Photo by Melody

Texas Gardening: TEXAS: its a whole nother world, thankfully !

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 138, Views: 829
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9092696

Welcome Carrie, who will be moving here
shortly from the cold, dark north.

I thought, as a welcome gift, it would be
nice to tell (prepare,LOL) her how things
are down here.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9092701

Who's Carrie & from what cold, dark north is she coming ?

Are you going to give her free air conditioning for the summer, so she can breath ?

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9092704

You will not need to change out your
winter wardrobe and summer wardrobe.

Occasionallty it will snow overnight and
be hot by afternoon - or vice-versa.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 22, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9092789

Well to be honest with her you should also tell her that many people stay in doors for a long hot time down here. I would take a cold winter for a nice spring summer and fall myself.

Carrie, people are friendly and from all over the world so you will find it a nice place to live. But, hot does not even begin to describe how miserable the weather can be...
On a happier note, you can grow some cacti outdoors.
Cheryl

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9092910

And take hope because some if us former northerners do think that the hot summers are a worthwhile exchange for the milder winters. I'm never moving north again!

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9092991

You can wear sandals, shorts, white shoes
and accessories and pastel colors all year
round, or r, if you prefer, long pants, sweaters
indoors and black all the time (but it will just
make you feel hotter.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 22, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9093001

I would agree with you Dennis but another summer like the last one might just change my mind...
2ndChance
Tempe, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 22, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9093006

No matter how freakin hot it gets - you'll NEVER have to stand outside and scrape the sun off your windshield.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9093015

LOL,2nd

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9093019

newton, it isn't HOT yet, and from where north? Texas has a LOT of different regions- desert to seashore - to piney woods, or even the prairies, but best of all, whenever anyone comes home to the Texas borders, you can here em shout I'm HOME! There's NOWHERE like Texas! (Of course, we understand when that is also the downside of being home) Chuckl

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9093114

You can't stand on a frozen lake & fish like here.
Snow skiing don't go good there either, I bet.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9093180

We have BLUEBONNETS !
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 22, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9093232

LOL I do enjoy this argument! No but when its a 106 I have to wipe the sweat off my face.
C

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9093249

Cheryl, I heard they do that in MA & ME & MI & MN, too !

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9093332

Yes, I wipe the sweat off at night in the winter wherever I sleep, but that's a different thread!

Thank you very kindly for starting this thread in my honor. (I'm Carrie, and I approve this thread?) I don't know what to say! How about I'm ALWAYS cold in other people's air conditioning so I'm a little worried about movie theaters, restaurants, other people's cars and houses but I'm sure we can work something out. DH and I always go somewhere warm on vacation -- ice fishing or even skiing or ice skating are activities that have never held any appeal for me, although I agree you would have an easier time doing them in MN than in TX. (I love to swim, especially in the warm ocean, like the Caribbean, so that's what I'm thinking of when I talk about hot vacations.)

DH works for JetBlue, which is starting at DFW in May. We can fly to Aruba or Mexico for free, which is the only way we can afford to, as long as we go at the wrong time of year. I can't imagine my bones being as cold after the short slightly cooler Texas winter as they are after the very long cold New England, nor can I imagine going to Mexico from Texas the way you would go from Boston (I would go) when it's April or May, not so touristy but I'm not warmed up yet. No, I think I will be warmed up! So now maybe we will travel in Texas to see all the things I never saw--or back East to see my parents.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9093333

If you veggie garden, you can garden in the "winter" here!

During the summer, you learn to do things in the very early mornings or after dark when it's "cooler".

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9093336

Carrie, you'll feel like you're in Aruba or Mexico without leaving home!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9093338

I tried tomatoes in MA--I had to use super fast ripening ones and still barely had time to ripen completely, although hornworms did me in before frost did. But they were SO MUCH WORK for so few wimpy tomatoes; I should have tried potatoes.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9093343

I did buy a new bathing suit...but that's to cover my new surgery scar.

