Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants: Pests?

Communities > Forums > Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plantsReplies: 5, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9094140

Do you normally have any critter problems? Squirrels, rabbits, gophers? And if so, do the bags keeps them out?

Great article

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9094198

Hey there quiltygirl, I have squirrels, raccoons, skunks, deer, feral cats, and neighborhood hounds that rummage and tramp through my little yard, but none have disturbed the Totes . . . YET! I do add companion plants to the Totes (or around them) and some repel 4-legged critters as much as the bugs, so I don't have conclusive evidence the Totes have anything to do with the critters leaving them alone. I also set the Totes in groups for support and they're not easily knocked, or blown, over (I hope that makes sense). I will pay more attention this year since you've peaked my curiosity!

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.
Have a good garden season,
--
Bev
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9098050

We have some roofing felt that is like the weed barrier fabric. I will need to test to see if it drains. It is dirty in a roll outside, so I would be hesitant to use my good sewing machine to sew it, lol.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9098207

I don't know if the roofing felt would work or not, feed sacks or old clothes will work in a hurry for sure!
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9098464

When we buy grain or alfalfa pellets for our horses, they come in plastic lined paper bags. Aren't feed sacks fabric? Is that from chicken feed? Hmmm, clothing? Sheets might be good because of the tight weave.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
8:48 AM

Post #9098521

I don't buy feed anymore, but others have stated their feed comes in burlap sacks and plastic-coated woven thread (or a plastic mesh) bags . . . don't know what kind of critter the feed was for. Clothes, like old jeans, polyester knits (suggestion made in another thread), or any heavy man-made clothing fabric, should work for the purpose. Check around to see what you might utilize!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh, nice one, Bev Cville_Gardener 14 Apr 23, 2012 9:55 AM
Other plants? martyR 1 Apr 23, 2012 7:36 AM
Terrific! thatswho 1 Apr 23, 2012 7:44 AM
Alternate Fabric? DesertRattess 5 Apr 25, 2012 8:07 PM
very intriguing . . . plantkiller46 3 May 2, 2012 4:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America