Photo by Melody

Beginner Vegetables: Black spots on tomato seedlings - fungus or bugs?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 7, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SummerLuna
Williamsburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2012
11:07 AM

Post #9094501

Hi everyone,
The two photos here are of the black spots affecting my seedling tomato leaves. These tomatoes have been outside hardening off for the last 10 days, so it's hard to believe they've caught a fungus when they're finally out of the stuffy greenhouse! Am I wrong? Does it look like fungus to you?

Here's my plan:
1) pinch off damaged leaves
2) spray remaining leaves with weak camomile tea...an antifungal.

Do you think my plan is enough to nip this in the bud? If folks here think it's definately fungal, I'll go buy a commercial antifungal too. It's affecting the majority of my tomato plants and I don't want to lose them.

Your opinion is appreciated!!
Belinda

Thumbnail by SummerLuna   Thumbnail by SummerLuna
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9094618

Post your pics on the Tomatoes forum. You'll get many expert answers there.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 23, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9094729

Looks about the same like the damage I got from sucking insects. I see green and brown tiny crickets flying of the plants when they are brushed.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9095273

It also resembles damage done by white flies. They are seen on the underside of the leaves. And as Birke said, they will fly when the foliage is brushed.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9095333

They can also make the leaves sticky from their excretement. It's called honey dew. Have you seen any small flying bugs or are the leaves sticky? I can honestly say that I have not seen that on leaves before, and I thought i'd seen everything.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9095707

If it's white flies, hit em with some soapy water (lemon Ajax or some citrus scent). I have those for the first time. Mine look like fuzzy little flies. Not any damage that I can see, cause I stay after them.
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 24, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9095725

And remember if these are white flies or crickets or thrips or whatever insect, you have to keep spraying if you go organic. They will be back.
SummerLuna
Williamsburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

April 24, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9095773

Thanks for your suggestions! A couple of the plants did have that sticky residue, and I wondered what it was. But I haven't seen an infestation. I have seen a couple aphids(I think), and a LOT of spiders. Perhaps the spiders are catching them at a rate that keeps the population down to some degree. I will try the soapy water.
Thanks, again,
Belinda

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America