Photo by Melody

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Spring Houseplants / Tropicals Swap

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 175, Views: 1,424
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9092178

Welcome to Our Annual Spring Houseplants / Tropicals Swap!

Our guidelines are exactly the same as they’ve been in the past.

Share a minimum of 3 houseplants and / or tropicals, Send nice size plants like you’d buy at your local garden hangout or already have. The value of the plants you send is $20 minimum, excluding Priority Mail with a Delivery Confirmation number. Feel free to divide plants you already have to propagate new ones. If you include cuttings, bulbs, tubers, or rhizomes, they will be considered Bonuses.

Names will be taken until 9 PM Eastern Time on Monday, May 14th. You will know your Buddy's name shortly afterward and will either be posted directly on our thread or in a D-mail from me. All plants need to be mailed no later than the week of June 11th.

Rules are simple….
1. Anyone is Welcome to join us! If you’re new to DG or have not previously participated in a swap I've hosted, please D-mail your name to me along with your mailing address, phone number, and email address. No one's personal information will be shared and is only for my log. Having pertinent information from all our participants helps ensure no one is left out.
2. Your DG Subscription must be paid through June 30th.
3. Respect the Privacy of your fellow gardener and do NOT post Delivery Confirmation Numbers directly on our threads. Instead, keep your receipt and D-mail the numbers to me.
4. Participants in our swap are only obligated to send to one person, your assigned Buddy.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9092179

Reserved

AmandaEsq / Amanda --------- > Rec'd from Careyana
careyana / Carey --------------- > Rec'd from Carolyn22
Carolyn22 / Carolyn ------------ > Rec'd from GAgirl1066
chellflower / Chell --------------- > Rec'd from LK
FruitOfTheVine / Susan ------- > Rec'd from Vinesnmore
GAgirl1066 / Paula ------------- > Rec'd From FruitOfTheVine
goldhillal / Crystal -------------- > Rec'd from hollysmamma
happgarden / Joyce ----------- > Rec'd from chellflower
hollysmamma / Liz ------------- > Rec'd from scbuttercup
jsxtiger / Jax --------------------- > Rec'd from goldhillal
scbuttercup / Judy ------------- > Rec'd from jsxtiger
taters / Linda Kay -------------- > Rec'd from AmandaEsq
toy747 / Lizette ----------------- > Rec'd from happgarden
Vinesnmore / Kat -------------- > Rec'd from toy747

This message was edited Jul 5, 2012 8:12 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9092359

me me I am first I am first...waving waving...
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9092361

I'm number deuce! Glad to see this swap return.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9092363

Me too flower... It is always a good one.
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9092470

Yes count me in!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
4:24 AM

Post #9092489

I will just visit and cheer everyone on. I will have lots to share next year , so that is one consolation!!

Thankfully most of my plants survived the neglect of the last year and will be going to our new and PERMANENT home in the next week or two!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9092614

Congrats again Kris!!!! Looks like a great space and an awesome adventure in planting! :)

Oh, and I AM IN! I have so much stuff to share now... :D

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9092621

Add me please?
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9092716

I'll reserve myself a spot and confirm in May. The kitties have to go to the vet and it'll be a doosy.
hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9093207

Sign me up! I have tons of houseplants and tropicals!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9093223

Wow, what a great group already. Plenty of time left and always room for more.

That sounds great, hollysmamma! Please D-mail your info to me.
Name, address, phone number and email address.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9093317

Sooze - please add me!

Carolyn

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9093324

OMG!!!!! I have a peach tree and it has fruit!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9093369

Congrats on the peach tree Kris. I LOVE peach preserves. hint hint

I believe I will set in the corner and watch everyone. Hopefully next year I will have enough to trade. I bought a bunch of new plants at the Herbal Affair here in SS yesterday, plus my ws'ing.

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9093421

((( CRIT))))...lol
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9093442

I will, Carolyn, and am glad to.

Don't let those stories about GA being the 'Peach State' fool ya even if it is on their license plates. Being a born and bred South Carolina Girl, Peaches are the State Fruit and any freestone variety is my favorite. Alberta's are hard to beat. CA produces the most peaches, followed by SC, and GA is third. HA! Are you watching GAgirl1066?! You know it's all in fun.

Patti, you're bound to have houseplants ready to take starts from or divide? Look around and see what you can do.
I hate leaving anybody out. That goes for you too, Elfie, if you change your mind.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2012 8:30 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9093458

We have the Porter Peach Festival here in Porter, OK every year. People come from quite a distance to get some Porter Peaches! I like to peel them and put them in the freezer with a little sugar. Then when I want to make a pie or cobbler, the filling is all ready. Peach pie is my favorite pie. And jam. hint hint elfie! lol I suppose you wonder why I don't make my own. Because even though it is made with love, someone elses' is always better. :-)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #9093768

I love it when the peaches come in too. I buy them by the bushel and then freeze them in a little bit of orange juice concentrate. They are good in pies. jams, breads and by themselves if you are a perpetual dieter like I am.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 23, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9093922

Fruits,
Thanks for posting this on the other thread, I thought I had signed up. Add me please, I have lots that needs a new home. I have to say, don't know who decided 'we' were the peach state, but down south its hard to find really good peaches. I am beginning to think we should be the soybean state, that's about all people plant around here anymore.

Are we doing a have/want list...or did I overlook that that somewhere?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9093941

Patti, them's fightin' words! Every year Stonewall, TX has a peach festival. They aren't the biggest/fleshiest peaches available, but to me they are the sweetest and tastiest every. There are a few of us organizing a road trip this year - with all the spring rains, it should be a great crop this year! (and our local Costco is selling the preserves...yummmmy)
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9094148

okay, time for my 2cents worth, LOL...here in Tyler, TX there are a bunch of peach farms on the west side of town that grow our local peaches...but we're known as the Rose Capitol (although the Azalea Trail seems to get more tourists every year), whoop, double whammy! LOL.

Our peaches aren't as large either, but they are good. Often expensive when we get the late winter freezes after the trees have bloomed too!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9094220

ooooweeeee you have me drooling for frozen peaches, Patti. :D

I was just adding an entry to my plant journal about the wonders of a certain 'Elodie' lily that I think is sprouting in a neglected pot. I wouldn't know except for Frooty's trademark tags. I was singing yer praises girlie, then I remembered it must be time for the spring swap. Weren't we partners last year? I got lucky and was able to deliver my stuff to you in person.

