TEXAS: its a whole nother world, thankfully !

Rancho Santa Rita, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome Carrie, who will be moving here
shortly from the cold, dark north.

I thought, as a welcome gift, it would be
nice to tell (prepare,LOL) her how things
are down here.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Who's Carrie & from what cold, dark north is she coming ?

Are you going to give her free air conditioning for the summer, so she can breath ?

You will not need to change out your
winter wardrobe and summer wardrobe.

Occasionallty it will snow overnight and
be hot by afternoon - or vice-versa.

Arlington, TX

Well to be honest with her you should also tell her that many people stay in doors for a long hot time down here. I would take a cold winter for a nice spring summer and fall myself.

Carrie, people are friendly and from all over the world so you will find it a nice place to live. But, hot does not even begin to describe how miserable the weather can be...
On a happier note, you can grow some cacti outdoors.
Cheryl

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

And take hope because some if us former northerners do think that the hot summers are a worthwhile exchange for the milder winters. I'm never moving north again!

You can wear sandals, shorts, white shoes
and accessories and pastel colors all year
round, or r, if you prefer, long pants, sweaters
indoors and black all the time (but it will just
make you feel hotter.

Arlington, TX

I would agree with you Dennis but another summer like the last one might just change my mind...

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

No matter how freakin hot it gets - you'll NEVER have to stand outside and scrape the sun off your windshield.

LOL,2nd

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

newton, it isn't HOT yet, and from where north? Texas has a LOT of different regions- desert to seashore - to piney woods, or even the prairies, but best of all, whenever anyone comes home to the Texas borders, you can here em shout I'm HOME! There's NOWHERE like Texas! (Of course, we understand when that is also the downside of being home) Chuckl

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

You can't stand on a frozen lake & fish like here.
Snow skiing don't go good there either, I bet.

We have BLUEBONNETS !

Arlington, TX

LOL I do enjoy this argument! No but when its a 106 I have to wipe the sweat off my face.
C

Cheryl, I heard they do that in MA & ME & MI & MN, too !

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I wipe the sweat off at night in the winter wherever I sleep, but that's a different thread!

Thank you very kindly for starting this thread in my honor. (I'm Carrie, and I approve this thread?) I don't know what to say! How about I'm ALWAYS cold in other people's air conditioning so I'm a little worried about movie theaters, restaurants, other people's cars and houses but I'm sure we can work something out. DH and I always go somewhere warm on vacation -- ice fishing or even skiing or ice skating are activities that have never held any appeal for me, although I agree you would have an easier time doing them in MN than in TX. (I love to swim, especially in the warm ocean, like the Caribbean, so that's what I'm thinking of when I talk about hot vacations.)

DH works for JetBlue, which is starting at DFW in May. We can fly to Aruba or Mexico for free, which is the only way we can afford to, as long as we go at the wrong time of year. I can't imagine my bones being as cold after the short slightly cooler Texas winter as they are after the very long cold New England, nor can I imagine going to Mexico from Texas the way you would go from Boston (I would go) when it's April or May, not so touristy but I'm not warmed up yet. No, I think I will be warmed up! So now maybe we will travel in Texas to see all the things I never saw--or back East to see my parents.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

If you veggie garden, you can garden in the "winter" here!

During the summer, you learn to do things in the very early mornings or after dark when it's "cooler".

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Carrie, you'll feel like you're in Aruba or Mexico without leaving home!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I tried tomatoes in MA--I had to use super fast ripening ones and still barely had time to ripen completely, although hornworms did me in before frost did. But they were SO MUCH WORK for so few wimpy tomatoes; I should have tried potatoes.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I did buy a new bathing suit...but that's to cover my new surgery scar.

It's really hard to know what to pack. The 'relocation company' will move whatever we want moved (only one piano, the bums) and no live plants (as I said, the bums) but conceivably stuff like lawn furniture or potting soil or toothpaste that I stocked up on. We didn't think we'd be moving! He told me he wouldn't get the job, he was too old, they were sure to chose someone younger, hipper, sexier, whatever. Yadda yadda yadda. So I continued stocking up on all the stuff we always need, and now we have a lot of stuff!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Snow in Texas is limited to Amarillo in the shade, we do our skiing in the water. And we siesta after lunch, chuckle

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Thats a bad habit, that stocking up, sorry, what you bring you'll be able to use or trade, safer down here than losin it to critters- or electric power outages- or floods.

North Richland Hills, TX

I second Stephanie, you can go out and pick something for dinner for your garden year round.

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

Other than the weather and the friendly people, the next best thing about Texas is the food! BBQ and mexican are at the top of my list. I am really convinced that I was born in the wrong part of the country...

We just had brisket at Baker's Ribs in Dallas. I highly recommend it.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It does snow here in North Texas, about once every other year or so. We do get ice frequently, which is worse than snow. Here's my street, Feb, 2011.

