Round Robin Quilt 2012

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

There are now 11 people in this group, and to do this we can now have TWO groups of 5 (I will simply do 2 centers.......). We actually Could add one more person to Group One, if you know of someone, or if you'd like to belong to the larger group 2, or the smaller group 1, please let me know and I'll "rearrange" the groups.

This group is now closed to any new members - We have 2 groups going consequently for a really nice sized quilt.
At the end of April 2013 we will each end up having a large Lap Quilt.

As this is a "multi-site" group project, I will be adding postings between the two sites.
Please bear with me as people may post faster than I can copy/paste. Rest assured though, that we will all get our quilts!
Note: - it has been decided by a majority of members to extend the size of each round / border, so I will be updating the sizes once members have a say in what they think the new sizes should be (not 2" for them.......)

Here's a sample of another group's Round Robin in Blue
[lightbox]2012-04-25/Tallulah_B/3e87a6[/lightbox]

People who have joined:

Tallulah (Susan)
Taters55 (Linda Kay)
Quilter5 (Barb)
Doe 41 (Audrey)
BettyPauze (Betty)
Diamond919 (Anita)
Mitzy (Mittsy)
Anjlsmom (Pat)
BarefootT (Thunder)
Lavonne (Dorothy)
Cherrific (Cher)

End date for all the lap quilts to be back to the originator is one year from the date this thread was started - April 22, 2013
We are re-vamping the size of the borders (as per request by members of the group. Please 'stay tuned' for the change. In the meantime, you can still make your center.

Here are the directions.
1st round-start with a 15 1/2"x24 1/2" inch unfinished center-everyone sends theirs to the next person on the list
2nd round -everyone adds a 2"border to the quilt they are sent. Send to next person on list.
3rd round - everyone adds a 3" border and sends to the next person
4th round - everyone adds a 4" border
5th round - everyone adds a 5" border
6th round - everyone adds a 4" border and then sends back to the next person on the list who will actually be the maker of the center (the owner).

As you finish a round, the next person on the list will always be consistent, you'll be sending each quilt to the same person. So by the time you finally get to the last round, you'll have worked on the quilt that belongs to the person you've sent to all along.
Each round can be appliquéd, pieced, plain fabric or embroidered if you wish. It's up to you to decide what you can do and what you think goes well with the center.

Group One:
1. Susan (sends to Linda Kay)
2. Linda Kay (sends to Barb)
3. Barb (sends to Audrey)
4. Audrey (sends to Betty)
5 Betty (sends to Cher)
6. Cher (sends to Susan)

Group Two
1 Susan (sends to Mitsy)
2 Mittsy (sends to Pat)
3. Patsends to Thunder
4 Thunder (sends to Dorothy)
5 Dorothy (sends to Anita)
6 Anita (sends to Susan)

As of Oct 23, 2012 - Dorothy is unable to continue. Anita is doing her own and Dorothy’s. Dorothy will still get her center of course.

When the originator receives the quilt top back, it is up to them if they want to embellish it, or extend it to be larger.
You can choose to stay within a color scheme or theme such as Christmas or do only red/whites, or do a makers' choice. The sky is the limit and it's such a treasure to get back your quilt and see all the wonderful work everyone from your group has put into the quilt.

People who want to see the "Work in progress"
Mittsy
Thunder
Susan

People who want to be "Surprised"
Barb
Pat
Audrey
Dorothy

This message was edited Oct 27, 2012 3:36 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

Sounds like a lot of fun Susan!

Great!! Glad you found us again Betty lol
How are you feeling? Did you get a good rest?

I forgot to say when we should have our center to the person we send to........

How about if we have the center to our "send to" person by the end of May? That should give us over a month to find a pattern and make our center. Agreed?

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds good.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I would like to join, please add my name to the list. Sounds like fun.

Mittsy

okay Mittsy - will do! You are now officially the last member of the group!!

Thank you for joining our little group, this will be fun!!

I have had a request from BarefootT/Thunder to join the group, now that we have different sizes for the borders.
I told her I would let the group decide, because now this will be larger than a lap quilt (heck, it will be - because of the new sizes of the borders!)
Anyway, let me know

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Rats I was away a couple of days and missed out. I've been wanting to do a RR forever. Oh well I will drool over this one have fun everyone I'll just be over here sulking pay no never mind to the boo hoos your hearing. Lol
Cher

Hey Cher - we could use another person in Group 1, if you'd like to join......... then we'd have 6 in each!!

This is going to be fun - I'm looking forward to it!!

Reminder - The centers are to be sent by the end of May, to the person below you in the list. I can't remember which post it was in, but it was something I posted. Maybe in page 2.....

Each one of us should send our address to the person Above Us in our Group list. That way, they will know the address of the person they are sending to.

As to posting pictures as we go along....... another decision I'd like to ask the group their opinion on (see how diplomatic I am?) (grin)

I would like to be surprised with mine!

y'know what?.......... so would I!! You can never really tell what it looks like during the construction - sorta like renovation. I would Never (for decorating anyway) presume that what I'm seeing in the middle of the job is what it will look like - you can only presume at that stage........ and the additions of each border will change the entire look of the finished project anyway JMHO.

