Grafting lessons

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

I am looking for someone who would be willing to teach me the basics of grafting in the Massachusetts or Rhode Island area. Are there any resources available through which I might be able to find someone who would share their art? I wouldn't mind paying for lessons, but I just can't afford the classes that are available at the Arnold. If anyone has any leads on this, I would be much obliged.

Yours, Greg

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

I would be surprised if there weren't some grafting lessons available somewhere on U-Tube.

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

Hi Zen Man, I appreciate your reply very much, and I have watched UTube videos on the topic, but the two-dimensional nature of the videos makes it a little difficult to determine what's actually going on in three-dimensions. I may just end up going up to the Arnold Arboretum or trying to find a nursery that doesn't mind the distraction of non-employees bugging them about their grafting procedures.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I just took a grafting class from the county extension service. Cost was $15; they provided rootstock and scion wood, and we each went home with 5 apple trees we grafted.

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Greg,

"...but the two-dimensional nature of the videos makes it a little difficult to determine what's actually going on in three-dimensions."

Not that it necessarily matters, but YouTube can display 3D video and movies in a variety of ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ANcspdYh_U

I don't know if there are any 3D grafting videos currently available, and I don't know how enthusiastic you are about watching video in 3D on your home computer. But 3D on YouTube is a reality now. However, I personally don't find the 2D nature of conventional videos a serious impediment to learning from them. And there are a lot of conventional videos on YouTube about grafting.

ZM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

ZM, 2D or 3D, I thought I had learned a lot from the videos. Hands-on with an instructor showed me details I ddn't get from the videos. I still suggest contacting the county extension service for a class.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images