It's really hard to know what to pack. The 'relocation company' will move whatever we want moved (only one piano, the bums) and no live plants (as I said, the bums) but conceivably stuff like lawn furniture or potting soil or toothpaste that I stocked up on. We didn't think we'd be moving! He told me he wouldn't get the job, he was too old, they were sure to chose someone younger, hipper, sexier, whatever. Yadda yadda yadda. So I continued stocking up on all the stuff we always need, and now we have a lot of stuff!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9093347

Snow in Texas is limited to Amarillo in the shade, we do our skiing in the water. And we siesta after lunch, chuckle

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9093352

Thats a bad habit, that stocking up, sorry, what you bring you'll be able to use or trade, safer down here than losin it to critters- or electric power outages- or floods.
msgrubbyfungus
North Richland Hills, TX

April 22, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9093365

I second Stephanie, you can go out and pick something for dinner for your garden year round.

dfwdennis

dfwdennis
Grapevine, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9093372

Other than the weather and the friendly people, the next best thing about Texas is the food! BBQ and mexican are at the top of my list. I am really convinced that I was born in the wrong part of the country...

We just had brisket at Baker's Ribs in Dallas. I highly recommend it.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9093374

It does snow here in North Texas, about once every other year or so. We do get ice frequently, which is worse than snow. Here's my street, Feb, 2011.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 22, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9093386

Now I never produced as much sweat as I do here in TX. The first time sweat ran down my face, I thought a bird pooped on me! That is a true story. I always thought I was lacking in sweat glands but not now.
I have learned to like dry rub BBQ, so that is a definate plus.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9093396

It's neat seeing the towns you guys are from. I mean we just got back from a week in TX house-hunting a car-shopping. So now I mostly know sort of where Grapevine, Arlington and North Richland Hills are relative to each other and to Dallas or Fort Worth. I've been lurking around this forum just as an impartial observer -- probably the first time I came as a guest was in March or so -- but the names of the places didn't mean anything to me. But we looked at a house in North Richland Hills.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9093435

Don't forget sports are VERY important here! In the DFW Metroplex, you have the Dallas Stars (hockey), Dallas Mavericks (basketball), Texas Rangers (baseball) and Dallas Cowboys.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9093462

Yeah, I've heard that from other people, too. I only know the rules to baseball...what a loser.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9093464

That's okay because the Rangers have been better than any of the others the past several years! LOL

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9093477

Tou hear many languages around here- especially Spanish,
English, Texan, and Spanglish

Pretty soon you will find yourself using some of the same
words

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9093482

In Texas we dont need no
stinkin snow tires!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9093494

That's a relief! No stupid little things to put down on top of the icy patch when your all-weather tires aren't working, right, not those instead? It's not a cruel joke, NO GETTING STUCK IN SNOW PERIOD? I totally didn't think about that. I was just thinking about not being cold, or what if I were cold. I forgot about how awful driving in the winter is! And EVERY year I get stuck in the driveway at least once. OMG.
msgrubbyfungus
North Richland Hills, TX

April 22, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9093516

While that is true Baja I have to say that on the rare occasions when it does snow here this snowgirl (spent about half my life in very snowy climates) won't leave the house. It's not that I don't know how to drive in the snow... (I'll let you finish that sentence) :)

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9093517

wELL occasionally in an ice storm we will get stuck in the ice ib the driveway
and have to wait no more than a few hours to a day for EVERYTHING to
melt

But when we have an ice stirm, EVERYTHING sgurs down and peope
other than emergency personnel just stay gome

When ice is predicred, there is a run on the grocery stores
for victuals and firewood abd just enjoy the day or two off
and nest !

A time for baking cookies, making lasagne and hot chocolate,
irish coffee and chili .

Since it happens so seldom,it is a holiday !

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9093538

dinsihing the sentence:

because Texans DONT KNOE hoe to drive in icy weather ~

And it true - I am native Texasm from tropical Texas.

When we moved here 25 years ago, it lightly snowed and
I innocently drove to work in the snow - and of more than
80 employees I was the only one who showed up !

and it was payday and they STILL didnt show

I didnt know we would get paid leave ... I learned MY lesson !
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 22, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9093552

Wow! I can't keep up with this welcome... sounds like Ms Carrie is coming home.

