Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Propagation: Grafting lessons

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 5, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gregr18
Bridgewater, MA
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9096155

I am looking for someone who would be willing to teach me the basics of grafting in the Massachusetts or Rhode Island area. Are there any resources available through which I might be able to find someone who would share their art? I wouldn't mind paying for lessons, but I just can't afford the classes that are available at the Arnold. If anyone has any leads on this, I would be much obliged.

Yours, Greg
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9096672

I would be surprised if there weren't some grafting lessons available somewhere on U-Tube.
gregr18
Bridgewater, MA
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9097569

Hi Zen Man, I appreciate your reply very much, and I have watched UTube videos on the topic, but the two-dimensional nature of the videos makes it a little difficult to determine what's actually going on in three-dimensions. I may just end up going up to the Arnold Arboretum or trying to find a nursery that doesn't mind the distraction of non-employees bugging them about their grafting procedures.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #9102154

I just took a grafting class from the county extension service. Cost was $15; they provided rootstock and scion wood, and we each went home with 5 apple trees we grafted.
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9102942

Hi Greg,

"...but the two-dimensional nature of the videos makes it a little difficult to determine what's actually going on in three-dimensions."

Not that it necessarily matters, but YouTube can display 3D video and movies in a variety of ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ANcspdYh_U

I don't know if there are any 3D grafting videos currently available, and I don't know how enthusiastic you are about watching video in 3D on your home computer. But 3D on YouTube is a reality now. However, I personally don't find the 2D nature of conventional videos a serious impediment to learning from them. And there are a lot of conventional videos on YouTube about grafting.

ZM

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9102951

ZM, 2D or 3D, I thought I had learned a lot from the videos. Hands-on with an instructor showed me details I ddn't get from the videos. I still suggest contacting the county extension service for a class.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America