Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants: A little further south

Communities > Forums > Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Top Ten Stress-free PlantsReplies: 2, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

April 23, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9093858

Many of the plants you mention grow equally well here in the middle of the southern tier of the Midwest with two notable exceptions. Columbine grows well further north but struggles here and sometimes goes dormant or just dies out in the summer heat and Persian lilacs seem to survive the heat and humidity best here. However I would add to the list of hardy, relatively care-free, all season bloomers for those of us living a bit further south the crepe myrtle, perennial lantana, guara, Russian sage, Knock Out roses, four o'clocks, cone flower (and other wildflower near natives like coreopsis and gallardia), and purple heart.
treesmoocher
Spencer, WV

April 23, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9094049

What's purple heart?
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

April 23, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9094593

http://bloomiq.com/purple-heart
Tradescantia pallida
I first grew it this as a houseplant further north and then found out it will overwinter here in OKC and farther south. It's easy to propagate by breaking off a stem at a joint and inserting the stem directly into the soil where it is to grow or by rooting a stem in soil less potting mixture. The tops die back in the winter but it comes back from the roots. It is reliably perennial here if planted in full sun but it may well be an annual/houseplant if planted any farther north. I think another common name for it is Moses in the Basket.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Top ten tops with me Hemophobic 14 Apr 23, 2012 5:50 AM
Daylily ACWinOH 0 Mar 9, 2009 3:00 PM
Rose of Sharon. GrandmaEdie 3 Apr 23, 2012 12:14 PM
Tired cottages lortay 0 Mar 11, 2009 11:55 AM
germinating annual sweet peas... mainegrdner 0 Mar 16, 2009 11:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America