Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9091974

Time to head on to Volume 438!

We came from lots of great pics in Vol. 437 here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251601/

Here's a Pied Wagtail to start with, and another Ring Ouzel pic

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin   Thumbnail by Resin
Click an image for an enlarged view.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

April 21, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9091996

Crows are feeding young in a pine tree next door. I haven't seen red bellied wp but you can hear them. Robins all over the place: since they hop around on lawns, they are easy to spot.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9092042

Not really good photos but at least I got out for a walk yesterday with the camera. The Robin and Song Sparrow were on my walk. The Crow on the suet feeder is in our yard and of course the Blue Jay.

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 21, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9092063

IRIS, Great shots on the last thread!!!

Resin, Thanks for starting the new thread! Love those 2 birds!

Nanny, Love your Crow and Blue Jay!
Ladi_Burd
Norwalk, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9092644

We went form 70-80 degrees & sunny to 40-50 degrees and cloudy weather.
I'm i guess what you would call a "fair weather" birder...no pics to post
Hope everyone enjoys their day!
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 22, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9093266

Brewer's Blackbird (first of the year)...Two male Calif. Quail in a dispute over a female

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 22, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9093399

Two pics of what I think is a Hairy Woodpecker hiding in the shadows

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9093587

Great shots all. Really like that Pied Wagtail Resin. Pretty bird.

Nanny, no Pileated's?? LOL

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9093936

Thank you Resin for the new thread. Interesting Pied Wagtail and Ring Ouzel? Nice pic of the Hairies Adel, I'd like to see some of those quails in person. GG I hope Nanny's Pileated wps would migrate down here. lol

I finally get to see Brown Thrashers on suet feeder, no pic. yet. It's quite windy outdoor.

This looks vaguely familiar!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9094286

GrannyGrunt wrote:Great shots all. Really like that Pied Wagtail Resin. Pretty bird.

Nanny, no Pileated's?? LOL

They have been by but figured I would give ya all a break!! lol

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9094544

Woo Hoo...FOS Baltimore Oriole!!

Also had a Catbird eating jelly today...but haven't got a photo of it yet!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9094583

Thank's pelletory!
Nice shots all!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9094639

Iris, I enjoyed all your photos on the last thread.

Thank you for the new start Resin. Love that pretty Pied Wagtail and the Ringed Ouzel stands just like our blackbirds. I wonder if they could be related?

Nanny, cute variety of birds. Who needs a break from the Pileated-certainly not me. Congrats on the oriole arrival.

Adel, I didn't know the blackbirds hadn't been to your area yet. Bet you really got a show with the fighting quail-great capture. Nice shot of the Hairy wp too.

Lily, is that a loon?

Here's a passing Bald Eagle, a female Purple Finch, a new arrive-Ash-throated Flycatcher, this female Ash-throated Flycatcher gave me the "look" for being too close to the birdbath, and another new arrival, an American Goldfinch.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9094812

ducbucln wrote:... the Ringed Ouzel stands just like our blackbirds. I wonder if they could be related?

Nope; Ring Ouzel is a species of thrush. Among American birds, its closest relative is American Robin (which is in the same genus).

Here's another thrush, this time a Mistle Thrush. For some others, head to BirdFiles here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[birdorder]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=Turdus&searcher[species]=&Search=Search

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9094921

Cool Thrush Resin, Duc, I like the Flycatcher's hairdo! I hope it was a loon but I wasn't sure. What said you Resin?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9095089

Thanks ducbusin! Love "The Look" on the Ash-throated Flycatcher lol!!!
thebestmissy
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9095371

Interesting pics to start the thread, Resin!

I had the honor of birding on part of Fort Hood this past weekend. I got to see two endangered species, the Golden-cheeked Warbler and the Black-capped Vireo. I was able to snap a few pics of the Warbler, but not he Vireo. The Vireo was very elusive, so I felt lucky to catch a glimpse. I also got to see a Bronzed Cowbird in a Brown-headed Cowbird trap. I had a close encounter with an Eastern Phoebe that had a nest nearby, that was at my in-laws in McClennan County. I also got to see three White-eyed Vireos sitting on nests at a park not too far from Fort Hood. Some other interesting birds that we got to see were Summer Tanager, Indigo Bunting, Painted Bunting, Blue Grosbeak, Bell's Vireo, Baird's Sandpiper, Tree Swallow, Cave Swallow and Barn Swallow. Migration is on! Interestingly, a Canyon Wren had a nest in the Ladies' Restroom at the park.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by thebestmissy   Thumbnail by thebestmissy   Thumbnail by thebestmissy   Thumbnail by thebestmissy   Thumbnail by thebestmissy

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9095451

Lily_love wrote:I hope it was a loon but I wasn't sure. What said you Resin?

