Photo by Melody

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda: Citrus peel DOES kill ants!

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking SodaReplies: 5, Views: 94
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9094074

I have to disagree with the statement that citrus peel does not kill ants.

I used to live in South Florida where there is a huge fire ant problem. We killed fire ant nests by taking FRESH citrus peel and while standing over the nest, tearing the peel into small pieces and dropping it into the nest.

We also spread FRESH grapefruit peel over the lawn and used a mower to tear it up.

Don't mix the peel with the juice - that doesn't work!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9094356

Interesting, Honeybee. It sounds like all ants cannot be treated the same. Here we have Argentine ants and they are always on my grapefruits, their own personal mealybug ranch. Of course, chopped up peels are not the same thing as an intact grapefruit, either.
kentepoz
Malinalco
Mexico

April 23, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9094434

Right Kelli, ants are not the same - our leaff-cutting ants chop up the citrus peel in the compost pile and cart it to their own underground compost heaps where they use it to grow the fungus they feed on. One man's poison...

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9094795

As I said this topic will stir a lot of debate, what works for one doesn't always work for another.
Thanks for the comment.

Paul
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9094831

It's a good article.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9095128

We have a couple of pest control companies here that use citrus oil spray to kill and/or drive carpenter ants out of people's houses. I don't have personal experience, but they wouldn't use it if it didn't work. Our entomologist at the Extension office agrees. As it's been said above, it must depend upon the type of ant.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks riceke 6 Apr 25, 2012 6:58 PM
book treesmoocher 0 Apr 23, 2012 6:35 AM
great info! thatswho 2 Apr 25, 2012 6:32 PM
Thank you! GREENSIDEUP 0 Apr 23, 2012 6:50 AM
Ant Defense papa1 3 Apr 25, 2012 6:45 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America