Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Flies on my dead Persimmon

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 1, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PAMSPACE
Temperanceville, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9094079

I planted 2 American Persimmon trees 5 years ago. Both we doing wonderfully, but this year only one leafed out. The other is bare sticks, when I looked closely I see all these little fly-type bugs eating the buds. Is there a bug that attacks American Persimmons or are they scavenging a tree that died for another reason? Any theories????????? If I can do anything to save the other tree I would be at least halfway happy.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9098080

I'd just say try to get another one soon because it is dioecious (not self fruiting) - http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/trees/plants/persimmon.htm Under Faunal Associations there, it lists quite a few bugs to choose from.
I have one about 8 years old and 20 feet tall about, it is real nice so far. I have another little one that I grew from a seed 2 years ago, I need to get it planted sometime soon, so I'll have fruit! lol
But this 6 year old one has great Fall color, almost an iridescent look in October. Here's a photo that I made a while back to show before and after of it. -

edited to fix the link, it didn't include .htm, operator error.. : )

This message was edited Apr 26, 2012 8:42 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America