Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Daily piccies vol 438

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Time to head on to Volume 438!

We came from lots of great pics in Vol. 437 here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1251601/

Here's a Pied Wagtail to start with, and another Ring Ouzel pic

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin Thumbnail by Resin
South Hamilton, MA

Crows are feeding young in a pine tree next door. I haven't seen red bellied wp but you can hear them. Robins all over the place: since they hop around on lawns, they are easy to spot.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Not really good photos but at least I got out for a walk yesterday with the camera. The Robin and Song Sparrow were on my walk. The Crow on the suet feeder is in our yard and of course the Blue Jay.

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

IRIS, Great shots on the last thread!!!

Resin, Thanks for starting the new thread! Love those 2 birds!

Nanny, Love your Crow and Blue Jay!

Norwalk, OH(Zone 5a)

We went form 70-80 degrees & sunny to 40-50 degrees and cloudy weather.
I'm i guess what you would call a "fair weather" birder...no pics to post
Hope everyone enjoys their day!

Klamath River, CA

Brewer's Blackbird (first of the year)...........Two male Calif. Quail in a dispute over a female

Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

Two pics of what I think is a Hairy Woodpecker hiding in the shadows

Mount Pleasant Mills, PA(Zone 5a)

Great shots all. Really like that Pied Wagtail Resin. Pretty bird.

Nanny, no Pileated's?? LOL

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Resin for the new thread. Interesting Pied Wagtail and Ring Ouzel? Nice pic of the Hairies Adel, I'd like to see some of those quails in person. GG I hope Nanny's Pileated wps would migrate down here. lol

I finally get to see Brown Thrashers on suet feeder, no pic. yet. It's quite windy outdoor.

This looks vaguely familiar!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Quote from GrannyGrunt :
Great shots all. Really like that Pied Wagtail Resin. Pretty bird.

Nanny, no Pileated's?? LOL

They have been by but figured I would give ya all a break!! lol

Woo Hoo....FOS Baltimore Oriole!!

Also had a Catbird eating jelly today...but haven't got a photo of it yet!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thank's pelletory!
Nice shots all!

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Iris, I enjoyed all your photos on the last thread.

Thank you for the new start Resin. Love that pretty Pied Wagtail and the Ringed Ouzel stands just like our blackbirds. I wonder if they could be related?

Nanny, cute variety of birds. Who needs a break from the Pileated-certainly not me. Congrats on the oriole arrival.

Adel, I didn't know the blackbirds hadn't been to your area yet. Bet you really got a show with the fighting quail-great capture. Nice shot of the Hairy wp too.

Lily, is that a loon?

Here's a passing Bald Eagle, a female Purple Finch, a new arrive-Ash-throated Flycatcher, this female Ash-throated Flycatcher gave me the "look" for being too close to the birdbath, and another new arrival, an American Goldfinch.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln

Quote from ducbucln :
... the Ringed Ouzel stands just like our blackbirds. I wonder if they could be related?

Nope; Ring Ouzel is a species of thrush. Among American birds, its closest relative is American Robin (which is in the same genus).

Here's another thrush, this time a Mistle Thrush. For some others, head to BirdFiles here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/adv_search.php?searcher[common]=&searcher[birdorder]=&searcher[family]=&searcher[genus]=Turdus&searcher[species]=&Search=Search

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cool Thrush Resin, Duc, I like the Flycatcher's hairdo! I hope it was a loon but I wasn't sure. What said you Resin?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks ducbusin! Love "The Look" on the Ash-throated Flycatcher lol!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Interesting pics to start the thread, Resin!

I had the honor of birding on part of Fort Hood this past weekend. I got to see two endangered species, the Golden-cheeked Warbler and the Black-capped Vireo. I was able to snap a few pics of the Warbler, but not he Vireo. The Vireo was very elusive, so I felt lucky to catch a glimpse. I also got to see a Bronzed Cowbird in a Brown-headed Cowbird trap. I had a close encounter with an Eastern Phoebe that had a nest nearby, that was at my in-laws in McClennan County. I also got to see three White-eyed Vireos sitting on nests at a park not too far from Fort Hood. Some other interesting birds that we got to see were Summer Tanager, Indigo Bunting, Painted Bunting, Blue Grosbeak, Bell's Vireo, Baird's Sandpiper, Tree Swallow, Cave Swallow and Barn Swallow. Migration is on! Interestingly, a Canyon Wren had a nest in the Ladies' Restroom at the park.