Please add me to this swap. I will start saving my pennies for postage now.

xox
A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9095140

GAgirl, a lot of the old-time farmers around here, who used to grow tobacco, are now growing fields of soybeans and grain sorghum they grind into silage to feed their livestock.

Very clever idea using Orange juice concentrate, Carolyn. Easier on the hips and helps keep peach slices from turning brown. As if they'd last that long around here 0:)

We sure were, Manda, and you gave me a nice haul. Remember the Night Blooming Cereus? It's doing really well, growing like crazy but still hasn't bloomed.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9095347

Froot - been meaning to ask about my friend the Sago palm. Sure would have loved to have a Sago Palm, but I was not the best foster mother for it . . ...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
1:39 AM

Post #9095443

Fruit

Wish I could take credit for the orange juice idea, but I cannot. I have a large book that has all that type of information. It is called up Stocking Up III by Carol Hupping. So much information in it. I beleive it is now out of print. I first came upon it years ago when my Mom owned a bookstore. It was a family affair and we all worked in it at one time or another. Some of my kids fondest memories are when they went to the bookstore after school and waited for me to get out of work.

Here is the book - I love it. http://www.amazon.com/Stocking-Up-III-Americas-Preserving/dp/0878576134/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335256715&sr=1-1

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9095793

LOL Carey. Maybe you should organize a road trip to Oklahoma! :-) Haven't heard any bad news about the peach crops here. I don't think we have had a frost/freeze since the trees started blooming. I don't think I'll be able to freeze any peaches this year, as my hands won't allow the peeling of them. Darn thumbs anyway!!!!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9096499

My peach trees are still hanging on to their peaches...fingers crossed. 90 tomorrow low of high 30's this weekend...roller coaster.

Everything is blooming so early I won't have any flowers this summer except for annuals...rofl.
90's tomorrow will not make my iris happy... ;(
whine whine whine.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012

Post #9096611

I found some lovely verbenas at one of the local Lowe's todays for $1 a piece - I bought five and I'm cramming them into a coco hanging basket. The whole trip cost me $10. :)

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9096806

Oh Carey -

I love verbena. Sounds pretty. I try to make some of my own hanging baskets too. This year I WS'd some portulaca - I took the seeds from a large container at work that was so beautifully draped. I also bought some of the pendula tuberous begonias...

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9097429

Carolyn, the ones from Lowe's are hybrid varieties. There is a deep purple and a pink/white that I know for sure. The others are a crapshoot on colors so we'll see what they are later I guess...they were just the healthiest of the remaining plants. :) If you'd like, Texas has a native verbena that has purple/fuschia blooms that grows in my backyard that I could share! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62648/
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9097652

I got some verbina that is bright bright yellow...from our lumberyard...they had hanging baskets for 4.99 sounds really good but the baskets aren't huge but a good buy.

Your native one is quite pretty never thought about them being native...rofl especially in Texas.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9097719

Carey

I looked at the link and the zones on the verbena are showing as 5a. Do you think that is accurate? I never thought verbena to be hardy to this zone.

I would love some if you want to share. Thank you.
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9097744

I won't be in the swap. I'm sorry but at the moment I'm being told to get rid of my houseplants. Dad was unaware of the specific pest I'm dealing with and then today I was treating the plants when I ended up hurting myself really really bad (inhaled the spray.) Totally out of the swap and am probably going to lose all my indoor plants.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012

Post #9097810

Carolyn - there is a really nice one near my veggie bed that I'll be happy to send to you. :) Texas has several lovely natives - Indian Paintbrush, Prairie Verbena, Rain Lilies, Chocolate Daisy, Orchid Trees...it's such a huge state with so many different climates of it's own! Spring is a lovely time of year. :)

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 25, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9097834

Oh Ang - I hope you are feeling better. I cannot imagine inhaling that stuff.

Carey - thank you. Sounds like there are things that grow outside for you that would be either an indoor plant or an annual.

Carolyn

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9097856

Oh no Ang! I hope it's not too serious!!! Please take good care of yourself! [[[[HUGS]]]]

Carolyn, my aunt who lives in the Poconos took home one of the daisies last spring. She said it came back this spring and looks great in the yard. :) It's a bummer the verbena will be mostly done blooming by the time it gets to you!
tikipod
(Ang) Bremerton, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9097928

No, not serious. It was a homemade spray that contained chiles. I won't die but there is a lot of pain and burning. Dad thinks it'd be easier on me to start over.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9098183

Ang

I saw your question on the other forum about clematis - dmail me what types they are and I think I can give you a hand. I feel a bit initimidated over there on that clematis thread... not sure why.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 26, 2012
3:47 AM

Post #9098189

Ang

I see they finally answered you. I won't worry about it then.

hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9103549

I have a quick question, I know this is the Tropical/Houseplant swap thread, but I was hoping some of you might have experience with White Bird of Paradise.My leaves are starting to turn brown and curl upwards on the plant and it hasn't put out a new leaf in 6 months. It is kept in a corner in between two windows, I water it once a week,mist it with a spray bottle everyday, and have slow time released fertilizer on it. I did use the fertilizer rather weakly, I heard somewhere they are not fans of fertilizer. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I don't want to loose this plant :( I love it and my orange Birds of Paradise is just a baby, about 7 inches tall with 3 leaves, and a new one just coming in. But it is doing fine, so I am confused. I am gong to try to take some pics and upload it so you can see what I am talking about. Excuse the picture quality please, I am going to try it with the camera on my laptop.

Thumbnail by hollysmamma   Thumbnail by hollysmamma
Click an image for an enlarged view.

GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

April 30, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9103560

Is anyone else having trouble getting connected to the web server for DG? For the past two weeks this has been happening at least once a day then it will work fine later. I don't think it is my computer or provider because I can go to any other website no problem, its just DG.
hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9103571

I had the same problem a week ago, it was frustrating.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9103588

hollysmamma, I have a giant white bop and an orange bop, but I have not had that problem. You might try on the tropical forum. You might also try wiping down the leaves with a sponge (at night so not to scorch the leaves) just to make sure it doesn't have spider mites or anything like that. Wish I could help. I am not good about fertilizing but do periodically when I am fertlizing everything else throw some slow release fertlizer on the giant bop. The orange one I have had for 20 years at least, the white I have had for 3 or 4 years. Wish I could be more helpful.
hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9103719

Thanks! I actually copied the post and the pics and put them on the tropicals forum as well. I thought about it after I posted it here lol. So I figured, worse thing possible is I may get two different answers :) I have only had this plant less than a year. But I still don't want to lose it.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9103906

Hollysmomma:

We were just talking about the white BOP on another thread I frequent because someone shippped me a baby dug from the ground in TX last week, and it is experiencing leaf curl.

