Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carolina Gardening: First peony to bloom

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9090856

Even with the mild winter, my peonies are growing well.

Bowl of Beauty Peony

Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9091255

Drooling all over the keyboard here, it is just beautiful!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9091350

It is a showoff, lol. Bib alert! Will post more pics when other cultivars bloom.-)
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9091778

Oh my! That is gorgeous! Definitely want to see more!
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9091941

Do you know if Lowes in Summerville is marketing peonies? I think they would well in your area. Hard to believe such a gorgeous, delicate flower is cold hardy to zone 2a!
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9092147

I've tried peonys from time to time and they all just wither away because of the heat.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9092226

Well you have your beautiful gingers to look forward to. With your 2012 zone 9a winter, they should be especially vigorous this season. Looking forward to pics.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9132390

Disappointed to report that none of my other peonies bloomed. A few had buds, but they turned black and never opened. Hoping the mild winter was the culprit. Will be moving many next fall, and positioning them higher so they are exposed to winter cold.

On the other hand, my shrimp plants are blooming like crazy and my acanthus is blooming for the first time since I planted it 5 yrs ago.

Persian shield also survived last winter.

Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation   Thumbnail by donnacreation

mrstedger
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9137545

Beautiful! I love the doubles, drool.
I was worried about the heat zapping my peonies too, so I planted them in a mostly shaded area under a tree and they're really thriving and blooming well in their third year.
My neighbor has her peonies in full scorching roadside sun and they aren't as bushy or flowery despite the fact that they are older than mine.

Thumbnail by mrstedger   Thumbnail by mrstedger

donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

May 25, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9138153

Yours are beautiful, too. I planted some in shade about 5 yrs ago, but they never bloomed for me. 2 yrs ago I noticed my sister in law had a single petal peony growing happily in full blazing sun. The bush was quite large and loaded with blooms - I was amazed.

I plant everything in containers to protect from voles, and I know some were planted too deeply. I'm hoping that, combined w/such a mild winter, prevented my others from blooming.

Lowe's marketed them heavily here last year and this year, and I now have 5 or 6 different varieties. I also noticed this year that neither Lowes nor HD are marketing phoenix palms. Good thing, since they are absolutely not cold hardy in my zone 8a.

Thanks for the feedback!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America