This message was edited Apr 23, 2012 10:13 PM

Thumbnail by thebestmissy Thumbnail by thebestmissy Thumbnail by thebestmissy Thumbnail by thebestmissy Thumbnail by thebestmissy

Quote from Lily_love :
I hope it was a loon but I wasn't sure. What said you Resin?

I'd call it a Great Northern Diver, but that's the same bird as you call Common Loon ;-)

Resin

Kelseyville, CA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for explaining the thrush Resin. Your new thrush is a pretty one too.

Missy, you really got to see lots of birds-great photos.

Here's a house finch, a northern flicker, a western kingbird, a bullock's oriole that refuses to touch the orange and a feisty House Sparrow.

Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln Thumbnail by ducbucln
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Resin for the confirmation on the Common Loon. It must be a female then? For it's now must be in a breeding season for them? I was looking for that brightly colored breeding plumage. Love those shots you've got Duc. I've seen Northern Flickers down here but haven't got a chance to take pics. of them.

A pair of Canadian Geese, and one of my lovely Eastern Bluebird.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Quote from Lily_love :
Thanks Resin for the confirmation on the Common Loon. It must be a female then? For it's now must be in a breeding season for them?

It's a fisrt-summer bird (hatched spring 2011), they don't get the bright breeding plumage until 2 years old. There's no difference between males and females.

Resin

This male Pileated Woodpecker flew in this morning to the suet. He was not happy that there were a 2 squirrels already in the tree heading for the suet. Pileated won and dined for about 12 before he moved on.

Wanted to be sure GG got her Pileated fix!! lol

Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56 Thumbnail by nanny_56
South Hamilton, MA

Good for the wp displacing the squirrels. They can go find other stuff.

Yes, Nanny. Thanks for that. LOL

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

omg Duc, that oriole picture is fantastic!!!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Gr4eat photos all, Dave, Love that oriole shot!

Klamath River, CA

One of a dozen Brown-headed Cow birds that showed up today....This Scrub Jay didn't appreciate them, so it flew the coop.

PERTH, Australia

Wonderful birdies, everyone.

Part of a flock of black cockatoos flying past the osprey nest the other day. Not long after, a flock of little corollas flew by.

Thumbnail by MargaretK Thumbnail by MargaretK
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Margaret, you slay me! Beautiful birds!
Adel, you even make a cowbird look good!
Resin, love the wagtail! Great start.
Wonderful pics everyone!

I had a great day yesterday. Went to see the Tropical Mockingbird reported in Sabine Woods -- 1st US record. It was a stunner, but the woods were crawling with great birds. Crawling is appropriate b/c lots of thrushes and thrashers and ovenbirds.

Must get going this morning but thought I'd share the Mockingbird and my best ever Orchard Oriole pic.

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba

Beautiful Oriole shot Elphaba!!

Beautiful shots on this thread. Love that Tropical Mockingbird Elphaba.

Klamath River, CA

One of three male Black-headed Grosbeaks that showed up today......Red-winged Blackbird.

South Hamilton, MA

The birds are certainly different that the ones we often see.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Love seeing the Pileated again Nanny. And your Loon as well Lily.
You had a successful outing at the In-Laws, Missy, great collection of birds there. Duc,love your Oriole, and Flicker, great pictures of your birds. Congrat on getting a lovely pic of your Orchard and Mockingbird, Elphaba, I read your having a great year, with your bird list. Adel, my Brown headed Cowbirds are increasing here too, but not as bad as Grackles. A nice flock of birds, Margaret, nice to see you on the thread again. It good to see, a new kind of Thrush, Resin. You have been on a roll this year too.

Some of mine a couple of days ago.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, A.Crow, Black-capped Chickadee, A. Goldfinch, and a Downy WP.

Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007 Thumbnail by burn_2007

I am really enjoying all of these great shots. Finally downloaded a camera card yesterday and found some of them have a bit of snow in the shots. LOL

My suet-loving Robin.
Female Cardinal. (Hush Resin)
And a Tufted Titmouse with a bit of ice showing on the perch.

Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt Thumbnail by GrannyGrunt
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I've never seen a robin at my suet! Pretty cool.

Oh Burn, looks like spring is really late for you up there! ((hugs))

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful shots Granny. Love Robins!
Burn, nice set. It's so hard to get good photos of black birds and birds with dark eye stripes. That crow shot is perfect.

Here are some thrushes and a wannabe thrush -- Swainson's Thrush, Veery, Wood Thrush and Ovenbird.

Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba Thumbnail by Elphaba

Yes, Burn's Crow shot is perfect. He would look good in my back yard! LOL

Klamath River, CA

Here is a Purple...Cassin's or House Finch.....what say you Resin?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Purple

Resin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.