Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda: great info!

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking SodaReplies: 2, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thatswho
Endicott, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9094020

Thanks for this! I've heard most of them, but didn't know the truth. I also didn't know about not planting trees in extra organic material. In my area, half of what comes out of the hole are rocks, though, so I guess it would be better to use a bag of regular topsoil than compost to make up the difference .

I have powdery mildew problems most years, and was going to try the baking soda. The instructions did say to use it early, but now I'm not so sure I should bother. What do you recommend?

Depressing news about municipal compost, although not surprising. I hope our local organic farms, which sell at the area farmer's markets, are not using it! It's certainly something to ask them about before buying.

How do heavy metals get into cow and chicken manure?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 25, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9097819

My guess is from pesticides?
I found out recently - but it could have happened a long time ago, and surely the FDA has banned it by now???? But a little arsenic was added to chicken feed so they will gain a lot of weight and gives the skin this golden yellow color that we like to see in chicken.

With the obsesity rates so high in the United States; I some times wonder if it is not some heavy metal like arsenic, or lead, or mercury, or aluminium which is the main ingredient after the pathogen protein in vaccines to get our immune system to react to the pathgen.
Not all farmers do this, nor is it common practice. I know because my uncles and father raised fryers back in the 60s and I never heard of such a thing - and feed was made at our local feed store -- the only thing I heard them discussing was how much protein should be added. And of course the layers (hens for laying eggs) needed more calcium and protein. My grandfather ran a serious bussiness of supplying eggs to the whole region of our state. He had three chicken houses each with 20,000 hens.
I did hear that Popeye chicken were the ones that practiced this.
I really don't know what Popeyed chicken is though. Do you know? Is it something like Colonel Sanders?
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 25, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9097824

As for cows and that type of manure. Hmmmm again pesticides to keep down flies if it is from dairy cows. Maybe if it is milk cows - something to wash the tits??? But that is just chlorine water - I thought but it might be something weird? Who knows - they could use mercury in the wash to make sure they kill all the germs.

Surely not!.

Oh, heavy metals are in mice poison - isn't it.
Mice and rats not such a problem with cattle but for some reason chickens - rats and mice are a horrible big problem.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2012 8:36 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks riceke 6 Apr 25, 2012 6:58 PM
book treesmoocher 0 Apr 23, 2012 6:35 AM
Thank you! GREENSIDEUP 0 Apr 23, 2012 6:50 AM
Citrus peel DOES kill ants! HoneybeeNC 5 Apr 23, 2012 6:15 PM
Ant Defense papa1 3 Apr 25, 2012 6:45 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America