Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchid Cactus: My 1st bloom since finding out what it truly is!

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 12, Views: 204
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9096180

Now that I know what I have I thought I'd share the 1st bloom of this season. My Disocactus ackermannii…..

Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1   Thumbnail by tlm1
Click an image for an enlarged view.

orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9099201

One of my favorites. Ackermanii is very dependable; fast growing and forgiving.
very nice pictures.

Pics: Oxypetalum, Space Rocket, Ackermanii, Mor Mor

Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1   Thumbnail by orchidman1

tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9099331

Great pictures! I love the Oxypetalum…I recently acquired 2 cuttings and can't wait for them to mature and bloom! The Space Rocket and Mor Mor are stunning! Where did you find them?
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9103835

Most were trade offs with other D Gardeners; some were cuttings given to me from on-line friends; most were bought on line from various vendors. I have over 300 named hybrids now and it has gone pass obsession. I'm in my fourth year and they are getting very large and I'm adding on to my greenhouse. I plan on narrowing down plants this Fall maybe. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

April 30, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9104598

orchidman1, You're right, you're beyond obsessed. A word from experience...don't let them get too big. This NOID in a 24" basket is too heavy to move, without help. Luckily, mine live outside year round.

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

June 16, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9167761

Hi OCCAROL,

I'm close to obsessed, just purchased 100 different varieties from a grower on Ebay (a neighbor went 50/50 with me). I count blooms each year. Last year was 85. This year just passed 110.

You say don't let them get to big. You must have a reason for saying that. Encourages obsession? Disease? Don;t bloom so well? Won't stand up in pots? Just curious.

Thumbnail by microb   Thumbnail by microb

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 16, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9168054

Haha! I have two that are in 24" baskets. I can't move them without help, and fear for the tree they're hanging from. They bloom beautifully when they get enough light, but I've run out of limbs that get some sun, so the one in the deep shade bloomed very poorly this year. The weight of them in the 12" plastic hanging pots is causing the pots to break. These plants are heavy!

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

June 16, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #9168111

mine are standing in 1 and 2 gallon pots on wooden benches so hanging weight is not a problem. They just get top heavy and pots start falling over. I'm amazed at their rate of growth, definitely not in character for a cactus. If I cut mine back this year I estimate at least another 100 cuttings would find their way into pots and where does that leave me in another two years. Cuttings from 2 years ago, now in a new greenhouse, are already starting to bloom and pots are falling over.

Is there a 12 step program anywhere for Epi-aholics. Or is that the DG Forum.

Thumbnail by microb   Thumbnail by microb

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 17, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9169381

No 12 step program that I've ever heard of. I have run out of appropiate environment though, so have to stop.
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9170965

Beautiful bloom OC and I do realize that I can't give adequate space/conditions to all my different hybrids, I very much worry about this since I also love my orchid obsession which also demands time, money, and space. I don't have a good answer beyond survival of the fittest. bob

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9196804

Jumping in from Maryland. NOT exactly a tropical kind of a state.

I have had 2 Epis now for 7 years. Got them in a trade from kachinagirl in CA.

Last year--one of them bloomed for the first time--and is covered in buds (15) this summer.
One has opened--and am waiting for all the consecutive blooms to open.

The other one--an "Ackermannii" also was covered in blooms...What's going on?
I keep fearing this may be their Swan Song...

I have to bring them in for thew winter and they hang in semi sun by my LR window.
Yes! They are heavy!!! I always fear they will pull the hook out of the ceiling and come crashing down.
My heaviest is my RicRac cactus. Man! That weighs a ton!!!

How would one go about "cutting it back"??? I would not know where to cut them.
Seems the blooms always come from the old, scraggly fronds. If I cut those back--how soon would it be
before they re-grew?
One of mine--the 2nd picture--is beyond spectacular when in bloom--but the fronds look old and calloused--
yet that is from where all the bloom buds come.

Both of these were re-potted 3 years ago in 10" HB. They really perked up after that...they still are hugely
root bond (I presume they like it that way and blloom better in that state) and I am afraid to "mess with them".
Mind you--I do not live in zone 9 or 10. My zone is 7a. Baltimore. These plants cannot stay out for the winter...

Pic. #1 and #2--my "ackermannii in bloom in June.
Pic. #3 and #4--my "other Epi"--that just bloomed last year for the first time. Do not have a name.
It totally blew me away by its beauty!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9196819

The plant itself, before it blooms, is actually quite ugly.
This is the plant with blooms #3 and#4 in the above post. The "spectacular" one.

The fronds have gray, calloused tops (bottoms are normal green) and very one-sided.
It is hard to even water it--as it tends to just run off.
I do not fertilize these a whole lot--just kind of let then do their own thing.
Should I fertilize? With what?

They also get a semi-dormancy in the house all "winter", which we did not really have this year.

Can any of you tell me why the tops of the older fronds look like this?
Does not seem to affect the plant any.

#1--the whole plant--YUK!
#2--Showing some of the gray, calloused tops to the fronds. What causes this?
#3--This is the top of one of the older fronds just as it is growing out of the pot. Ugly! Cracked!
Yet it supports all the lower growth and bloom buds.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks, Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 8, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9197578

I don't know what causes the ugly leaves, but suspect it's just the natural ageing. Some get much worse than others. You can cut them off anywhere, just making sure you leave some mature growth to bloom. I try to balance the plant when I trim. If you cut it off at the base of the branch, it's gone. If you leave a couple of petioles, it will probably form a couple of new branches. I also turn the plants now and then to try for balanced growth. I give mine time-release fertilizer like Osmocote or Dynomite when they are done blooming, timing it so they get nothing after Oct. In my case our winter rains flush the buildup out of the pots. As soon as I see signs of buds in the spring, I give them bloom booster until they finish blooming.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America