Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SINCE SOWS SUCCESSFULLY CUCURBITA LAGENARIA SICERARIA? GOURD

PUNTO FIJO, Venezuela

HELLO TO ALL.
FABULOUS THIS WEB PAGE, I EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO FIND THE RESPONSE TO MY PROBLEM. MY COUNTRY HAS A TROPICAL CLIMATE ALL THE YEAR ROUND, IN MY CITY IT RAINS LITTLE AND THE NATURAL VEGETATION IS MAINLY OF CACTUS. THE FACT IS THAT I HAVE TRIED TO CULTIVATE SQUASH (CUCURBITA, GOURD) AND THE PLANTS ARE BORN VERY BEAUTIFUL BUT WHEN THEY HAVE APPROXIMATELY ONE MONTH THEY ARE BECOMING FADED AND DIE. WHAT IS FAILING? CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A GOOD ADVICE THAT HELPS ME?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH I'M CHARMED OF BEING IN THIS FORUM.

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

Godchild - In the eastern U.S. we have an insect called the Squash Vine Borer that kills cucurbita plants in the way that you describe. Possibly you have the same kind of insect or one that's similar in Venezuela, I don't know.

Here's an article about the Squash Vine Borer and what to do to protect your plants. According to the article, if you don't have the borers your problem could be bacterial wilt or the larva of the cucumber beetle. Best wishes.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/squashvborer.html

PUNTO FIJO, Venezuela

THANK YOU OZARK FOR YOUR HELP.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Lagenaria siceraria is about as pest free as cultivated plants get. It is susceptible to mosaic virus, fusarium wilt and fruit rots. Insect pests include white flies and nematodes. It is not not susceptible to squash vine borer. I would suspect that you have wilt ( plants turn yellow before dying)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.