I was going to comment on the occasional snow. It is a holiday as Baja said. The schools close and folks stay home. When we first moved here, there was a snow and DH was the only tracks into town to work. Even my boss called and said stay home. I thought Yippee!

I think you will love the climate and not to worry about the heat. Everything is airconditioned. You can work outdoors and come in to cool down when needed.

BTW, after your comment about your honey "he was too old, they were sure to chose someone younger, hipper, sexier, whatever" you better look at that guy closer. LOL

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2012
8:04 PM

Post #9093611

Only thing about Dallas Stars is they had to get them from Minnesota. At the time Dallas had no idea what hockey was.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 22, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9093674

No getting stuck in the driveway Carrie and definately no snow tires, chains etc. I always stick up for my northern (yankee) roots but its all for fun. It is hotter than hell here but it beats a long dark and very cold winter. Besides, I like cactus and find Texans a very friendly and proudful lot. Welcome and I know you will enjoy your new home as much as I do.
Cheryl
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9093697

Carrie, when I first moved to Texas (from North Louisiana) chuckle. I was attending the University of Houston and got out of my car at school dressed in jeans and a sweat shirt. Out of the car ahead of me in the next row a woman got out of her car, zipped up a fur lined parka, pulled the hood up and tied it under her chin before hiking to class. It was 45*. I almost died laughing. The joke is on me however, after living here for about 10 years, I was doing the same thing. When I first got here, I remember thinking that if an alien landed here in August, he would go back and report the planet too hot for human habitation. Ive adjusted to the heat somewhat as well. Texas creates a sort of opposite world where you need your sweater or coat in the summer because the AC is so cold in buildings and in the winter the buildings are so hot you need to wear something cool under your winter coat so you can take off your coat and be comfortable. There are a lot more bugs here than you are probably used to. My house was new when I moved here and my first set of plants were all eaten completely. Later I was able to get a little ecosystem going with frogs and lizards and some things began to survive. I still dont have a solution for the mosquitos. IF ANYONE DOES, PLEASE POST HERE.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9093909

LOL on the parka. We felt that way when we first moved to the south from MN. Laughing at the kiddos wearing mittens and parkas on their way to school when we were in short sleeves. Now, the blood has thinned out. Never owned long johns till we moved here and now, if I put them on, I keep them on all winter. Guess the joke is on me but it is a damp cold and rather bone chilling.

Bernie ~ you sound like my husband. He grumbles as there are rarely players on any of the sports teams that grew up in the state they are representing. All it takes is money...

On the mosquitoes, we have a customer that wears those spiral citronella bands around his hat and his cuffs. Rather looks like one of those aliens you mentioned Steadycam. LOL Kristi

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9094253

One solution for the skeeters is to
wear Avon Skin So Soft.

Loonie1

Loonie1
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9094435

I tried Avon Skin So Soft one time and was nearly eaten alive. Mosquitoes LOVE that stuff on me.

Welcome to Texas, Carrie. I moved here from Michigan in 1980 and absolutely love it. I hate cold weather and even the H*ll On Earth summer we had last year wasn't enough to make me change my mind. You will get used to the heat and you will love the winters. And being able to work in the flowerbeds year round!!

Carla
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9094577

The mosquitos around here just laugh at skin so soft and Deep Woods off only lasts a couple hours. I dont know which I hate the most, getting eaten alive or spraying some awful chemical on my skin that tans it into leather. Im outdoors a LOT and I find that just about dusk they are the worst so I plan around that time period if possible.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9094612

Many varieties of roses bloom all yeat tound, including Novemver
December January and February

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #9094614

Hey, Carrielamont!

Don't know if you remember me from the Coleus threads of 2007, when I first joined DG!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

One good thing about becoming a Texan is that you'll be able to save on gas and electricity for cooking. We can scramble eggs on the sidewalk here in the summer. Which, BTW, lasts from around April to October.

Also, you can forget that "Winter-Spring-Summer-Fall" thing. Here, we go from Fall to an overnight chill, to about 1 week of pure heaven, then straight to H - - L. Truly makes you wanna walk the "straight and narrow..."

Only thing I like better about Houston weather vs. my native Louisiana weather is it's less humid here. You only need to wring out your clothes once in awhile...oh, and there aren't any nutria rats...ok...

