Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Rain guard for hanging feeder

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 5, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 22, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9093014

Can anyone think of something I could use for my metal hanging feeder to keep the rain off the feed?I would have to have a good overhang,the only thing I came up with was a metal or plactic trash can lid put over the top.I know someone must have an idea.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #9093050

sounds like a good idea to me but you would have to make it stay on some how with blowing rain and still be water proof
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9094888

We can use 55 gallon metal barrels to burn trash in out in the country. I had one of the cut out ends to cover my feeder, with a large brick to hold it down. but I just had the feeder sitting on the ground. You would have to get a little more elaborate to have it all hanging.
Probably what ever you use for the cover, you would need to drill a hole in the center to allow the heavy wire, or whatever you use to hang it with, to pass through and attach to the handle of the feeder.
I intend to eventually hang a feeder, in my coop as well but I was pushing myself to get coop built and setup before the broilers got too big for the box in the garage. The Broilers are all big now.
So soon the coop will just have a dozen layers in it and I won't need such a large feeder.
I will probably attach one to the side of my portable coop. and make a hinged lid for it. As I borrowed a feeder from a neighbor, who planned to wait until August to start his.
So if I wanted to hang a metal feeder I would still have to go buy one. I plan ( at this time yet ) just to use one I made.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 23, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9094904

Good idea thanks.I bought a squirrel baffle today and was going to try that but its not big enough.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

April 23, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9095210

Was hoping that would help a little. Just thought of something else of course it would have to be bought. They have plastic or fiberglass pans that are for water heaters to set in and have a drain in case your water heater starts leaking. I have seen some at Menards, Probably Lowes in your area. Possibly Home Depot.
Good luck
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 24, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9095460

Thanks will check that out

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America