ugly AC units

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

hello. i have two large ugly ac units and i'd like to find a way to disguise them. are there any technical problems i need to think about before planting anything around them?

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

You can't block the airflow to them.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

so it would be a good idea to keep most of it exposed? the air is pulled through the sides right...i don't really know how they work

Durhamville, NY(Zone 5b)

As far as I know yes. I don't see a problem with something growing a couple of feet from them as long as it isn't something like a solid bed. I wouldn't let vines grow on the though.

Greenfield, OH(Zone 6a)

You'll want to keep plants away a minimum of 2 feet. You could build a small fence with spacing between the slats to allow air flow. You'll also want to maintain distance for maintenance.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

You might also consider a lattice type enclosure, set far enough from the
unit to not affect air flow. Using any kind of growing plant opens the possibility for
trouble down the road when the plants get large.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

thank you all for your helpful responses! Dawn, that link is fantastic, i need to read through it again.
i was thinking maybe Florida uses special units because they have them in completely open southern exposures. hmm. i will let you all know my decision for feedback.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

as for what type of a plant or vine to grow near a unit, something deciduous could work slightly better if you have a heat pump. That way, sun is shaded from the unit in summer, but allowed thru in winter. (of course, much depends on actual placement of the unit in regards to the south or west)

Englemann's Ivy (Virginia Creeper, Woodbine) I believe loses it's leave in winter.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 8:56 AM

Missouri City, TX

I had boxwoods at a previous house, but had to prune at least annually to allow access. Have nothing at this house due to hose bib access and serviceability.

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I have considered extending my fence such that our unit would be in my 'backyard' where the dog is. Could probably position the end panel to shade the unit. Help protect it from copper thieves as well.

Dunno if it violates zoning or other rules - some folks may need to check with their HOA or local code enforcement.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images