After reading and doing my own research it sounds to me like your plant needs more water.

Here's a link to the post where JB (Jacquie B) is talking about the monster (white BOP) that another thread participant sent to her several years ago:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9102307

A.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9112141

There's still plenty of time for anyone who wants to joiin us. Cut off for interested participants is 9 PM Eastern Time next Monday, May 14th Spead the word and invite friends in your cirlcles to join us.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9116576

Hanging baskets are almost finished with annuals. A couple needed a 'trailer' and picked them up today. Last one I haven't started will hang on our mailbox post. The plants are ready and will put that basket together tomorrow. Today was spent grocery shopping and running errands. They never seem to end, but it's just as well after having a light mist most of the day, just annoying enough to keep the wipers on low.

Anybody lurking who'd like to join us? Wave in and get your name in the hat.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 8, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9116584

Don't you love dichondra? :)
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 8, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9116632

Fruit,
I'm new and would love to be part of the swap but I'm not sure how it works! Mud told me to contact you. Can you let me know how it works and what I need to do etc?

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #9116653

Welcome Vinesnmore!

Fruity will take good care of you! Promise! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 9, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #9116721

Vines

Welcome! Yes, Fruity will take care of you like Carey said... you will find a great bunch of people here, so jump right in!
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 9, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9116818

Thank you guys for the welcome and I look forward to swapping!

Mud_Elf

Mud_Elf
Elfie @ Goodwater,, AL
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9116853

Great you found it!!!!! Everyone calls me Elfie,, welcome to the wonderful world of swaps. We will turn you into an addict pronto!!!!!

Fruity,,, wish I could've in this one,,,sigh,,but ya know how it is here just now,,,

Lots of rain so the flowers are doing well!!

Huggs,,

Elfie

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 9, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9116870

I dunno, Kris, "Mud" has a nice ring to it. :D

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

May 9, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9116912

I had lots of reading to do to catch u, but have some comments:
Don't forget Alabama where peaches are concerned. They grow lots of places, but Clanton is the center.

Put me in this houseplant swap! Yeah!!

Ang, I like to use a little dawn dish liquid diluted in water for bugs. It is not toxic or it has never bothered me. Spray to drip off point, let set a while, then wash off with a stream of water. That usually gets rid of most of them If they are mealy bugs, you may need to do it 2X/week till you feel like they are under control. If it is scale, you may need to use a sponge with dish liquid and wipe off. Another thing is that (speaking like a southerner) the world is full of bugs, at least down here! The best you can ever do is control. Elimination is not an option. You may have to get used to a few bugs. Just keep the plants that have them isolated, or even throw them out for the sake of the others. I have cut off limbs or sections of plants because they were too heavily infected to try to clean up and I wanted the plant. My sister used to have an orange tree that got scale every year. She would leave it outside in the cold till the laves dropped, then bring it in for a relatively pest free year.
If you have fungus gnats, they are not likely to do much damage, but are just unsightly. Cover the soil surface with sand give less water to the plant. That usually brings it under control.
If you have white fly, my advice is to ditch the plant.
Perhaps you know all this already, but I hate for you to loose all your plants over a few bugs. Raising plants is a lot like raising kids: don't watch everything they do. Give them some space. They can fight a lot of their battles better than you can.
So much for philosophy.
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 9, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9116991

LOL ok elfie, but yeah I like mud better hahaha :-)
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9117341

Don't see my name at the top, stick me in this one Fruity...

Good to meet you Vines, just read the first post on the thread, Fruity is good about laying it all out for us, trust me I have to read it many times during a swap, especially that cut off date...rofl.

Someone called me Miss Happ which I thought was very appropriate for me...rofl. It cracked me up.

I am starting to bring tropicals out of the garden room finally! It will be nice to have them out, so much easier to water.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9117373

...me not saw me name on that list...cant i play? i have officially closed my patient rehab house as of 3 am this morning...so's i gonna have lots of time on me hands to git plants!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9117461

Wow, great action in here today! I've caught up the list of participants interested so far. Ya'll check behind me at the top of the page and let me know if your're "in" and your name is not there.

Vinesnmore, You have D-mail.
We also have another new player, toy747 / Lizette.
Welcome to both of you! This is a wonderful bunch of folks. Everybody's friendly and helpful.

Thanks to those who covered for me :) Finally had to quit digging for Manda's RU since it's raining...again.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9117470

I'm excited as I have more and more to share every time! Maybe the tree rats will even stay out of my plants for a while. The deer...well, they've already been after my native seedlings. Boo.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 14, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9123207

Our Secret Buddies have been assigned and all of you should have received her name in a D-mail. You will not be sending to and receiving from the same person, so we have a true Round Robin. Please don't reveal your Buddy's name until you receive your box of plants. List the ones you receive, and post a photo if possible.

Really appreciate the two of you who have volunteered to send an extra box in the event we have one or two more people join us before cut-off time by 9 PM today, Eastern Time,

Have fun gathering or dividing!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 14, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9123484

I got my name!

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9126401

OMG! Goldhilla! was ya standing on me porch, when ya got me name???? I cant beleive ya got this out that fast! an wat a loverly assortment! thank you ever so much! I am sooooooooooo impressed with your speed response, i gotta come back an tell yall what she sent!!!

Edit ta add: REX BEGONIA
LIPSTICK PLANT
STREPTO CACTUS SAXURAM
GOLFISH PLANT
CHINILLE PLANT
proud ta add i have none of these already! thank you.

This message was edited May 16, 2012 6:19 PM

Thumbnail by jsxtiger

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 16, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9126533

I know whatcha mean, Jax, and received the D/C numbers literally moments after names were D-mailed. Neat plants there, girlie, and thanks for getting the ball rolling, Crystal.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

May 16, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9126713

I hope you enjoy and they grow great for you.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9127016

Great plants, a great diverse group, wowzer talk about fast! I love my chinille plant...they are so cool.