I'd call it a Great Northern Diver, but that's the same bird as you call Common Loon ;-)

Resin
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9095824

Thanks for explaining the thrush Resin. Your new thrush is a pretty one too.

Missy, you really got to see lots of birds-great photos.

Here's a house finch, a northern flicker, a western kingbird, a bullock's oriole that refuses to touch the orange and a feisty House Sparrow.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9095881

Thanks Resin for the confirmation on the Common Loon. It must be a female then? For it's now must be in a breeding season for them? I was looking for that brightly colored breeding plumage. Love those shots you've got Duc. I've seen Northern Flickers down here but haven't got a chance to take pics. of them.

A pair of Canadian Geese, and one of my lovely Eastern Bluebird.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9096001

Lily_love wrote:Thanks Resin for the confirmation on the Common Loon. It must be a female then? For it's now must be in a breeding season for them?

It's a fisrt-summer bird (hatched spring 2011), they don't get the bright breeding plumage until 2 years old. There's no difference between males and females.

Resin

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9096142

This male Pileated Woodpecker flew in this morning to the suet. He was not happy that there were a 2 squirrels already in the tree heading for the suet. Pileated won and dined for about 12 before he moved on.

Wanted to be sure GG got her Pileated fix!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

April 24, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9096146

Good for the wp displacing the squirrels. They can go find other stuff.
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9096246

Yes, Nanny. Thanks for that. LOL

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9096285

omg Duc, that oriole picture is fantastic!!!!
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9096451

Gr4eat photos all, Dave, Love that oriole shot!
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 24, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9096544

One of a dozen Brown-headed Cow birds that showed up today...This Scrub Jay didn't appreciate them, so it flew the coop.

MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

April 24, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9096661

Wonderful birdies, everyone.

Part of a flock of black cockatoos flying past the osprey nest the other day. Not long after, a flock of little corollas flew by.

Thumbnail by MargaretK   Thumbnail by MargaretK

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9096956

Margaret, you slay me! Beautiful birds!
Adel, you even make a cowbird look good!
Resin, love the wagtail! Great start.
Wonderful pics everyone!

I had a great day yesterday. Went to see the Tropical Mockingbird reported in Sabine Woods -- 1st US record. It was a stunner, but the woods were crawling with great birds. Crawling is appropriate b/c lots of thrushes and thrashers and ovenbirds.

Must get going this morning but thought I'd share the Mockingbird and my best ever Orchard Oriole pic.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9097190

Beautiful Oriole shot Elphaba!!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9097370

Beautiful shots on this thread. Love that Tropical Mockingbird Elphaba.
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 25, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9097990

One of three male Black-headed Grosbeaks that showed up today...Red-winged Blackbird.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

April 25, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9097998

The birds are certainly different that the ones we often see.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 25, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #9098028

Love seeing the Pileated again Nanny. And your Loon as well Lily.
You had a successful outing at the In-Laws, Missy, great collection of birds there. Duc,love your Oriole, and Flicker, great pictures of your birds. Congrat on getting a lovely pic of your Orchard and Mockingbird, Elphaba, I read your having a great year, with your bird list. Adel, my Brown headed Cowbirds are increasing here too, but not as bad as Grackles. A nice flock of birds, Margaret, nice to see you on the thread again. It good to see, a new kind of Thrush, Resin. You have been on a roll this year too.

Some of mine a couple of days ago.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, A.Crow, Black-capped Chickadee, A. Goldfinch, and a Downy WP.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9098308

I am really enjoying all of these great shots. Finally downloaded a camera card yesterday and found some of them have a bit of snow in the shots. LOL

My suet-loving Robin.
Female Cardinal. (Hush Resin)
And a Tufted Titmouse with a bit of ice showing on the perch.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt   Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

Mrs_Ed

Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9098340

I've never seen a robin at my suet! Pretty cool.

Oh Burn, looks like spring is really late for you up there! ((hugs))

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9098361

Beautiful shots Granny. Love Robins!
Burn, nice set. It's so hard to get good photos of black birds and birds with dark eye stripes. That crow shot is perfect.

Here are some thrushes and a wannabe thrush -- Swainson's Thrush, Veery, Wood Thrush and Ovenbird.

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9098391

Yes, Burn's Crow shot is perfect. He would look good in my back yard! LOL
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 26, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9098683

Here is a Purple...Cassin's or House Finch...what say you Resin?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat   Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9098855

Purple

Resin
adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

April 26, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9098864

Thanks Resin

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

April 26, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9098927

Red winged blackbirds are making noise. Probably they are near the marshy area nearby which got some water during the weekend. I have a hunch they can't find the ladies & are very frustrated.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9101126

Nice pix everyone! White-throat Sparrow.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 28, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9101418

I've gotten behind so great photos everyone!!

