Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: SINCE SOWS SUCCESSFULLY CUCURBITA LAGENARIA SICERARIA? GOURD

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 3, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GODCHILD
PUNTO FIJO
Venezuela

April 23, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9095294

HELLO TO ALL.
FABULOUS THIS WEB PAGE, I EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO FIND THE RESPONSE TO MY PROBLEM. MY COUNTRY HAS A TROPICAL CLIMATE ALL THE YEAR ROUND, IN MY CITY IT RAINS LITTLE AND THE NATURAL VEGETATION IS MAINLY OF CACTUS. THE FACT IS THAT I HAVE TRIED TO CULTIVATE SQUASH (CUCURBITA, GOURD) AND THE PLANTS ARE BORN VERY BEAUTIFUL BUT WHEN THEY HAVE APPROXIMATELY ONE MONTH THEY ARE BECOMING FADED AND DIE. WHAT IS FAILING? CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME A GOOD ADVICE THAT HELPS ME?
THANK YOU VERY MUCH I'M CHARMED OF BEING IN THIS FORUM.

Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9095393

Godchild - In the eastern U.S. we have an insect called the Squash Vine Borer that kills cucurbita plants in the way that you describe. Possibly you have the same kind of insect or one that's similar in Venezuela, I don't know.

Here's an article about the Squash Vine Borer and what to do to protect your plants. According to the article, if you don't have the borers your problem could be bacterial wilt or the larva of the cucumber beetle. Best wishes.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/squashvborer.html
GODCHILD
PUNTO FIJO
Venezuela

May 14, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9124075

THANK YOU OZARK FOR YOUR HELP.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 15, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9124442

Lagenaria siceraria is about as pest free as cultivated plants get. It is susceptible to mosaic virus, fusarium wilt and fruit rots. Insect pests include white flies and nematodes. It is not not susceptible to squash vine borer. I would suspect that you have wilt ( plants turn yellow before dying)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America