Getting ready for the mg plant sale and I am making plant tags for about 100 plants with color pictures and all growing conditions. I will be so glad when this is over. I think I have some great tropicals to send to my bud tho. This is always a great swap!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9127337

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1257034/

Coma and check out the raise my baby swap. It is always lots of fun!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9127451

Gosh, happ, what a chore. Nobody volunteered to help you?

Just received another D/C number so one of you lucky gals keep your eyes peeled for your box of plants. They might arrive Saturday.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9127584

OH Crystal - you set the bar so high for us underachievers. :D

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9127648

ya kin say that again, amanda! (namly, me!)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 17, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9127802

O c'mon Jax - when you sent me my houseplants last year it was my first swap and YOU were the first one to ship then.

AND I was overwhelmed with your kindness. SO THERE! :P

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 18, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9128854

...awwwwwwww shucks!
Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 19, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9129961

I got my box today! I just worked 3 12hr shifts so I'm tired lol but I will post pics tomorrow evening :-) I'm sending my box out on Monday!!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9130038

I'm on a travel delay (the weather here has been above wonderful!) but I will be sending sometime in the next week. Hope my buddy will be ready! :)
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 21, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9131982

OH, thank goodness I hadn't signed up for this swap this year. I was in a panic so I checked the top of the thread. WHEW! I am just lurking this year. :-)

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9133996

Seriously running behind! I didn't realize that it was already the end of May and haven't made any starts. ACK!

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9134032

...dont worry carey, ya beez in goooooood company!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2012

Post #9134177

I am with both of you on that!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9134545

Well, I just hope my swap buddy is okay with seeds and small things!!! EEEKKK!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9134948

Happy Birthday Carey! Hope you have a great day!

Thumbnail by taters55

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9135046

Carey

Happy Birthday!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9135212

Happy Birthday, Carey! May all your blooms come true...lol
How was your trip? Fabulous I hope!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9135319

I have my plants gathered, but I think I will wait till Monday to mail them, so they don't sit in the post office somewhere over the week-end.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9135479

Hold off until Tuesday, LK. Monday is Memorial Day.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9135496

Oh, your right! Thanks for the reminder, I forgot.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9135534

We enjoy going to an annual festival the first Saturday in June. Big flea market type deal with foods like you'd find at a Country Fair, lots of plants & veggies and animals for sale too. My mail lady will be selling some of her critters. Hubby was all fired up today thinking the festival is this Saturday...lol Like a kid waiting for Christmas.
I'm on a mission to find another 1/2 whiskey barrel or two in good shape to use for planters.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

May 24, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9136350

My box from hollysmamma came yesterday-- and how wonderful!!!
Here is the list:
1)Mandevilla brides cascade- I have not looked this up yet, but i assume it must be white. I have a pink one and I LOVE the Mandevillas
2) Looks like maybe bottle shaped leaf Jade--help me here. was no label
3) Golden Pothos very large and nice plant
4)Passion flower-- what color is this?
5)Croton i like this. will make a nice addition to a mixed pot
6) Parrots beak-- gotta look this up. Know nothing about. Yea! a new plant
The cutting were very strong and I have set them all to root.
Her's a pic:

Thumbnail by goldhillal

hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9136701

I am glad you like it! Enjoy them! I will upload the pic of the parrots beak and passiflora when I get home from work, I can't do it from my IPhone, that way you could seethe parrots beak in bloom and the passiflora too. I don't know what kind of jade it is though.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9136925

Very nice, Ladies :)

My turn! Oh my gracious, thank you for making my day even better, Kat / Vinesnmore!

Two cuttings of Dragon Fruit 'American Beauty' (a type of night blooming Cereus)
Two Gingers: Curcuma Flaviflora 'Red Fireball', and 'Emperor' green pleated leaves with white edging, lovely
Remusatia vivipara 'Traveling Elephant Ear', a most unusual Aroid
Musa, Dwarf Red Banana -- awesome plant
And last but not least that brought tears to my eyes is an Orange Bird Of Paradise I've wanted for SO long.

Fabulous, Kat. What wonderful selections and a superb packing job. I can't wait to watch all these grow and bloom.

Vinesnmore
Bronson, FL

May 24, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9137034

I'm glad to see they made it safely! If I would have known you wanted the BOP so bad I would have sent you more!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9137110

Nice plants everyone!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #9137115

Great plants everyone. Would live to have any of those for sure.
have mine ready and picked out. I love this swap. It is always great.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9137116

Can I send prickly pear cactus? I have lots of that!
hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9137187

Goldhillal here are the pictures I promised!

Thumbnail by hollysmamma   Thumbnail by hollysmamma   Thumbnail by hollysmamma

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2012

Post #9137208

Liz / hollysmamma, you're off the hook for a BOP...lol The irony, folks, is we're working out a side trade and her last available one at the moment had just been traded.

It's been a nostalgic want of mine, Kat, since I remember how beautifully they grew wild when I lived in Nor Cal many moons ago. I couldn't be happier with the selections you chose for me. I did a little research on 'The Traveling Elephant Ear' and will keep it in a pot...lol

happ, you've been working too hard and have missed you.

LK, if the hardiness zone(s) for your prickly pear cactus matches your buddy's, I don't see why not. That one might be a challenge to keep inside or in a greenhouse and imagine it would be happier planted.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 25, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9137850

I sent a prickly pear to my Mom years ago in Michigan, and she left it out side. She thought she killed it when it froze, but to our surprise, it came back. They are pretty hardy!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9138377

Love the BOP Suze - I too had been looking for it and a fellow DG member in the butterfly forum dug up a huge baby from one of his plants. The leaves curled from the shock of it all, and are still curled, but new leaves are forming and I hope they will release their hold.

Nice box of plants. :)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

May 25, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9138380

Love the BOP Suze - I too had been looking for it and a fellow DG member in the butterfly forum dug up a huge baby from one of his plants. The leaves curled from the shock of it all, and are still curled, but new leaves are forming and I hope they will release their hold.

Nice box of plants. :)

LK - we leave ours outside too and it has many many blooms this spring! :)

toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 26, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9139369

Whoever has me as a buddy if you haven't already shipped could you please hold off until after June 10th. I have to go out of town and if they arrive while I'm gone the box will be placed on the dining room table and left there unopened until I get back.

Thanks so much!

