Photo by Melody

Beekeeping: What medicines do you feed honeybees in springtime?

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 6, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Arob
toronto
Canada

April 21, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9092308

If you have more than twelve beehives in your apiary, then you probably feed some form of antibiotics or take some precautions against mites. Lately I have been helping a beekeeper near Niagara Falls Ontario Canada as he works to unwrap his beehives from winter hibernation. They are covered in black garbage bags.
I watch as this veteran apiarist feeds each hive small amounts of medicine in three successive visits - three doses each spring. He keeps Oxysol 62.5 mixed with white cane sugar about 20:1 in a vacuum sealed glass container in the truck, and we sprinkle one tablespoon full on the top bars of every beehive we inspect and find alive in the month of April. This will protect the hive from American Foulbrood and European Foulbrood, otherwise known as Chalk Brood. These are bacterial infections - both are diseases that decompose or otherwise transform the Queen's eggs into smelly brown gravy.

I am researching an article on natural ways to protect beehives from disease and I could use all of your knowledge... how do you winter your bees? What medicines do you feed them? to keep them healthy and help them resist American Foulbrood?

Thumbnail by Arob   Thumbnail by Arob   Thumbnail by Arob   Thumbnail by Arob   Thumbnail by Arob
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Ray4852
Arcade, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9094430

The only way to prevent american foulbrood. keep your hives strong. Weak hives bring on bee diseased. The only medication I use in my hives is Fumagilin-B. everybody has some kind of Nosema in their hives. I wont use medication to treat mites. Medication for mite treatment help bring on bee diseased by weakling a hive. chalk brood is a fungus. it is caused by a moisture problem in a hive.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
4:04 AM

Post #9095489

Ray, tell us more about Fumagilin-B.
How often do you use it. Thanks
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #9095502

Ray - how do you treat for mites?
Ray4852
Arcade, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9095598

http://www.beesource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-239356.html

I add Fumagilin-B to my sugar syrup for one feeding during Autumn before its time to put the bees to bed for the winter. follow the directions on the bottle.
Ray4852
Arcade, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9095633

http://www.masterbeekeeper.org/pdf/dronecomb_exchange.pdf
http://www.pierco.net/products_dronecomb.htm

I use drone comb to kill mites in my hives. put the drone comb in number 3 position. leave it there for 25 days. Take it out and put in another new frame. freeze the first one in the freezer till its time to use it again. you need two frames for each hive. the bees will clean up the comb with the dead drone larva and mites in it. I do this treatment 4 times during the bee season.

yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9095781

Interesting Ray. Thanks for sharing that with us

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America