Holler!
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9094629

Carrie, AC is not an option here as you have probably guessed. Your house must have it, your car must have it and where you work must have it. It is expensive too. Ask to see the electric bill for a house before you take it. Good insulation in a house is the key to a lower electric bill. Look in the attic and see how many inches of insulation is there, ask about insulation in the walls. On the bright side, heating bills are quite low especially if you heat with natural gas vs electricity. Generally speaking gas appliances are less expensive to run than electric ones. Choose a house with gas appliances if you have the option.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9094806

Dallas doesnt have the humidity Houston does, even in dry summers- the ac tonnage is higher per sq ft in Houston because of the humidity- But Texas doesnt pay for the electric nor gas bills like the neast corner, we dont make the pay either, so it evens out. The roads unfortunately are being turned into toll roads instead of freeways-but I doubt there's very many Texans that know what pikes are- or Twnships either, chuckle. Yup to the mosquitoes, dunks in standing water, always empty uncovered standing water, and they dont like breezes nor sun, and we have little native fishes named mosquito fish, and citronella bushes, and none of em last on our hungry skeeters. If you go to Houston, beware of the Nile virus those beasties carry if the season shows up. There are supposed to be certain colors that attract mosquitoes- as well as the salt and sugar we eat drawing them, oh, well. Enjoy your stay, gtg back to work.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9094832

What a complicated place to live. Here you get up in the morning, go about your business, go out to eat at your favorite restaurant, dining on the patio, then maybe home to sit out on the deck for the rest of the evening. Farmers raise soybeans here, so no mosquitoes.
Wring out your clothes, wow!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9094843

Come on now... you've heard about tall Texas tales. LOL But it is definitely not boring.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 23, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9094855

Hey! I don't have any roses that bloom in December or January? Are you all holding out on me?
C

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9094856

Mosquitoes usually prefer my daughter--I'll just make sure she's upwind of me. I'm worried though, because every time I've been to Texas so far, I have packed for heat, and have been freezing in the AC. Even in the hotels, I can't seem to get things adjusted right so that I'm comfortable. I'm either hot, sweaty, and sleepless, or cold, icy, and sleepless. I really hope that once we are in our own bed in our own house with our own food I will sleep better. Otherwise, I won't play!

Once or even twice or three times a year I write an article for DG about being cold, gardening in the cold, rainy, short season in New England, not taking my lung underwear off, or some topic related to being cold. I'm hoping that this move will provide me with a fresh batch of things to write about! But I'm worried I may have packed my down parka too soon. Every time (so far) that I've come to visit, it has rained and/or I've been cowering in the frozen front aseat of someone's car. (Brrrrr.)

I hate to admit it, but a lot of people around here don't know how to drive in the snow and ice either. Especially kids or new drivers. People who have never driven standard transmission. People who weren't listening during driver's ed. And we make panic trips to the grocery store too. But it all will be a learning curve!

My husband will have to work 365 days a year as his job counts as an emergency utility transportation type of thing, but I am happy to stay home. I read a l-o-n-g trhead on the Tomato Gardening forum today and I am psyched...can't dig in the yard.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9094868

We have lots of mosquitoes here too, that "no standing water" isn't just Texas. Remind me to check on the screen door! The house is brick with AC, electric stove, hmmm I can't remember what kind of heat, as long as they have internet so I can log on to DG.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 23, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9094974

just remember if "God had intended for TEXANS to ski he would have made B____ ___T white "

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9094993

If the stove is electric,, prolly
the heat, water heater and
everything is also electric.

One must have is a BBQ pit,
so you can sit outside on the patio
and enjoy yourselves, we do that
all tear round

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9094999

You are probably right, right about that. I have an old crappy charcoal kettle but not worth bringing--but if we pack EVERYTHING we will just end up with a bunch of junk out there.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9095028

Meant to tell you yeaterday- all that little stuff
they said they cant load - just put it into
boxes and seal em up.