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 26, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9139533

Sorry my box is kind of late but I wanted to make sure I could gather things together for my buddy that would be enjoyed! I'll be shipping out Tuesday!!

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9140376

...loverly, but wat is a Traveling EE?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9140962

Just starting to get things togehter for my buddy. I am sorry I am taking so long, Buddy... Hopefully you will be pleased.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9141170

I think everybody participating lives where our recent heat and wave of humidity makes it feel more like the 4th of July instead of Memorial Day. Several folks were early sending, but there's still plenty of time left for the rest of us. If any of you aren't able to mail by the week of June 11th, just let me know.

Lizette, I'm sure your buddy is keeping up with our thread, but I also sent a note to her that you'll be out of town and not to mail your plants until after June 10th. Have a safe trip and hope it's for pleasure instead of necessity.

Jax, here's info on DG about Traveling Elephant Ear, dubbed Hitchhiker: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2111/
Knowing your penchant for EE's, this one is right up your alley.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2012

Post #9142125

Goodness feels like 4th of July here instead of Memorial Day... Saturday the felt like temps were 96 and it felt like it.

Scared me for a moment I thought I was late...rofl...still lots of time to think about it... ;) Altho I do have most of mine together..suppose to cool of next week, infact we are going to have one day high in the 60's... We need rain badly. It rained in the city where I worked all day Friday almost but not a drop at the house...ground is hard and cracked. I bought soaker hoses for the garden and have another to get in and working. Need about 50 more...rofl.

How did you all spend your long weekend?

I had a brain storm, I don't like the looks of plastic hanging pots, but I got the most beautiful hanging begonia and don't want to repot it so I decided I am going to buy that replacement cocoa liner and glue it to the outside of the plastic pot, seems like it should word. Gonna buy some next week and try it.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9142141

hey taters, i take ya prickly pear anytime. overwinters jist great here. ones ya sent me is now blooming! thank for the info, as my 3yr old grand says..."i jist lovesssss me some EE's" ...now that mine are coming up! (he jist plugs in watever is his current thing). (last week it was string beans)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 28, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9142563

I can do that Jax! They have pretty blooms on them, then in the late summer, when they get the red fruits on them, they make jelly from it.

PRICKLY PEAR JELLY
1 gal. prickly pear cactus fruit, very ripe, deep garnet color
4 c. juice
4 c. sugar
2 pkgs. fruit pectin
Gather the fruit using tong and gloves. Put fruit in sink with water. Using tongs, scrub with a vegetable brush to remove stickers. Cut fruit in half. Place in large pan. Boil until fruit is shriveled. Mash with potato masher. Strain through jelly bag or cheese cloth. Bring juice and pectin to boil. Add sugar and boil to jelly stage. Pour into jelly glasses and seal.

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

May 29, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9142831

Hollysmama, that parrots beak looks like it gets pretty big! I have stuck it to root and it is still perky. Do you think this passion flower is a native one or not?

I kinda got behind reading. My sister has pneumonia again and is in the hospital. Don't know for how long, but she is much better since she got there.
My son arrived for a week and I hope to spend some time with him, so I am torn about what to do.
HOT HOT here. I was not ready for this. But then, I never am. I like the mid range temps. Unfortunately no one asked me what I wanted.
hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9146899

I received my box today! Thank you Judy (Scbuttercup)!

I received:
Plants:
Sanseveria, (which surprisingly is different than the one I already have!)
Aloe
Cactus
Cuttings:
Citrus Scented Geranium
Seeds:
Plumeria

And an Orange Mint and a Chocolate Mint plant (When we did a trade before my Chocolate Mint didn't survive, so it was a very nice surprise and very much appreciated!)

Thank you again Judy! I love them all :)

Thumbnail by hollysmamma

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9147504

I got my box yesterday and it is fabulous and everything had a tag!
My box is from Chell, you did a great job and I love everything and everything arrived in great shape.
I got:
Canna Red Stripe - it had huge roots, but I accidently broke the stalk off, but there are roots still attached to the stalk so it should do fine. Can't believe I did that...dang... Gonna look today and see if it will grow in my water garden. I know some of the cannas will...it has a beautiful leaf color.
Kalanchoe - love the blooms on these plants and they are so forgiving of me...rofl.
Pony Tail Palm - this is a favorite of mine and the cats...so it has to go somewhere the cat can't go...rofl, every cat I have ever know likes to chew on the leaves!
Hoya Carnosa - when I lived in texas this was one of my favorite plants, can't wait to get it potted up and growing
Christmas cactus - with a pink/purple bloom, another favorite of mine and so forgiving of me... ;)
Striped Aloe - Haven't had an Aloe is some time so I am very thankful to have gotten one of these.
dracaena - this is a beautiful plant, I just hope I can keep it going, there are two plants that I have alot of difficulty with 1 is a dracaena and the other are begonias (except for 2 varieties I have alive)...so wish me luck and more so the plant luck and give me any tips...
Canna Wyoming - excited about this, I had one of a million years ago...excited
Bonus -
fuzzy kittens- gotta love the plant because of the name, Chell I need your help tho cause when I looked it up I found fuzzy kitten ears? Did I write the name down wrong? not at home so I can't look.
chain inch plant - never had this before, he was a little dry but getting a good drink right now...
Then an african violet and a beauty at that...not a leaf broken, hard to imagine. Those always hold a close place to my heart.

Chell it is a wonderful box of plants and name tags...I am very grately to have received from you such a great box.
Great sender, stuff, great timing, cause I have the whole weekend to get things planted...hope everyone is as lucky as I have been.

I couldn't post last night because I got home from work and we immediately started working on the taj MaCoop house and got in and found the box and everything is getting a nice drink...

Thumbnail by happgarden

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9147848

Great boxes there!!!!

