Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

April 19, 2012
10:02 PM

Post #9089704

I'm really new at bird watching, just recently started. These are TERRIBLE pictures (sorry), my camera was very old (it's been replaced since).

I have a few guesses but I'm not sure. A male Downy, An Acorn Woodpecker, A Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker? I know the pictures are poor, but I'm anxious to know what it is.

Thanks!!!

Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9089824

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - note the mottled grey underparts (white in Hairy & Downy Woodpeckers) and ather 'untidy' white barring on the upperparts (neat bands of clear white spots in Hairy & Downy Woodpeckers).

No need to worry about Acorn Woodpecker, you have to go a looong way further west to get them!

Resin

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9089933

I don't have anything to add about the bird, but I want to say I am thrilled to always meet someone new to bird watching. We began about a year ago and have learned a lot, but when we see birders who can ID a bird in fast flight, I know we have quite a ways to go. And we are not too far apart with you being my southern neighbour. :)

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
3:11 PM

Post #9091922

[quote="Chillybean"]... when we see birders who can ID a bird in fast flight, I know we have quite a ways to go.[/quote]

The main trick there is to learn their flight calls. It can seem like magic to non-birders when you see a little dot high overhead and can call out the species by recognising its calls ;-)

Resin
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

April 21, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9092337

Thanks Resin!

Yes Chillybean I AM your southern neighbor *waves*. I only got interested in the birds about a few weeks back. I'm very VERY VERY new and know very little. I have been reading lots of books and forums and learning a lot. Thanks for the welcome.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America