Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Unknown pink flowering shrub

Friendship, NY(Zone 4a)

Can someone tell me the name of this shrub? It is in full bloom now, April 24, in Western New York. It is winter hardy here. Flowers have no smell that I can detect.

Thumbnail by WildwoodSage Thumbnail by WildwoodSage Thumbnail by WildwoodSage
Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Flowering almond, one of my all time favorites

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Must be the Dime Bush. And who said money doesn't grow on trees?

Bretten, Germany

Looks like Deutzia hybrida 'Pink Pom-Pom'

Friendship, NY(Zone 4a)

I believe it is Flowering Almond! Thanks for the quick replies!
I'm going to mark this as solved.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to Deutzia. Definitely not an almond.

Resin

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Another vote for Deutzia.

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

Pictures of my flowering almond for comparison.

Thumbnail by l6blue Thumbnail by l6blue
Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

I'll put my late vote in for Almond: Prunus glandulosa 'Rosea Plena' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65085/
Take a look at the small leaves, lenticels on one of the stems and colour of the stem.

Friendship, NY(Zone 4a)

I ruled out Deutzia because the info I found listed it as summer flowering and this is one of the first things to bloom in the spring.

On what basis do you rule out Flowering Almond?

Coon Rapids, MN(Zone 4b)

The information I can find on Deutzia describes it as having fragrant flowers of up to two inches, blooming May through June. WildwoodSage describes this bush as having no discernible fragrance, and the pictures posted show that the blossoms are about the size of a dime. The photos I found of Deutzia Pink PomPon show much larger leaves than WildwoodSage's plant. I'm in zone 4b, and Friendship, NY appears to be in zone 5a, and my Flowering Almond is in full bloom right now. 5a would be on the northern edge of Deutzia's hardiness range, so it would be unlikely for it to bloom so early there.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

I agree. Something also about the shape - I grew up with a Prunus glandulosa 'Rosea Plena' and it wasn't always a full very small shrub completely as Deutzia typically is. The timing that l6blue mentioned sets the 2 apart. Leaves are different width.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from growin :
I'll put my late vote in for Almond: Prunus glandulosa 'Rosea Plena' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/65085/
Take a look at the small leaves, lenticels on one of the stems and colour of the stem.

I'm not familiar with Prunus glandulosa, but Almond is Prunus dulcis, and this plant isn't that!

Resin

Beautiful, BC(Zone 9b)

It's actually "Flowering Almond"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.