I will go with the majority, however........

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I don't want to know anything about mine from the time I mail the center until it comes back to me at the end. I want to be totatlly surprised....

Well, that's 3 of us......... Any other votes as to whether we post as we get centers/add our "rounds" or wait until we get our quilt tops back, finished?

Just thought of something - maybe the "directions" should be sent with the first center block, so there's a "printed" version.
I know how some of us have periodic computer problems, and having the directions handy is a good thing.
Saving them to Word on your system works if you don't have Internet access, but if your computer itself has problems, you'd lose the instructions anyway.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

How about we post a picture of our centers, before we send them out....then just have chatter and questions...

Sounds good to me!! That way, even with us sending some fabric with our centers, if someone wants to find a specific Other fabric they want to put as a border they can know ahead of time what they want to add.

I don't know if I will be sending fabric with each "sending" I do, but I certainly will send some when I send out my center.
It may not be fabric I would necessarily want with my center, but it may be something "new" that my "send-to" may like for their Own use.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

YAY! This is great ! I like surprises too but sending the center photos is a treat too.

Yes, I like that idea - and will be doing 2, myself, because I'm "heading up" 2 groups. I will do a different one for each group, so not only want to make sure what I'm deciding, but make it different LOL
This is going to be Such Fun!! yaaaaaaaay!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

I am envious of participating but I KNOW it's best I sit this one out. I'll be watching all the fun and drooling all over the pictures when they can finally roll in!

lol ok Pat - I really couldn't add any more to the group now, but...... who knows, you may find another RR to participate in, or (in a year's time) I may start another one!

Two groups, wow. I'll update my address as soon as we are back in NY, but I ask that you not send me anything until I have updated. Sorry, but you know how it is with snowbirds.

lol Mittsy! Well, we'll certainly look for your new address. Guess you're going to be busy when you get back! When Do you Snowbirds head back? May, June?!?!

May, but we visit the grandsons in KY before going home. Won't be long and they will be too old (14 and 16) for granparent's visits.

I have been giving this a lot of thought, and have decided that I (WE) will be making a Christmas quilt for my son in law Ray's mom. She was very taken with the one that I made for Taylor and the one I am making for Hannah. It will be traditional red, green, white, and gold, with lots of embellishments and a touch of sparkly glitter.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

That will keep you busy Mittsy. Do you need any blocks from us???

Or fabric? I would be glad to donate to the cause!

Mittsy - is this the quilt "we're" making with you, and your fabric choices? If so, I have some really beautiful Christmas fabric I can add to yours!
What a wonderful idea (you Did say "WE" so I'm guessing this IS what you meant......?!?!)

Absolutely, I can get by with a little { translate to a LOT} of help from my friends! All of our group swaps have evolved into beautiful quilts that have made many wonderful gifts over the years. If you have something Christmasy do set it aside for your contributing portion of this robin. I also like to make my 2 1/4" bindings on the straight, not bias grain from several different wof strips. So if you can add a strip of coordinating fabric for the binding that would be wonderful.

No problem, Do you want it sent to the address in the exchange?

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Dang, makes me wish I had played, I never thought of doing a Christmas design.

ah well, Karen - maybe another time.......
We're not expecting to finish these tops until Next April, so would be Christmas presents for Christmas 2013.........

This message was edited Apr 28, 2012 5:24 PM

I'm not doing Christmas presents, I'm making tree skirts for all my grands. They actually get them as wedding gifts. I would want round or square for that. You all have fun, I'll just watch.

ok Karen

1st time we post pics will be Centers.
After that, we won't be posting pics until we receive our finished Tops.

As we're making larger tops, I need to see what everyone wants - within the sizes of approx 15 1/2 x 24 1/2, do you want to do squares instead of rectangles?
If squares, I think, to be fair to those adding, that we should Not do 24" centers. If a 15 to 18"" center, with 36" of width additions, would make a square, instead of a rectangle. Again, the originator, (when receiving the finished top back) could add to it to make it larger.

I can see the "challenge" of doing a rectangle, so will leave it Open to the shape of the center to either a square or rectangle IF it will not increase the amount of fabric used by the person adding the round. In other words, do not send a 24" square, as that is definitely larger than 15"x24" (78" diameter total). 19" square would be fine (77" - ish diameter total).

So, to sum up - if you want a square center, you can make Up To a 19" square, and that will not impact the amount of fabric used to make borders. A 19" center makes a 55" square top, once all the borders are on.

I leave it to each individual of the groups.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2012 10:35 AM

I like the rectangle center.

Whatever you want for your center, is Entirely up to you, LindaKay - if you want square, that's fine - if you want rectangle, that's good too. The shape is up to you, as long as it's no more than a diameter of 78 inches.

Linda Kay, you are not in my group, but thanks anyway! I like the rectangle, not a square center.

It doesn't matter which group you're in - the shape of the center is what each individual wants. The people putting the borders on have to put a border around a square or rectangle (whichever the originator created - up to 78" total diameter). Each will take the same amount of fabric to put a border on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.