Wow, happ, what a haul. I don't even know some of those names. lol

That's a beautiful flower Liz. I had a plant start growing next to one of my plants I had along my back fence last year. It never did anything, but I left it alone. The other plant did not survive the summer heat, but this unknown one came back this year. I let it grow and much to my surprize and pleasure, it is a purple passion flower vine! I'm so excited. I have wanted one for soooooo long. Have no idea where it came from. lol
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9147950

Crit I have a great bag of goodies and just happen to get some flower pots on sale so they will all be nicely dressed...rofl. No rags for these guys...LOL
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 2, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9149257

happ, glad you like the goodies. most cannas like lots of moisture so the red stripe may do well in water, but you may want to do an online research to be sure. It should grow another stalk very soon. The striped aloe should also grow fast..i got mine from a swap one summer and by late fall it grew had a bloom spike that lasted a month. keep the hoya and ponytail palm on the dry side and they should do fine. begonias like moisture, but don't overwater. the fuzzy kittens and chain plants are tradescantia (jews)..just stick the in a basket of moist soil and they will root & fill the basket in no time..fuzzy kitten ears may be the correct name.

susan, sorry I didn't post happ's conf # and let you know I'd mailed her box yet. I just mailed it on Monday and was at the hospital for my G'mother pretty late everyday. She passed on peacefully in her sleep early Wednesday morning, we said our last goodbyes yesterday. She will be missed, but she left almost a century's worth of memories and stories for her four remaining generations to pass along.

I did recieve my box on thursday from Linda/Taters. She sent...
coleus- electric lime & sultana
salvia
angelonia
and two beautiful caladiums...thank you Linda, they are all in great condition. I already have a spot picked to plant each one today. I'll try to post a pic soon.

Thanks Susan for hosting again this year. I enjoy seeing pics of everyone's goodies and look forward to next time.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9149554

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother passing!
chellflower
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 4, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9151683

Thank you Linda..

Here's a pic of the plants Linda/Taters sent...they're all planted in the gardens and look great!

Thumbnail by chellflower

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9151892

Chell so sorry to hear about your DGrandmother, but you sound as if you have lots of beautiful memories of her.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9156306

So how's everybody doing getting your plants ready to mail if you haven't already? Several great boxes have already landed. This is a friendly reminder that our slated deadline is any day next week. Should any of you need an extension, just shoot me a D-mail.

I'm in the 'not mailed yet' group, so the rest of you in the same category don't feel like you're the Lone Ranger. Monday I'm meeting a fellow DG'er for a pit stop, and am visiting one of the best nurseries around to scope out plants for my Bud.

Just took these pics today and some of you will recognize plants you've shared, this year or last, in the two large pots next to our front door and also in the rectangular one.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine   Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9156313

Those are beautiful!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9156375

Thank you, LK. The kicker is I spied those planters and several larger ones next to our dumpsters last year. All brand new. Who throws stuff like that away?! I turned around so fast in the nearest driveway, my wheels spun gravel...lol My heart was still pounding when I showed hubby the loot in the back of my Explorer. We still get a good laugh about that day. Two of them I've never used and will need trees to fill them.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 7, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9156407

Wow, that is a great find!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9156417

Fruity those planters are really beautiful. I love the textures and the colors together. Would you come plant my planters in the city...please ;) What a dumpster find that is wow wow wow...good deal.

I am in the not mailed group yet also...rofl, think I have everything lined out and ready pretty much...

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2012
2:47 AM

Post #9156641

...drove by the post office the other day, and threw a box in thar. ...so, on it's way to...? Mexico?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9156731

Did anyone see the article yesterday on the pony tail palm trees in their native habitat? I got one of those in the tropical swap...how cool they look all grown up...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9156758

I saw that, they are really cool looking plants. I had no idea they got that big though!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9156801

Mine never made it to that size - for some reason pony tail palms are a delicacy to housecats!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9156858

Carolyn, every cat I have ever known and anybody who had a pony tail palm the cat chewed on those hard sharp leaves, I think that is so strange. I have a big one at the office where I work and it survives because their is no cat.

I will put the one I received in the swap where the cat can't get it because like yours, my Mom had one and the cat chewed every leaf off...very odd.

I thought that was a cool picture of the palms, doubt I would every live long enough to see mine grow up that big, I think they are slow growers. Just thought the timing was so perfect.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 8, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9157451

I'm also in the "yet to mail" group. I may need an extension depending on how this week goes with DH out of town again. :/

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2012

Post #9157644

Ditto that Carolyn!
scbuttercup
(Judy) Simpsonville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9157690

Got my package. Joyce (jsxtiger) sent me the most wonderful plant box. A sheffalaria, which I have SO been wanting, a couple draecena, a pepalomia (or something like that) and a zebra plant. I have to look this up, gotta find the right plant names and it's so late I guess I should get to bed. I will take photos of the plants, they are already planted and look so wonderful in their new planters.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9158309

Fantastic! i saw a bigger shep...but it would have ta beez a much...bigger box! lol glad to hear you are satisfied!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9158600

Max, my cat and the only one allowed inside, has never attempted to jump on my kitchen island where the Ponytail Palm is planted in a Friendship Bowl. Most of the time he only perches on the back of the couch or snoozes in his bed on my desk. Some of you know how THAT went in March when he turned a cup of coffee over on hubby's laptop I was borrowing. Not a good outcome on so many levels! All my kitties chew on Pampas Grass leaves. Jags and all don't seem to bother them. Sometimes I wish they'd chew more since those purported 'dwarf' Grasses are now well over 5' tall, still growing, and overshadow several Daylilies in the back of my Spider Garden that I may never see bloom this year. On another note, the cats scare the willies out of me when they're hiding or cooling off beneath the Dayliliy leaves and decide it's time to take off to chase a bird or a butterfly.

Jax, you always do a great job. Wonder if that could be a Peperomia plant, Judy? Never have had a Zebra Plant but have seen them and they are way cool looking.

Since a lot of us are in the 'yet to mail' group, I know most of you are veterans at packing plants and you know the drill, especially now since it's really warm or downright hot for most of us or your buddy. Just wanted to put out a few words of a caution to please not totally enclose plants in plastic bags or smother them with bubble wrap. As a filler if you need one, just use crumpled up papers or lightweight packing peanuts. That way the plants you share don't run the risk of root or leaf rot, or the whole plant(s) arriving smothered in a mushy pile. Instead, just pack them with wet roots simply wrapped in damp paper towels (use H2O Crystals if you have them), then place plants in the appropriate size baggies or use Saran Wrap secured with tape or rubber bands with the tops of the plants exposed. That's sufficient enough really any time of the year (except Winter when most of us aren't mailing plants anyway). Bulbs only need to be mailed in paper bags. OK, off my soap box about how to pack. I just want everyone's new ones to arrive safely and in good shape. There are also several 'Sticky Note' you can refer to in the Plant Trading Forum. Some cuttings can be shipped bareroot and others need to be dampened.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/planttrading/all/

I will say after receiving a lot of trades and swaps over the years, the sender has always packed carefully based on the plant's needs.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9158808

Good reminder fruity thank you.