Arlington, TX

Now I never produced as much sweat as I do here in TX. The first time sweat ran down my face, I thought a bird pooped on me! That is a true story. I always thought I was lacking in sweat glands but not now.
I have learned to like dry rub BBQ, so that is a definate plus.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's neat seeing the towns you guys are from. I mean we just got back from a week in TX house-hunting a car-shopping. So now I mostly know sort of where Grapevine, Arlington and North Richland Hills are relative to each other and to Dallas or Fort Worth. I've been lurking around this forum just as an impartial observer -- probably the first time I came as a guest was in March or so -- but the names of the places didn't mean anything to me. But we looked at a house in North Richland Hills.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Don't forget sports are VERY important here! In the DFW Metroplex, you have the Dallas Stars (hockey), Dallas Mavericks (basketball), Texas Rangers (baseball) and Dallas Cowboys.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I've heard that from other people, too. I only know the rules to baseball....what a loser.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That's okay because the Rangers have been better than any of the others the past several years! LOL

Tou hear many languages around here- especially Spanish,
English, Texan, and Spanglish

Pretty soon you will find yourself using some of the same
words

In Texas we dont need no
stinkin snow tires!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's a relief! No stupid little things to put down on top of the icy patch when your all-weather tires aren't working, right, not those instead? It's not a cruel joke, NO GETTING STUCK IN SNOW PERIOD? I totally didn't think about that. I was just thinking about not being cold, or what if I were cold. I forgot about how awful driving in the winter is! And EVERY year I get stuck in the driveway at least once. OMG.

North Richland Hills, TX

While that is true Baja I have to say that on the rare occasions when it does snow here this snowgirl (spent about half my life in very snowy climates) won't leave the house. It's not that I don't know how to drive in the snow... (I'll let you finish that sentence) :)

wELL occasionally in an ice storm we will get stuck in the ice ib the driveway
and have to wait no more than a few hours to a day for EVERYTHING to
melt

But when we have an ice stirm, EVERYTHING sgurs down and peope
other than emergency personnel just stay gome

When ice is predicred, there is a run on the grocery stores
for victuals and firewood abd just enjoy the day or two off
and nest !

A time for baking cookies, making lasagne and hot chocolate,
irish coffee and chili .

Since it happens so seldom,it is a holiday !

dinsihing the sentence:

because Texans DONT KNOE hoe to drive in icy weather ~

And it true - I am native Texasm from tropical Texas.

When we moved here 25 years ago, it lightly snowed and
I innocently drove to work in the snow - and of more than
80 employees I was the only one who showed up !

and it was payday and they STILL didnt show

I didnt know we would get paid leave ... I learned MY lesson !

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! I can't keep up with this welcome... sounds like Ms Carrie is coming home.

I was going to comment on the occasional snow. It is a holiday as Baja said. The schools close and folks stay home. When we first moved here, there was a snow and DH was the only tracks into town to work. Even my boss called and said stay home. I thought Yippee!

I think you will love the climate and not to worry about the heat. Everything is airconditioned. You can work outdoors and come in to cool down when needed.

BTW, after your comment about your honey "he was too old, they were sure to chose someone younger, hipper, sexier, whatever" you better look at that guy closer. LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Only thing about Dallas Stars is they had to get them from Minnesota. At the time Dallas had no idea what hockey was.

Arlington, TX

No getting stuck in the driveway Carrie and definately no snow tires, chains etc. I always stick up for my northern (yankee) roots but its all for fun. It is hotter than hell here but it beats a long dark and very cold winter. Besides, I like cactus and find Texans a very friendly and proudful lot. Welcome and I know you will enjoy your new home as much as I do.
Cheryl

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Carrie, when I first moved to Texas (from North Louisiana) chuckle. I was attending the University of Houston and got out of my car at school dressed in jeans and a sweat shirt. Out of the car ahead of me in the next row a woman got out of her car, zipped up a fur lined parka, pulled the hood up and tied it under her chin before hiking to class. It was 45*. I almost died laughing. The joke is on me however, after living here for about 10 years, I was doing the same thing. When I first got here, I remember thinking that if an alien landed here in August, he would go back and report the planet too hot for human habitation. Ive adjusted to the heat somewhat as well. Texas creates a sort of opposite world where you need your sweater or coat in the summer because the AC is so cold in buildings and in the winter the buildings are so hot you need to wear something cool under your winter coat so you can take off your coat and be comfortable. There are a lot more bugs here than you are probably used to. My house was new when I moved here and my first set of plants were all eaten completely. Later I was able to get a little ecosystem going with frogs and lizards and some things began to survive. I still dont have a solution for the mosquitos. IF ANYONE DOES, PLEASE POST HERE.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL on the parka. We felt that way when we first moved to the south from MN. Laughing at the kiddos wearing mittens and parkas on their way to school when we were in short sleeves. Now, the blood has thinned out. Never owned long johns till we moved here and now, if I put them on, I keep them on all winter. Guess the joke is on me but it is a damp cold and rather bone chilling.

Bernie ~ you sound like my husband. He grumbles as there are rarely players on any of the sports teams that grew up in the state they are representing. All it takes is money...

On the mosquitoes, we have a customer that wears those spiral citronella bands around his hat and his cuffs. Rather looks like one of those aliens you mentioned Steadycam. LOL Kristi

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.