Just got the news that the new Birds and Bloom magazine for June/July has one of my photos in there. The photo is one of my hummers playing in the solar fountain.
Here's a couple brown-headed cowbirds, a ash-throated flycatcher, a scrub jay and a California thrasher.

Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln   Thumbnail by ducbucln

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9102559

Congrats Duc! That's fantastic. Your photos are eye-popping. I'm not at all surprised that you are published so often.

Lily, nice spot on the sparrow.

Here are a few of my favorites: Sora, Scarlet Tanager, Audubon's YR Warbler (bad pic but we don't see them here often), Eastern Kingbird, Summer Tanager with Mulberry.

This message was edited Apr 29, 2012 11:44 AM

Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba   Thumbnail by Elphaba

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9104109

Oh my Elphaba, so many beautiful birds. You really are lucky to see the scarlet and summer tanagers, while I just get to enjoy the western tanagers that are just yellow with a tiny red on their head. Great catch on the sora, warbler and the kingbird.

Unfortunately the male cowbirds are beginning to show off for this one lady. The only good thing is they really put on a show with their feathers.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 30, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9104267

Duc, Nice catches on the Cowbirds showing off!

Elphaba, Congrats on all the beautiful birds!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 30, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9104676

Thanks for the hugs Mrs-Ed, needed it to stay warm these pass few weeks.:)
I appreciate your comments Elphaba, and GG.
GG I never seen a Robin on the suet! Wonderful capture.
Elphaba very nice series of birds. You are having a great year birding! I love your variety as well Duc. Those Brown-headed display are great.

Birds from PEI
1. Osprey, 2.Pintail ducks, 3. Ring-billed Gull, 4. American Black ducks with a gull, 5. Great Blue Heron.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

sprout13
Palmyra, MO

April 30, 2012
9:17 PM

Post #9104931

Great pictures everyone. I'm new here and just started my bird obsession over the last month.

These pictures are pretty bad, hopefully I get better at this ha! I was so excited about some new 'visitors' this week. If any of my Id's are wrong below for my pictures, please let me know as I have been working really hard with my field guide to figure out what is what.

Blue Jay, Red Bellied Woodpecker, White Crowned Sparrow, Gold Finches, and Pileated Woodpecker (really bad pic but this was so exciting to see in my yard).

My other sitings so far are a Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker, Red Winged Blackbird, Tufted Titmouse, White Breasted Nuthatch, Cardinal, House Sparrow (yuck), House Finch, Downy Woodpecker (both male and female), Chipping Sparrow, Mourning Dove, Grackle (yuck again), and Robins.

Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9105575

Burn, you really found some great birds at PEI.

Welcome Sprout13, you have a great variety of birds to enjoy and photograph.

My Nuttall's Woodpeckers continue to come on the deck for peanut butter and seeds. Here's a female Hooded Oriole, a Tree Swallow and a Bald Eagle that flew past me this morning.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 1, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9105720

Sprout13, Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your birds (especially the Pileated). We look forward to more postings by you!

Duc, Love that Tree Swallow! I'm seeing quite a few of them around here.

Burn, Good to see the handsome Northern Pintail ducks!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9105944

Lovely photos everyone!! I just am not taking many photos right now but I do have a few to share. First up is the FOS Rose-breasted Grosbeak!! It showed up this morning. also have more Baltimore Orioles & Gray Catbirds every day. Our adult son has moved in with us and while not really "into birds" he is enjoying seeing all the different birds and watching their behaviors.

The last photo is an male Eastern Towhee as it leaves the yard! lol

adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

May 1, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9106256

Calif Quail

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

May 1, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9106295

Great shots everyone!! I hope everyone is enjoying migration...the first big waves of birds have started coming through the last 2 days here. I had the Baltimore Orioles/Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Ruby-throated Hummer's all show up on Monday and within a half hour of each other. I have a few photo's to share with you all. First a Hooded Warbler (lifer) that I found on Good Friday, a Virginia Rail (lifer), a Peregrine Falcon, a Summer Tanager (lifer) and an American Woodcock (lifer).

Ive just spent over an hour trying to upload 5 photo's to the thread and its not working..i have the latest Firefox so that's not the issue. I will try to upload what ive posted right here. Sorry gang but I feel my time here is about spent. For whats its worth i had a blast being a member of Dave's and i want to thank each and everyone of you who guided me with birdwatching and photography. For those who have facebook just send a friend request to Dave Clark that's where i post all my photo's now if your interested. Thank you all for everything.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

May 1, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9106300

Virgina Rail

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

May 1, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9106301

Peregrine Falcon

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

May 1, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9106303

Summer Tanager

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

May 1, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9106307

lastly the American Woodcock...good birding to all of you.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 1, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9106561

wonderful pictures & you will really be missed. We would not have seen so many water birds without you.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9107429

Beautiful photos and you will be missed. I will look you up on FB...I am Claudia Morgan(Dreier).

