Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plumerias: cold damage

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 6, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9091722

Is there anything I can do to save a Princess Victoria plumeria were the main growing tip got damaged from cold temps?

Please let me know if I can cut the tip off were it might possibly branch out when it get warmer. I grew it from seed, thats the reason why I want to save it...

Inform me please if you can!

Thanx guys & Ladies
BARRY
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9092759

It is possible. I have done it personally. Cutting the tip off is exactly what I did. Just be sure to cut off all the damaged stem.

I never paid attention to where the new growth came from. Maybe someone else can say. Can the stem be pruned at a certain point to ensure the new growth to be on the outside? The way a Rose can be pruned above a leaf on the outside so the new growth comes from the leaf base just below the cut, keeping an open growing plant.

I know I've gone a bit off topic. Just something I was thinking.

David
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9093296

Well thank you David!! So your saying that you've tried this on Plumeria before?

Barry
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9093726

yep. Two tips on one plant froze three years ago. They both only grew a single branch from the point of the cut. Pretty much pointing the same direction as the original stem, just offset a little. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in. Sorry about the confusion with the roses. Good Luck!

David
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9099743

Question for you daves_not_here... I used a very sharp knife to cut off what I thought was the damaged part of my plumy and should I see pure white stem after the cut or can it have a cream color to it?

let me know please...
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

April 27, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9099958

I don't know if it will be pure white. I believe the important thing is that the stem is firm. Though you should see some white sap drip from the wound. If there was no sap then there is still damaged tissue. Does the rest of the stem look healthy? Are you able to post a couple pics? Some of the stem and of the cut end.
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9100386

See this Plumy is down the road at my Parents house, but I can head over to take a couple pics...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
Panama plumies vossner 53 Apr 15, 2007 11:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America