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9158969

...hey fruity, thanks for the info...i always forgit bout the saran wrap! gotta remember...gotta remember! dont want nobodies ta git mushy plants! of course, i always giv mine a shot of bailey's ta travel on! hic! hic!

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9163315

Howdy ladies - just checking in to let you know I am getting ready to ship - official deadline yesterday? I did manage to get a couple of boxes out yesterday, but I'm behind on my trades just a tad. I'm thinking I'm not the only one - I checked Frooty's list and so . . ..

Hope my buddy is okay for a couple more days without a box - oh wait - mid week may not be best. Then I guess I'll be waiting till Saturday.

Kapish?!

xox.
A.

EDITED to say - OH - the week of the 11th. Then I'm okay :D

This message was edited Jun 13, 2012 8:21 AM

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9163438

Yep Amanda, you aren't the only one!! *guilty*

I'll be getting mine out in the next couple of days. I swears!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9165464

A little birdie told me one of you received your plants yesterday afternoon. Please give a shout-out here to thank your Buddy for them, even if you need to post a pic later.

My Buddy's box is delayed, not because I don't have the plants ready, but because she's enjoying a few days vacation.

Since this week with out suggested mail out date is almost over, if you haven't already mailed your Buddy's plants, please wait until Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday next week. If you are delayed longer, just let me know. And don't forget to please D-mail the Delivery Confirmation numbers you use to me privately.

These are our participants patiently awaiting their new plants:

AmandaEsq / Amanda
careyana / Carey
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
GAgirl1066 / Paula
taters / Linda Kay
toy747 / Lizette
Vinesnmore / Kat

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9165541

I was going to try to ship Saturday Froot - is that OH wait ... Never mind. I think my swap partner is also on hiatus. ...

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9165602

Manda, Considering where you're mailing, I've done the same thing from here on Saturday many times and the box has always arrived like clockwork on Monday. Whatever you think best is A-OK with me.

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9165672

Froot - sending you Dmail with question.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9165721

Got it and answered.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9165767

Thank you for the nudge Fruity!

I did receive my box. Mailman stopped by while I was running errands yesterday so I didn't see the box until this morning!

Carolyn sent me a GREAT box!!! She sent no fewer than six different callas - several bulbs of each! The very exciting part is most of the bulbs are already sprouting!

She also included a miniature fiddle leaf fig, a BLOOMING Bromeliad, a lovely clump of aeschynanthus gracilis and what I think is a white with purple edge violet? (please correct me if I'm wrong Carolyn!) - the violet had fallen out of the paper towel into the packing material so was drooping, but after a drink is much happier again.

Carolyn everything is gorgeous and I'm so excited about all of them. It's been a crazy few days so I'm really very sorry I didn't report in sooner.

I've gathered up my items and I was going to drop them off at the PO tomorrow. Thankfully, I know mine will keep fine! I just hope my buddy enjoys them!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2012
2:41 AM

Post #9165845

Carey

So glad the package arrived.

Thanks
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2012

Post #9166558

I will send on Monday, unless I go to the big city on Saturday our little town po suggested I not mail on Saturday if temps cold or hot were going to be a problem, but I have mail on a Saturday in the big city and it made it on a Monday also.

Did you all see the new privacy message when you logged in, don't know if it is a new company buying DG or just changing their privacy policy.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9169756

Fruity sorry for being so late, mine will go out tomorrow, today we are suppose to hit 98 and then a small cool front is suppose to come thru. I have them ready then walked out this morning and it was so hot already that I put them back indoors...

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9170551

Huzzah!

I received a squishy box today from our dear Careyana. :)

Is that how ya do it?

Well I received a bunch of seed and several live plants too - mostly natives which you know I love. Since some of them will be annual in my zone, we could call them tropical. :D

I have already sent her a dozen Dmails saying how I love EVERYthing. Especially Everything. And the box came in the middle of a crabby spell here at home, so it was timely as well.

Thank you thank you - I will post a list later, batteries on the camera are napping in the charger, so no photo either.

xox
A.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

June 21, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9174704

My box came today and wow, did Fruity spoil me! She sent a beautiful aligator fern, a varg. ficus, rubber tree and two different aralias. All beautiful and healthy! Susan, you did great and I love them all! You're such a wonderful person, thank you again!!

Here they are:

1 all of them
2 Aligator fern
3 rubber tree, aralias, ficus
4 Maggie - she wanted to take the picture...LOL

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066   Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9174762

Froot knows how to please! Nice box - what the heck is an aligator fern?!

Uh oh.

It is now officially summer and I now feel delinquent. :/

Hope the car thing and other stuff which has prevented me from getting my trades out resolve soon!

The good news - I have the green light to report to my new job on Monday. The bad news - still don't have a car! One of my wonderful neighbors has offered to lend me her car for the commute so I don't have to rent one.

cdMore to come.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012

Post #9175087

You're so welcome, Paula! Doesn't everybody in deep South GA need an Alligator Fern...lol I thought it was a cool looking plant and had to get it for you. I'm glad the rest arrived in tact too.

Great news, Manda, both on the new job and the loaner car.

Here's Mickey before his last grooming appt and now has hardly any fur left after his Summer haircut. Sometimes you just gotta stop and smell the flowers :)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2012
7:30 PM

Post #9175089

Awww Sweet Baby. :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9175130

Trust me, he's a 7 pound beasty boy who isn't nearly as innocent as he looks.

Thank you for letting me know the status of some of your boxes. At least one is in transit and may have already been delivered. The rest of you, please Dmail me the Delivery Confirmation numbers.

These are our participants who are waiting to receive:

careyana / Carey
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
taters / Linda Kay
toy747 / Lizette
Vinesnmore / Kat

Please remember to post a list of the plants you receive and a photo as a 'thank you' to your Buddy.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9176293

Oh no Fruity! I did receive my box from Ms Carolyn!!! I just never posted a picture. I finally found the camera last night (dead battery of course) so I just snapped a quick picture of them all potted up!

Beautiful blooming bromeliad, Miniature fiddle leaf fig, aechmenia? (sorry, I buried the tag) and a sad-looking violet. Not sure if I've over-watered, under-watered, or if it just didn't survive popping out of its baggie during transport. :( Not shown are the six types of calla bulbs that were also included - they're in the ground! :D

Thank you again Carolyn!!!

