CLOSED: Need Bird ID

Palmyra, MO

I'm really new at bird watching, just recently started. These are TERRIBLE pictures (sorry), my camera was very old (it's been replaced since).

I have a few guesses but I'm not sure. A male Downy, An Acorn Woodpecker, A Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker? I know the pictures are poor, but I'm anxious to know what it is.

Thanks!!!

Thumbnail by sprout13 Thumbnail by sprout13
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - note the mottled grey underparts (white in Hairy & Downy Woodpeckers) and ather 'untidy' white barring on the upperparts (neat bands of clear white spots in Hairy & Downy Woodpeckers).

No need to worry about Acorn Woodpecker, you have to go a looong way further west to get them!

Resin

(Zone 5a)

I don't have anything to add about the bird, but I want to say I am thrilled to always meet someone new to bird watching. We began about a year ago and have learned a lot, but when we see birders who can ID a bird in fast flight, I know we have quite a ways to go. And we are not too far apart with you being my southern neighbour. :)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from Chillybean :
... when we see birders who can ID a bird in fast flight, I know we have quite a ways to go.

The main trick there is to learn their flight calls. It can seem like magic to non-birders when you see a little dot high overhead and can call out the species by recognising its calls ;-)

Resin

Palmyra, MO

Thanks Resin!

Yes Chillybean I AM your southern neighbor *waves*. I only got interested in the birds about a few weeks back. I'm very VERY VERY new and know very little. I have been reading lots of books and forums and learning a lot. Thanks for the welcome.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images