Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Bird Watching: Hybrid Teal in Texas

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 5, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cshirsch
Sugar Land, TX

April 23, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9095083

I posted a different photo of the this teal when I first saw it a few months ago. I thought it was a Baikal Teal that somehow ended up in Texas. I went back numerous times and caught some much better shots of it. Most experts call it a Blue-winged/Green-winged Teal hybrid. Whatever it is, I sure hope it survives to come back to southeast Texas again.

Chris

Thumbnail by cshirsch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

April 23, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9095295

Wow very colorful duck! Nice pic Chris!

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9095810

That is a beautiful bird!
ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 24, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9095816

I can see why you went back for more photos. It's just beautiful and I hope it will return too.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9096000

Weirdo thing!

Must admit, I can't see much evidence for Green-winged Teal there, my guess would be a Blue-winged teal crossed with an escaped Baikal Teal.

Baikal Teal is fairly popular in captivity, and (at least in Britain) reports of escapees are not that rare, and once one gets away, it'll have to find something different to pair up with.

Resin
cshirsch
Sugar Land, TX

April 24, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9096439

Hey Resin, glad to see you are still here. There is a man in Germany that is publishing a book on hybrids and this photo will be included. He is pretty sure it is a cross between a Blue-winged and a green-winged teal. Many others think the same. Some theorize that the Baikal was the first teal and all other breeds after them carry the Baikal teal gene. They have certainly done more research on the subject than I ever will. Anyway, I am very glad that got to photograph the guy and spread the image around some.

Chris

here's another shot of the hybrid

Thumbnail by cshirsch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America