Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: Sad News

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 14, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 21, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9091641

I had 13 lemon cuckoo orpingtons eggs under orp first time broody,they stated hatching on day 21 so today was day 23 so I opened up her cage and was going to let her and the chicks out,well she came out and no chicks,3 had hatched and she must have smothered them,they were dead and none of the o thers hatched.I think this is the last time I get shipped eggs getting to expensive when you get no chicks.So dissapointed wanted them so bad and sold 6 of my hens tuesday to make more room in my coop.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 21, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9091831

That is sad indeed! Broodies are usually good mothers.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9092270

Aww darn it...Not a good week for our chicken family, huh?
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 22, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9092476

No its not,I am still so upset over this,and the broody is still looking for chicks.I took her broody cage out and she is still all fluffed up and calling for her babies.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9093021

Well, don't beat yourself up over it.. It was a double gamble.. First time broody and shipped eggs.. I'm so sorry. :( such a drag.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9093049

so sorry. I know how frustratiing it is buying shipped eggs
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 16, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9126086

I was able to get a pair of Lemon Cuckoo Orp chicks hached out of a doz..back in April.. I was told they are not related to each other so hope to get babies hatched from this pair..
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 16, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9126257

Oh I hope you can to!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9128852

My next order of hatching eggs will be picked up at their farm. They are located in Kempner,Tx! My daddy and I are making a trip to go get some more eggs from her..lol..
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9143251

I'm sorry to read this. I have a broody light brahma hen. She was sitting on the nesting box which is a milk crate faithfully. We have 5 or 6 other boxes in the coop but for some reason all the hens want to lay in this one box. Some days there would be two other hens crammed onto the box with the broody hen. Sometimes they'd knock her off and she'd come out screaming and crying till they laid their eggs then she'd run and get back on them. Hubby caught her off the nest briefly and took the 16 eggs that were there. It started all over again so instead of so much mayhem in the coop he picked her and the milk crate of eggs up and put them inside a smaller coop so she can be locked up by herself. It has a screen on one side so she can look out and see the other birds and they can see her. We'll leave her there till the eggs hatch. I hope the babies will be able to get out of that milk crate after they hatch and she doesn't smother them. We'll have to keep an eye open and hope it all works out. Any advice would be appreciated. She has her own waterer and food in this area. She seems very happy so far. This is day 6 for her. At least her feathers have a chance to grow back in from rooster rapes. :)
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9143464

Think I read yesterday that chicks can live two to three days on what they get from the eggs when they hatch. So, after they are born there will be no rush to get them out immediately.

Will we get to see pictures?

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

May 29, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9143593

Light_for_Jesus wrote:Think I read yesterday that chicks can live two to three days on what they get from the eggs when they hatch. So, after they are born there will be no rush to get them out immediately.

Will we get to see pictures?

Thats true,they suck the yolk into the belly so they will have food and water for two to three days.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 29, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9143618

I thought the concern was that the chicks might get sat on and squashed.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 30, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9145046

so sad...so sad
Loon
AuGres, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 1, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9148211

For sure we'll take pictures. All my birds are white brahmas except for one rooster who is dark. I forget now what he is. He was a free "fancy" bird. So, if the chickens come out white they were fathered by Big Bird and if they are dark their father is Steadman. :) Hubby takes treats to her and she is at some point eating and drinking but he said she sits so quiet and trancelike. I think she's glad not to have to deal with the other birds but is still with them. I really didn't want more birds but nature takes it course. I just hope nobody else goes broody on me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America