Photo by Melody

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda: Ant Defense

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking SodaReplies: 3, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
papa1
Dearborn, MI
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9094192

I recently read that cornmeal will kill ants. They will take it to their nest and consume it but cannot digest it. I haven't tried it and wonder if it works.
slilycat
Fox Island, WA
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9094273

I live in the South Sound WA area and have used corn meal on anthills. It does seem to work, though not instantly. Several applications are necessary so I keep a container of cornmeal nearby. It is not enough to sprinkle it on top, work it into the hill. Of 5 large hills from a year ago, 4 are completely gone. One returned and I'm treating it now. Of all the small hills, all are gone. However, I do think of the 4 large hills, some relocated. I think the trick is to find them before they get too big and douse them with cornmeal as deeply as possible. One of these huge hills is completely gone and it was 4 feet tall when I moved here!
holly85749
Tucson, AZ

April 23, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9094369

We have harvester ants here in the desert and I have been told that cream of wheat does the same. I tried it, but haven't been consistent enough to know whether it works or not. Funny, I could only find the 'variety pack' and thought that using the flavored packets might just be tempting fate. I figured I might have them forever, but somehow, all the other packets mysteriously disappeared!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 25, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9097853

Holly somebody getting up at night and eating them?

Borax is what my grandmother-in- law told me that worked. And it does.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks riceke 6 Apr 25, 2012 6:58 PM
book treesmoocher 0 Apr 23, 2012 6:35 AM
great info! thatswho 2 Apr 25, 2012 6:32 PM
Thank you! GREENSIDEUP 0 Apr 23, 2012 6:50 AM
Citrus peel DOES kill ants! HoneybeeNC 5 Apr 23, 2012 6:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America