But dont bother with things that arent really
inportant. There is wonderful shopping.
magnificent estate sales and garage sales and
excellent antique shopes and antique malls in
this aea.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9095048

We have gas heat and water, but electric stove. Helps save on the electric bill.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9095108

Stephanie, whatever the house has, it has. We already signed the lease, so I guess we'll take what we get.

Baja, yeah, I was thinking of that idea. They're supposed to do the packing, but if some of it is already packed, what can they do, unpack and then repack it?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9096501

nope, if its boxed and fits the space, its sent. You will have central air, it dries out the air indoors. some folx add a cool mist vaporizer and it helps warm up indoor air, i always have my fan goin no matter the temps, and IF you are lucky enough, you will find that keeping temps to a certain range will help your tolerances of outdoor heat an cold, - better than just yankin the t'stat aroun-which is why my fan is where i am.
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9096596

Carrie, its important to remember that when the plant tag says "full sun", it may not mean Texas sun. North Richland Hills is a nice area and they have a great public water park. There are a lot of great things to do in the Metroplex. There are some outstanidng art museums in both Ft. Worth and Dallas. But you have to try to visit the Hill Country in the spring and see the bluebonnets. Its like nothing you've ever seen. And if you really want to experience Texas, head west on I-20 on a Friday night in the fall and check out a high school football game. Out west we take our high school football real serious, mainly 'cause we don't have anything else to do.;)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9097161

Rampbrat, yes, I sort of deduced that, because in BOSTON full sun isn't FULL SUN, I mean I can sun burn a plant here by putting it in the sun too soon, or I myself can get a sunburn with this piddling sun here, so your sun in Texas is real SUN. I'm thinking High Country Gardens has plants you guys can grow--I always lust after their catalogs but my eastern climate is too soggy.

Last time ww flew into Austin it had just rained...late March I think...and the BLUEBONNETS WERE BLOOMING! I had heard of them, I have even written about thm and I have seen pictures but never seen them in person! OH!!! No wonder! My DIL had a picture on facebook -- she lives in DFW and is not a gardener but she does like parks and hiking and she posted a glorious picture.
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 25, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9097657

I have ordered from them at least 5 times Carrie, with mixed results. Some plants have been nice but a lot have been quite small without well developed roots.
C

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9097672

Newtonsthird--you're Cheryl, right? Anyway, yeah, sometimes the stuff from there is super wonderful (until it doesn't make it through mud season, or ice season), sometimes I just look and don't order, and sometimes I am very impressed. Once or twice I was Very Impressed until the plant didn't make it through mud season. ^_^ After that happened enough times, I just stopped ordering, since I am way too wet for their plants anyway.

Newton's Third Law is what, exactly? That's not one of the Laws of Thermodynamics (heat travels from a hotter body to a colder body), is it?
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 25, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9097681

One of the laws of motion, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. You won't have to worry about a wet season here...
rampbrat
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9097686

I've had better luck with Santa Rosa Gardens, but of course there are a lot of great nurseries in the Metroplex. Some of the things that do well in the desert southwest, don't like east Texas humidity.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9097702

Ah, yes, the equal and opposite RE-action law.

Oh, right, Santa Ana emails me all the time.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9098889

Welcome Carrie. I'm another transplant (from the Chicago area). When DH came home and said we needed to move our business and to pick somewhere I said I wanted to move at least two planting zones above where I was in Chicago. I e-mailed him a copy of the USDA zone map and he started to work. NE Texas is where we landed and I love it. Hope you do too!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9099008

Hah! That's a great story! I am sick of hearing myself complain about the winter all year. I don't mind the heat, at least from this perspective I don't. (Still under my down comforter in Boston, that is.)

It's all hypothetical so far, but moving day has been set, we've signed a lease, DH has signed a contract, grand-kids want him to move in there but but I'm pretty sure his son and our daughter-in-law would not be so thrilled with the idea!

I'm bound and determined to love it for at least two years (the old college try we've all heard of). After that I may admit to be a little overwhelmed by the heat, but not before, lol.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9099060

By the time you go thru 2 winters, you will see
hrat yje heat is worth it !

I am praying for a mild summer with rain

... and smiling cuz we sleep with comforters
year round and a/c on ! smile

Makes for wonderful sound, deep sleep !
and whie noise of ceiling fan abd a/c is
like a lullaby.

