Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Container Gardening: Allamanda blanchetii Cherries Jubilee in a hanging basket??

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ionltd
Windsor, IL

April 22, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9093441

This may be a dumb question...

Would it work to use Allamanda blanchetii in a hanging basket in my zone?

I read that it's also known as Mandevilla and Mandevilla works well in baskets, but I haven't found anything that says Allamanda is hanging basket worthy.

Are they really the same plant? Will it grow and bloom enough to make a good showing in a basket? Will it grow too long??

Thanks in advance!!

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9093451

Allamanda and Mandevilla are two different types of plants--same family but have never been synonyms of each other that I'm aware of. The other name that you'll find for some Mandevilla species is Dipladenia, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

I grew Allamanda 'Cherries Jubilee' a few years ago and it's a bit too upright to work well in a hanging basket--if you look at the pics in Plant Files you'll see that it's mostly an upright grower. Depending on the conditions it's grown in, it might flop a bit but I don't think it would be an ideal hanging basket candidate. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/214322/
ionltd
Windsor, IL

April 22, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9093729

Thanks for your answer

I'm positive I read that the two were synonyms. It said "also known as Mandevilla" when describing Allamanda. I'll try to find it and post the link

ionltd
Windsor, IL

April 23, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9093960

Wow, I found many sites saying the two were synonymous. Just google "Allamanda also known as Mandevilla" and you'll see what I mean...tons of them.

In the process I found many saying Allamanda would make a great hanging basket. I think I'll give it a shot

Thanks for putting me on the right track!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9094111

Most likely what you're seeing is people using allamanda or mandevilla as a common name to refer to a plant of the other genus. As far as the Latin names go, Allamanda and Mandevilla are different genera and as far as I know have never been considered part of the same genus (at least not any time recently).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America