Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Surprise Surprise!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I WS two different columbine seed packs in the winter of 2010/11. My Lime Sorbet did nothing in the end, aside from sprouting and staying teeny weeney leaflets. I had 3 plants survive from what I thought was a packet of Nora Barlow. The pay-off has come this spring, seeing the plants shoot up flower stalks. Well... one plant looks like Nora Barlow. Another is about 3 times the size of the Nora looking plant and it bear tons of wine colored, spurred flowers. I am anxiously awaiting the 3rd plant's blooms. They appear to be spurred as well, but they also appear to be a soft, creamy off-white. I cannot recall if I got the seeds at Target or at Lowe's but I do know they were marked as Nora Barlow!
Crazy!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I love good surprises.

I never had good luck with columbines. I bought some plants last year, lets see what they do this year.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

My wild columbines reseed all over the back yard, so I'm just planting whatever varieties I like (in different areas) and waiting to see what happens next year =)

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I need to figure out how to post photos. It is very funny to have three very distinct looking plants come out of the same pack.

I also found a freak-of-nature delphinium at a local shop. It should be a light blue Pacific Giant but the blossoms are white with brownish-black edges. It looks like white blossoms lightly dipped in chocolate!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

those blooms sound lovely. well anything dipped in chocolate is lovely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.