In early am we turn off the a/c and waje
to birdsong.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #9099074

It does sound lovely. I hate sleeping in a hotel! (I'm home right now, ie back in Boston, packing. Hubby is in DFW working already.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

April 28, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9101615

Carrie, I dont know what part of Texas you are coming to but ... bring your Hostas! Just bring the bare roots! :) I will tell you what to do with them when you get here. lol
Hopefully you are coming to North Texas. ;)
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!

Sylvia

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9102475

If you don't bring your hostas...Sylvia will sell you some! :-))

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9102581

I would have to keep them in pots! (for two years, then give them back)
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

April 29, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9102637

What do you mean Carrie?
Sheila, not true! I give away more Hostas locally than I sell wholesale. I tried retail, it dont work for me. I just sent Chuck in Plano and Shawna in KY two big bags. I ordered 100 bare roots for the Dallas Catholic Diocese, now if I can get over there to plant them. :)

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9102722

Oh, I thought you were still selling them.
Carrie...do you mean you will only stay in TX two years??

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9102755

The current tentative plan is to stay in DFW until DH retires. He will be eligible in 2.5 years. So we have to stay at least that long. We will probably stay as long as we love it, but AT LEAST 2.5 years, no matter how we feel! I truly hope we love it, I do, moving is too stressful! And as he keeps pointing out, he may have a blast and love it. The last time he was in Texas he was 18 y o and in the USAF and loved it (away from home for the first time, out of NY for the first time)! We love to travel.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9102958

Hopinh you love it gere ...

Many advantages to retiring here,
many. many people do it !

There are only two places in the world
I eiah to live in: Texas or Mexico.

Both have beaches, mountains, tropics,
birds, butterflies, and plants.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9102997

Me too, Baja! I do not wish to move twice, and I would like nothing more than to move there and love it to death! I like Mexico too, btw.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9103033

Anytime you need a guide or translator,
just holler !

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9103041

Si, senora.
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9109833

Welcome to Texas, Carrie! Hope you love it here as much as some of us do.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9110373

I very much hope to love it! It would be so wonderful to love it, and I am starting to dislike Boston! I can't dislike everything..some people do and I don't want to be one of those people.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9110450

Carrie, be warned!! It's already in low 90s with high humidity. :/

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9110498

The heat today is pretty rough for sure. But every area has it's faults.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9110526

It's FREEZING back here...I'm in bed with the covers up to my knees. Do you guys all have tans and lie out in bikinis all summer?

patrob

patrob
Goldthwaite, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9110687

In our dreams, maybe, but Texas sun can cook you to a crisp in no time. Seriously.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9110769

You will probably find less tans here than in MA. We chuckle as our MN kinfolk will get out the bikinis and sunbathe at 50 degrees if the sun is shining.

Here I "a/c bathe" during the heat of the day and work the yard/garden in the morning or evening when the sun is weaker.

This humidity is grim right now. The 'wind' map keeps showing it being drawn off the gulf. C'mon rain!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9110777

Ok, Kristi. haha. I remember your wind map. A/c bathe1

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 4, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9110931

But when the sun isn't up, the mesquitoes are out to get you!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9111584

I'll go home then, or in then. (Back-peddling here.)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9119167

Tans are different in different states, Texas tan resembles leather, Calif tans are 'golden beaches' tan - seriously, was told we had a mini quake in Nacogdoches today- see- we have a bit of everything!

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 10, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9119198

Did you deel it ?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9119493

My fb friends say they have them up in OK a lot but most they never feel.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9119501

me? no
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9119544

Didn't Burleson or points west have lots of small ones a year or two past?

They are suspecting the Nac earthquake is possible fracking issues here also.
Lots of gas wells have been drilled in this area over the past two or three years.

http://www.ktre.com/story/18253128/39-earthquake-hits-east-texas
grits74571
Talihina, OK

May 11, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9119617

Coming from shakyland I will tell you why you don't feel most of the quakes it has to do more with the depth shallow faults cause the real damage if you want track the quakes go to the USGS site it is very complete will show the time and severity as well as how deep..In Nevada we lived practically on top of a shallow fault it was quite active but also very small ..It was more annoying than anything else,,

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9120540

There were several quakes down in Cleburne last year. They also think those were caused by the drilling going on.

