no doubt).
I think if you want a good double, I would still want a double pod parent, but it isn't as essential as it used to be due to the many doubles in the singles backgrounds these days. Always look to the background and results of the brug cross you choose.
It's something we learn as we go along.
Look for the scents too, some Brugs cancel out much of the scent.
These are my thoughts, you won't need my thoughts much longer, soon you will have the Brug Bible, then we can just enjoy posting our experiences and pretty pictures.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 29, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9102094

Dianne since you have beautiful Brug Pics would you mind starting the next Brug thread with your favourite pics please :)
It's been great, but the thread is long thanks everyone your input has made it special as usual :-)

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 29, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9103393

New thread started, come on over...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255281
Thanks for the contributions..
I bet the link doesn't highlight...we'll see.

Try again...http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255281
It hates me...

This message was edited Apr 30, 2012 5:42 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 29, 2012
11:59 PM

Post #9103394

here we go:)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1255281/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America