Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Native Plants and Wild Plants: Favorite Small Specimen Trees Native to New England?

Communities > Forums > Native Plants and Wild Plants
bookmark
Forum: Native Plants and Wild PlantsReplies: 10, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

April 21, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9091744

What are your favorite small specimen trees native to Massachusetts, or fairly close by? By 'specimen' trees, I mean to say that I am specifically looking for something pretty.
Thanks,
Shayna

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9093725

Acer pennsylvanicum is very pretty and doesn't get to be very large.
back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9094472

I have an Autumn Brilliance serviceberry which I love.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/82824/
evie_beevie
Essex Junction, VT
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9095080

I was just going to say Serviceberry. Early flowers, followed by fruit which birds love.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9095350

I agree it's a good choice - small, brilliant color, first thing to bloom in the spring, wildlife value - what's not to like?! :D
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

April 26, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9098371

Thanks, everyone! The serviceberry looks like a great idea.

Amanda, I always wondered what moosewood was--imagine my surprise when I found out from you that it was actually a small maple! Looks like a great tree, but it sounds fussy in terms of location. What soil/sun/etc conditions is yours in?
evie_beevie
Essex Junction, VT
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9098626

Moosewood, eh? I know it as striped maple - the young bark is vertically striped. I have a lot at the edge of my backyard where there's woods. It turns bright yellow in fall. I attached some pictures I have from a few years ago.

My landscaper called it a weed, and I have to fight it back (mostly because I'm fighting the woods from taking over!). It does very well along the edge, where there's a big drop off. The soil is sand based. So it can't be too picky :)

Thumbnail by evie_beevie   Thumbnail by evie_beevie   Thumbnail by evie_beevie
Click an image for an enlarged view.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #9099470

Shayna - I don't have one growing - I worked at a native plant botanic garden in MA several years ago and really loved the tree. I remembered it to be a small native with unusual bark and gorgeous fall foliage. It was growing in understory or on edges, as mentioned by Evie.

ALL of my native plants are weeds. :)

What do "landscapers" know!? I took (and passed) the certified plant professional exam here in NC thru the Nursery and Landscape Association and was very surprised that no one knew any of the actual parent plants that had popular cultivars or hybrids. There's as much information as you want to know, I guess.

Good luck choosing for your site! What about redbud/Cercis canadensis?

Edited to say that I forgot you were in MA - I worked for NEWFS at Garden in the Woods in Framingham.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 10:58 PM
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

April 29, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9103129

[quote="AmandaEsq"]I worked at a native plant botanic garden in MA several years ago and really loved the tree. I remembered it to be a small native with unusual bark and gorgeous fall foliage. It was growing in understory or on edges, as mentioned by Evie...
I worked for NEWFS at Garden in the Woods in Framingham.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 10:58 PM[/quote]

I *love* Garden in the Woods and recently took a course in residential landscape design there. I haven't seen the Moosewood, though--will go seek it out. I'm also thinking again of a dogwood, Cornus Florida. The blight scared me off, but the more I ask around, the more do-able it sounds.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 29, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9103182

Shayna - I remember one planted directly in front of the Visitor Center/gift shop. I worked in the horticulture department as the plant records coordinator on a part time grant funded position to do an inventory and to update the plant database. The tree has a short life span, but it should still be there, I would think! Last I saw it was in about 2008. ;)

A.
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

April 30, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9103664

I'll let you know.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Native Plants and Wild Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
FREE Florida DOT Wildflowers!! sungrasses 3 Apr 10, 2010 9:10 PM
The Dead Lawn Society BloomsWithaView 257 May 22, 2008 8:45 PM
Variegated Skunk Cabbage Penn_Pete 10 Mar 16, 2008 3:39 PM
Joe Pye is heading for the sky. raydio 51 Oct 18, 2008 11:16 PM
Native Plant Nurseries Equilibrium 97 Apr 4, 2008 4:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America