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9121360

Carrie
when is your ETA ?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9123740

I was there last weekend, now I'm back in Boston for MD appointments and so on. Absolutely in Euless full time permanently after June 1! OMG!!! Can't wait for a real bed, stuff like that. Cooked food instead of drive-through, etc. (DH is on the Aerobed, poor thing.)

BajaBlue

BajaBlue
Rancho Santa Rita, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9240586

Well Carrie ?

Please share your thoughts
on living in Texas so far...

Texas hugs

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9240612

Maybe we better not ask her, I don't think she is too thrilled with the heat we are having.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 14, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9240925

She is likely thinking like an old friend was when told that he could either except a transfer to Empire Nv. or hell ,he said " I din't know it was the same place" untill I got here ..

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9241205

Bahahaha!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9241346

Very funny Grits!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9241704

It's ummmm HOT. But I'm having fun! Everyone I'm meeting is from somewhere else--Iowa, Idaho, Georgia, elsewhere.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9244401

We import a lot of folx into Texas, usually they bring their cultures with them- and food! Closer to Houston the trail rides and chili Cookoffs are happening - then toward San Antone there are the beer festivals, flea markets, strawberry festivals, summers end rodeos, but, look around! Our nickname for Euless is Useless, Bedford- Bedroom, etc
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9244465

Hostas are basic low plants for any yard or pot in Texas . Sylvia just sent me a big bag and if I don't get her postage in the mail she'll think I'm a deadbeat .
I'm posting from Georgia but have to have my Texas winter , six months out of the year . I ARE a born TEXAN ! God smiled on me .

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2012
10:13 AM

Post #9244636

Yes, I've heard of Useless Euless. What do you call Hurst?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9244644

I call William rich

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9245042

Useless Bedroom Hurts
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 17, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9245066

Texas grassburrs hurts too .

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #9245303

Chuckl, Texas is a Lot like Arizona in that, if it doesn't stick you, bite you, scratch you, claw you, or poison you, it isn't native, I can name more stickers than grassburs to cause bodily harm to you, chuckl
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 18, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9245434

I've been pulling them up by the roots , before the stickers get hard , for three years . I think my neighbor brought them in on the tires of his lawn mower when he does me a favor and mows while I'm out of state .

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9245519

They lay dormant for abt 5 yrs, animals carry them in too

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9245669

hahaha Useless Bedroom Hurts! I think it's hurting DH more than me!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9246064

Chuckl, it really is sad, I do feel for what he's having to deal with, hadn't expected that to EVER make sense to me, was nicknamed along with Cowtown long before my time.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 7, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9268364

Cowtown is my stomping grounds (Fort Worth) for Carrie, who probably doesn't know. It is also "where the west begins" (Will Rogers once said). We are a laid back though cultural too, home loving, Texas loving city. A restaurant once had T-shirts made that said " In Dallas it's Sushi...in Fort Worth it's bait".

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9268561

Hahahaha that's a good one. Except of course, coming from the place where they actually CATCH the fish, we are terrified to eat fish out here. Way too far from the ocean. DH is at the airport all day watching shipments of frozen seafood thaw out and get re-frozen when they get picked up 4 hours later after a delay. (Shudder.) Not eating sushi in Dallas! I had a wonderful tuna steak in Las Colinas before we moved but knowing what I know now...no way.

Btw there's a lobster surplus in Maine this year for some reason, so they are trying to think of more ways to use it--lobster butter and jelly sandwiches? Kraft lobster and cheese? McLobster sandwiches in the kids' meals?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9268568

Yeah, seafood is best close to where it's caught- not that I eat any of it with a seafood allergy- can't even stomach the fish pills Dr wants me to take, yuk, shudder,

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9268574

I was allergic to something a few weeks ago and the ER nurse told me I was allergic to TEXAS. Very helpful. Not.

