Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda: compost

Communities > Forums > Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda
bookmark
Forum: Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking SodaReplies: 3, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
woodenshoe62
Ogdensburg, WI
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9094492

We had a mild winter here in Wisconsin and sad to see it but I have no nice black compost, just a layer of apples on the bottom..rotted of course and then layers of leaves and food scraps from the winter months. Is there anything I can do to make this still work for me? Any ideas would be appreciated.

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9094788

Add some grass clippings for nitrogen stir it a couple of times a week and it will break down fairly quickly.

dyzzypyxxy

dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 23, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9095147

Again, I think it depends where you are and what your soil is like. Here we have nothing but sand, and if you don't add organic material all it does is hold the plant up until it dies. Water and nutrients whiz through without hardly slowing down.

When I plant I start with an extra big hole, since it's so easy to dig. I mix compost with the soil from the hole, then top-dress well out so that the organic stuff works down, then mulch. I also top-dress every spring because the compost breaks down so fast in our moist hot summers.

Sorry, but I think it's a bit irresponsible to make such a blanket statement that you should never add compost when planting. It's different everywhere!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

April 25, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9097910

Dyzzypyxxy
If you are planting in sand - and not on the beach - life if too easy for you :)
Plus, you have almost all year long to grow your stuff.
Yeap - too easy and ye shouldn't complain.
I gardened for 20 years in clay and rocks, moved to the bay area in Michigan and O Lordy - I planted five acres and it was a breeze.
Then I moved back home, and the first thing I did was plant some shallow blueberries, but I had forgotten how hard it was and - it liked to have KILLED ME. Almost died of a heart attack, face all red, felt like my blood vessels were going to pop through the top of my head.
I am okay now - I'm use to it again.
But what was said about filling in the hole with good easy loose dirt was so very - very true in hard rocky soil. The tree and plant just does not do good. Mulching is a different story though!

Now with blueberries in rocky soil mulch the dickens out of it so the roots can grow in that and not fight the rock and clay, and tilling in a bunch of peat or saw dust is a good idea too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Garden Myths Busted: Citrus, Compost and Baking Soda Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks riceke 6 Apr 25, 2012 6:58 PM
book treesmoocher 0 Apr 23, 2012 6:35 AM
great info! thatswho 2 Apr 25, 2012 6:32 PM
Thank you! GREENSIDEUP 0 Apr 23, 2012 6:50 AM
Citrus peel DOES kill ants! HoneybeeNC 5 Apr 23, 2012 6:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America