Favorite Small Specimen Trees Native to New England?

Maynard, MA

What are your favorite small specimen trees native to Massachusetts, or fairly close by? By 'specimen' trees, I mean to say that I am specifically looking for something pretty.
Thanks,
Shayna

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Acer pennsylvanicum is very pretty and doesn't get to be very large.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I have an Autumn Brilliance serviceberry which I love.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82824/

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

I was just going to say Serviceberry. Early flowers, followed by fruit which birds love.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I agree it's a good choice - small, brilliant color, first thing to bloom in the spring, wildlife value - what's not to like?! :D

Maynard, MA

Thanks, everyone! The serviceberry looks like a great idea.

Amanda, I always wondered what moosewood was--imagine my surprise when I found out from you that it was actually a small maple! Looks like a great tree, but it sounds fussy in terms of location. What soil/sun/etc conditions is yours in?

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Moosewood, eh? I know it as striped maple - the young bark is vertically striped. I have a lot at the edge of my backyard where there's woods. It turns bright yellow in fall. I attached some pictures I have from a few years ago.

My landscaper called it a weed, and I have to fight it back (mostly because I'm fighting the woods from taking over!). It does very well along the edge, where there's a big drop off. The soil is sand based. So it can't be too picky :)

Thumbnail by evie_beevie Thumbnail by evie_beevie Thumbnail by evie_beevie
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Shayna - I don't have one growing - I worked at a native plant botanic garden in MA several years ago and really loved the tree. I remembered it to be a small native with unusual bark and gorgeous fall foliage. It was growing in understory or on edges, as mentioned by Evie.

ALL of my native plants are weeds. :)

What do "landscapers" know!? I took (and passed) the certified plant professional exam here in NC thru the Nursery and Landscape Association and was very surprised that no one knew any of the actual parent plants that had popular cultivars or hybrids. There's as much information as you want to know, I guess.

Good luck choosing for your site! What about redbud/Cercis canadensis?

Edited to say that I forgot you were in MA - I worked for NEWFS at Garden in the Woods in Framingham.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 10:58 PM

Maynard, MA

Quote from AmandaEsq :
I worked at a native plant botanic garden in MA several years ago and really loved the tree. I remembered it to be a small native with unusual bark and gorgeous fall foliage. It was growing in understory or on edges, as mentioned by Evie...
I worked for NEWFS at Garden in the Woods in Framingham.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 10:58 PM

I *love* Garden in the Woods and recently took a course in residential landscape design there. I haven't seen the Moosewood, though--will go seek it out. I'm also thinking again of a dogwood, Cornus Florida. The blight scared me off, but the more I ask around, the more do-able it sounds.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Shayna - I remember one planted directly in front of the Visitor Center/gift shop. I worked in the horticulture department as the plant records coordinator on a part time grant funded position to do an inventory and to update the plant database. The tree has a short life span, but it should still be there, I would think! Last I saw it was in about 2008. ;)

A.

Maynard, MA

I'll let you know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.