OMG...Do you know how many Dave Clarks there are??? lol

Oh well I tried! Look me up!!

This message was edited May 2, 2012 3:24 PM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 2, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9107511

Dave, you'll be missed. Best wishes always.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 2, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9107670

I haven't posted on one of these in awhile. I don't have that great of pictures. I enjoy all yours; it's fun seeing the wide variety of birds.

I did want to show this one off as our ten year old did took this. He sure can catch these jays in the best lighting.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 2, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9107682

Female Rose-breasted Grosbeak stopped in and spent the day here today!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

Burd_Fotos
Sandusky, OH

May 2, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9107728

Sorry Nanny...yes there are a lot of us. lol [HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com]
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 2, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9107783

Sorry, to see you go Dave, I've enjoyed all your wonderful Warblers, and birds in flight. You will surely be missed, Thanks for sharing so much with us. Congrats on all your lifers.
Duc, thanks on my sister's behave, she's the one, that took those pictures on PEI. She told me I could share them with you all. Love your pics.
Welcome Sprout13, it great to see you joining us, and sharing what you see. It's a nice place to learn to identify our birds.
I'm hoping to see the Rose-breasted Grosbeak at the feeder this year, Glad it already showed up at your place, and the Orioles also, Nanny.
Adel, I'd love to see some Quails, someday.
Your have a neat shot of your little Wren and house, so cute, Lily.
Chilli, your son does have a good eye for photography, for his young age. Tell him to keep up the good work. It's a lovely shot of the B Jay.

My highlight of the day, was a visit from an Indigo Bunting. I was so thrill to see it. He's a lifer for me.
3. Purple Finch, 4. Savannah Sparrow.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9108375

Wow, Burn! A savannah at the feeder! I have yet to see one, but have been told we live in the prime habitat for them.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 3, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9108413

Can't get ahold of 'burd fhotos' pic on Facebook. aka Dave Clark. anyone else have success?

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9108507

I just was able to subscribe to his page. Thanks for the link Dave!!

Okay burn...I am heading to your place!! lol
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

May 3, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9108784

Wow Congratulations burn!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9108948

Fantastic shots everyone.

Burn, love the Indigo Bunting and the PURPLE FINCH!! I may just have to replace the bristles on my broom and head up your way. LOL

In addition to a suet-eating Robin, I have two Mourning Doves who have managed to park their large butts on my little finch feeder. I could not figure why it always went empty before the other feeders. Now I know. They sit there and eat for a good half hour at a time.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9108966

I like your Mourning Doves, GrannyGrunt. I think they are great birds to have around. They harass the Grackles and House Sparrows to my satisfaction when they plunk itself in the middle of the platform feeder and won't let any other in, except its mate.

Thumbnail by Chillybean

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 3, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9108998

help, help--Nanny on finding Dave.
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 3, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9109075

Great pictures everyone and thanks for the warm welcome!

Congrats Burn on the Indigo Bunting!!! It's just so beautiful. I'm hoping for one some day too :)

GrannyGrunt - Thank you for the giggles. Your comment on the Mourning Dove's big behinds had be really laughing. I needed a good laugh today. Thank you!

I'm going to add a few more pics shortly. I think I'm getting better with my camera so I'm not too embarrassed to post them. They are most definitely better than my first shots.
sprout13
Palmyra, MO

May 3, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9109210

Today I had this cute Robin take a bath in my pond. I'm so glad I put in a little pond now. The layered rocks on the shelves make it the perfect depth for a bird to take a dip.

Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13   Thumbnail by sprout13

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9109242

Nice ones of your Robin sprout13!

Keep forgetting...had a Brown Thrasher in the yard yesterday!

Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56   Thumbnail by nanny_56

IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9109310

Great pics everyone!!
GrannyGrunt
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9109360

I, too, like the Mourning Doves. I have a lot of them here. Yes, they do let the Grackles know who is boss.

Sprout, I really like your pond and the bathing Robin. So neat. BTW, great looking smiling turtle also. Happy to send some giggles your way.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

May 3, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9109525

Great excitment. Looked out bedroom window this afternoon & there was a dark colored hawk on the beech tree in the front yard. Its back was towards us as I called for DH & he just saw it for a moment as it flew off. Dark back, white breast & I think tan under wings as it flew. On a low trajectory so might have been after a chipmunk.

We suspect a immature broad wing after I got dowstairs to find our Hawks of North America paperback.
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 4, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9110424

I got behind again-too much garden work at this time of year. Anyway, a big congratulations to Burn on that beautiful Indigo Bunting!

IT'S TIME TO CLOSE THIS THREAD OUT so please enjoy all of these fantastic photos and comments, then join us on the next thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1256239/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America