Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

BugFiles How-to's: What is this?

Communities > Forums > BugFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: BugFiles How-to'sReplies: 1, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dondons
Indre
France

April 24, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9096264

This is a bug I have never seen before, does anyone know what it is? It was in my garden in Central France. It's some sort of hammerhead stick insect... Very fascinating! :)

Thumbnail by Dondons
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kennedyh
Churchill, Victoria
Australia
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9133913

I apologise for being so slow to respond. We were struck by lightning and I have been off the internet for nearly a month.

Your interesting creature is rather surprisingly a moth.

It is one of the Plume Moths in the family Pterophoridae: http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/b/Lepidoptera/Pterophoridae/none/none/genus/0/

These have their wings divided into two or more feathers. When at rest you only seem to see one very narrow pair of wings. This picture I took by flash, while one was flapping its wings, shows the wings spread and shows the two components of both fore and hind wings: http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/showimage/13650/

Ken

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other BugFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the BugFiles discussion forum! dave 34 Sep 30, 2013 11:48 AM
Bug identification QC palmbob 9 Jul 22, 2007 9:22 PM
Help to identify please Dea 3 May 3, 2007 11:26 PM
Search feature? melody 40 May 9, 2007 10:17 PM
BugFiles searching Joan 3 May 3, 2007 11:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America