Thumbnail by careyana

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9177533

Thanks for keeping me straight, Carey.

One of you lucky ladies received plants Thursday. Please pop in and let us know what all you received with a photo, if possible.

Also, Kat, just checked and tracking indicates you received yours mid-May. Hope all's well with you.
toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 23, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9177672

I received mine on Thursday, sorry for not posting earlier. Crazy week.
I received an Oleander Pink, Pink Brugmansia and Stingray Elephant Ear.
All plants I did not have.
Thanks so much!
I will try and get a pic tomorrow.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9177785

Very nice selections, Lizette, and all of those are hardy for you. Lucky girl! There are beautiful Oleanders growing in the mediums on our way to the beach in NC. What a great job as always, happgarden ;)

Ladies, when I found Paula's Alligator Fern, I'm not exaggerating that there was a huge EE Stingray at least 8' tall in the nursery showroom marked 'sold' with an awfully hefty price tag. It had multiple stalks 2-3" diameter. Who knows how old that plant was and it had obviously been growing in optimum conditions. I'd never seen one in person and lifted one of the leaves in my hand in sheer amazement. A single leaf was well over 12" long and wide! I hope yours grows up to be just as big, Lizette. happgarden always chooses just the right plants for her partner. We're looking forward to seeing pics when you get a chance.

Waiting to receive:
Carolyn22 / Carolyn
taters / Linda Kay

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 24, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9178743

Hey fruity, can you root cuttings of the oleander?

Wow, that sounds like a huge EE?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9178788

Toy hope everything made it ok, it has been so darn hot here, way above normal. It makes me nervious...rofl.

Yes you can root oleander. One of our mg's took cuttings and rooted them from hers which we swapped and she gave me a rooted one pink single flower, which I then gave to toy. Suppose to be pretty easy just really slow.

The string ray ee is a baby from mine. I am amazed how much mine has grown (which I received in one of the tropical swaps) and how much the ducks like to eat it!!!! The ducks have trimmed all the bottom leaves off, they are so helpful... ;(

I have been working in the shade garden, still planting, splitting, and mulching. Trying to get my big tropicals out and about. We have had such awful winds that it has torn alot of things up.

careyana

careyana
(Carey) Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9179260

Happ, it's hot here too! My biggest problem this spring was our lack of winter! We had a complete overabundance of army worms and cutworms this year. I'm still pulling those icky things from me caladiums, daffs, EEs, etc. :(
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9179303

Carey that is yuky.
candles4u
Mount Vernon, IL

June 25, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9179903

Fruitie, I'm back! sorry I missed this swap looks like y"all had fun! put me down for the fall swap! i will be ready! Hero and dad-in-law are building me pergala! pictures will follow as we progress. Also I'm up to my ears in spider plants if anyone would like some for shipping cost. I've got a dozen or so mother plants and more babies everyday. check out my porch...

Thumbnail by candles4u   Thumbnail by candles4u   Thumbnail by candles4u   Thumbnail by candles4u   Thumbnail by candles4u

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9180260

candles ... I would love a start from your spider plants if you have somthing I don't. I have the regular green sp, green with white stripe down the sides of the leaves (sorry, don't know the names on these), and Bonnie Curly. I only know the name of it because I got a small start in another swap. :-)

Just let me know! Thanks!

Edited to change the green/white spider I have. White is down the sides of the leaves. not middle.

This message was edited Jun 28, 2012 11:46 AM

jsxtiger

jsxtiger
(jax) Dundalk, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9180754

...i would be extremely happy with a start, too, Please? I dont have any!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9180864

I was going to ask too - would it also be possible to get some cuttings from the wandering jew as well? I would like both green and green and white striped?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9181547

Happy Birthday Happ!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9188769

I got my box from Amanda, and as soon as I get to the desk top this afternoon, I will post pictures. Thanks so much for the wonderful plants and solar light, and water bulb. I love them all. She sent me two different agave plants, and a peperomia plant.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9188994

Here is what I got from Amanda, two wonderful agave plants, different types, one peperomia plan, one flower solar light, and a beautiful water bulb for the potted plants! Water bulb is in my irish moss!
Thanks so much Amanda. I love all of it!

Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55   Thumbnail by taters55

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 1, 2012

Post #9189361

The bulb looks so cute with the gnome. :)

I would not have known how to "use" the bulb if I hadn't read those instructions. Pretty high-tech gadget. And I admit I had to have a bulb of my own and a solar flower of my own.

I have enjoyed all of our swaps! Glad to finally get it in the mail to you LK.

We had a super time at the RU. You were missed, as were several others of this clan who attended in the past.

Goodnight all!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 1, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9189373

Hopefully I can make it next time!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9194440

Last but not least - I received my box from my buddy today! Thank you Paula! What a great box of goodies you sent. DH and I had gone out for today and had a nice day shopping and out to lunch. What a wonderful surprise to find Paula's box waiting for me. A nice ending to a perfect day!

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9194547

Oooooooo - pretty little everything! :)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2012

Post #9194606

Thanks everybody for another great round. We were even able to work around a couple of mini-vacations so no one's plants were left to melt in the heat.

Welcome back, Crystal (candles4u)...we missed you this time! Spider boys and girls are looking great. How's the pergola coming?

Traditionally, we've repeated this swap in the Fall. Should we do it again, about September?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #9194773

Sounds good to me Fruity! Thanks again for a great swap!

Love those plants you got Carolyn22!

goldhillal

goldhillal
(Crystal) Waverly, AL

July 6, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9195001

I found this on pinterest. It is about how to make a greenhouse out of a trampoline.

http://www.howdoesshe.com/how-to-create-a-greenhouse-out-of-a-trampoline

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 6, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9195023

That is a great transformation! Nice idea!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9197622

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268342/

Come and check out the fairy/gnome swap. It will be closing on the 13th!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9209477

After looking through my plants to do the perennial swap, I realized I have more houseplants than I thought I did!!!! I guess because I set everything in pots outside in the summer and move it back in over the winter! LOL Maybe I'll try this one after I get EVERYTHING ELSE caught up!!!!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9209731

[quote="Crit"Maybe I'll try this one after I get EVERYTHING ELSE caught up!!!![/quote]

I never get caught up - I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as caught up!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America