Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants: very intriguing . . .

Communities > Forums > Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plantsReplies: 3, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantkiller46
Yellville, AR

April 23, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9094621

I am intrigued. If I am understanding this procedure, you plant the seed potato in the dirt "under" the bag, then add enough dirt to cover the potato piece. Then cover with mulch such as chopped leaves, grass clippings or some kind of mulch and keep covering it with same until the bag is unrolled it's full height. When the plant dies back are there potatoes in the mulch or just in the dirt under the bag? My sweet potato slips will be ready to go in the ground in a couple of weeks and this is 'very interesting'. I also found some irish potatoes sprouting in my cellar yesterday and have some cat litter plastic mesh weave bags I'd like to plant them in if I am understanding this procedure correctly.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9094701

plantkiller46, You understood correctly all except the potatoes should be placed in a closed-bottom bag. The video shows my first prototype Tote with a hole in the bottom that I found unnecessary. Sprinkle a bit of compost, soil, and manure in the bottom of the Tote and cover the seed potato with a little more. Then proceed with mulching and rolling up the sides of the Tote as needed (some folks prefer to use additional soil instead of the mulch). The potatoes are formed within the mulch and can be harvested by dumping/inverting the Tote.

I have never grown sweet potatoes, but a friend has. She says they will grow just fine in the Totes. I hope you can utilize the plastic mesh bags and have a ton of taters!! Thank you for reading and posting your comment. I may have confused others with the difference it what I wrote and the what the video instructed.
--
Bev
plantkiller46
Yellville, AR

May 2, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9107605

Thanks for the update. I'll get to planting tomorrow morning, I am very curious. My in-ground potatoes are a foot tall or so now with the unusually warm spring and I have been adding dirt to their wooden "corral" my spouse made for them, but I am shoveling dirt in the spring to cover them as they grow and then digging them out again when they are mature. That's a lot of shoveling. If I can us bags I can put them along the fence then I can plant onions in the 'potato corral' and utilize the onion patch for other plants! I am excited!! Thanks again for a great idea.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9107621

You're very welcome. Sounds like you have a good plan!

Have a good gardening summer!
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tater Totes: DIY fabric pots for potatoes & other plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh, nice one, Bev Cville_Gardener 14 Apr 23, 2012 9:55 AM
Other plants? martyR 1 Apr 23, 2012 7:36 AM
Terrific! thatswho 1 Apr 23, 2012 7:44 AM
Pests? quiltygirl 5 Apr 26, 2012 8:48 AM
Alternate Fabric? DesertRattess 5 Apr 25, 2012 8:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America