No, don't eat fish. Are you allergic to all seafood, or crustaceans (lobsters, shrimp, crabs), or fish (uh, cod, tuna, trout) or bivalves (oysters, clams, scallops, mussels)?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #9268582

Crawfish, shrimp, clams taste filthy, I can eat albacore tuna, black tip shark and occasionally salmon- if I can stand to smell them it's a good sign. But even lobster slams my throat into air gasps just to touch- and my lips pouf up lumpy as well, chuckl, shrug, I don't miss them cuz I have never been able to enjoy them.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9268717

Well this morning it is 65 here. Had a nice cold front come in and cooled it off. I forgot what a cool breeze felt like it had been so long!
Carrie...The doctor probably meant the enviroment is different with plants and dust that carry things you haven't been subjected to before. I know to take Alavert this morning because the wind out of the north brings Mountain Cedar and other things my nose and eyes can't tollerate.
I am off to play in the river today...hope everyone has a great day!

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9268734

Have fun Sheila and Herman!!!
I will be helping at OSGray park.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 8, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9268823

Pick you up some local honey, helps get your body used to all the things in Texas that you stand, of course, when Texas wants to, even the allergy pills are overwhelmed, chuckl, you will see people wearing dust masks who aren't giving in to our wealth of pollens infiltrating the air.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9271210

kitt, lobster, shrimp, crab, crawfish, all those things with legs are crustaceans, and if you're allergic to one, you're probably allergic to them all. (my kids' father was horribly allergic to them, so I always had to watch them to see if the kids were allergic too.) Fish fish, like tuna and salmon, are quite different except for the little detail about breathing underwater. While you're traveling, maybe you'll be near some actually fresh fish! Fish shouldn't smell "fishy" just like meat shouldn't smell like a dead cow, lol.

I've heard that about local honey, too, but I've also read studies that refute that belief. Honey can't hurt, though. Whatever I was allergic to was definitely not airborne, but it's gone now and I hope it NEVER returns.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 10, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9271329

Oh Carrie , I've heard that about honey too . Seems to me if it's clover honey , or whatever , it may be true you could build an immunity to clover , or whatever . I don't see it helping with anything else tho .
No matter what I eat , my nose and sinuses stop up for awhile .I guess , looking at me , you'd know I'm not allergic to food . LOL (Or maybe I am )
grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 10, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9271393

for me it is the sap of various things that I some times have to trim esp. Privit If you don't know about Privit it is a hedge plant that spreads like mad when I have to trim it I wear a full face resperator otherwise I am gasping like a fish out of water..
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 10, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9271454

Fifty years ago , the nurseries were selling privit rootings for a penny apiece . Enough people in this area bought them that they spread worse than Johnson grass . I get little sprigs come up all of a sudden the last coupla years that I pull up around 35 a season . Mowing them off just makes them sprout out thicker at the bottom .We have fields of them .

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9271496

Local honey is good. Add your herbs, and mints to it to flavor it-use in that good ol antioxidant- a cup of hot tea, yummmm. My allergy is to me- the whites of my eyes puff up and burn like fire when I get a viral sinus infection- I dont even rub my eyes or wear makeup, no no no.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 10, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9271561

Digger...I am alergic to too much food, makes me swell up! LOL! Sorry, couldn't help myself... ;-)

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9271703

Well, I happen to have the same affliction Sheila!!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 11, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9271704

I LIKE honey in hot tea with lots of lemon .
Affects me the same way Sheila
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 11, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9271706

Are we goofy , or what ?

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 11, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9271710

Yes we are, but it is fun!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9272166

Boy, I was NEVER goofy back home, no way, you guys are SO MUCH GOOFIER than DG members on the east coast, omg, NOT. I think goofy tends to find goofy, and I found you guys, or you-all, so there you have it. Goofy will out, or goofy of a feather tends to goof together, or haven't they thought of a cliche for us yet?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 11, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9272209

Texas allergies, that's all

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9272281

You mean I've been allergic to Texas goofiness all my life? Or maybe my kids are allergic to goofiness, and not dust, mold, mites, animals, crustaceans, homework, wheat, and whatever else the doctors are saying? Hmmmm, it somehow sorta makes sense.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 11, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9272313

Your learning .

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9272341

^_^

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America